Improving Congregational Singing
  • SJBCmusic
    What's the best way for musicians to encourage congregational singing? We have a fine choir, two excellent scholas, good cantors, and a terrific new organ, but our congregational singing is absolutely abysmal, even by Catholic standards. I've tried everything I can think of and am at wit's end.

The notion of "listening to the cantor sing" seems to be what people here associate with "hymn singing." In recent months, I have gone back to having the cantor announce the hymns instead of only putting them in the program, but many people refuse to pick up their programs or open their hymnals. I have also instructed the cantors to back away from the mic after the first phrase. This has resulted in complaints: "We can't hear the cantor anymore" or "The organ's too loud" (foundations 8' and 4'; generally no upperwork or reeds!). My reply is always, very politely, "The congregation is supposed to be singing, not listening to a solo by the cantor."

As far as I can tell, we're doing everything possible to encourage singing. We have a complete printed program each weekend with all congregational hymns and Mass parts clearly indicated; these are handed out by the ushers as people arrive. We generally do solid, familiar hymns in comfortable keys, along with Gregorian chant. The hymns are listed in the program and are also announced, and the intro is always long enough for people to find their place in the book.

As a rule, we use the Rice entrance antiphons and psalms, and hymns at the offertory, Communion, and postcommunion (hymn of praise). The ordinary for Eastertide has been Mass VIII with the Lee Congregational Mass Gloria at the non-choir Masses. We've also sung the simple Regina caeli at the end of all Masses since Easter, but after six weeks, still little participation. For funerals we still get plenty of requests for the "Eagle's Wings" and "Here I Am" style of music, but nobody sings along with that either.

The only exceptions have been during Lent. At Stations of the Cross with Benediction, the people sing the Stabat Mater, O salutaris (in Latin), Tantum ergo (also in Latin), and one stanza of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name," and there is no cantor at this service. But when we do "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" at Mass, there's the usual silence downstairs. For the RCIA Rite of Election, the singing was very good, but we had a full house and they're mostly converts from Protestant churches.

Any suggestions? I'm considering reducing my organ registrations to something barely adequate to accompany the cantor. At least then nobody can complain that the organ's too loud when the congregation's supposed to be singing. Every weekend I feel like I'm accompanying an imaginary congregation and hoping for the best downstairs, but there are no signs of improvement. As long as we're giving people the "opportunity" to sing, the clergy don't seem to care whether they actually do or not.
  • Liam
    How about trying no organ? (Don't faint; it can work fine - I used to program music for Masses where all accompanists were out, and it worked fine so long as we chose sturdy tunes.) As a presumptive rule, the best tunes for congregational singing are those that don't require accompaniment anyway. Definitely explain that you are experimenting in response to feedback about the use of the organ and what you've observed (so it's not a punishment, just an experiment) and that you invite feedback about the experiment. Do be sure to program Holy God We Praise Thy Name, which is a good gold standard to measure things against.

I am assuming that your hymn repertoire is one the community is long used to; if it's a new program, then passive resistance may be more salient as an issue.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Do you have the ability to scatter "ringers" throughout the congregation? Can you get the Priest to sing?
    Thanked by 2PurpleSquirrel Mairi
  • WGS
    Is the church carpeted? If it is carpeted, perhaps each individual in the pew can hear only himself. This would discourage most from singing. However, as mentioned, the most important factor is whether or not the celebrant is enthusiastically singing the acclamations, etc. such as defined in the 1st degree of participation of Musicam Sacram.
    Thanked by 2PurpleSquirrel Mairi
  • Liam
    This is the space, right?:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GqWV8b5dke0/TNDygnHpV5I/AAAAAAAAETw/TJMlFRt9C0c/s1600/PB020090+x+rszd+900.jpg

If the priest sings hymns (as opposed to his part of the dialogues), it should be with his body microphone OFF....
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • GavinGavin
    First and foremost, in this situation it's easy to blame yourself - don't!! It sounds like you're doing everything you can.

I wonder, is the priest singing the hymns? If he does not, the congregation will probably not either.

It may be controversial here, but also the parish leadership (yourself, priest) could take a moment to call out the problem. A minute's announcement before the end of Mass to explain the role of congregational song in worship, or a mention from the pulpit by the priest. Be explicit. People may jump on me for suggesting the horror of announcements or encouragement, but I ask what one would do if the people did not recite any of the other prayers at Mass? Would we have the priest call out "Dominus Vobiscum" and be met with "...."?

It sounds like you're doing a good job, but sadly your situation is all too familiar to anyone who's so much as set foot in a Catholic church.
  • canadashcanadash
    When I read your post I realized something I've noticed at our parish too. The times the congregation are a singin' are the times that the "most" faithful are at mass. At our church only those who are truly faithful are at the stations, they are the ones that go to Holy Thursday mass and know the Latin hymns. Those are the people who sing. People don't sing at funerals, because most of those attending don't generally go to church. We have a Wednesday evening mass attended by about a hundred people and they sing with more vim and vigour than the 800 who attended Sunday mass. I think it is a lack of faith. At our church many go because they have to put in their time.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    This is also why in many parishes, the number of people holding hymnals decreases row by row the further they are from the altar.

