Improving Congregational Singing
  • Torculus
    > "I chose 15 of the best known traditional hymns, and used them exclusively for one year. "

Which 15 did you choose/would you recommend? \
  • CharlesW
    Without listing all of them, they were the traditional Marian hymns, the praise hymns, such as "Holy, Holy, Holy," "Praise My Soul the King of Heaven," and "O God Our Help in Ages Past." Also, "Holy God..." and such. All familiar to the congregation. Over time, I have introduced some new hymns, but never any of the self-praising, unsingable hymns from the seventies.
  • It's like we have discussed before, there are plenty of reasons people won't sing, but the biggest thing I have noticed, working in many parishes, is the participation of the pastor/associate. When I have worked at churches with the pastor or associates, and they stay and sing, walk in singing, it encourages the people. If you see your leader just standing there stairing into space, waiting for you to stop. The message they have received is, their Good Shepherd isn't participating, and why should I?

I have been at parishes, and we have sung the big four, entrance, offertory, communion, and recessional, and in those parishes where I have had the priest's total support, and him up their singing, so did the community. If they sense their shepherd isn't interested, neither will they be interested. I have watched this time and time again.

If you get a pastor at the end of mass, making the good ole irish dash out the door, so will your entire congregation. I have a pastor now, that usually waits through the 2-3 verse of the closing hymn, and the people stay, and sing, when he processes out, he is singing, and they sing as well. The associate on the other hand, because his native language isn't English, gives it his best, but doesn't usually sing as much, and at those masses, neither do the people. People could care less if the DM, Cantor, etc.. are singing,,,, they want to see the "boss" doing it. The other idea is, not changing hymns, tunes, or whatever, so constantly that the people can't learn them. It's nice that we are musicians and want to change constantly, but we have to remember those people out in the pews, only experience this once a week, if that, and don't have access to what we do, and know, on a daily bases. You want them to sing on their way to communion, then select 10 communion songs that you rotate between, and use them for a year or two, and notice the people start singing on their way to communion. If you have a projection system, use it. I do for hymns, and they sing on their way to communion.

Responsorial Psalms, as boring as it might seem, I try to use a common tone as much as possible for the verses, and even find people singing to the verses from time to time, as they have learned the patterns I use. The reason we hear of those protestants belting out hymns so well, is they use the same hymn book, same hymns, over and over, and the people learn them. For us, it will probably get boring after a while, but it doesn't have to, use hymn intros, modulations, improvise a little. Many of the great music artists of their day, Bach, Mozart, Handel, and on and on, never played the same things the same way, probably more than once or twice. If you want to eat the same ole hamburger every week, it's going to get old. Spicen it up.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • SJBCmusic
    Gavin, our pastor starting adding the St. Michael prayer after the dismissal several months ago. During Eastertide, we did the Regina caeli immediately after that, which I suppose was a "closing hymn," although not long enough for the procession to get out the door. Otherwise, the organ postlude begins immediately after the prayer to St. Michael. During Lent, we had a silent procession out at all Masses except on Laetare Sunday.

The announcement is simply "Hymn number ###" or "Please join in singing the _____ hymn found in the program." My predecessor didn't have announcements at all since everything was and is in the programs, but I figured (apparently wrongly) that it was worth a shot to encourage people to sing. But there have always been announcements at our school Masses because there are no programs and there are often last-minute changes. The organ intro is always long enough for people to turn to the correct page, if they haven't already done so from looking at the program or hymn board.

"- You say you don't program it because people leave or talk and don't sing. Yet people don't sing during the Communion hymn (and possibly leave during it too!), so why the insistence on that and not on a closing hymn?"
    1. The Communion cantusis part of the Mass; at three out of our four weekend Masses, the Communion hymn takes the place of the proper. A closing/recessional hymn, on the other hand, isn't part of the Mass any more than the St. Michael prayer is part of the Mass.
    2. People at least aren't talking during the Communion hymn.
    3. We're usually over the one hour mark by the dismissal and a lot of people won't stay in church any longer. (Funny, I never learned that the Sunday obligation was restricted to one hour!)
  • SJBCmusic
    E_A_Fulhorst, yes, I have the book you mentioned and have read it. Thanks for your helpful and constructive posts.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes it seems we can do all the right things, and get different results from Sunday to Sunday. Congregations, too, seem to have both good and bad days. Some days they do sing better than others. Blame it on the weather. It's as good a reason as any. ;-)
  • WOW - So many great and wonderful suggestions and thoughts! I am reluctant to add my two cents, but may I humbly suggest two thoughts.

