"Farewell" in Spanish
  • Kathy
    What is the translation for the "Farewell" rite? Making a program...
  • What rite are you referring to? The solemn easter dismissal?
  • benedictgal
    The solemn Easter dismissal makes a comeback on Pentecost. Kathy, is this for a funeral Mass?
  • Kathy
    Hi, sorry, I was vague. I meant the funeral Mass, at the end, during the incensation. I was told that the translation is "el responso." Does that sound right?
  • during the incensation is when you would normally sing some form of "Saints of God come to his/her aid, hasten to meet him/her" etc... In Spanish, there are very few accurate resources for this part. Flor y Canto has a few, but aren't really liturgically correct. They do have a book called Luz Perpetua, which if I am not mistaken, may have a couple that are right on the money, or just close enough.

Are you just looking for what you would say in Spanish, for an order of service for the mass?
  • during the incensation is when you would normally sing some form of "Saints of God come to his/her aid, hasten to meet him/her" etc... In Spanish, there are very few accurate resources for this part. Flor y Canto has a few, but aren't really liturgically correct. They do have a book called Luz Perpetua, which if I am not mistaken, may have a couple that are right on the money, or just close enough.

Are you just looking for what you would say in Spanish, for an order of service for the mass?
  • Kathy
    Yes, I was looking for what it should be called in the program.

I chose Peter Rubalcava's Concedeles from the Flor y Canto. It's not the ritual text, unfortunately, but it seems like a decent choice.
  • you could call it the Canto de Despedida, it is the song of farewell.
  • Kathy
    Yes, I suggested that to the religious brother I was working with, but he said no, it's called the Responso.
  • Hmmm, Responso is really prayers for the dead. The actual liturgical action taking place at that moment, is the Act of Farewell. Which would entail the Canto or Cancion de Despedida..... That would be a better term because you say Agnus Dei (Lamb of God), Sanctus,,,, etc... when you put them on a program. Therefore it only makes sense to have Cancion or Canto de Despedida, because it is in equality with the rest of the program. Otherwise you might as well include Opening prayer, greetings, and every other thing....

So if your program is to have Entrance Antiphon, Responsorial Psalm, Gospel Acclamation, Sanctus, etc... it would only make sense to refer to that part of the mass in the sense of a musical order of service....

Nonetheless, put what he says.... probably wouldn't be good to show him up.
  • I just checked with my wife, who is also hispanic, and is a musician as well, and neither of us have ever heard of putting Responso on a program. I have heard the term, but it isn't correct. At least not where she and I, are from.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Marc Cerisier
    I'm not at work to look at the ritual book (btw, I love litpress's one with English and spanish on facing pages), but I know we put Canto de Despedida in the program for Spanish funerals.
    Thanked by 1Kathy