• GavinGavin
    Something I'd like to do, if I had the bravery, is spot someone in the congregation, someone relatively devoted to the parish and the liturgy. Then go up to them after Mass, introduce myself, and ask, "why did you not sing the hymns today?"

I really wonder what the response would be. I wonder also if, after doing this 50 or so times, if 1) I'd have a significant data set from which to extrapolate information, and 2) the problem would solve itself....
  • I think Gavin's idea of an announcement and/ or encouragement is a good one! At our parish, I told the pastor of reports that some people were hushed when singing the ordinary, because the hushers wanted to hear the choir. Our pastor took it as a call for clarification on what the people can sing and why they should be doing so.

He's discussed this by way of education from the pulpit twice this year.

Some people will always be silent, out of skewed piety, embarassment, lots of their own little children distracting them, or laziness.
    But when it is explained to the people why we sing the mass, and what parts of mass are specifically 'their property', it can only increase their sense of ownership and stake in preserving a great tradition of sung prayer.
  • Charles in CenCA
    He's discussed this by way of education from the pulpit twice this year.
    Well, that's two more times than... nevermind.

But I can't count the times I've pleaded for liturgical catechesis to be folded into homilies (which, to me seems ridiculous, as I can't figure out how scriptural exegesis excludes worship, I'll come back to that in a moment) through subterfuge if necessary.
    OTOH, I've had the same attitude as our beloved Ms. Ballou for years- "they" have been subjected to any number of changes and shock treatments over decades while we've been trying to simultaneously improve our "product" and fulfill our supportive role. So, if we've done our jobs well, and they still sit on the hands and zip the lips, amen.

Regarding liturgical catechesis and homilies- I was struck by Fr. Barron's take on worship in his magnificent "CATHOLICISM." He points out that human activity that has no benefit or "product" as a designated outcome, such as recreation or play, is in fact the most valuable in existential terms in which humans engage. He therefore deems worship of God to be the most illogical activity humans do, thus making it the most important thing we do. So, why homilists avoid "storytelling about worship" in favor of forensics about storytelling remains a profound mystery to me. Endeth the rant.
  • Heath
    Lots of good advice above . . . I did a project for a master's degree in which I interviewed music directors *and* congregants to assess what the biggest factors were in encouraging congregational song. The biggest one, by far, was the priest singing along with everything.

And to affirm other items above: priest singing his parts with the people responding, announcing hymns (I *hate* this practice, but it helps), building a sturdy repertoire, a familiar hymn for the processional to get the proverbial juices flowing, strong vocal leadership, but preferably not through a mic, etc.
    Thanked by 2canadash Claire H
  • SJBCmusic
    Thank you all for some good ideas! To answer a few questions-
    1. We have no carpet and the cathedral acoustics are ideal for robust congregational singing.
    2. The priest chants his parts of the Mass.
    3. Usually the priest's mic is turned off for the hymns.
    4. The people in the front actually seem to be some of the least likely to open their hymnals and participate.
    5. The benefactors who paid for the new organ might have a heart attack if the organ were to be omitted. ;)

The pastor has approved the follow notice to go in our handouts for the next few weeks:

In recent weeks, conscious efforts have been made at the cathedral to encourage congregational singing. Hymns are a time for the whole congregation to sing, not to listen to the cantor or choir. Usually, the priest and cantor microphones are turned off except when they are supposed to be heard solo. The printed Mass programs are prepared and distributed each week to facilitate the vocal participation of the congregation. Hymn numbers are included in the program, posted on the hymn boards, and announced by the cantor or organist.

Please open your hymnal and join in singing! Like the spoken prayers and responses, the hymns and sung responses are an important element in the active participation of the faithful in the sacred liturgy. Singing is a more solemn form of prayer, and the Mass is meant to be sung, not spoken. Do not be timid about letting your voice be heard! Participate vocally and encourage your family to do likewise. Our cathedral should become a place where everyone feels welcome to sing enthusiastically and thus fully worship our Lord with heart, mind, and voice.
    Thanked by 2Claire H CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Ah, but is the programming of these hymns what has obtained for years before the organ, or is it of relatively recent vintage (the past year or three)?
  • Claire H
    This thread grabbed me immediately because the parish where I work seems so lifeless when it comes to congregational singing (and choral singing...we have extremely few resources as far as singers in the "choir" right now). On Sunday I was blessed to attend a newly-ordained priest's first Mass and was struck at the simple joy of all the people in pews around me actually singing! The Church and crowd were smaller than here and between a nicely full organ, decently-strong, skilled small choir, and vocally participating congregation of a couple hundred, it was a joyous, powerful sound filling the place. I came back and said to my pastor: "I want the people here to experience, to taste that!" I don't think they ever have, and how to "wake them up" is, as others have already elaborated, quite the mystery and challenge...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • I'm considering reducing my organ registrations to something barely adequate to accompany the cantor

I would strongly encourage you to not do this for hymns. The congregation needs to know that the organ is the leader, especially on the hymns and ordinary. At our non-choral Masses, I purposely have the cantor sing without a mic on the hymns (excepting more rhythmically complicated choices and refrain/verse selections, especially during Communion) and ordinary.