First, remember that we are "Christians" by our love and thus "LEAD" by example. This means leadership within the Church (especially musical) should start with the clergy first, the choir and other musicians and works its way downward. Although a critic of the Vatican, I recent watch the Pentecost Mass and was for the first time, encouraged!

Secondly, since we lead by example, we should pray for the Holy Spirit to "inspire" and "enlighten" the hearts of the faithful into greater and greater degrees of service and joy. You can't make a horse drink but you sure can lead one to the water. It's up to the Holy Spirit to do the rest. Be patient, give all things time. They're thirsty or else they wouldn't be in church.

The true sheep will eventually sing out in response to the Shepherd's voice. And the goats, well, we all know what will happen to them!
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • chonakchonak
    I don't like announcing hymns. It would be so much more decorous to simply post the numbers on the hymn board and know that it's enough. And we do use a board. But making the announcement seems to make a difference. When I mention the missalette or the hymnal, people pick it up, so I've made that part of the formula:

"The recessional hymn is in the missalette [or 'in the red hymnal'] at number two-hundred-and-six, 'All Creatures of our God and King', number two-zero-six."
  • I hate announcing too, but chonak is right, without doing it, it just gives them even one more thing to not want to sing. You almost have to walk out, and turn everyone's hymnal, or worship aid, to the correct page.

As CharlesW suggested, you can do all the right things, and sometimes in the end. Nothing. It does depend on the congregation very much, and how they were raised, either very active, or lethargic.

I once sub-ed at an Espiscopal church for a funeral, and when I got the gig, I asked the deacon officiating, if there would be a cantor to sing the hymns, as I was employed just to play. He said, no. I asked,,,, uhh who is going to sing. He said, just annouce the hymn number, play an intro and watch. I did, and my God they nearly knocked me out of the organ loft. I finished the funeral, and the sacristan said, my goodness, I don't know what was wrong with this congregation, they must have not been from our church, they barely sang. I said to her, WHAT??? they nearly knocked me out of the organ loft with their singing. She said, ohh that was considered poor by our weekly standards.... I was shocked nonetheless. Everyone sang out with gusto.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • GavinGavin
    Who sings? The congregation. Simple common sense.

First "reform" I make in a Catholic church is to instruct the cantors not to sing into the mic on the hymns. The cantor singing the hymn is like the priest facing the congregation - single biggest liturgical (music) mistake of the past 50 years.
    Thanked by 2IanW Adam Wood
  • GavinGavin
    SJBC, by "announcement", I didn't mean so much to introduce the hymns, but rather, if you have such an appointed time in the liturgy, making a brief exhortation to sing the hymns. Of course, if your cathedral does not have a time for public announcements, you should consider yourself quite lucky in general! However, if you do, this is a good time to stand before the congregation and (again briefly) spell out the importance of their active participation in the music at Mass.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    I suggest using a paintball gun during the entrance procession. Anyone with hands free processing not holding a hymnal and singing gets baptized in a slightly painful way.

They'll never forget to sing again.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    People will sing, the easier the music is. This is a very profound statement.

Responsorial Psalms, as boring as it might seem, I try to use a common tone as much as possible for the verses, and even find people singing to the verses from time to time, as they have learned the patterns I use.
  • @gavin, yes, it would seem like simple common sense, but when you come from a Catholic church background, you get used to the congregations not singing, thus employing cantors to unfortunately fill the void, where the congregation is usually at. Not all of us are as fortunate to be in that very gifted church where everyone just knows to sing. The occurrence that I was referring to, was also a funeral, where people typically don't sing anyways, as most are mourning. Which unfortunately necessitates the use of a cantor to sing the mass.

