Help? Ordinary Setting for Easter for SSAA
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Anyone have any suggestions for a mass for ssa or ssaa that I could use for Easter?
    I was just hired to do this mass (yes, not kidding) and I'm sick of all the stuff I already do and no research time.
    Frankly, the simpler the better as my girls schola has a bad case of spring fever and already enough polyphony to confuse them as it is.

But it has to be beautiful. ( I know. I know. )
    Thanks for any suggestions.

oh...and i have to be able to get it by Thursday's rehearsal.

• tomboysuzetomboysuze
    ps...i've been trying to order Kevin Allen's motets and mass for equal voices and the lullu site doesn't work well. This is the fifth time I've tried to spend money on the Watershed site....I'm sure they'd like to sell them. No phone number, only email contact. And yes, I sent two. ??? such a tease.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You've had a tight schedule thrust on you, good luck with it! I'll scrounge around for women's voices settings (never had to do that before).
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Thanks, Charles. I really appreciate it. I've done enough Easter liturgies that I can put something nice together...the girls have a lot of things in their repertoire that will work. But, I think I put a rather tall order out there. It can actually be SATB and I'll make my violinist sing the tenor. Or, maybe I'll get one of my sons to sing...(voice changing issues.) You're VERY kind to consider looking around. I have an old "Mass in Honor of St. Joan of Arc" that is very pretty....so perhaps that. I just found a couple on the CanticaNova site that might work. I can always do a Proulx Mass or make one up....(not really....I don't have Finale). Let me know if you come across anything interesting. I really want to buy that Kevin Allen mass setting for three equal voices and his motets, but every time I try to buy them from the site, it says it can't process the order. If anyone has that mass and will scan it and send it to me, I promise I'm going to buy it, if they'll let me....(cross my heart.) Many thanks, my friend!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    No idea whether you want English or Latin/Greek. The Faure Messe Basse is a little gem. Rather than direct you to CPDL, I'm attaching it here. (I'm guessing you want Latin/Greek). Would you want something a cappella or accompanied (even if only by something like 1-3 instruments)? Oh, and I'm guessing this is for choir only (or cantor/choir only)?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Charles! Thank you. It's gorgeous. I love Faure. And I've never heard this mass before.
    So beautiful, thank you.
    I have to run it by the Pastor, but he will love it.
    I knew you'd come up with something beautiful. You have such good taste.

Sending you blessings through the internet. I bow in your general direction. West Coast, right?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You're welcome, tomboysuze, and blessings back to you.

I'm actually in Hudson, Wisconsin, just across the St. Croix River (and MN/WI border) from the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Originally from the midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin ), transplanted to the east (D.C./Virginia) for a year, back to the midwest (Wisconsin) for university, then to the east for graduate school (New Jersey), then employment (Virginia, with visiting appointments/fellowships/sabbaticals in Germany, New Jersey and Illinois), I retired early from academia in 2001 so I could concentrate more on music and then relocated to Hudson in 2004.