In order for the people to sing the hymns well, they need to be given some responsibility--they need to know that if they don't sing, then things will likely fall apart. It's impossible to impart this notion if a cantor is singing as well. Strong leadership by the organist is crucial, as well as lots of time. In most places, in my opinion, we have been going about congregational singing in a completely unnatural manner for the past fifty years. It takes a long time to undo that.

At my current parish, the people sing beautifully, which I attribute to a nearly complete absence of cantors for years before I got here. The congregation had to stand on their own two feet. I admit it would be harder to achieve all this if you have to undo "cantor dependency," but it's still possible. It will just take a while, and as with all things, sensitivity and prudence are key. It might also not be a bad idea to pare down your hymn repertoire a bit, just for the time being.

So basically, a more nuanced role for the cantor is what works for us. The congregation knows that certain things belong to the cantor (psalm verses, etc) and certain things belong to them.

There might also be "genetic reasons" outside of your control. I don't know what it's like in your area, but in western Pennsylvania the willingness to sing can vary wildly from parish to parish, depending on the ethnic makeup of the group (even if they've been off the boat for 150 years). Here we have a lot of Slavs and Germans, who, in general, find singing a natural expression of faith. The Irish...typically find other ways of expressing it.
    Thanked by 2Claire H Gavin
  • Claire H
    njgw, those are some really important points about the role of cantor! One thing that was distasteful about the afore-mentioned first Mass was an almost "in-your-face" cantor that was completely unneeded for most of the Mass. :(
  • Marc Cerisier
    What worked for me was to do as much as possible a capella. We sing all of the dialogs that can be sung in the missal, so that helps. A stable repertoire is also important. Of course, I think cultivating a singing congregation is really a multi-year project.

On the same lines as a stable repertoire, consistency--in general--is really important. Our congregation knows that regardless of which Mass they attend, who the organist is, who the cantor is, the music is going to be exactly the same. They might not realize what's happening, but that consistency really supports the congregation. While it is costly and a bit wasteful, we prepare 8-12 page booklets for each weekend to make sure there's no question about exactly what's going to be happening during the liturgy--every dialog, spoken or sung, and if sung, we try to include the priests part also so there's a point of reference for those who would be helped by it... all of the music is engraved to a set style sheet--only including the verses that will be used, making sure there aren't confusing indications of multiple endings or repeats.

It's all a bunch of work, and does--at least in our case--keeps the music staff busy, but the payoff in participation--and, I believe--the congregation being able to more fully immerse themselves in each liturgy is worth every minute of it.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SJBCmusic
    Liam, Gather Comprehensive is what's in the pews. For approximately the last three years, only the more traditional (i.e., organ-friendly) hymns have been used except at school Masses. A mixture of traditional and more contemporary/folk hymnody was used previously. We have also included hymn inserts in the program, but less frequently now than under my predecessor. He liked to put everything in the program, even if it was something already in our hymnal. In all seriousness, I believe that picking up a hymnal and opening it to the right page to sing has a beneficial psychological effect on worshipers. And nearly all the hymns we use from Gather are things they've been singing for years.
  • Liam
    I would only caution that, for many Catholic congregations, the idea of the organ as leader is equivocal. I fully agree that the cantor and priest should not lead congregational singing with their own overly audible singing. But I would say it is much more common for Catholic congregants to find organ is too overwhelming than insufficient; thus, I prefer to say that the organ supports, rather than leads, song to convey this distinction. I have just been in way too many Catholic congregations (this battle is currently being fought under relatively new musical leadership where I am) where people just clam up if the organ is too loud or overwhelming. They actually need to be able to hear each other more than the organ. I know this is something even organists violently disagree with each other about, but I've seen this dynamic at work for three decades and it's just the reality in many places, and cannot be conquered outright.

And, I would venture, this is to be expected in Catholic liturgy. The musical norm for Catholic liturgy is unaccompanied or lightly accompanied chant. It's quite natural, even when Catholics in the pews rarely chant these days, for their expectations to be formed by that more liminal norm, and even for that to affect how hymnody is engaged. The more hymns that are chosen that can be thought of as sisterly to the chant idiom (where the overall arc of phrasing dictates a flowing tempo, and the accompaniment is supportive rather than leading), the more one can see an integration along these lines.
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • IanWIanW
    Not being a Catholic from birth I begin with the assumption that it's good for the congregation to sing, and my understanding of that (even after all these years) is that it is good for them to sing louder than Catholics do. The problem is, that makes me a busybody - a convert busybody with experience and love of excellent (non-Catholic) congregational song, rather than a late liturgical movement busybody, but a busybody nonetheless. We can't manufacture a tradition of congregational song; it has to be the outcome of cultural development, as it is in the Ordinariate. The liturgical movement aimed to encourage such development within the context of the Mass and Catholic culture as received. There is some evidence that it was beginning to make headway, tho' this is the kind of thing whose effect is measured over centuries; but the sudden introduction of a new form of the Mass and the foment of novel ideas about participation represented a break with that development. In the circumstances, one can hardly blame congregations for their passive resistance to the latest enthusiasms, no matter our conviction of their authenticity.
    Thanked by 1jward
  • PMulholland
    The Parish Priest really is your biggest help in this situation. If he can be encouraged to devote a small portion of his sermon from time to time throughout the year, to the role of the lay faithful at Mass, that would indeed help. Many clergy do not sing well so that is not always a good solution either. Apart from objection to the singing being dominated by a single voice, but a little encouragement along the lines of what Gavin has suggested would be good. At the end of Mass, most people want out and don't really care what Father has to say unless it is funny. At the sermon, you might get a few people to tune in when they may have tuned out what Father was talking about.

