Consequences for elementary school students who miss Choir Masses
  • henry
    When a child from the parish elementary school choir is absent from a scheduled Sunday Mass, what disciplinary action have you used?
  • francis
    confession
  • Reval
    I would hold the parent accountable somehow. The student (probably) can't drive to Mass, and it's likely that the parent is just as guilty of skipping it.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • CharlesW
    If it's an OF choir, then counseling and aromatherapy are in order. If it's an EF choir, then flogging before the assembled student body while hurling anathemas would be appropriate. ;-)

As a Catholic educator, my experience has been that when my school children are absent from mass, so are the parents. I have had children tell me that they had no one to bring them to mass. It is sad when such an example is set by parents.
  • rogue63
    This has happened to me more than once, and I don't really have an answer. In most Catholic schools, the students are already so over-involved that missing a Mass seems to the parents just like a welcome break. My choir is an after-school thing, so I have little in the way of academic punishments. Perhaps starting with a long-term reward---a trip to the local amusement park, an ice cream party, etc.---and counting up absences and tardies against a total allowed? I'll be doing this for next year. The above comments about parents are perfectly true; if the students nag the parents, it will get done, believe me!
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Unfortunately, I have had to deal with this a lot. We had Confirmation last weekend and the children's choir was singing, and it wasn't until the final hour that I knew just how many kids would actually show up. But, it's not the children's fault. Parents involve their kids is just too many things, and going to church and singing in the choir is just something else on their list of "to do" things. I'm trying to undo that mentality, but it's going to take a long, long time. We can only support our choirs and let them know, over and over, that they are a ministry and that being in ministry means taking on a responsibility.
  • GavinGavin
    Why not simply make their grade dependent upon attendance?
  • CharlesW
    In an ideal world that would work. In my school, library, technology, and music grades don't figure into honors designations. They show up on the report cards, but mean nothing, really. You can see the low esteem in which those subjects are held.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Reval
    Gavin,
    Not all choirs are classes that are graded. Our school choir (that I volunteer to help) is an after-school extra-curricular activity. We regularly get about 30-40% of the kids missing at scheduled Sunday Masses. I figure it's usually the more responsible, conscientious kids who actually show up anyway. The ones who don't rustle their sheet music into the microphones (ugh).
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    No advice from me, but I would love recommendations because I'm dealing with the same problem.

Low-income neighborhood with remarkably unchurched, uninvolved parents. The fruits of Vatican II...it is very frustrating for me, but probably more so for those kids who do take the time to show up!
  • Reval
    Well, Irishtenor,
    A few things I think would help:
    1. Singing at fewer Sunday Masses (when there's one scheduled for every 4-6 weeks, it makes it seem like less of a big deal to miss one). Maybe sing for one special Sunday per semester - - maybe Christ the King Sunday, and one in the spring?
    2. I would suggest that the children wear school uniforms for when they sing at Mass. It's one less hassle for parents/ kids to figure out what to wear. And you won't have a weird mix of jeans / glitzy / sequined / short skirts, etc. (assuming your choir has to sing visibly near the front of church).
    3. Try to have a short parent meeting at the beginning of the year, or at least talk to the parents when they come to pick up the kids.
    4. Just accept that not all the kids will show up. Sometimes they get sick, etc.
    5. I was recently talking to a friend whose children used to sing in their parish "Christmas Children's Choir". She was lamenting the fact that there used to be 6 rehearsals, then the choir would sing at Christmas Eve, then it would be over. Now it's all year, and since her kids are homeschooled, it doesn't work as well for their family. Maybe you could try something similar to the Christmas Choir idea.

• canadashcanadash
    These may or may not work but they are the thoughts off the top of my head:

1) Make the children pay money to be in the choir. Now, this is not a lot of money, but something ($100?). If they attend 80% of the rehearsals/Masses they will have the fee returned to them. The problem is that you have to let the parents know when their children are at 90%, then 85% and then going to lose their fee.

2) Expel the child from the program if they are absent a specified number of times. Have a great party at the end for the children who make it through.

3) See if the school or church can reward the children who make it through the year with some kind of prize. Perhaps there is a company in the church which can offer gift coupons of some kind. Maybe it is some kind of recognition.

4) Could your choir sing somewhere special at the end of the year?

This is a difficult task. Of course, I'm sure you realize the same thing happens in adult choirs!

