Looking for a Polyphonic Mass Setting with Congregational Part
  • I have been entrusted with planning the music for a friends Ordination and I'm looking for a polyphonic Mass setting that has a part that could be singable by the congregation. I found Kevin Allen's "Missa Paenitentialis" which would be absolutely perfect but it seems there's only a Kyrie to that Mass.
  • canadashcanadash
    I can't help you... but I agree, Missa Paenitentialis is stunning! I will be following your post carefully.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Do you want it to be in Latin or English?
  • Latin preferred, but beauty with sing-ability is the main thing.
  • fernandogilfernandogil
    You should take a look for Bartolucci's Missa de Angelis (it's based on Missa VIII) and it has parts for congregation! :D
    Thanked by 1SpeakNSpirit
  • Charles in CenCA
    If you're looking for the Bartolucci, it's likely in the round file.
  • Marc Cerisier
    Jan Janca's setting of the mass of angels is fantastic--organ with choir and congregation alternating.

In hymns psalms and spiritual canticles there is a congregation part for the Langlais messe solennelle.
  • TKIRN1
    You could try a good English setting by Dr. Horst Buchholz. His setting the Mass of St. Francis is fairly easy for a congregation to learn.

We use the Gloria a lot at the Cathedral in St. Louis.

http://www.ignatius.com/promotions/adoremus-hymnal/downloadable-mp3s.htm

The Gloria contains polyphony for the choir, but retains a good portion for unison singing.
  • Bartolucci's setting look absolutely magnificient! It is so beautiful! The Missa Pro Editione Tertia is also very beautiful and the congregation would already know their part. Not to mention the Mass of St. Francis Cabrini. I will propose all of these to the good deacon.

What about hymns? Any suggestion for Ordination Hymns?
  • FrSteve
    Also the Refice's "Missa Choralis". I think it is still published by Ricordi