The lack of singing could be a big blessing if you want to encourage people to sing the parts that belong to them. Father could really emphasize the ordinaries, responses and preface dialogue. If the resources are there, why not have a parish mission that place emphasis on the liturgy. This would be of both spiritual and practical benefit.
    A fresh approach is surely needed however you look at your situation.

Peter
  • WendiWendi
    For the sake of clarification...are they just not singing the hymns? Or are they not singing anything at all?

If it's just the hymns that you are having a participation issue with...here's a radical thought...take them out, and have your choirs and scholas chant the Propers instead. If they aren't going to sing anyway, you might as well go back to first choice for music.

Why Yes, I am in the middle of reading Mr. Tucker's book...why do you ask?
    Thanked by 2Mark M. jward
  • GavinGavin
    I would suggest the same as Wendi, but then I saw that this has already been done: the only hymns are the Offertory, Communion, and Post-Communion hymns.

My own preference is to have hymns at a time when the people are standing - Entrance and after Mass. Singing is easier while standing.
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • WendiWendi
    My suggestion is to remove them entirely. Hymns sung before, during or after Mass are not a requirement, they are in fact a substitution for chanted propers. If something else is needed because communion lines are long then polyphony will serve the purpose admirably.
  • Liam--I agree with you up to a point. I, too, have experienced organists who overwhelm congregations with the organ, and agree that it's detrimental to congregational singing and quite annoying. There is a fine line between leading and overwhelming, and it is the organist's job to know what that is. A lot of it has to do with registration--lots of foundation, which admittedly is easier on some instruments than others.

I still contend, though, that in singing hymns and metrical settings of the ordinary that someone or something has to lead the congregation. Ideally, this is a combination of organ and choir, but in the absence of a choir, the organ alone is the natural choice. Having a cantor lead hymns, etc. from a microphone in front of the congregation while being simply supported by the organ is going about it all wrong, IMHO, because for most people, the natural reaction to someone singing into a microphone is to listen, not to sing along.

I agree with you that the idea of the organ leading singing is somewhat foreign to Catholic worship, but then again, isn't metrical hymnody as well? My point is this: if we're going to do this (metrical hymnody and settings of the ordinary), then we need to do it right. It is going to sound different than chant, but it ought to.

All of this obviously applies to metrical hymntunes like LOBE DEN HERREN, LASST UNS ERFREUEN, etc., and not to the quasi-chant hymntunes that you alluded to (which I agree should be more prominent). There the organ naturally takes on a supportive role, rather than that of leadership.
  • This goes back to my feeling that congregations have a tendency to use "music for entertainment" during the mass. I have the same problem. We have a very small church (seats 300) and the choir/organ is almost on the altar, so everybody not only hears us, but also sees us. As a result, except for those faithful who are very pious all the time, the faithful like to sit back and listen to the music. If I sing propers, they get upset with me. If I use hymns, they won't sing, even very familiar hymns. I'm also at a loss as to how to encourage singing. But, you can't force it. If it's not coming from the heart, nothing we do as musicians and/or DM's is going to change anything.
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Andrew Motyka
    I have a very gutsy suggestion:

Cut the cantor altogether. If you need someone to announce the hymns, fine, but after that make it clear to people that they have to sing. There can be only one leader of congregational song, and it can't be the cantor or the priest. It MUST be the organ, especially if your acoustic is live. Our church has a very long reverb, and if the priest has his microphone on, he will sing a full second after the organ plays. This is fine if he isn't mic'ed, but when he is it makes everything come crashing to a drag.

Singing, whether congregational or choral is about responsibility. The congregation needs to know that they are responsible for singing their parts of the Mass.

I'm probably being passive-aggressive, but if that doesn't work I'd be tempted to just scale back congregational singing altogether. After the choir/schola sings alone for most of the propers, you'll start to get complaints in the other direction. "Why don't you program music the people can sing?"

That's when it becomes acceptable to bash your head against the wall.
  • SJBCmusic
    There are some good suggestions here, but there are also some comments that come across as a bit out of touch. Are there music directors out there who actually have the resources to supplement chanted propers with polyphony at four Masses every weekend? More power to them! But we're not in a position to do that here. We have a choir at one Mass only, with no possibility for balanced choirs at the other three Masses. We do not have the resources in our office at present to produce multiple printed programs for the various Masses, so we have to be content with a single program for all four Masses and work within those parameters.

I really wonder if we are not giving people enough credit. And I also think a lot of musicians tend to make a "Catholic" hymn singing issue out of what is, in reality, an "American Catholic" issue. I have been to Masses in a number of Catholic churches overseas where the congregational singing was very enthusiastic. I find it discouraging that instead of working to encourage that kind of singing in the United States, so many musicians choose to throw in the towel and resort to more "simple" music that is bland and, ultimately, uninspiring.