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • One technique that might be a bit subtle is to make sure that when a choir member is absent, they are mentioned by name at rehearsal and they are contacted with a "hope everything's all right" message. They know they'll be missed, they know the other choir members will be aware of their absence, and they know the director cares enough to find out why they missed (or at least that they're OK). They can't just be silently gone and have it not matter.
  • With all due respect, Canadash, to find children and put a monetary stipulation on participation is going against all that I feel ministry should be about. The parents should be approached first and given an explanation as to what ministry is all about and how when we allow our children to constantly miss rehearsals and come and go at will, that we are sending the wrong message.

My suggestion is that a guidelines document be written and signed by both children and parents, with reminders sent out a couple of times a year. When children do not show up for rehearsals, have the child AND parent refer back to the document. Ask the child/parents what is happening in their lives to cause such absences, and if the answers are that they are simply involved in too many things, then make sure they are aware of the dedication necessary to be in choir and have them sit out a few rehearsals and masses in order to reflect as to whether or not this is something they feel called to do.

It's not easy and parents will get in the way all the time, but we cannot allow our children to be brought up with an attitude of "if we come, we come, and if we don't we don't". Whether it is children's choir or adult choir, it's still music ministry, and that mentality must be instilled and maintained.
  • One aspect I stress is that a choir is a singing team. The children and parents need to know how it affects other team members when they miss. I ask them if they could play soccer games if they've missed half of the practices, etc. This has cut down on absences for me.
    And I live in a part of the US justifiably known for flakiness...
  • Ally
    MaryAnn, I use the exact same concept! It has really helped in the past...and now I have a new challenge, a children's group I didn't previously direct, that is going from a "pick-up" group to regular rehearsals, and so far the parents I've spoken with really get it.
  • I am in agreement with Musicteacher's idea of a guidelines document, for both a children's choir AND an adults' choir! "If we come, we come. And if we don't, we don't." seems to be the attitude of our choir here and it DRIVES ME CRAZY!
    Thanked by 1Musicteacher56
  • canadashcanadash
    Musicteacher, I'm not at all offended. It was just a thought, as I had mentioned. It comes from the idea that when something is paid for, it is worth something (not saying I agree, it just is the mentality of some). That is just part of our culture. There is a good choir school in our area and it is publicly paid for, to a point. But then there is a fee to join this particular school. If the children do not live up to their end of the bargain, they are expelled, and I don't believe they get their money back. So I think the parents get their children to their Mass obligations on time, every week. It is out of the way for many parents. So, when the question came up, I perused this site, to see how that school did it to offer a suggestion.

I would say that most of my choir is very good at attending, but some are absent here and there and it is annoying. Right now, I have a fellow who was laid off. Then his position returned for evening shifts, and the man has to work. When the schedule returns, he will come back, but until then, I do allow him to sing the Mass parts he knows, and the hymns with the choir. He is a good tenor. He is a faithful and good man. In my choir the bass with the most talent is the one absent most often, but if I let him go, I am really stuck at the times when he is really faithful. Perhaps I should just do with less, but only the fully committed choristers. Something to seriously ponder.
  • Being the DM means knowing our choirs and understanding individuals and working with them. My frustration comes from the lackadaisical attitudes of some who don't have an excuse other than "I'll do what I want to do when I want to do it".
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    (I'm embarrassed that this is so long -- but I've done this for a LOT of years.)

My 2 cents for what it's worth: With all respect and empathy (lots of empathy) to directors whose choir members are under 18; If we have to use a "disciplinary consequence" to insure that our choir members attend a mass - to which they've been granted the HONOR of serving, -- we've fallen into a modern trap of catering to children (and their parents) as if we were vendors, desperate to make a "participation sale." Yes, we have been marginalized as CharlesW. rightly observes, and this naturally forces us into a defensive position.

It's no wonder we're all frustrated, we're lost before we start because we have been so marginalized.

My advice; fight back - in a smart way. Take the battle (for lack of a better word) to them - without getting bitter, mean or showing how burnt out we really might feel.

Make no mistake - you ARE fighting a battle for their souls. Sacred music that serves the liturgy is the vehicle of grace acting on nature. It softens their hearts and creates that "silent garden" where silence allows God to enter into their souls.

Half the battle is teaching them to pray the text. Explain the text to them and be excited about how beautiful it is. This teaches them so much.

