Do the Hokey Pokey...
  • benedictgal
    However, it would actually be appropriate to sing this in Ireland, since they did lose a priest onboard the Titanic. I believe that his parish has a stain glass window in his memory. Just saying...
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Maureen
    A lot of places in America lost people on the Titanic, too, and a lot of Titanic survivors died not long ago. There are places in Europe that are still having requiem Masses or thanksgiving-for-surviving Masses every year, for disasters that happened hundreds or even more than a thousand years ago! Moreover, a good many priests gave Titanic sermons on Sunday, because the readings on Sunday back then were the same as the readings on Sunday today.

So yeah, I think angsting about Titanic memorials is silly, that the memorials themselves are appropriate if done with taste, and that there's absolutely no problem with a memento mori at Eastertide, especially given the huge number of martyrdoms that occurred during these times among the early Christians.

Nothing like harvesting a crop of newly baptized Christians as soon as they're reborn, as far as most persecutors are concerned. Everybody's together in one place more, so it's convenient; and since it's convenient for them, we should always be ready for it ourselves.
  • expeditus1
    "... we should always be ready for it ourselves."
    Maureen, that comment gave me pause to think. Conclaves, synods, and ad limina visits also present opportunity.
  • (Reprint of combox posted elsewhere)
    I rather think there’s a clear exhortation in that question calling repertoire “deciders” to due diligence that we expect of our priests as both celebrants and homilists. As should be preferred, celebrants observe the axiom to “do the red and say the black” from the liturgical books, but then utilize their own charisms within the context of delivering their homilies. Shouldn’t we musicians also share in that discipline? Yesterday’s circumstances serve as a perfect example. One can chant “Quasimodo” or a vernacular version of it (“As newborn babes long for spiritual milk…SEP/Bartlett) only to function properly (!) as the Introit.(This is added in response to Joy's comment- how can one not make the connection both to the mystigogical affect of the Resurrection upon believers being made "newborn babes" along with the "First born of the dead" along with the contemporaneous resonance with the initiation of the elect and converts into full communion as "newborns" or neophytes?)

http://causafinitaest.blogspot.com/2012/04/quasimodo-sunday.html#comment-form

But how can a director ignore the impetus to program “Ye sons and daughters”? (“Well,” some might say, “you can’t sing nine verses as an Entrance!”) True enough. But why not consider chanting the Proper and then chanting the first three verses of “O filii…” to satisfy both concerns, and then return to the chant hymn for both the gospel acclamation (vs.8) and as the Offertory beginning at vs.4? What other day in the whole year are we provided this opportunity?
    Then moving to the next processional, what other day serves so well to couch “Adoro te devote” as an option four at the Communio? Sure, one could claim this metric chant is specifically reserved for devotion, not as a liturgical accompaniment. But, if one prefaces singing “Adoro te…” with the Proper “Mitte manum…” (Stretch forth your hands and feel the place where the nails were….SEP/Bartlett), I believe, no pun intended, that you are musically recreating that very moment when Christ compelled Thomas to that act, at which he then exclaims the most personal devotion: “My Lord and My God.”
    And then, imagine concluding with M.D. Ridge’s brilliant “Three Days” to THAXTED with its recollections of the disciples’ waiting in fear! . But if such discipline isn’t applied, then the question of one's due diligence goes from an exhortation to an indictment perhaps.
    That's why I had not a little difficulty with the mere mention of commemorating the centenary sinking of an ocean liner on a Sunday rife with sacred music options. And to think, we didn't hardly mention Divine Mercy....egads, the mind reels.
  • marajoymarajoy
    CCC- well, I (and I'm sure 99% of most Catholic congregations everywhere,) must be pretty dense, b/c I have always found the connection of babies desiring milk and Easter to be not all that obvious.
  • Again, I'm sorry if I've offended you. What I was trying to do was point out how the Proper texts can often compliment "hymn of the day" texts. Again, "dense" would not be a term I would associate with you or most everybody on this forum, Joy. Mea culpa.
    Maybe I need to take a holiday....
  • CharlesW
    But how can a director ignore the impetus to program “Ye sons and daughters”? (“Well,” some might say, “you can’t sing nine verses as an Entrance!”)

Oh yes you can sing nine verses as an entrance. We did it Sunday!
  • CW, that was conjecture and couched as so with "some might say...."
    There's a forest among all the trees, yeesh.
    Yup, come to colloquium for a holiday from all the local stress.
  • CharlesW
    There's no stress in the eastern end of the forum. The associate pastor thought the hymn made less sense without all the verses. I can work with that.
  • Liam
    The verses are also pretty short, especially if you don't sing it as a dirge...
  • With all due respect, now I've seen everything......
  • WendiWendi
    We had a polka Mass at two different parishes I've belonged to. Both Polish. So here's a summary of what I personally have experienced.