Reflecting on my own experiences from sitting in the congregation, I'm reconsidering my organ registrations. When practically nobody is singing downstairs, even in a packed church, organ with foundations 8' & 4' mf DOES come across as too loud—especially so when there's an amplified cantor competing with the organ. I've done away with the amplified cantor here, but the folks downstairs aren't embarrassed enough about their silence to start singing. I hope the notice in our Mass programs along with slightly lighter organ registrations will do the trick after a few weeks. I'll report back soon.
  • SJBCmusic, I think you're doing the right thing. Doing away with the cantor amplification is the way to go, but it will likely take a while for the congregation to react appropriately. The notice in the Mass programs will hopefully be a help.

In your organ registrations, do you ever solo out the melody on hymns? A mellow reed in the tenor register often helps. Even with foundations only, I find that soloing out the melody is helpful for leadership. For example: a 4' Octave on the Great can sometimes be too much in all four voices, but if only employed for the melody, it is less overwhelming.
  • redsox1
    I think hearty congregational singing depends on the leadership of the current pastor, or a past pastor who made singing at Mass a priority. I've been fortunate enough to be at a couple of places where current and past pastors are/were very vocal about this. Some good formation happened along the way in these places. Singing is part of their DNA.

Cantors play their role through VISIBLE gestures that are inviting, creating a nice sense of inhalation to engage the congregation. If a hymn is new, the cantor can be more assertive. When the hymn is well-known, the cantor is instructed to back off.

Organ registrations need to vary. The opening and closings hymns are a little bit more muscular in registrations, particularly in the last verse, than a hymn at the Prep. of the Gifts, for example. I tend to use upperwork and reeds from enclosed divisions. I might use the Gt. mixture at the end of the last verse. I am not afraid to ride the box! The goal is to not create fatigue, so remember that using high-pitched mixtures in every verse will not win you many friends. I tend to like the English full-swell effect coupled to Great Foundations. That "rage in the cage" with the box shut makes for some exciting hymn singing. The sound is intense, but not overwhelming.

Creative hymn playing is also important-creative registrations, of course, but also soloing the melody, alternate harmonizations, interesting introductions, etc.

Keep the repertoire stable, too.

I come back to the pastor, though. We are a pretty middle-of-the-road suburban Midwest parish. The music program has a pretty checkered past, but has improved over the past decade-slowly, but particular success has been made in replacing much of the G&P and Gather repertoire with good, sturdy, hymnody. I have been working to greatly improve the choral situation and we have begun using propers at Mass. I have to say that the singing, overall, is very good here. We also have good cantors and the instrument is colorful and exciting. This all helps. We recently taught THAXTED, with much success. We even had someone just request it for a funeral! Anyway, my point is that the pastor was ordained in the 60's. His tastes were (and probably still are) geared to a more contemporary repertoire. He has been wonderfully supportive, though, of the changes that are taking place and is always engaged with what is going on. He also enjoys singing, which helps. His mic can be a little loud at times, but he is always thoroughly prepared, even with new hymns. Nothing is worse than a priest with a closed hymnal (or no hymnal at all) while the congregation is singing. It does not set a good example.

I wish you luck in all this. Don't get discouraged. Hang in there!
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • microphones? the cantors have microphones? no wonder the congregation doesn't sing. hymn singing is an inherently acoustic, dependent on crowd-sourced volume. your congregation is pitted against an amplified professional or vocational singer, which they recognize as a losing proposition, and an insult. turn off the mics, add more stops, maybe sit the cantor out on hymns... and make the celebrant invite the congregation to sing, every single time there is a hymn. takes guts and patience, but after a couple weeks of essentially playing hymns as organ solos, people will get the message. no one is going to sing their hymns for them, any more.
  • Liam
    The OP said that the norm there is that microphones are only used for solo singing.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In all except the acoustically deadest spaces microphones shouldn't be used at all - ever.
  • canadashcanadash
    I truly believe that until we start singing with children in schools or at home, congregational singing will be poor. Singing is not "normal" for people, so they don't do it.
  • redsox1
    I agree with candash. And what singing is taking place-it's all "American Idol" belting!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    My two cents.

At my parish, I've noticed (and people have been commenting) that "people aren't singing as much". But I got to thinking. By what standards are they "not" singing? Dialogues between priest and people? Sung fully, by almost everyone, without accompaniment. Ordinary? Again, sung by most everyone, accompanied with the organ (unless it's the Jubilate Deo Mass. In that case the Kyrie is sung well, the Gloria is OK, but a little weak, the Sanctus may or may not be sung well - more on that below, and the Agnus Dei is sung well, all unaccompanied). The "Our Father" is sung so fully that organ isn't even needed. The Alleluia and Gospel verse (or "Praise to You" in Lent) is sung about as well as the Latin Sanctus, again, accompanied. At this point we don't have a resource in the pews with the melody of the responsorial psalm available, although we're working on that, so the psalm is not typically sung.

In other words, the people are actually singing what the Church expects them to sing (according to Musicam sacram), that is, the dialogues and the Ordinary.