As frogman suggests, the simpler the music, the people sing. It's dead on. The harder we make it, whether hymns, propers, ordinaries, plays a big role in whether they sing. I have equally heard propers that were just all over the place, and the people don't sing, just the same with hymns, or tune diddys, or whatever. As musicians, we look at music differently than the congregation typically does. An example of music that is beautiful, and I am not knocking it, but would be nearly impossible to sing congregationally, unless it was taught to them well, would be the standard pentecost sequence that is in many of the hymnals. Unless you take the time to teach something like that to the people, they are not going to sing it. There is a principle that I have learned from a very good organ method for improvising and embellishing, it is called the DFA syndrom. Doubt - Fear - Abstinence. When the people are in doubt of their singing, sense that they will be off, or out of tune, off note, whatever, that leads to fear, which leads to abstinence in singing.

The harder the music is, the more difficult it will be for people to sing it. Take a hymn such as Immortal Invisible,,,, and look over the simplicity of the form being used. AABA. Because the first two parts are the same, and fourth, all that is changing up is the third musical section. Therefore because of it's simplicity, it is easy to pick it up. Hymns like that one, Come Now Almighty King, Holy Holy Holy, and on and on, are just examples of how easy it is to pick it up. Unfortunately because we are in the Catholic church, and the G&P music has perversed the church for so long,,,,and singing the next great OCP/WLP/GIA favorite, has become the norm, people can't sing hymns. Good reading would be "Why Johnny can't sing hymns" how the pop culture rewrote the hymnal.

• canadashcanadash
    We have stopped announcing hymns this year at my mass. I'm not sure of the difference in congregational participation. All hymns continue to be posted on the board.

If you announce the hymn, from where do you announce it? I am in a choir loft. Just curious.

Noel, the paintball idea has merit and I have the perfect vantage point. I could use the liturgical colours too.
  • We are unfortunately up in the front of the church. When they remodeled our church several years ago (I was not DM there at the time) they converted the balcony for additional seating, which in all honesty, they needed. The Spanish masses sometimes are in such bad overflow, they are packed in the balcony and around all the church in standing. We have 4 masses in Spanish. They also did not have funds to put in tile or marble, so I am stuck with the acoustics killer (carpet), even though the church is beautiful and could easily have marble floors with killer acoustics.

It all boiled down to money, which I understand. We aren't taught to tithe as the protestants are. We annouce them from the front of the church. There are no hymn/song boards. We do have a projection system, which I absolutely love. It gives me the ability to do hymns that were excluded or not in the OCP materials, and can use propers, antiphons. Projection systems aren't just for the P&W crews. There are some really fine hymns that were not in OCP/GIA materials, and it just makes life easier. We can't afford to have worship aids printed, although when I do have congregants ask me if I have the music to a particular hymn, proper, etc... I quickly print them a copy as we have a wireless printer, hidden, in our music area.

I have trained the cantors to not go on and on about happy morning this and that. Just simply, The processional hymn/chant/psalm is in your music issue/missalette, at # ____, (repeat that 2-3 times) for the older community. That's it. No welcome this, happy that. If we use the projection for any of the above music, I don't have them annouce anything. I just start playing.
  • The only caveat about projection that I don't like is, it makes our congregations, IMHO, lazy and complacent, when it comes to looking at the music. I have yet to find a program that allows to project the melody lines along with lyrics.

The other concern that I have is the aesthetics of the church, otherwise it has been very helpful, and I find that using it especially at communion, has led to the congregation singing during the communion line.
  • 1) Get rid of 'cantors' in any form.
    2) Get rid of any and all singing through microphones, without exception.
    If you're not willing to do these thingsimmediately and without reservation, you're not actually interested in improving congretational singing.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Yes: by singing the hymn.

That would have to be the solution, wouldn't it? I suppose it could become second nature to open up a hymnal and turn to such-and-such a page, and even to sing a particular song if it gets used all the time, and this could be a preparation for the communion if the lyrics are suitable. Just because I've never seen congregational singing work at these points of the Mass doesn't mean it can't. Just because congregational singing post-communion always seems to encourage chattiness at the end of Mass and lingering crowds doesn't mean it actually does. Correlation does not equal causation, right?

But, again, these are side questions: Does it point towards the Sacrifice of the Mass? Does it speak of our utter unworthiness before Christ Crucified? Does it instill an atmosphere of prostrate devotion of finite, sinful man before his infinite redeemer?

I ask this not to accuse but in earnest frustration with the self-worshiping honky-tonk at a nearby parish. Parish music, as seen here and in this thread, has completely the wrong priorities --- "get the folks to sing!" Well, no. There's something far more important than volume or exterior participation.

