history of hymns replacing propers
  • I've been looking, and I can't seem to find the historical reason why hymns and other songs replaced the propers. I know what the GIRM says, but why did option 4 become the norm instead of the exception? Was this option taken just because it was an option? (This is why some congregations began standing during the Consecration, but this was corrected last Advent.) Were there no official translations of the propers when we started to use the vernacular so vernacular substitutes (hymns and other songs) were used?
  • A few observations:
    1)The four hymn sandwich was a natural progression from low mass with hymns. Low mass, while not the liturgical norm, was more commonplace than sung mass. It is easier, and requires less singers, servers, etc.
    2) There were no authorized vernacular versions of the propers. But that wasn't a goal of the council to begin with, and most people now recognize we ended up with more vernacular than the council called for. The stated aims of the council (and before the council) as regards sacred music were to transition choirs toward restoring Gregorian chant, including authentic Gregorian propers.
    3) It did not help that it took several years to adjust the gregorian propers to the new lectionary cycle. Then it took more time to publish the Missale Romanum. In the years the MR was being prepared and published, vernacular hymnody, largely of a commercial variety, saturated the market.

So by the time propers were available, parishes had become emotionally and financially invested in hymnody. Again, this transition was made easier in that most parishes had at least one low mass with hymns before the council. This practice (tradition, though an incomplete one) didn't change, though the style did.

Decades later, most parishes are left with the worst of both (pre and post council) worlds. The musical and theological quality of hymns is typically worse than that of previous generations, and most parishes are farther away from the council's call to restore sung liturgy using sacred music than they were before the council.

It seems that the confusion and lack of knowledge surrounding the restoration of the authentic propers illustrates how we have largely moved backwards in terms of the most recent council's stated goals of reclaiming the sung sacred liturgy which properly belongs to all Catholics.

But all is not lost! Groups like CMAA are working toward a more complete realization of sung sacred liturgy, one that values authentic tradition and competent ecclesial authority.
  • PMulholland
    To add but not completely...

Indult granted to Bavaria 19th Cent.? to sing hymns and use vernacular ordinaries? Quite influential.
    and...
    De musica Sacra, 1958 (instruction of the Sacred Congregation of Rites now Divine Worship)
    permission granted for hymns at Sunday low Mass.

• CharlesW
    When I think back before the Council - I was 15 when it ended, but still remember quite a bit - my parish had one sung mass on Sunday, and the others were low masses. The "high" mass was the pastor's mass. MaryAnn is correct on the translations of the propers. There weren't any. Our organist at the time made an effort to choose hymns that aligned with proper texts, but it was difficult for him. There were not enough hymns in the hymnal to do it, and they were never good word-for-word substitutions. Keep in mind that the hymns at the time were generally better than what is available today in the best selling hymnals.

Another thought on this subject. I recall that before the Council, the congregation, in practice, sang very little of the liturgy. It was generally a choir/cantor performance. There was a desire for the congregation to participate, and especially to sing. Propers were performance pieces to be heard, not sung. Hymns were favored since everyone could sing them. I remember several priests mentioning the wonderful singing in Protestant churches, and they clearly thought that was a good model to follow.
  • Paul_D
    Some analysis of this question can be found here: http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/06/place-of-mass-propers.html (the later chapters may be of more interest)
    Thanked by 2canadash rjgrigaitis
  • DougS
    The biggest flaw in the master's thesis linked above is that the historical narrative presented in chapter 1 tells us only about music written for the proper, not about what people were doing during those places in the liturgy. The evidence of one isn't necessarily evidence of the other.

Building on the shaky pedestal, the author then follows this with a purely rhetorical introduction to chapter 2, section 1: "After centuries of stability, ... [V2 brought about all these liturgical changes]."