So, what aren't the people singing as much? The hymns. And, I believe there's a reason for this, that goes along with why the Sanctus and Gloria aren't sung well in Latin.

Several years ago, my immediate predecessor DM and the Pastor made a conscious decision to switch hymnal/pew resources to eliminate songs like "Be Not Afraid", "On Eagle's Wings", "Let There Be Peace On Earth", and the like, from the congregation's repertoire. The new hymnal doesn't have these songs in it, and we haven't sung them for several years now.

I think there's an "anthropological/liturgical" link here. Because chant and polyphony were removed and replaced with "folk music" in the 70's, the older generation either stopped singing altogether, or were just young enough to join in the "folk" or "guitar" groups and learn to sing these "Peter, Paul and Mary"-styled songs, which were then taught to the next generation. The younger generation jettisoned the "folk" style and started singing the stuff I mentioned earlier and the older folk stopped singing, and the younger generation were raised on this stuff. Now that generation has stopped singing as well, and the current young generation has no model to pattern their participation from, which is also why some of the Latin settings of the Ordinary aren't sung well - not enough exposure.

The one time I notice the singing is truly amazing is when we do hymns at devotional services, especially May Procession and Forty Hours devotions. These old devotional hymns are sung to rattle the rafters, and every generation seems to join in.

So, the problem is not hymn singing per se, or anything you may or may not be doing. However, I think there is great logic in the idea of going back to what Musicam sacram instructed - people sing the dialogues, Ordinary and responsorial psalm, priest (or deacon) sings the Proper texts assigned to him, cantor/schola chants the processional Propers. Everyone participating in the Mass according to their role in the liturgy. THAT's what the council Fathers meant when they said they envisioned the Mass as always sung . . . not everyone singing everything (or just anything) all the time, just for the sake of singing.
  • rich_enough
    On one level the issue of people not singing is akin to them not even speaking their responses, at least in an audible voice. People certainly know what to say and when to say it - the problem is not ignorance or inability - they seem simply not to bother. I don't know the solution to this.

But David Andrew makes a very good point. People sense that hymns are not really part of the mass, that they are put in there to have them "participate." But how does making people sing non-liturgical songs make them participants in the liturgy?

The fact is that (with some rare exceptions) the Roman liturgy is not built for strophic hymns. Yes, you can adjust things so that hymns fit better into the structure, or improve the way the hymns are played to make it easier and more inviting for people to sing them, but these are band-aids to a deeper issue: hymns are inherently foreign objects in the mass. The people in the pews may not be consciously aware of this, but I believe they sense at some level that they are being asked to put a round peg in a square hole and it simply doesn't work.

I have noticed that one thing the people DID sing in the otherwise non-singing parish where I used to play, was the Our Father. People understood that this was part of the mass, not an add-on put in to fill in the time. This and David Andrew's comment about devotional services, indicates that people will sing if the singing is truly part of what going on, not a filler.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen jward tomjaw
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    "They seem simply not to bother."

Indeed, and this apathy and inertia is deadly for the church. Our culture and society in general has reduced everything to a spectator activity. Prayers and responses at Mass require engagement, that is, for there to be full and active participation, there must be a conscious assent to enter into the prayer. This is why the documents state clearly, over and over again, that interior participation (or perhaps a better term would be interior disposition) is equally important as exterior participation. If one does not take seriously the need to be properly disposed to participate in the Mass (and indeed to receive the Blessed Sacrament), then one will not likely take the externals seriously either.

Unfortunately, and I'm sure some might bristle at this notion, I do think that there is an element of the priest's ars celebrandi (not personality) that comes into play here. If a priest behaves as if he doesn't care whether or not people participate (properly, and according to their role in the liturgy, i.e., the dialogues, responses and Ordinary texts), then the people will not likely do so. On the other hand, if the priest's ars celebrandi is reverent and fully "engaged", the people will sense this and be driven by a desire to join their prayers to his in the action of Christ's sacrifice on the altar.

Ain't it funny (he said with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) that the fruits of the reform, as manifest at the hands of the progressives, have had the opposite effect. They've made the priest more like the people, rather than the priest more like a priest, and the people more like an audience with the Mass a vehicle of entertainment rather than an action of Christ through His Church. Time was when the Mass happened whether or not you were there. Now, every Mass is viewed as an "occasion" when the people "define" who they are, and redefine who God is in the process.
  • Claire H
    Some very true points, David Andrew!
  • A lot of great suggestions already listed. One thing I'd like to say overall is that nobody should force Catholics to sing. While it's a great thing for them to do, some people grow holier by listening and not singing. At my 8:00am Mass, all of the people sing, and I don't even need a cantor. At my 9:30am Mass, however, you practically have to open their hymnals for them in order to get them to sing anything. This is fine. Instead of singing hymns, chant the propers (without the people)! Also, keep your hymn selection limited. Even if it means singing Grosser Gott a couple times a month, if you keep playing the same hymns, eventually, people will gain familiarity with them, and might just chime in.