The principle which condemns Old Lady Nosey from looking around during Communion, tut-tutting at impiety, I think, condemns this overweening concern with getting folks to behave a certain way.

/ But the Pastor has to take care of his flock, and the GIRM explicitly says "of one body in words and gestures and song" ---

That laity should not be looking around indeed doesn't apply to you. And there is a truth in saying that the music director is, as a music director, an implement of the pastor, and if the pastor wants this, you should do it. But you can only do so much, especially given American Catholic culture. Worry about more important stuff. What I was trying to get at was something more like this: Externals do not mean devotion, and only devotion matters!

Just as Eucharistic Adoration instills, in ardor, renewal in all the best ways you can't imagine, just so would centering of the music on the Sacrifice of the Mass intensify in the most meaningful way the extrinsic fruits of the Mass.
    Maybe one way to say this: If the only way to prepare for Communion is by singing the hymn, then singing the hymn should prepare you for Communion.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    E_A: your second comment captured the substance of my point. If the hymn functions as part of the Communion devotion (as I maintain it can), then we ought to be V-E-R-Y careful in selecting it!

Daniel: I think your first point, "Get rid of 'cantors' in any form," should be moderated, as I expressed it in my last post above. The cantor has a long-standing and valuable role in the Mass. He may sing the verses of the proper antiphons, and, in the OF, the verses of any other psalmody or acclamation. The cantor as "song leader", however, is a sham which should be eliminated at the earliest opportunity.

I think the true purpose of the cantor should be exalted, as it's something relatively unique to the Roman Rite. You just don't have anything comparable elsewhere, except perhaps in Judaism.
  • marajoymarajoy
    If you're not willing to do these things immediately and without reservation, you're not actually interested in improving congretational singing.

DBP-
    That's a pretty harsh generalized statement. I'm sure there are many forum members (myself included) who do NOT think that completely eliminating cantors and microphones is the ONLY way to improve congregational singing, so I'm not quite sure where you got the power to read our minds to determine whether or not we are "actually" interested in improving their singing.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • I wasn't going to even add to that at first, but then I thought, ok.... So while we are at eliminating cantors, and microphones, we should also eliminate organists, any church that doesn't look like a cathedral, all flowers from the church,,, song boards, as that takes away from proper aesthetics, lets keep going and just eliminate the people, no need for them to clutter up the santuary with their imperfections.

I apologize in advance for a strong post, but let's face reality, many things form a part of the body of Christ!

Cantors play an important role, and when properly trained, can be very effective in initiating singing. With that said, we don't need the next Celine Dion in mass, blairing through a microphone at the congregation, but their is no way for the congregation to learn new hymns, propers, ordinaries, psalms, and on and on, without the assistance of a well trained cantor. One that knows when to back away and give the congregation their opportunity to sing. So DBP, who exactly was going to sing that chaotic Pentecost Sequence in your church??? You were just going to play, and hope someone fills in the blanks??

As for microphones, I am going to go out on a limb on this one, and say eliminating them in certain acoustical environments, is absolutely absurd. Not every church has the acoustics to provide for with the elimination of microphones. This is unfortunate, but if you have trouble with that, you should have consulted all the builders of the world, their congregations, and told them how to properly build their churches with regard to acoustics.

I am not a proponent of using microphones just for the mere performance of a cantor, but to allow for those voids where someone in the back, and especially with some of our older congregations, can hear, what hymn/proper we are doing, and to facilitate learning of new propers, hymns, ordinaries, etc... etc... Once the congregation starts singing, cantors are or supposed to be trained, to back away, and let them drive on.

It would be nice if we all lived in that perfect liturgical world,,, but I think we are light years away from that.
    If the hymn functions as part of the Communion devotion (as I maintain it can), then we ought to be V-E-R-Y careful in selecting it!

Part of the reason I've grown to appreciate the structure of the Vetus Ordo more than the Novus Ordo is because the question of "selection" is left completely to maybe one or two hymns, usually old singable standbys of no dubious content. Or, if you are capable, selection may graduate into a smidge of polyphony.

Propers are the normative option. They should be treated as such for the very reason that hymn selection --- too often from OCP --- is hugely difficult; hymn selection for communion exponentially more difficult. But, if you are going to use the "preferential option," you're the one purposefully shouldering this unneeded burden.