Basically all the music is polka music...played by someone on an accordian, with a "choir" singing. It sounds like a very bad lounge act.

No one has actually polka'd that I've ever seen, but there is a lot of swaying to the music. At one parish the Mass took place outside (during the church festival) and at the other one, Mass took place inside (also during the church festival).

I didn't go to either Mass on purpose I assure you. I was a child at the first parish and didn't know it had replaced the Saturday evening Mass at the other.
  • BenBen
    "you can’t sing nine verses as an Entrance!"

That's why you use incense every Sunday....you can either sing the introit and a hymn, or 9 verses of a hymn :)
  • just PLEASE for the love of all that is sacred, don't sing all FOURTEEN verses for EVERY SUNDAY OF EASTER, for THREE YEARS CONSECUTIVELY....

bitter? who's bitter?

In spite of that experience, I program the hymn anyway. But only once per Eastertide.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    OK, I've never been to a polka Mass. They're fairly common around here in the liturgical wilderness of the Diocese of Youngstown. They seem to be a Polish thing, with maybe some other East European participation. But in my years playing euphonium in a German polka band, the band never did one (leader was an atheist, but had a certain honor for Mammon, so he would have if asked, I think).

But I'm writing mostly because the church festival/polka mass relationship is I think a little different than has been painted here. The polka Mass exists because a polka band is available. This is, after all, the One Holy Penurious and Catholic Church we're discussing. Most of these festivals have a polka band starting after lunch, from 2:00 or 3:00 on. They could never afford to hire a band for the service, especially if any amount of travel was involved. But the Mass makes an attractive add-on. Let's say they offer the band $1200 for the afternoon. They might agree to do the 11:00 Mass for another $300 and free beer and golobki between, since travel is already paid for, where they would want at least twice that as a stand-alone gig. And rather than using the Mass to get people to the festival (If it's their parish, wouldn't they support their own festival? Aren't most of them working it?), they use the band to get people to Mass.
  • expeditus1
    "They could never afford to hire a band for the service, especially if any amount of travel was involved. But the Mass makes an attractive add-on."

That is a fiscal motive which I had not entertained, Jeffrey. In all things pecuniary, I guess it makes sense - regrettably, so. I know that my own Mother, who was raised in a Polish community, finds the polka Mass to be a fond bridge to childhood memories of family, security, customs, etc. (My liturgical mindset is of a different variety.) Churches in my tri-county area and beyond, publish their calendar list of upcoming polka Masses in each others' bulletins; some folks are most eager to drive the distance for these, and I am presuming that some stay to grab a festival chicken-barbecue dinner, et al.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    AND to hear the band...polka fans can be incredibly loyal.
  • I played the whole Polka Mass. It was great background for doing the supper dishes...
  • expeditus1
    Yes, PurpleSquirrel, the polka Mass will get your nervous system revved up, alright.

Out of curiosity, I wonder which fans are more loyal: Polka fans or Deadheads (The Grateful Dead, for all of you post-70's crowd).
  • GavinGavin
    I know it's heresy, but I actually thought the music was mostly ok. It was the singing and performing quality that made me see red. Horrifying.
  • WendiWendi
    Don't get me wrong...I like polka music...in the correct context. It's simply NOT appropriate music for Mass. IMHO.
  • I like polka music, too, but also feel it is not for the mass, any more than hard rock and roll is. I don't believe that we should give the people what they want to "fill the seats". If that is the case, then we should start selling tickets to our masses because they are becoming too entertaining. There is a place for everything, and, imho, the mass is not the place for polka music.
  • Um, I just went on youtube and there are, like, LOTS of Polka Masses.... I thought this was just a one-parish thing. I was starting to feel a wee bit uncomfortable.

Then I saw the Clown Mass.

I think I'm going to have nightmares...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • WendiWendi
    Thankfully I have never experienced a clown Mass...yes...nightmares in the making.
  • I'm guessing the Clown trend originated with Godspell. My cousin even remembers singing a Godspell Mass at her parish in Lethbridge back in the early 80's...

I admit, I am quite unorthodox and open-minded..... but to watch this actually, physically, hurt.

(insert sad clown face here)
  • WendiWendi
    OH my. I was in Godspell in high school. But NEVER in church. The idea of a Godspell Mass is fairly terrifying.