Also, as other have already, I also would really encourage you not to decrease the organ volume for hymnody. The kinds of hymns we use nowadays come from Protestant traditions, where the organ was the leader and thus, if we are going to do hymnody, we need to do it right. The organ must be loud enough to give the people the confidence to sing. When the organ is soft, people wont sing. Of course, American Catholics typically are going to complain about the organ being too loud, but this is because they are used to 40 years of piano and acoustic guitar, and, in general, lack taste. What I've been doing at my parish is giving little talks about music in the liturgy. This has, at least, appeased many of the parishioners. It's going to take some getting used to, but I believe that (protestant) hymn-singing, and sufficient organ support, are inseparable.
    Thanked by 1jward
  • jward
    For the past few years I had the honor of serving as Director of Music at SJB and know it intimately well. David Andrew's last two posts are EXACTLY in line with the philosophy to which I adhered. You're me hero! This particular CATHEDRAL parish after very slow and intentional work was beautifully poised to execute liturgy that sincerely sought to adhere vision of Musicam Sacram; which admittedly and unapologetically did not seek to highlight a great deal of congregational "hymn" singing- but rather the elements that MS calls forth as priority.
    If the new goal for the parish is now more hymn singing in liturgy, the initial frustration with the people's participation likely represents their tangible reaction to a shift in approach. At a practical level, it will likely take a good bit of time for the people to adjust back towards understanding/embracing what may now be "expected" of them.

I resonate fully and appreciate J.O.'s latest post (see below) which describes a model and some very practical steps for what could be very successful in most any American parish.

http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2012/may/20/easy-steps-improve-your-parish-music-program/

Yes, there are Catholic parishes both in America and abroad that absolutley BOOM when they sing hymns AT Mass!!! But is a booming congregational hymn definitively a mark of our most "authentic" Catholic liturgical celebrations? Are we going to work to "Sing the Mass" or are we going to be content let another generation merely "Sing AT Mass???"

Look forward to seeing you all in SLC!!!
  • SJBCmusic
    There is no goal for more hymn singing in the liturgy here. The goal is for better hymn singing—that is, for the congregation at least to make an effort to participate in what's happening. Most people aren't picking up their hymnals when it's time to sing, despite having printed programs, hymn boards, and announcements. When they've been accustomed to listening to an amplified cantor, it's no wonder.

Why add prelude and recessional hymns, as Mr. Ostrowski suggests, when people aren't even singing the hymn after Communion, which is expressly mentioned in the GIRM? I notice that his suggestions assume the presence of a choir, but most of us don't have the resources to have even a small schola at all weekend Masses. But we do have a congregation at all Masses. Why not make use of them? As far as I can tell, "option 4" (another suitable liturgical chant) is always a legitimate option.

I know I'm decidedly in the minority in this forum, but I don't see what's wrong with singing a variety of theologically and musically solid hymns rather than simple psalm-tone propers. Is a psalm-tone proper in the vernacular sung by an amplified soloist (and the cantor absolutely must be amplified to be understood in our church) a mark of "'authentic' Catholic liturgical celebration"? Until I have a schola at all Masses with music, I'll take congregational singing, thank you.

So, to get back to my initial post and request: What can I as a music director and organist do to get people to open their hymnals and actually make an effort to sing three hymns each week? I'm thinking an electronic hymn board may be the next step for us here.
    Thanked by 2Gavin ContraBombarde
  • GavinGavin
    "What can I as a music director and organist do to get people to open their hymnals and actually make an effort to sing three hymns each week?"

Find out what the problem is and attack it. Do they not know to sing? Do they want to listen to a cantor? Is your congregation too old? Is the problem self-confidence? It's your community; it's your job to be in touch with the culture.

Let me offer a few relevant beliefs I have regarding congregational singing. You may listen to or disregard them as you please:

- Singing in any posture except standing should be avoided if possible

- It's ok to back off to fewer hymns - which you've done. It may even be worth considering if you want to change one of your Masses to just one or two hymns

- However, I must admit I'm worried about the practice of a regular Introit during the procession. Think about it this way: your congregation is used to singing a hymn at the beginning, standing. Then you ask them to remain silent and listen to a soloist during this period. The next times they sing are at the Psalm and the Gospel. Then they're silent until the Offertory. They have sat there for perhaps a half-hour singing at most one sentence. How much singing do you expect after that? (not that I oppose in any way the Introit, but I think a hymn at the beginning of Mass, one way or another, is just practically a good idea)

- I know it's annoyingly limiting, but consider whether, at some Masses, at some points of the Mass, you might restrict the hymn selection to that which they sing better.

- Most importantly, hymns should not be sung during the Communion procession. I propose this as a RULE. If I have a congregation sing at Communion, it is always something repetitive. For example, a Taize chant or a psalm. The point is, something they can memorize and join in at any time. People CAN NOT SING during Communion, as half (or more) of your church does not have ACCESS to a hymnal at that time!

If I had total control of the music at a non-choral Mass, I might program a hymn before Mass, a hymn at Offertory OR post-communion, and a hymn after Mass ("Closing hymn"). Three hymns, but that may make it easier for the people to sing.