Gavin: Keeping in mind the Sacrifice of the Mass, what are some appropriate hymns for communion or offertory? (I'll back off from post-communion and exit hymn for now, because there's where the music may be allowed to start loosening its belt.)
  • GavinGavin
    E.A., I think we may be getting far from SJBC's original topic, and indeed I'm rarely interested in a "this hymn vs that hymn" discussion. Though I am comfortable laying out my principles, in which I think we will generally find agreement, in the interest of clarity:

- First, there is no text for the Communion procession more appropriate than that of the proper chant.

- I do agree with you that a generous allowance for individual exercise of piety is ideal in this period. For that reason, I personally prefer not to use congregational music at all during Communion.

- That said, there is a clear preference in the legislation that, in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, the music should be congregational. So, when working in the OF (or another church where congregational music is clearly expected), I bend my own preference to that of the Church.

- For practicality, I assert that if Communion music must be congregational, it must also be REPETITIVE. I prefer to use a psalm with respond. At my current (Episcopal) church, we use a Taize-style chant. Something where people do not need to consistently use a musical resource, may meditate upon a sacred text, and may cease singing when needed without losing one's place.

- Hymns are a last resort, avoided at every possibility, and if used, are begun when a majority of the congregation has already communed.

You ask what sung texts I might consider appropriate for preparing for Communion. I would say the most appropriate are the psalms. I privately choose to read Psalm 116 when I commune. As for hymns, I'll admit I'm long-divorced from the Catholic repertoire of Communion hymnody, but I would say any text related to the mysteries of the day is appropriate. Others may disagree, but I find hymns of adoration to be well-suited, such as Tantum Ergo or O Salutaris. There are a wide range of good Communion hymns: Ecce Panis Angelorum, Lord Enthroned in Heavenly Splendor, Alleluia Sing to Jesus, O Esca Viatorum, to name a few greats. As I said above, a place should be made for individual piety, but I propose these are texts which would serve all well to prepare to commune, if they join in heart and voice - if one finds that hymnody is truly necessary.
    I think we may be getting far from SJBC's original topic, and indeed I'm rarely interested in a "this hymn vs that hymn" discussion.

Fair call, and good principles. Still, if the topic is:

They aren't singing! How can I get them to sing?

Then the right answer should be:

Adore God first; let the chips fall where they may.
  • BruceL
    SJBC, some ideas:

"We use Richard Rice's entrance antiphons, which are repeated by the congregation, so it's not a cantor solo the whole time. I would rather use the Tietze hymn introits, but the antiphons are what the pastor wants."

Ahem...if the priest is picking the repertoire, then I'd say it's his problem to reconcile participation and the choices. I would be happy if my pastor took more interest in my ideas of the liturgy, but even so, I am grateful that he doesn't interfere otherwise...and realizes that it's best to leave these decisions to the professionals. What he CAN and SHOULD do is make liturgical catechesis a part of his preaching and pastoral work...if he sees hymns as having a place in the liturgy, he has to "sell" that, too.

"We don't do closing hymns. People start leaving and talking as soon as the priest is out the door, so it's really pointless here to attempt singing."

I'm sorry, but while you of course have legislation on your side (we all know there is no provision for a closing hymn), this is the most obvious place to have some singing. If you are going to have hymns in the liturgy (even though, with exception of the Gloria, they do not belong to the Mass), you've already gone down the slippery slope. I've already gone far down it, but then again, I knew it when I took my job. The closing hymn is an obvious place to have singing, though, since it is a way people can respond (in song) to the graces they have received in the Holy Eucharist (and the Mass in its entirety.) I think shooting this down is a big mistake.

Finally, I think it's a mistake to announce all the hymns. You should announce the initial one, especially if you are doing entrance hymn and then an introit. You can make a simple announcement that welcomes everyone to church and THEN says, "please join in singing...", etc. That's it. If you add announcements of songs during Mass, you interrupt the flow of the liturgy. Furthermore, you are encouraging the "culture of non-participation" by spoon-feeding people. If they can't be counted upon to look in their worship aid...well, there are bigger problems.

