Giving a Congregation Neumes?
  • BenBen
    I cantor every Friday morning at my parish (read: A small group of regulars, not a normal Sunday Mass), and I've been printing the antiphons for the propers (my SEP-based ferial propers) in neumes for the congregation, at the pastor's request, so they can join on the second and subsequent repitions, or at least have the text in front of them. Then for the ordinary, they would use the hymnal, which contains the missal chants in modern notation. They'd use the hymnal for the sanctus, mysterium fidei, agnus dei, and other small dialogs, such as the Domine non sum dignus.

What's your opinion of putting all the music in a worship aid (in neumes), and using that as an in-road for neumes? Since they already mostly know the music, they'll be singing something they already know looking at the neumes that they haven't seen yet (if that makes any sense).

Any comments on this approach of introducing congregations to neumes? Do keep in mind that the pastor comes from a background such that he actually prefers neumes for singing the Mass, so I don't have to worry about him getting up in arms about it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    I'm not a professional but IMO if you have such an opportunity go for it. Once I got the hang of reading neumes I found it easier to follow than modern notation.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    For that kind of crowd, the neumes will probably be OK.

To step back to the more general question, for congregations in general: It can be more of a problem for the musically literate than the musically illiterate. You have to know your congregation. Music literacy (by which I do not include familiarity with the neume system, but the modern notation system) was once promoted more vigorously in our public education system, especially in the postwar era, but has music literacy appears to have declined. (But it's not gone, and congregations (at least for certain Masses) are often dominated by older folks who are of a more musically literate generation, shall we say.) By the same token, I don't think congregations particularly benefit from the neumes, in the sense that even fewer congregants can decipher anything other than the rising or falling pattern of notes and perhaps the episemas. Consequently, I prefer modern notation for congregations. But neumes would be way better than nothing. Also, if you are in a place where you tend to get non-Catholic visitors (also tends to happen at ritual Masses like weddings and funerals) and "seekers", modern notation is much more hospitable. That said, I think there is great value in introducing the young to neumes; they are more likely to be open to new tricks, as it were.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka jpal
  • Do progress with your plan. What a wonderful didactic opportunity: having your people read the square notes to music they already know. I hope you proceed as planned. I have had some people tell me that they couldn't make sense of square notes. I have had more people tell me that they were easier to read than modern notes. So, it's a question of by whom are you going to be influenced. We all know that whiners make more noise, and too much of the time get their way even if they are a pitiful few in comparative numbers. And, what a godsend that your pastor is actively favourable.
  • BenBen
    One of the main reasons I'm hoping to get them on neumes is because it's massively easier for me to engrave documents with neumes!

And the pastor? He actually asks me to give him music in neumes! It's pretty awesome.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Even in very modern parishes, I always give neumes to the congregation when I give them chant. It sends the message that this is different and shouldn't sound like music written in modern notation.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Jenny IanW
  • My vote is yes. If any crowd is "ready", a group of daily communicants would be a good pick.
    Do give an update on this thread in a month or so if you are able.
  • When we first hosted our brand new bishop at the Rite of Election this last Lent, we used SEP full on with congregants from all over our two county deanery. Nary a complaint, full engaged congregation joining antiphon (in SQUARE NOTES) and all's well. We've done other similar mixed notation ordos with equal dexterity and no cognitive dissonance voiced.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Neumes just look cool!
  • CharlesW
    I don't have any choice, since the pastor will not allow the congregation to be given neumes. That's fine with me, since I can work with either neumes or modern notation. I'm not against neumes, but I am not fascinated with them, either. I know some wax nearly poetic about neumes. But they are just ink blots on a page conveying information, nothing more. As for the OF congregation, many have had years of school music training in modern notation. I am not sure they are comfortable with neumes, and I find no good reasons why they need to be. That notation is likely more relevant to our EF congregation, since they use much more chant.
  • Yup- neumes, like modern notation- are just dots on a page. But they are more specific to chant, and are able to convey more nuance.
    There's nothing magical about neumes. But there's nothing laudable about remaining ignorant of them, either.
    I like to read from the earlier notation, that seemed more wedded to melodic direction. Sometimes the square notes are... too... blocky IMO; they interfere with legato. And then the same could be said for many people looking at an endless succession of eighth notes with flags. Mind-numbing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I am not overly attached to notes on a page, whether square or round. It seems to me that any notation system, in the hands of a competent musician, can produce great results.
  • Mary Carr Wilson is spot on with the matter of nuance; and with the idiocy of a page full of eighth notes. Square notes are certainly more that spots of ink on the page: they convey far more information than spots of ink. And more, as well, than eighth notes or stemless note heads... at least to anyone who knows chant and cares.
  • Andrew Motyka
    Liam said:

To step back to the more general question, for congregations in general: It can be more of a problem for the musically literate than the musically illiterate.

This! I have taught several choirs, most of them musical amateurs, to chant from scratch, and they almost universally agree that neumes are much more intuitive than modern notation.

"Oh, you sing the lower one, then the upper one? That makes so much more sense!"
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Charles in CenCA
    MACW/Jackson are absolutely right, and as I've recounted I have the empirical proof-
    1. It took my primary choir one Sunday's unscheduled use of SEP to get "the basics."
    2. One soon then intuits the phraseology of the texts much easier for clear elocution, in other words, the emphasis of the text flows more naturally. And since comprehension is as necessary as the "art" in the delivery, well um so besser!
    3. In the larger group, chironomy with basic neumes as in the SEP can be used sparingly. With smaller groups, duet to quartet, chironomy isn't needed at all. Some of our very observant "ensemble" musicians and singers have remarked with wonder at how we manage to sing with such precision without even necessarily looking at me, or at each other as we simply move through the antiphons.
    4. Down the road, these basics (punctums, podatus, tristopha) will enable the transition to using the full "arsenal" much easier, while yet still affirming the beauty and intelligibility of the "whole."
    And a PS- our organist has perfect pitch, now the use of "do" and "fa" and modes has eliminated any cognitive dissonance of transposition; he loves it!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    A serious note to follow up on my "neumes just look cool" comment: As JT has said before, there's something about the sheer differentness of neumes that imparts the message, 'hey, this is different than anything I'd see in the secular world.'

Mass isn't the time to teach people to read music, neumes or otherwise. Some would refuse to learn anyway, others would be eager to learn; most would be somewhere in between. Many could learn just through repeated exposure. In any case, I don't think it'd take much more than a brief, even off-hand remark from a priest or other authority figure to positively change the general perception of neumes and of sacred music in general… something like, 'this chant notation is really easy to learn, and it conveys such a beautiful and important part of our faith; I'm so glad our music director has provided us with this.'
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Marc Cerisier
    I started by putting the Snow Our Father in the liturgy program so it could be a bridge to more 4-line notation.
  • BenBen
    Great discussion! I'm following it eagerly! Keep it up!

And don't forget the one most important advantage of neumes over MN: they almost always take up less space on the page. That means using neumes means YOU'RE GOING GREEN!!!

That alone should get the liberals on board.
  • CharlesW
    And where on this forum do you propose to find a liberal? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    Oh, not on this board. I mean in general. I can't think of finding any liberal on a forum that has a latin name, for pete's sake!!
  • CharlesW
    LOL
  • mahrt
    Long ago, we decided to make leaflets for each Sunday with everything the congregation needed, both proper texts and ordinary with musical notation; volunteers made them. They insisted upon using the neumes, regardless of my apprehension on the issue. This apprehension was unwarranted; they have worked well for nearly 40 years. In my view, those who do not read music can follow the contour of the melody more easily with neumes, and they do so; what the congregation is singing is the ordinary, so the reading is sustained by memory and practice of singing the same chants over more than one Sunday. Those who do read music seem to be able to make the transition on the same grounds. I have only had one person, a prospective choir member, who said that he could not read the neumes, even after several rehearsals, and he was a Juliard-trained pianist.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen perg1224
  • I dare say that Dr Mahrt's experience would apply almost anywhere.
    The only reason not to present neumes to people would be in anticipation of a few grumblers and having made up one's mind that appeasing them will take precedence over all else. Neumes make sense for chant. And, to those who don't read any music, following them is not different from making sense of any other graph.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MJO, agreed.
    I love Prof. Mahrt's story about the Juliard pianist. The biggest hurdles are faced by those who read standard notation.
    I suppose that's a silver lining of having a largely musically illiterate society in most of the US?
  • MACW - Yes, often it is that the real musicians who read music quite well are the ones who throw the greatest boulders in our way. They often shamelessly refuse to learn neumes, and would fain yet for us to regard them as complete church musicians. Of course, we all know that singers are the worst readers, anyway: most of them cannot read a score from sight without a piano or sing well without coaching.
    Bruce Ford said that he was told by all the professional choir singers he knows (quite a few!) that they couldn't and wouldn't read square notes. That is why his American Gradual is in stemless noteheads. He insists that his note head method conveys as much information as neumes. I have yet to observe an example that does.

Learning to read basic neumes is really, really easy... very simple: what are people saying about themselves or others when they say that they can't learn neumes??? I would say that that was evidence of being rather mentally challenged. Either that, or we are being played games with by some very shamelessly facetious people
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As a singer myself, I can say we are, on the whole, a rather spoiled and lazy lot. We tend to try our best to get by without too much theory, or skill drills. It's a constant embarrassment for singers who strive to be good musicians.

Then again, when singers are paid a lot less than other musicians, (thankfully this isn't my situation) they feel they are justified in not working as hard as they should. It's a bad cycle.

When parishes and cathedrals want good singing, they should invest in good singers. (Who expects virtuostic organ playing from a volunteer or underpaid organsit?) It was, after all, the skilled singers that took up chant propers and polyphony initially.

But when I say these things, I'm considered a rebel. Alas.

So as not to derail the thread more than I have...
    up with neumes!
  • Oh, and I agree about the stemless notes- they do not convey all the square notation does. Take some of the vertical nuemes, for example.
    Still, I admit I find the square notes too square, too angular to evoke legato production in most choral singers. I have to get the singers off the page as much as possible, curving everything with the breath, 'honey between the notes' etc. The visual represetation was a hurdle for me, personally, and still is if I'm not vigilant.. (Then again, I'm a coloratura, not an adagio singer so much.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Although I don't wish to take issue with som:e of the comments made, I do wish to make a couple of points.

(1) Of course, we all know that singers are the worst readers, anyway: most of them cannot read a score from sight without a piano or sing well without coaching.

One of the very worst things that one can do when teaching chant or other a cappella music is to use the piano or organ as a means of learning the music. The (usually equal) temperament of a keyboard instrument completely destroys the proper temperament of the musical lines and, for polyphony, the tuning of the musical ensemble. And reliance upon repeated hearing ones part banged out on a keyboard can greatly impede (or even prevent) the learning process necessary for singing the music correctly. In the twelve years I sang with the early music ensemble Zephyrus, the only time a keyboard was ever used was for accompaniment of Baroque and late Renaissance works that actually had accompaniments! If and when a singer had difficulty with a part in rehearsal, the director did not play the part on a keyboard instrument but had the all the singers of that part sing it again, perhaps with him singing along, after pointing out the error(s). It was a far more rapid learning process for these singers than I have experienced when learning and singing such music with other choirs and ensembles that rely on the hired accompanist to "play along" with a cappella music until the singers learn their parts and using the piano to "correct" mistakes in individual parts. Singing, particularly a cappella music, is all about listening, listening, listening – to each other, not just to a keyboard instrument – and realizing just how one fits into the ensemble, whether monophonic chant or complex polyphony.

(2) They insisted upon using the neumes, regardless of my apprehension on the issue. This apprehension was unwarranted ... I have only had one person, a prospective choir member, who said that he could not read the neumes, even after several rehearsals, and he was a Juliard-trained pianist.

The biggest hurdles are faced by those who read standard notation.

Yes, often it is that the real musicians who read music quite well are the ones who throw the greatest boulders in our way. They often shamelessly refuse to learn neumes, and would fain yet for us to regard them as complete church musicians ... [H]e was told by all the professional choir singers he knows (quite a few!) that they couldn't and wouldn't read square notes.

Learning to read basic neumes is really, really easy... very simple: what are people saying about themselves or others when they say that they can't learn neumes??? I would say that that was evidence of being rather mentally challenged. Either that, or we are being played games with by some very shamelessly facetious people

For the most part, I have to agree with MJO's last paragraph that learning to read basic neumes is quite easy. I do, however, have a problem with the oft-declared shibboleth here that trained singers, usually professional but also others without previous exposure to neumes, cannot or will not learn neumes and continually throw up their hands in dismay and make vociferous objections to them. Sure, we get anecdotes; indeed, Prof. Mahrt gaves us a total of precisely one example from his years of experience without problems, who happened to be a Juilliard trained pianist. I suspect that others making blanket pronouncements upon the expressed disdain which professional singers have about learning neumes borders on a certain amount of hyperbole. There are, indeed, professional (and other) singers who don't like or have difficulty with learning neumes, but in my experience they are way, way, way in the minority of real singers; in fact, the fraction of such singers is probably not much at variance with the fraction of untrained or non-active singers, many of whom might profess that they cannot read any sort of musical notation and only learn by rote.

The branding of trained singers with what is really just a problem with a few singers is, in my opinion, unfair. These few singers may have legitimate reasons for not wishing or being able to invest the effort to learn neumes: other overriding professional commitments, or an honorable feeling on their part that learning neumes might well entail a long-lasting and thorough study to do the matter the justice that it deserves, or some sort of genuine dislike of or inability to appreciate chant accompanying a complete lack of desire to sing chant (for whatever reason, not unlike those in the congregations who simply will not sing anything for a host of reasons). A singer in a professional or semi-professional chorus, when presented with neumes and told that this is something they must sing, will either learn them (with or without grumbling) in almost every instance; and, if not, then they will leave the group (or be dismissed).

If you want another anecdote, here is one from the other side. In my dozen seasons with Zephyrus, from the very first concert in which the off verses of Palestrina's "A solis ortus cardine" were sung in square notation from the Liber, on through many other instances of having to sing chant from neumes (rather than standard notation or stemless round notes), there was never a single complaint from any singer. We simply did our work and rejoiced that we could make beautiful music. Although the group never exceeded 18 singers at any time, this represents a total in excess of 40 different singers. The director was initially using a notation program that could not do stemless notes. And when that program (written by the singer whom I replaced) was no longer supported, he switched to Finale (which I had begun using, too), and sometimes used stemless round notes (the Finale early music notation plug-in was way too quirky to be of use), although we both lamented it when we did. However, more often than not, we would sing from neumes. Additionally, with my short stints as choir director in both Catholic and Episcopal churches, I never had problems with having singers learn basic neumes.

By all means, use square notation and neumes! But do it without adverse commentary or apology. And, please! please do not denigrate trained and professional singers as a class, by highlighing the point that there are a some who have problems with neumes. Such an attitude does nothing but foment discord where, instead, there should be harmony (or unison). We are a family, a confraternity of church musicians, of one sort or another, but a family nonetheless. It's better, if you need to, to bite your tongue and say nothing. I apologize to any who might think I should have continued to bite my own tongue and say nothing on this issue, but I have far too many dear friends whom I treasure in both camps (professional and non-professional) to say nothing.

• IanWIanW
    We put together a "Sing the Mass" booklet with dialogues, ordinary and chant hymns for our once-a-month chant mass. Version 0.1 had hybrid notation: stemless note-heads on 5 line staves, plus clefs and key signatures. When version 0.2 was produced to go with the new translation (the dialogues are provided in Latin & English and non-singing translations are given for the ordinary), we decided to convert to neumes, because the hybrid notation - oddly - seemed more difficult to sing from and we felt those in the congregation who could read music would soon get the hang of it, with the help of the Schola, their own knowledge of the melodies and the similarities between the two notations. Thus far, I can say that it hasn't gone badly: no-one has complained and congregational participation hasn't suffered. The Schola, on the other hand, are much happier with the neumes.
  • ryandryand
    I've worked exclusively with neumes at my school job (K-8) and with another congregation where I work on Sundays.

Both children and adults are easily able to read them (ordinaries from MR3 and propers from SEP), and have said that its easier to follow - especially, as someone else noted, on some of the vertical neumes.

How much easier is it to see that a single syllable gets two notes than to have two notes directly above that syllable?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • StDenisStDenis
    The square notes are part of the patrimony of the Church. It would behoove any Catholic, let alone any musician to be exposed to them and to learn how to sing them. For all the problems they might cause with effecting legato technique in performance (and I agree), etc., I think they are superior to modern notation in conveying the ethos of Gregorian chant.

And most congregations sing based on their familiarity with the melodies anyway, rather than any sort of sheet music. I mean, ideally we wouldn't even need music at all. It should really be there more as memory aid. The old neumes served that sort of function. Written music cannot get in the way of performance and pray when it isn't there in the first place!
  • CharlesW
    Neumes definitely have a legitimate use. Unfortunately, some would imbue them with near divinity. Some anachronistic individuals do appear to have an unrealistic attachment to them. I fully expect one day, for some nut case to proudly post that he has set the Beethoven 9th to neumes - PDF attached. Neumes are a system of notation, nothing more. They work for chant and appear relatively useless for much else.

I am in agreement, StDenis, that most congregations do sing based on familiarity and don't need music after an initial learning period.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ryandryand
    In the stream-of-thought that StDenis put forth, let us remember that cantors were taught orally for many centuries before formalized notation even existed.

It can (should?) happen the same with the congregation at any given parish.
  • Liam
    Yes, but that happened in a culture of orality rather than literacy. People in our culture would have a hard time remembering a Homeric epic by heart the way people in oral cultures would. The advent of literacy and the expectations created by it re-wires the brain, in point of fact. So, even with people who are musically illiterate, if they are otherwise literate, you are not dealing with the same capabilities in large as would be the a case in a truly oral culture.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    Only a few people could memorize an Homeric epic by oral tradition alone. You make it sound like the entire culture would know an epic by these means.

Perhaps if they heard the same epic once a week, it would be possible - but then, an Homeric epic is quite longer than even our lengthiest Gloria chants.

If, "in point of fact," literacy has restricted our ability to learn and memorize music by aural means, would you be so kind as to provide a source for your "point of fact?" I'd be very interested in reading a scientific study that remotely proves that people can no longer memorize a short plainsong tune simply because they are able to read a book! I'd be similarly interested in any studies about how many pre-literate cultures could memorize the Odyssey by oral teaching.

I know that many people area able to memorize their shorter prayers in the mass by oral/aural means and weekly repetition. "And also with you" notwithstanding, the ability to read text seems hardly an issue with being able to memorize a paragraph or two over the course of a few months. The addition of a musical setting, "as a point of fact," actually aides in memorization.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Regarding "oral teaching", I'd like to see some understanding here that the congregation is not a homogeneous body - it rarely is. You often have visitors, neophytes, or even an ad hoc congregation altogether. To give a congregation "just the words" and make them memorize a melody they hear once every 168 hours is an offense against good hospitality for the regular attendee, let alone the newcomer who will not have had the benefit of being educated in these melodies.

At the VERY least, I always make an effort, when a hymn board is available, to clearly mark the Mass ordinary numbers on the hymn board. Preferable is to the put the music notation - whatever you want it to be - in their hands.

Just this weekend, my sister (not a musician) told me how she stands mute at her church because they use only a screen with lyrics on it. Giving only the words says, "we don't care whether you sing or not." Message received.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    So, back on topic: give neumes, give modern notation, give organ tabulature or partbooks - just give SOMETHING!
    Thanked by 3ryand CHGiffen IanW
  • DougS
    A friend of mine posted on my Facebook today that when she visited Trinité in Paris not too long ago (this was, of course, Messiaen's parish), they passed out a sheet with neumes on it and everyone sang, including the children. Go figure!
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen IanW