While V2 undoubtedly led to significant liturgical changes, we can't assume that the liturgy, especially its music, was "stable" following the Council of Trent. If anything, the history of Catholic music from the eighth century onward illustrates a (sometimes tense) dialectical relationship between centralization and localization. But piecing together that history is difficult.
  • DougS
    And just to tie my last message to the discussion at hand, the period between 1900-1950 seems particularly mysterious to me with respect to centralization vs. localization, given Pope Pius XII's writings on sacred music (mentioned by PMulholland above).
  • mahrt
    To the question of whether there were English translations of the propers: the first Roman Missal of 1964, which was the "Tridentine" Mass with partial translation, included all of the sung propers in English translation, all of the sung ordinary in English translation, but the orations, prefaces, canon remained in Latin. This was replaced in 1966 by a Sacramentary; this included more of the Mass in English translation, the prayers at the foot of the altar, the orations and prefaces, though the Canon remained in Latin, but since it was a Sacramentary--a book with the texts for the priest--and since the priest no longer had to recite the propers, they were not included in the Sacramentary. The rubrics for the celebration of the Mass, however, provide that they are sung by the schola or the people or recited, without specifying their texts. This could well have given the impression that the propers were no longer necessary to anyone who did not read the fine print of the rubrics at the front of the Sacramentary (still in Latin). My recollection of the High Mass was that it always included the propers, but the Low Mass included hymns; eventually, with the breakdown of the distinction between low and high Mass, the hymns were the path of least resistance and, in addition, fulfilled the growing sense that the people should sing everything.
  • DougS
    Building on what Prof. Mahrt just wrote, simply having the translations would not be enough for the propers to make a successful transition to the vernacular Mass anyway. In addition to the 1964 Missal, it is perhaps worth mentioning, then, that a team of musicians from St. Joseph's College in Indiana created an English Gradual, which contains simplified adaptations for most Sundays and feasts and was given the imprimatur by the Bishop of Covington, KY. The resources were there for choirs to use, but as Prof. Mahrt points out, people must not have used them. This book is available on the CMAA website, incidentally. I wonder if there were similar efforts made by non-English-speaking Catholics.
  • Protasius
    There is a similar German Gradual, which did not receive approval of the Bishops conference.
  • dad29
    Prof. Mahrt and Charles W's recollections are correct. But I also recall some Vatican instruction (or was it the USBishops' document?) which plainly stated that 'there is no more a distinction between 'High' and 'Low' Mass'.

That was not helpful, insofar as there was no further 'splanation.
  • CharlesW
    What I read and heard had to do with the mass of Paul VI regarding "low" vs "high." It stated that there is only one mass, and it can be celebrated with varying degrees of solemnity.
  • mhjell
    My father-in-law tells me only one High Mass could be offered at a parish; the rest would be Low Masses on Sundays. Don't know if this was local custom.
  • Liam
    In many places, the high Mass was at the end of the morning cycle of Masses before noon. It was considered by some as punishment for those who slept late.
  • mahrt
    It was "Music in Catholic Worship," a document of the American Bishops' liturgy committee, which said the distinction between the low Mass and high Mass no longer applied; "Musicam Sacram," a Vatican document said that the distinction between the high Mass and the low Mass was to be retained.
  • JennyH
    It was considered by some as punishment for those who slept late.

I'm not sure what this comment adds to what was (otherwise) a serious and thoughtful discussion. I'm assuming you're trying to be funny. In any event, regardless what anyone "considers," the High Mass is not a punishment according to true Catholic theology.
  • That statement probably reflects just as Thomas Day explained in his book Why Catholics Can't Sing..... a lot of Catholics, not all, would avoid the high mass back in the day. Knowing it was going to be very long, full of incense, singing, and again very long. It goes to the thought that most Catholics are waiting for the hour to be over. This display can still be seen in a lot of parishes with the 4:00p.m. Vigil Masses, where most want the good dear Father to be over in 45 minutes, so they can get to early bird.