Are you bold enough to post a representative recording of your hymn-playing? That could also yield some help. We all have our own way of playing hymns, but certainly there are things that we can say are true in all cases (i.e., if you play way too fast, people can't breathe...and so cannot sing, etc.)
  • SJBCmusic
    No, I don't mind. My hymn playing is solid and consistent. Go to http://www.lifecastpro.com/streamarchives/sjbc/ListFiles.asp

I'm playing for almost all Masses since (and including) Ash Wednesday, 2/22/12. Exceptions: the weekend of 3/10-11 and the 5/6 8:30 Mass. Please note that the recording mics are not the same as what feeds into the sound system, so the cantor is very prominent on the webcast archives.

Participation on the entrance antiphon and responsorial psalm generally are not a problem. Same for the ordinary. It would be unfair to say that the pastor is picking the repertoire. He wants the entrance antiphon in English, not a metrical paraphrase of it; I'm free to select any setting within those reasonable parameters. It is the hymns (offertory, communion, postcommunion) that are the problem as far as the congregational singing is concerned.
  • SJBCmusic
    Since this thread has been taken in so many different directions, it may be helpful for me to rephrase my initial question:

What can I as the organist do, either personally or by directing the cantors, to encourage my congregation at least to make an effort to participate in the singing of offertory, Communion, and postcommunion hymns? This means picking up their hymnal or program, turning to the correct page, opening their mouth, and singing, rather than engaging in their private devotion, looking around, or texting.

Please, no more discussion of propers vs. hymns, the importance of polyphony, sacramental piety, etc.! You can start another thread for that.
  • CharlesW
    Choose a core of hymns and don't throw new stuff at the congregation continually. Play with sufficient registration to lead the singing. Have the cantors lead, not solo sing. Watch the volumes and lead, don't dominate.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
    If you're only worried about the symptoms at the moment, then consider: Chant Cafe had a post on this.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Choose a core of hymns and don't throw new stuff at the congregation continually. Play with sufficient registration to lead the singing. Have the cantors lead, not solo sing. Watch the volumes and lead, don't dominate.

From one of the Charles' to another-
    Simplify. But not in the manner you suggest above. Before I reduce this to an axiom I just caution that trying to construct an organizational flow chart THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE to anyone regarding all the aspects of how and who sings what at Mass is nigh impossible given the GIRM we hold in hand. That said, I believe the issue that is coming to some sort of a head is whether the tension between the processional Option One and Four will remain status quo. Just as important, no one (to my knowledge) has yet articulated a thesis for popular consumption (that unfortunately excludes Mahrt) of how to impart a general catechesis to any Catholic congregation of the face of the earth that explains the heirarchy of FACP "segments" of the Mass stated in Musicam Sacra that are principally assigned to the WHOLE assembly (Pater noster), those in option (practically everything), or those to the choir/schola (Propers), which is, in practice, still in play as far as we have SEP, Tietze, Pluth that we are advocating as being more in concert with orthopraxis than not.
    Okay, back to hymns, which is limited to my first point, ie. Option 1 v. Option 4.
    The objective of opting for Four cannot only be defended by a contrived convenience of using a core of hymns (what Proulx called the "classics", what I call the Usual Suspects) in my opinion. If the objective is to simply get "them" to sing, then all is lost because it would be no more beneficial to truly active participation to treat them to "America the Beautiful" so they feel "edified" by communal singing (like "Take me out to the ballgame...or...Happy Birthday) or some lowest denominator than it would be for them to ignore a bad schola chanting the Introit in Tagolog, English or Latin.
    A connected DM would thoroughly examine the fourth option repertoire provided in the worship books chosen by the pastor primarily based upon text and then make the qualitative decision (just think of the hymn/song options for Ps. 23 out there) which abets either an allusion to the Propers or to the scriptures.
    To illustrate directly: I've read any number of posts that ascribe tunes such as ABBOTS' LEIGH as congregation-unfriendly. Really? Well, then the tune much less a worthy text such as "God is Love" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. OTOH, the potency of "Church of God, Elect and Glorious" may be diminished if the DM is programming HYFRYDOL in its various incarnations every freaking week.
    My point, and I do have one, is simple: choose the best option four text/tune at one's disposal, invite the congregation any darn way you want (announce, hymnboard, megaphone, hologram) and make sure your choir (optimal) or cantor (not a fan) renders it in the appropriate manner so that folks inclined can enjoin. If they choose not to, then hopefully they'll listen or read the text. If that fails, then is the DM to look in the mirror and go "Boo hoo, I've failed them."?
  • CharlesW
    It isn't a perfect world, nor is it likely to be in my lifetime. I suspect many of the tensions and problems will be with us for years to come. For some congregations, hymns are a good place to start with propers a possibility in the future. Other congregations never get past the hymns. If hymns are what the guy has to work with, then he should work with hymns and do the best possible job he can.
  • BruceL
    No, I don't mind. My hymn playing is solid and consistent. Go to http://www.lifecastpro.com/streamarchives/sjbc/ListFiles.asp

