Announcement: Brand New Missal & Hymnal for the Extraordinary Form
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    We are praying that this Missal & Hymnal will help many Catholics to "pray the Mass" (St. Pius X).

NLM has the story.

St. Edmund Campion Missal & Hymnal for the Traditional Latin Mass

Click here to learn more.
  • lautzef
    This new missal will be wonderful, but I am wondering what hymns people would be singing at a Tridentine high mass. Aren't hymns in the traditional liturgy for use during the office? For mass, there are the propers and the ordinary, with some psalms. A hymnal seems more like something that would be useful at a low mass with music. I guess maybe that's why they are being included?
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • lautzef
    This new missal will be wonderful, but I am wondering what hymns people would be singing at a Tridentine high mass. Aren't hymns in the traditional liturgy for use during the office? For mass, there are the propers and the ordinary, with some psalms. A hymnal seems more like something that would be useful at a low mass with music. I guess maybe that's why they are being included?
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Congrats on this and especially on your other announcement too, Jeffrey!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • GavinGavin
    There are plenty of opportunities to sing hymns at High Mass / Missa Cantata:

Before the asperges, after Mass, and I believe (though I could be mistaken) that, following the propers and time permitting, a Latin hymn may also be sung at Offertory or Communion.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hello! My understanding is that most Tridentine parishes sing a Hymn after Mass. The Hymn is normally in English.

Also, rightly or wrongly, some Extraordinary Form parishes sing hymns (Latin & English) at Low Mass. This is what was done in the 1940's and 1950's in America, in spite of some legislation.
  • Heath
    JMO, this looks great!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • Omitting the hymns at Low Mass (and even before and after High Mass), a custom that has been in place for years and years and years and years here and in Europe (and probably the Orient as well) would be very big mistake. While there has been legislation against this practice, there also has been permission given that permits this.

Myself, I am against hymns at Mass, but I would not buy a book that prevented them from being sung as this would not be a good pastoral decision. We are here for but a short time and many of us will be outlived by the books that we order for parishes. [either due to age or the turnover that exists as pastors are rotated like bus drivers.] A future pastor should not be frustrated by our attempts to interpret the legislation.

The current pastor and people have the ability to make the decision to sing or not sing these hymns. Leave them in...we don't even know what hymns have been included and we are arguing to keep them out.

Think about it, do you really want the entire congregation standing mute during Holy week because one of the great hymns of the church, Pange LIngua, has been left out? OR standing mute on Pentecost because the editor decided to leave Veni out....?

I'd rather gave great hymns that are Catholic in this missal/hymnal than bad pulp hymnals littering the pews because the necessary hymns are missing from this one. And when I say littering, I mean to refer to much of the theology and poor music that are found in throwaway missalettes (Does this mean it's a tiny missal? for throwaway liturgies.

Great hymns includes those from the Office and Liturgies as well as Holy God, Come Holy Ghost, Immaculate Mary....

Jeffrey Ostrowski's family is growing both musically and more!
  • jczarn
    Looks wonderful! I direct a small schola for a weekly EF Mass, and I have a feeling these would be perfect for the people in the pews. Thanks for all of your hard work, JMO - keep us posted!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau
  • I completely agree with the thoughts of Noel and others about the importance of including beautiful, doctrinally sound and nourishing hymns in this Missal. It's true that singing hymns at the Extraordinary Form is (historically speaking) relatively novel, but at the same time, thanks be to God, the legislation of the Church is so clear about the priority that must be given to the Propers that these will NEVER be skipped at either a High Mass or a Low Mass. So, one might say that in any healthy EF environment, hymns will always be accessory, never substantially replacing the liturgy itself. What the Church permits, we must also accept as permitted; and, personally, I find a rousing hymn at the closing of Mass quite devotionally satisfying, and surely not a bad idea on many occasions, particularly when the hymn is seasonally or festally appropriate.
  • JennyH
    This looks phenomenal.
  • JahazaJahaza
    The info over on the web site says that Sundays, Holy Days, and First Class feasts will be included. Will 2nd class Feasts of the Lord (e.g. Transfiguration) which can fall on and replace the Sunday Mass be included?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jahaza, that is correct. All those will be included. Thanks!

We have a list of such feasts according to the 1962 rubrics, which are somewhat "funky" in some instances.
  • DanielCDanielC
    Wow, this beautiful hymnal looks amazing!! Can't wait for it!
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau