Lex orandi, lex credendi and Religious Ed.-is there an "and?"
  • I just finished reading Jeffrey Tucker's essay at the Cafe about "What's next?", in which he reflects upon the tempest-in-a-teapot reality that was effected by the switch to MR3, and many of the positive outcomes as well as anticipated disappointments. I have been contemplating the very same issues for a pulse-taking opinion piece myself. But before I commence to such frivolity, is anyone aware of any parish or professional religious education programs and products where the catechetical focus begins and ends with liturgical emphases that then bring into the mix the dogmatic and ecclesial curricula?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Is anyone aware of any parish or professional religious education programs and products where the catechetical focus begins and ends with liturgical emphases that then bring into the mix the dogmatic and ecclesial curricula?

No, but I'd be second in line to purchase such programs and products—assuming you'd be the first in line. Incidentally I was mentioning this very catechetical gap to our summer seminarian parish intern earlier this afternoon. "Source and summit" and all that…
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Well, guys and dolls...gals, the older I get and the more compressed the days of year seem, the Monet vision that emerges from the sequence of Easter Vigil initiations, first communions (not so much from the kids themselves), confirmations and baccalaureate Masses is Rouen cathedral obscurred by wet fog. These are liturgies that are the culmination of specific preparations to increase and enhance the initiates' participation and life within the Church's rites and witness to the world. Add to that a reasonable assumption that the young adult/adult cohorts have even a basic comprehension of the tenets of worship and belief based upon those preparations.
    I'm spilling no local beans from my impression here. And because of the Chris Silk article about GenX exodus this may seem to add to the "harbinger of doom" climate.
    I'm really just wondering if it appears to anyone that no one's asking liturgists/musicians about whether there's any accountability between the clerical, religious education and liturgical leadership that assesses whether PIP are actually taught our basic rites.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'd be third in line. Now, I'm not quite old enough to remember things like the Baltimore Catechism, but I am curious of materials of that vintage included more instruction on the liturgy.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of catechesis are you talking about? It's unclear on this side of the Internet.
  • EAF, no pardon needed.
    Simplest answer I can provide:
    Excluding the 2nd graders receiving 1st HC, I question whether most 17 year old confirmandi or most of the elect received into full communion with the Church at Easter could, without missalette in hand, outline the order of Mass, describe the theological import of same, explain the movement and postures, articulate their understanding of Real Presence and how communicating effects both themselves as individuals and in relationship, etc.
    In three notes- why they're there.
    Rule of worship=rule of belief. Are they being taught "how to worship?"
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Your solution would be to structure catechesis on liturgical worship, yes? Sounds good to me. This seems to flush very well with the idea that Confirmation is best conferred before Holy Communion. Schema proposed:

Resolved: Confirmandi preparation should teach how to worship and Holy Communion preparation should teach why. Both should start as early as possible; the former should culminate sooner.

Mark M. said: I am curious of materials of that vintage included more instruction on the liturgy.

My Catholic Faith, a child's catechism of complexity suitable to RCIA, extensively explains the order of Mass in the well-illustrated pages 286 through 293. However, being of "that vintage" it exclusively explains the liturgy of the Vetus Ordo.