I'm playing for almost all Masses since (and including) Ash Wednesday, 2/22/12. Exceptions: the weekend of 3/10-11 and the 5/6 8:30 Mass. Please note that the recording mics are not the same as what feeds into the sound system, so the cantor is very prominent on the webcast archives.

Participation on the entrance antiphon and responsorial psalm generally are not a problem. Same for the ordinary. It would be unfair to say that the pastor is picking the repertoire. He wants the entrance antiphon in English, not a metrical paraphrase of it; I'm free to select any setting within those reasonable parameters. It is the hymns (offertory, communion, postcommunion) that are the problem as far as the congregational singing is concerned.

Thanks CSJB: I'll respond to anything I hear in the playing via PM on the forum. This isn't a hymn playing masterclass, after all! :)

If people are singing the entrance antiphon, then why not ditch the entrance hymn? Do a simple antiphon and alternate it with psalm verses (as prescribed in the gradual) and organ versets. You all have a fantastic new organ! I think when you do something interesting (yet recognizable) with the antiphon, it will really inspire people! I don't do a lot of interludes since it is not the tradition here, but when I do, it does tend to provoke hearty participation.

Also, the ordinary and responses are really (according to Vatican II and the USCCB, not necessarily liturgical tradition) what belongs to the assembly, so again, maybe they are just trying to say that they don't want as much singing as you are trying to give them...

Another difficulty will inevitably be encountered anytime we program hymns into a Catholic liturgy in an "average" parish (even a cathedral): what is a "hymn" that is acceptable, and what is a "song"? For example, I like LAUDA ANIMA a great deal with words from the psalms (i.e., "Praise, my soul"); however, at least in the mind of the documents, it is on the same level as pieces I like much less (i.e., Inwood's "Center of my life", also psalm text)...unless one of those psalms is a prescribed antiphon. I'm sure if you were playing for an Anglican Use place, they would favor the first for good reason, but the distinction is muddied in a normal parish since people have so many different expectations.

Now, back on track to this: What can I as the organist do, either personally or by directing the cantors, to encourage my congregation at least to make an effort to participate in the singing of offertory, Communion, and postcommunion hymns? This means picking up their hymnal or program, turning to the correct page, opening their mouth, and singing, rather than engaging in their private devotion, looking around, or texting.

To be frank, other than playing capably and having a good, solid introduction at the beginning of Mass (and hopefully a worship aid with reference to the hymnal), there is NOTHING you can do at the actual liturgy. It's not your job: we can't "lay preach", so to speak. You can 1) have an informational series of talks on the "why" of hymn-singing. This could get you a "faithful cadre" that could evangelize, so to speak. On the other hand, people may not care...and may not come! 2) Keep on that priest to catechize, as well as the deacons. 3) A "must" is to get kids and youth on your side. Even if you can't make them love the music you love, at least you can teach them that only well-prepared, well-executed singing is appropriate for the worship of God. Of course this depends on an individual musician's ability, but in general shoddy work (and substandard rep) isn't acceptable. The kids are key, though: if parents see the kids singing, they will be persuaded. So, make this liturgical/musical education part of the kids' religious formation, either at the parish school or in CCD.
    Thanked by 1jward
  • GavinGavin
    I agree with Bruce: there really isn't anything more you can do within the model provided. Your hymn playing is solid, you're programming good music, and treating the hymn properly.

The big question is: What do you do if there isn't anything more you can do to improve participation in the model you have? Change the model? Accept that you're playing a solo with the cantor? Choir at all Masses?

Watching this: http://www.lifecastpro.com/streamarchives/sjbc/1 22 12 530pm.asf I'm not sure that there's a huge problem, unless this is a choir Mass. No, it doesn't sound like a church should, but it sounds like people are trying.