Interesting phenomena: My favorite hymn is "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence." While explaining and singing it for them the first time, their reaction was "wow that's scary music." "WHAT!" I replied, "SCARY. That's not scary - it's mystical." We have to realize that we are going in to rescue them. Chant and music that conveys the mystical nature of God has been co-opted by the manufacturers of video games. The hooded, evil character in the game (that sadly looks just like a monk) is emerging out of the darkness to strains of gregorian chant or synthesized music that is very chant like, modal or somber. Kids now associate this kind of powerful beauty with evil.

The first thing we need to change is our mindset. I've found that attendance is not a problem when I have the mindset that I'm going to treat my students as if they were already members of a choral group that regularly appears with the NSO.

I've been rather surprised to find out that the shift in my attitude creates a serious response from my students....in the best sense. Here's what I suggest:

1. Have a "drop off" meeting at the beginning of the year that is mandatory for participation - one parent must attend with each child 20 minutes before rehearsal start time - as they drop them off.

2. Dress well for this. Be prepared. Meet each parent and child at the door. Give them a handout with your "Guidelines and Choral Etiquette" -- just as Musicteacher56 suggests, create a document that stipulates what behavior should be during rehearsals (i.e. no talking while the director is working with another section; bring a water bottle and sharpened pencil to every rehearsal; check your posture before opening you mouth to sing; sit forward in your chair with your back straight..ect.) and then hold every child to that standard publicly, but in a stern, friendly manner.

3. State your policies clearly while making eye contact with the parents. I do not allow any absences from rehearsal or mass without prior notification once the schedule is published. Parents must send me a written note for an excused absence. Two absences is a problem, unless the student has a very good reason. Three and they cannot attend rehearsals until the parent meets with me.

4. Lead. Take no prisoners. Failure to comply with your reasonable guidelines should be a problem for the child and the parent in the form of having to "sit out of rehearsals and masses" until the problem is worked out between you and the parent. Let your Pastor and Principal know this beforehand and explain why. (You won't have to, they'll know.)

5. Love them in your mind, even when they are impossible. THey can tell and will respond to it. When you can no longer do this, it's time to take a sabbatical. It's very hard work for very little money and you have to love it like crazy. -- I don't anymore - so now I have an "elite girls schola" made up of my most committed students (not all of them are my best students, fyi)

But I was passionate about it for a long time and it bore much fruit...and headaches galore.

6. Treat your students - no matter how poor - as professional musicians right off the bat. I make it clear to the parents that I (and they) have a responsibility to train their children so that they will be comfortable and prepared in a professional orchestra or chorus. I make it clear that I know their potential and respect their intelligence and expect great things from them. Then I invite anyone (parents and children) who isn't ready to live up to that to leave - no hard feelings and no worries about it.

7. Pick music that is sophisticated and very high quality. I pick simple, beautiful things and more complicated things. There's always harmony involved. That's the hook, and it's vital - unless it's chant

8. When doing chant - and you should with the youngest children - communicate a serious reverence for whatever chant you are doing by pointing out that you are giving them music that most other kids their age have heard only rarely; it's a fine and valuable "wine" and the church is entrusting it to them. And if they are not up to it, you'll have to take it back. It MUST be sung with reverence.

I refuse to do anything that isn't worthy. The kids know this and develop such an addiction that they come to everything....most years. (I've had a less than great choir year or two as well. It happens.)

Anyway, here's a structure that might help any children's choir:

I always have choir officers- elected - but I always have a hand in these elections. The President of the choir takes attendance at every rehearsal and every mass.

Two of my officers are responsible for keeping track of absent members, collecting music for them and reminding them that they have to get with someone to learn what they've missed.

I STRESS at the beginning of the year that if you join the choir, you have to be there, period. So if you can't do that, don't join. No hard feelings...

Hope my lengthy diatribe helps a little. Good luck all!

• canadashcanadash
    Suze, thanks for that.... great advice!

Another idea I had, after an experience with my own children: Hold auditions. Now the audition can be to assess the child, give them certain "seats" (like in an orchestra), establish "leads", decide the part they will sing, find out if they have prior experience, theoretical knowledge and to ask them why they wish to join the choir. This is the perfect opportunity to give the parents the information you need to impart, your expectations, prior to their joining. Everyone gets in (though you don't let them know this) and it sets the bar a little higher at the beginning.