This is probably what led to that thinking that it was punishment to miss the earlier morning low masses, and have to endure two times the Mass with High Mass.
  • CharlesW
    With the old fasting rules, a late mass could be punishing. I suspect a reason for the Vatican II reforms might have been that the old mass was beautiful and good theater, but out-of-touch with most of the congregations. The reforms were centuries late, I think. How many actually experienced the glories of European cathedral liturgy, as opposed to the realities of liturgy in the average American parish? It wasn't always so great.
  • Precisely. Sitting through a Mass that was more theatrical in nature, with very little if any participation from a congregation, only to be held hostage for more than an hour, listening to Mass in a language that most don't speak or even understand, with only the elite choirs singing/chanting, it is no wonder the average Catholic back than, would not want to endure a high mass.

We as DMs, organists, vocalists, may understand the efforts of a clean pleasant liturgy, but ask the average Catholic in the pew, and I suspect the answers would not be what we all have in mind. We have bilingual masses where I am at, and the chief complaint on both ends is, we don't understand the other's language, and thus, do not wish to attend those Masses, they are also sometimes double in time of an average Mass. As beautiful as it is to be in a Latin Mass, even High Mass, it is probably more for those who have matured in the faith, enough to understand that Mass is a celebration of heaven on Earth.

Average pew warmers aren't interested in sitting past 40-45 minutes of Mass, much less singing the entire Mass.
  • Knowing Liam as we all do, Jenny, I'm sure the remark was lighthearted.
  • Liam
    Indeed it was. It was descriptive, not prescriptive, just to be clear.

I have vivid recollections of the by far most common adult complaint about the liturgical reforms when I was a kid in the late 1960s and early 1970s was that the Mass became longer. If liturgical minimalism was good enough for my father, it's good enough for me, all that.
  • Liam, we have a "Jenny" whom I believe is a pediatrician. Your "good enough for my father, good enough for me" sounds suspiciously like the rationale for....well, nevermind.
    One thing I do know, if I as pew warmer am totally involved in a full on Missa Solemnis with no responsibilities other than to fulfill my role as a worshipper, I have no inclination whatsoever to clockwatch. Two, three hours, meh. Heaven, I'm in heaven....
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jenny
  • JennyH
    It was descriptive, not prescriptive, just to be clear.

Splendid: then it will be a very easy thing for you to give written documentation to back up your statement. For the record, my father grew up in a "typical" Catholic parish in Ohio where the entire congregation routinely sang Mass I, II, IV, VIII, IX, X (yes!), XI, and several others.
  • GavinGavin
    And my mother grew up in a family that went to High Mass every week, where the cantor sang alone while everyone sat in silence (sound familiar?). For her, High Mass was all she ever knew, but she says others did in fact view it as a punishment for sleeping in. Not only the length, but the singing. And she's not the only old Catholic who has reinforced to me that this was the case in many parishes. The anecdotal evidence is there for anyone who will only talk to those who remember the pre-conciliar days.
  • Liam
    JennyH

This is not your research bureau. Jeez.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • marajoymarajoy
    Fact: Many Catholics who only attend Mass out of obligation prefer a shorter Mass.
    Fact: When a parish is trying to squeeze as many Masses as possible into a morning, it makes sense to put the longest Mass last.
    Conclusion: Those who did not want to attend a long Mass might feel like they were being punished if they missed all of the shorter ones by sleeping in.

What more evidence is needed?
    Thanked by 3Gavin Spriggo R J Stove
  • Liam
    Charles

