What are some fun things to sing for Corpus Christi?
  • Kathy
    Procession chants beyond the ordinary? Out-of-the-way motets?
  • Charles in CenCA
    I am working on a 41 voice motet (a prime number, btw) wherein all the "meal" allusions align to a larger cosmology, "Spam 'n' aliens," that is, uh, fun, and quite a bit "out of the way."
    I likely won't finish it before the feast, tho'. So, yet another year of my ol' faithful, "Theme and Variations on 'Sons of God...'" sigh....
  • Victoria - Genitori genitoque
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • James Biery's "O Sacrum Convivium" is quite interesting and fun to sing and yet is not inappropriate. Take a look at it.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Mark P.
  • Mark P.
    Maybe these are old hat but I like them:
    Saint-Saens' Panis angelicus and four-part Ave Verum (not the arrangement in the St. Gregory Hymnal).
    Faure's Tantum ergo for Soprano or Tenor soloist and four-part choir (see http://www0.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Tantum_ergo_(Gabriel_Faur%C3%A9))
    Sydney Nicholson's O salutaris and Tantum ergo
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Are we talking procession chants ... or motets ... or what?
  • Kathy
    Both.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Oh, so we are!

How about my own Ave verum corpus (MP3 soundfile)?

Or the Josquin Ave verum corpus, a 5 (MP3 soundfile)?

If you want something a little more far-out, take a look at my Tantum ergo. One can just do the Genitori genitoque verse, too.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Charles, may I have a copy of Spam 'n' aliens when you've completed it?

>;-)
  • Kathy
    Also, does it feature the theremin?
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Charles in CenCA
    Kathy, you are clairvoyant beyond Fr. McDonald in Macon!
    Not just any theremin, but the one used in the 45 hit single "TellStar"! Rumor has it that Roddenbury used the same one for Star Trek.
    However, the theremin won't be the monkey wrench, finding lumberjacks that can sing in microtones, that's a problem!
    Spam spam spam spam in unison is tedium.
    Still want me to show in SLC?
    PS-sure, you'll get the first draft!
  • Kathy
    Yes. I want you to show in SLC, wingnut. Wingman.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Tried calling, # not working. Call moi
  • Kathy
    Bueno. Manana.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos wrote a short piece in four parts to honor the Brazilian national dish Feijoada which he had been served at the Brazilian consul general's home in New York, prepared by Noemia Faris. The work has four movements, entitled "Farina", "Meat", "Rice", and "Black Beans".

Amazingly enough, his student Sobol Eroith-Valil, discovered a fifth movement amongst his teacher's personal effects, clearly intended as a kind of prelude, or hors d'ouvre and grace before the meal, entitled "Pate Nosher" - scored for sopranshee, altoidist, counter-tremor, barrister, and boffo profuso.

While on leave in Chicago a number of years ago, the sister of this student gave me a copy of this work, which I've never found the heart - or stomach - to publish.