Wow, this is all a lot of work!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Setting the bar higher is definitely a positive point here, but I don't think holding auditions would do the trick, unless you told everybody up front they are for placement only. I've worked children's theater for many years, and we've always made it known that anyone who auditions gets a role, the size of which is dependent on the outcome of the audition. If our singers know this, they might vie for the favored spots and be more dedicated in an attempt to get a better "seat". But, I think it's important that singers and parents know that they will be accepted. Now, giving them a theory test (very basic, of course) might scare off some kids who wouldn't be dedicated in the first place, so that might work. They would know for the onset that this is not a playtime activity and that certain expectations come with acceptance.
  • Maureen
    If it's a low income neighborhood where stuff with the parents can be dicey, or if kids consistently have trouble getting rides in whatever kind of neighborhood, why not just arrange car pickups for the kids?

Obviously it would have to be unofficial, because of the insurance, but maybe some of the consistent people could go pick up the inconsistent ones? Or have the kids swing by each others' houses and walk together, if they live in walking distance?
  • That's usually opening up a can of worms. Especially with children. Not just insurance but with the reality of things that have happened with the churches, probably a good idea to steer clear of that. Especially being that if something does happen, even if it's unofficial, it can become an official problem. Probably best if they come up with that idea on their own somehow, this way it never comes back to bite you.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It depends on the situation - I would handle just about every Parish I can think of differently. Just having a set of rules that are "your rules" and not changing them to deal with the demographics of a parish is very dangerous.

However, if you work exceptionally hard to make the children truly love choir, they will work exceptionally hard to make sure their parents get them to rehearsals and Masses.

The bottom line is that dedication can come with excellent leadership. Want to learn simple secrets on how to be an excellent leader? Attend "Maintain and Strengthen Your Position and Program" at the CMAA Colloquium.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • @MatthewJ Agreed, situations merit looking at things carefully, but when I referred to driving kids to practice or having others do it, can you imagine what would happen, God forbid, someone got into an accident,,,, or even worst, the person's that you "arranged" to bring some child to practice, ends up molesting them!!! Could you imagine what consequences "You" would be facing for your "unofficial" coordination or even participation in bring kids to choir rehearsals??? Not only would you subject the Arch/Diocese, or Church, to liability, but you also put yourself in a position, depending on what state it is, up for charges yourself. Many states would not hesitate to file child endangerment charges, neglect, etc.... all because you "unofficially" coordinate a pickup/dropoff of children. Big no no! I am probably sure most Arch/Dioceses would frown upon that, and probably even forbid it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What are you talking about?

I was referring to the original poster's question regarding "consequences" for missing rehearsals and how I wouldn't have a set of rules for such things that would be the same in every position I held.
  • Ohhh, i'm sorry,,,,, I thought you were referring to the poster previously to me, regarding giving or coordinating rides home for children.
  • Matthew-I agree with doing everything possible to get our little singers to enjoy being in the choir, but not to the point of having them bug parents to make sure they are there. After all, these ARE children and are completely dependent on parents. A good example of a dedicated family: This morning for Corpus Christie I had announced to our children's choir at the last practice that the regular children's mass would be cantor only and that I'd like the children to sing at the later mass so they could be part of the Corpus Christie procession and sing with the adult choir. One child showed up at the earlier mass (regular children's mass time) with her family. I slipped a note to the father and reminded him that the kids were going to sing at the later mass and could he possibly bring her back. He felt badly that he had forgotten about the mass change and did, indeed, bring his child back. I saw another parent at the earlier mass with another little singer and requested the same thing, to which I received a "no way am I coming back". So, it depends on the family.

Working "exceptionally hard" will only work for people who want to be there and nothing is going to stop those who have a lackadaisical and irresponsible mentality towards ministry. My daughters both used to dance and had a teacher that used to get the dancers together and tell them "bug your parents about EVERYTHING and you'll get what you want". What an awful example to these children. Yes, dedicated little singers could certainly make sure they remember themselves that rehearsal is at such and such a time, and that they need to be at masses at such and such a time. But, again, they ARE children.

Sorry if this rambling on, but I'm passionate about this. I've taught music for many years and have done almost everything "known to man" to encourage participation and love of music and ministry. It has to come from within and it has to come from home, first and foremost.