I overlook your most recent comment. The "Give Me That Ol' Time Religion" refrain reference was sardonic, far from approving on my part. I also know that my own preferences in liturgical music are not widely shared, and have known that for 40 years, as the reality has been made starkly clear year upon year. I know that my family's original parish, a Benedictine parish with a strong tradition of fine liturgical music, was an island in a sea of low Mass mediocrity (to put it charitably), and that the new parish our area was hived off to was in that sea, not on the island, and that the new parish was very typical of our area, and most people appeared to strongly prefer it that way, and that this pattern was pretty widespread in the Northeast, particularly in areas that lacked a strong German Catholic representation.
  • Liam, that comment was purely in jest. I meant no offense if that was taken.
    Seems like a bit of a testy Monday at MSF. Hey, everyone, into the pool, it's Ordinary Time!
  • Liam
    It's just when people try to turn discussions into demands for documentation (reminding me of my 33 year old severely autistic nephew's weekly drilling for information and data in a number of categories of knowledge, I must confess) - an occasional plague here that afflicts other discussion boards more seriously - it sucks the jest out of the discussion. I consider it out of bounds behavior for discussion of this sort, and give it my best/worst virtual glare. (Why out of bounds: because not all information is stored electronically, and not everyone has made copies of everything they have read over decades, and because my own hypermemory - courtesy of synaesthesia, it would perhaps seem to a neurologist - is bloody well massive as it is, according to virtually everyone who deals with me (and it's not a wonderful thing to have, btw; it's tiring). That's your does of self-deprecating TMI for today!)
  • marajoymarajoy
    oooh, I wish I had a pool right now! Especially an outdoors one! (One of the few- if not the only ;-) downside to living in the midwest... very limited outdoor pools for the 2.5 months that we could use them!)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Wish I could join you in the pool. After three surgeries for skin cancer, my dermatologist says my outdoor exposure between March and November is limited to going to and from my car.
  • O' course, I am not looking for Ms. Melanoma to hitch a ride, no no mo!
  • Well CtB and Joy
    I'm a both sides Scots Moby Dick who had first encounter with Basil Cell SC at 27. And I do have a pool inwhich I displace water after dusk. At least that is what I tell my derma MD. I don't mention bare sleeve rides on my Harley.
    One must chill as one can!
  • JennyH
    This is not your research bureau.

Neither I, nor anyone else, claimed it was.

More importantly, however, your assertion that priests got together and planned the high Mass as "punishment" for Catholics who slept late is truly absurd.
  • CharlesW
    CA Charles, both sides of my mother's family were from Scotland. That's where my inability to withstand sun exposure comes from. It's like the old story of the Scot who tells an African visitor, "I hear you worship the sun in your country." The African replied, "You would too if you ever saw it."
  • Liam
    JennyH

"It was considered by some as punishment" =/= "priests got together and planned the high Mass as a 'punishment'.

What you right is indeed absurd. We can agree about that at least.
  • redsox1
    I was born just in time for the 1970 Sacramentary. My parents, and many people of their generation that I knew growing up talked about Masses that were rushed through (a High Mass was barely that) with faithful, yet poorly trained organists at the helm, getting through the Rossini propers and singing from the St. Gregory Hymnal. Organists were barely paid, unless you were at a larger parish or cathedral, which certainly did little to attract good musicians. My grandfather, who was a music educator, served a parish on the weekends. He finally gave up in disgust over the lack of support for a decent organ (which he had been promised for years) and played for the Protestants (who treated him beautifully, btw.) for the rest of his life. He never failed to fulfill his Sunday obligation by attending the early Low Mass, though. Of course, there were parishes that had wonderful music. But how is that different from today? Just like today, good music before the liturgical reforms was probably the exception, not the rule. I know different regions, particularly the upper Midwest with its German influence as mentioned in an above post, enjoyed more success.
  • DougS
    Part of this discussion reminds me of an incident several years ago when, on a different forum, I said that another poster was "dead on here." She took it to mean, "DEAD on the forum," as in a corpse that might as well not exist; she was rightfully offended. But what I meant was, "SPOT ON" with respect to point X she was making, as in I was in full agreement.

Once I explained what I meant, her defensiveness relented. It would be helpful if that could happen here and we could move on.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm assuming you're trying to be funny. In any event, regardless what anyone "considers," the High Mass is not a punishment according to true Catholic theology.

Quite right, but there's really no need to say it. You can trust, being the charitable person that you are, that everyone writing here is quite respectful and serious about the meaning of the Holy Mass. This is so even when some of us may joke occasionally about the human foibles by which some of the faithful may fail to appreciate the greatness of the Church's sacred liturgy.
  • dad29
    Sitting through a Mass that was more theatrical in nature, with very little if any participation from a congregation, only to be held hostage for more than an hour, listening to Mass in a language that most don't speak or even understand, with only the elite choirs singing/chanting, it is no wonder the average Catholic back than, would not want to endure a high mass.