I still don't recall a response to the question of whether an announcement was ever made. I remember, when we first introduced Gloria VIII at a church, a guest priest began his sermon by SHAMING the congregation - "You have this beautiful music to sing, and many of you don't even lift a book!" Offertory hymn was nice and full. I think a shaming is rather heavy, but someone needs to say that the hymns are there to sing!
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • SJBCmusic
    Gavin, that actually was a choir Mass. It was unusual for other reasons as well: 1. the hymns were selected by someone at the diocese, not the cathedral; and 2. the congregation included a number of priests and religious from the diocese, so participation was MUCH more enthusiastic than at a normal Sunday evening Mass here.

Any perception of the quality of congregational singing from the webcast archives is misleading because what the recording mics pick up is much different from what one actually hears in the church. On that particular recording, you're mostly hearing the choir. I posted the link for examples of my hymn-playing, but not every Mass on there is with me at the organ. Check out one of the ones I mentioned above - other than the Chrism Mass - to get an idea of typical St. John's.
  • IanWIanW
    Daniel Bennet Page said "Get rid of 'cantors' in any form ... If you're not willing to do [this] immediately and without reservation, you're not actually interested in improving congregational singing."

I understand where you're coming from, Daniel (especially where amplification is involved), but please consider the possibility of over-reaction. We find a combination of Cantor, Schola and All quite workable, in so far as the Catholic All wishes to sing the Mass; and it works quite well with tradition.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I have to agree there's nothing wrong with the organ playing. I was tickled though to hear the Byzantine intercessions sung in equal semibreves, as it is notated: we learned it as half, quarter-quarter whole. So, maybe have a word with the cantor about the diphthong "Lord, hee-yuh our prayer".

I suppose having trained voices is out of the question for pastoral/financial reasons? The caveat about the recording mike not reflecting the actual amplification aside, I wonder if the cantors are simply too prominent. Certainly they needn't repeat the Gradual refrain on the congregation's behalf: encourage them to sing their half of the dialogue and then beam expectantly. If you have the nerves to stick to this for a couple of weeks you'll be surprised at the result.

Thanked by 2jward CHGiffen
  • SJBCmusic
    Richard, which Mass did you listen to? I would be interested to know which cantor it was. We haven't sung the intercessions since my predecessor left a few months ago. You may not have even been listening to my playing.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ah,

I listened to a couple, actually: 1 15 12 830 Bishop Duca.asf and the more current Ascension choral service.
  • I remember landing in a European city one Easter morning, and my nuclear family made straight for the cathedral. The hymn began, and the only people singing the hymns were the choir and my family (Episcopalians, in a lovely Roman Catholic cathedral). Our neighbors looked at us like we were nuts...and we started handing them our pew books, open to Jesus Christ is risen today. At the end of the hymn (and a couple others) our little cluster was singing, but the rest of the room, not so much. I'm not sure what the dynamic is that causes this, but in Europe, the same problem exists in England, even with its Anglican choir schools...and surprisingly, in some Lutheran churches in Germany I have visited. (In Holland, though, everybody sings!) My wife is a chapel leader at the Catholic high shool at which she teaches; it took her a few years, but she made it the expectation that the kids were expected to sing the hymns, and she enlisted the religious faculty to help during class time...and today, they sing heartily. So I wonder, is there some invisible peer pressure, a kind of dark matter, that prevents many Catholics from singing? My last visit to a Sunday mass, it was a wonderful space, a spectacular organ, a fabulous choir....and me, the lone singing parishioner in the pews.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    Print only the melody lines of the hymns to be sung during mass. Print the chant parts such as the preface dialogue. Use the ICEL Kyrie, which is a call-resposne type (Cantor/All) and it will encourage them to sing.

Keep a core group of your singers in the choir area, and then distribute a number of the others amongst the congregation on a rotating basis. It might be a case of monkey-see-monkey-do, but it works.

Use easy and familiar Hymn Tunes. On Marian feasts I use "Hail Queen of Heaven, the Ocean Star" (Stella), on most other Saint's days I use "By All Your Saints Still Striving" (Aurelia), and then a selection of other general hymns for ordinary time "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty", "Holy God We Praise Thy Name", "Hail Redeemer, King Divine".

Drake's Broughton has three common hymns set to it. "Firmly I Believe and Truly", "See us Lord about thine altar" and "Hear thy children gentlest mother". Space them well apart, and it is a handy one to have.