Let me again stress my support for the work you have done, SJBC. I think we all know how stressful it is to begin playing and hear crickets down below. I would encourage you to explicitly exhort the congregation to song, and to get involved in the culture, if you aren't already, and find out what the situation is "on the ground".
    Thanked by 1jward
  • SJBCmusic
    Thanks, Gavin. A few things:
    -As a rule, we have only two hymns at the choir Mass.
    -We use Richard Rice's entrance antiphons, which are repeated by the congregation, so it's not a cantor solo the whole time. I would rather use the Tietze hymn introits, but the antiphons are what the pastor wants.
    -The congregation sings the Gloria, even at the choir Mass, so there is one part of the Mass with substantial singing before the offertory.
    -Usually, at least two stanzas have been sung before the congregation starts going to Communion. (Plus there's no rule against carrying your hymnal in the Communion procession, especially if you're going to receive on the tongue.)
    -We don't do closing hymns. People start leaving and talking as soon as the priest is out the door, so it's really pointless here to attempt singing.

We had a prominent notice on the front of the Mass program last week, and announcements have been incorporated into the homily last weekend and this weekend, by two different priest. I have reduced my organ registrations. I'm programming familiar hymns ("Come, Holy Ghost" and "Be Joyful Mary" were two of them today). No improvement. What else to do? Not start playing and re-announce the hymns until I see people holding their books open? They're certainly not singing four stanzas by heart!
  • CharlesW
    My predecessor operated on the principal that hymns have to reflect the readings of the day. Consequently, the hymns changed so often, very few people actually learned any of them. I chose 15 of the best known traditional hymns, and used them exclusively for one year. When I introduce a new hymn, I play it for a couple of months, then have the choir and cantors sing it a few times. After 3 or 4 months, I let the congregation sing what has become something they have heard before. They are now singing more and better than they did when I took the job.

I cut the hymns from 4 to 3 at the larger masses, and down to 2 at the lightly attended masses. The offertory hymns disappeared at all the masses, and no communion hymns were sung at the smaller masses. At the most heavily attended mass, the communion proper is sung, then I play until the choir has received communion. A hymn is sung afterwards. The pattern is repeated at the masses which only have a cantor.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    >"...reduced my organ registrations."

This rarely fails to result in a pianissimo contest. My somewhat paradoxical experience is that when I wish to hear the congregation better in balance with the organ I had better pull more stops. Even with a good choir in front, the people in the back pews don't want to feel too naked and will sing out only when there's a healthy amount of sound to blend in with; once there's a critical mass of their neighbors singing ("Where you there", anyone?) it's safe to back off.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Don't measure your success as a music director by the apparent participation of the laity. You can't control them;why would you want to? Measure your success, if you must, by how well your music objectively worships God, and how objectively suitable it is for the Sacrifice of the Mass.

> "As a rule, we use ... hymns at the offertory, Communion, and postcommunion (hymn of praise)."

In utter seriousness and accepting correction: What a terrible rule. Is it ontologically possible to prepare oneself for communion, or to make an appropriate thanksgiving, when expected to sing hymns?
    Thanked by 2jward irishtenor
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    > "We don't do closing hymns. People start leaving and talking as soon as the priest is out the door, so it's really pointless here to attempt singing."

Oy ... there are far more serious issues here than liturgical music.

> "I really wonder if we are not giving people enough credit. And I also think a lot of musicians tend to make a 'Catholic' hymn singing issue out of what is, in reality, an 'American Catholic' issue. I have been to Masses in a number of Catholic churches overseas where the congregational singing was very enthusiastic."

There's this little book, maybe you've heard of it. Forget the title, but it's about why Catholics can't sing.
    Thanked by 1jward
  • GavinGavin
    "Is it ontologically possible to prepare oneself for communion, or to make an appropriate thanksgiving, when expected to sing hymns?"

Yes: by singing the hymn.
  • GavinGavin
    SJBC, you're clearly on to some good practices. Kudos for starting the Communion hymn early and asking the congregation to join in the Introit!

I recently watched a documentary on public relations, so that's where my mind has been the past few weeks. I'd suggest some good ol' market research on it. Talk to people; be blunt: why do you not sing? There are different reasons for every parish. It occurs to me now, if you have a sub or an assistant, take a Sunday off and go sit out in the congregation. Observe people throughout the Mass. Talk to people. If someone isn't singing, hand them a hymnal and smile - how do they react?

Ask yourself, what moments are best and worst? At which Masses? You've done a bit of that, recognizing the Gloria as well-received. What is different about that than, say, the Sanctus?

I don't want to do a point-by-point, but two things strike me about the closing hymn (of which I am a strong proponent) :

- You say you don't program it because people leave or talk and don't sing. Yet people don't sing during the Communion hymn (and possibly leave during it too!), so why the insistence on that and not on a closing hymn?

- If you have your priest's support, an excellent (and better) practice is for the altar party to begin to process, and then stand "in formation" before the altar until the last verse of the hymn begins. Only then will they process out, singing the final verse.

I don't know that anything will be solved by violating principles of decorum, though I personally wait about 5 seconds before beginning any hymn, to give the elderly extra time to open hymnals. I suppose it could be of benefit for people here to see what sort of announcement you gave.

This kind of thing just really has my sympathy. I'm not sure of any worse feeling than starting a hymn and having nothing happen.