Another attempt at humor, Michael?

Theater? What--you expected Hee Haw? Was it too challenging to read the translation in your missal, or are you claiming that your 'understanding' of transubstantiation is now perfect?

Puuhhhhleeeeez.....
  • CharlesW
    I think there are two mindsets at work here. There are those who love the EF mass, and all that goes with it. Then there are those of us who are glad the EF mass survived for those who want it, but are quite happy to be away from it ourselves. Granted, that doesn't mean that the music - not that all of it was ever that great in the pre-sixties EF - has to be junked and we start over again. I'm afraid that is exactly what happened in too many places.

I am glad we have vernacular masses and more congregational participation. If I recall correctly, even Pius X called for more congregational participation, but it didn't happen. There are many things we could learn from the EF mass and apply to the OF, but it had its own enshrined liturgical abuses and problems. It needed reforming, and a Church council agreed.
  • Liam
    Actually, even a later session of Trent envisioned the pastoral need for the vernacular, and gave the pope permission to allow it by indult, which was rather promptly done in parts of central Europe for about a generation.

And it took over 300 years for Rome to implement Trent's notional thrust towards frequent communion - Pius X's action can be seen as a much-delayed implementation decree from Trent....
  • JennyH
    Actually, even a later session of Trent envisioned the pastoral need for the vernacular.

I've heard this rumor for years. But I have a book by TAN that has all the decrees by Trent, and I've searched ... in vain.

Would it be possible to give chapter and verse on this? I would appreciate it.
  • Liam
    Actually, good for the prompt to correct: i was confusing this with communion under both species. The position on the vernacular was more restrained: Trent merely said it was advisable to stick to Latin and only anathemized those who questioned the validity of Masses not said in the vernacular.
  • hartleymartin
    I think in reality what we've seen is low mass with religious music (ie hymns) take the place of a proper solemn sung mass. Few parishes make a serious effort to do it all properly. The propers were never 'replaced' in this regard.
  • mahrt
    I agree that the High Mass, then and now, may require some initiation, some following a missal or Mass leaflet. But I would not like to encourage those who look at their watches after 45 minutes. It depends on how important your attendance at Mass is. After all, how many people would leave a football game or a movie after 45 minutes? Such attitudes might need to be tolerated, but not encouraged; rather our task is not only to provide music at an existing level, but also to educate our congregations gradually in something better.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    There was a desire for the congregation to participate, and especially to sing.

Internal participation is the only participation that matters; participation is not just external; shuffling around in Breaking Bread and mumbling a few heretical words is not participation in the true or fruitful sense, &c. Fr. Z harps on this.

(Not meant to be a fisk. This is only worth mentioning in light of some of the other comments on this thread, and the continued apparent insistence that "Vatican II got the laity involved.")

... eventually, with the breakdown of the distinction between low and high Mass, the hymns were the path of least resistance ...

An early example of the hermeneutic of continuity? If only pre-Vatican II liturgical abuses were supposed to be carried over.
  • I am enjoying your discussion. You may be interested to know that a work has recently been completed to assist in the training of singers for the Extraordinary form of the Latin liturgy. Propers for the liturgical year, plus some other usual feasts are available (downloadable PDFs) in classical notation, and although it would take a little work to find the appropriate spot in the novus ordo, they could be used by choirs on an occasional or regular basis. Their unique aspect is that they are readable by anyone with a music education, and the barrier of learning to read square notation is removed.
    See sottovocemusic.com.
  • DougS
    The claim that internal participation is the only kind that matters takes the anti-goofy argument too far in the other direction, in my opinion.

The late Monsignor Richard Schuler has an excellent article in Sacred Music that discusses how participatio actuosa is both internal and external.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • +1, Doug. In my understanding of Pio X's motu, I felt his intent was a "both/and" proposition insofar as the role of the faithful in the nave during the singing of Mass.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Faith without works is dead. (But works without faith is deader.)
    Thanked by 1Gavin