Liturgy Committee Formation Resources?
  • lmassery
    This fall I will be taking our associate's place as leader of the liturgy committee, which meets once a month. Our pastor wants them to have an element of ongoing liturgical formation, which is a very good thing. I am wondering if anyone has used or can recommend any specific resources to use a sort of curriculum. WLP has a product called "Worship committees that work." Has anyone used that? Many of you might be thinking 'forget the curriculum and just go through the documents,' but since I'm 20 years younger than the second youngest person on the liturgy committee, I would like a steady resource to refer to or I'll come across as their teacher. Thank you
    Luke
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    There is no liturgy committee at my current parish (Glory be!), but I've read this book--it might help you out.

It's all available for free online: www.liturgycommittee.com
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Here's a quote from the chapter on resources:

An even more accessible “official” document for your committee’s reading is Cardinal Roger Mahony’s 1997 pastoral letter Gathered Faithfully Together: A Guide for Sunday Mass. Written to prepare his Archdiocese of Los Angeles for the year 2000, it’s a wonderful introduction to the kind of Sunday celebration our church’s tradition calls for.

And,

So central are “the documents” to our liturgical life that many committees turn to them as a group’s first reading and self-education project. Warning: You may find that this falls flat. They are primarily official documents, strong on theological principle but not intended to help people understand what makes for good liturgy, the role of rituals or symbols or tradition, or other basics. Everyone should know and live by the documents, but for a starting point in group education, some of the books listed below may be more effective and enjoyable.

Here are the books they recommend:

Lawrence A. Hoffman, The Art of Public Prayer

Eugene A. Walsh, Giving Life:Ministry of the Parish Sunday Assembly; and, Celebration:Theology,Ministry and Practice

Aidan Kavanagh, Elements of Rite: A Handbook of Liturgical Style

Elaine Rendler, This is the Day; and, In the Midst of
    the Assembly
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe it would be good to find some excerpts from other books:

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger: Feast of Faith
    Dietrich von Hildebrand: Liturgy and Personality

• benedictgal
    This is what you need:

Roman Missal
    GIRM
    Redemptionis Sacramentum
    Sacrosanctum Concilium
    Musicam Sacram
  • BenBen
    I also have some of those documents that BG mentioned formatted for iBooks, if anyone wants them.
    The first thing to ask yourself is: "Why does this parish need a liturgy committee? What are its goals, objectives, or purpose?"

The education (or buzzword "formation") of the committee is important, but the function of it and how that function will either enhance or disrupt the work of the priest, music director, etc., needs to be carefully considered first.

Remember, by canon law these committees are by their very definition advisory only, and unless you have a knowledgeable priest and DM who are on the same page, all the agitating in the world by a committee, no matter how blue-ribbon or carefully selected, will gain nothing.

Also, committees like this can be a blessing or a curse. If certain factions of the parish want to really make trouble for the DM, a committee like this is just the place to make it happen. I know from experience, since right after the release of SttL the Pastor at my former parish decided that an ad hoc committee needed to be formed to study the implementation of the document into the music program of the parish, despite my expressed concerns over various aspects of the document. Needless to say, the committee was stacked in favor of "more cowbell."

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • GavinGavin
    What about the book by Prof. Mahrt? That might be a good resource for discussing music.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Agreeing with David Andrew--what is the PURPOSE of this committee?

Speaking only for myself, I am sincerely glad that all liturgical decisions are made by the pastor and me. Far too often the adage is proven to be true: "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth."

Personally, I don't see why it would be so bad for you to be seen as their teacher. You are the expert, and (presumably) they are not. If your parish is anything like mine, just about no one has read the pertinent liturgical documents. Their contributions to any recommendation regarding policy would be simply based on their own opinions, not necessarily any knowledge or study on their part.

Discussion is not a bad thing, and it would certainly be worthwhile to DISCUSS these documents among the group, but you're the expert. That is your role--own it.

My $0.02
  • Charles in CenCA
    Gavin, even a LitCom full of PhD's in other disciplines other than music, theology or liturgy would (likely) be way in deep waters with Mahrt's tome. They might be able to track with Ruff's, but for music and documentation, the rudimentary dialectic could be well established as an overview with Joncas' FROM SACRED SONG TO RITUAL MUSIC for the purposes of a "committee." Then you lay BG's collection on 'em.
    I gotta say tho'- I've never had to work in concert with a Liturgy "committee." Deo gratias. I'm grateful to have a liturgy coordinator on staff for all concerns non-musical. She and some experienced sacristans and decor folk, with the pastor, do a pretty great job.
    Ya got the calendar, the books, the MR3, personnel to train acolytes, lectors, EMHC''s (like it or not) etc., who needs another meeting? YMMV.
    P.S. Though he was a lovely, lovely man and priest whom I knew, I wouldn't subscribe to Eugene Walsh's methodologies with ardent attention. That was then.
  • Ally
    There are also some odd parts to the Kavanagh book, btw...and some where you may laugh out loud! So I would take some of those resources with a grain of salt.

I do work with a "Prayer and Worship" committee, but they are all committed volunteers who basically help out in whatever way I need, one of them calls me their "shepherd" which is quite humbling. One example is our parish formation night for all liturgical ministers. They represent almost all ministries I coordinate as DM/DL. Anyways, in the next year, we are going to go over SC (maybe selected "highlights"), so we get started on the documents. A couple of them own the GIRM too - YAY! I also do invite and go with them to formation programs, like presentations on specific topics (solid programs...fortunately we are close enough to some!) Two members were blown away by a Triduum workshop on the new Roman Missal and can't wait to go back. Plus it is relationship building, and garnering support for what you are trying to accomplish...
    I hope nobody thinks that I would for one minute recommend any of the resources I referred to or quoted in my first post in this thread.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Noted, DA! Hang tough!
  • benedictgal
    The resources I listed are those that I have used for our meetings. However, I usually bring my netbook or my tablet, since I have them downloaded onto both of them.