Gloria Patri on Palm Sunday
  • aldrich
    My schola will be chanting Terce this coming Palm Sunday. Will the Gloria Patri be recited on that day. I see that the 1962 Liber usuali places a Gloria after the psalm verses of the two Pueri Hebraeorum antiphons sung during the distribution of palms. Is it not the Gloria Patri is suppressed on Palm Sunday and the rest of Holy Week?
  • chonakchonak
    The Palm Sunday office psalms are specified in an appendix toward the back of the Liber starting at the page numbered "13*", and they all include the Gloria Patri.

The processional psalms for Palm Sunday are there too on pages 27*-28*, also with the Gloria Patri.

So the Gloria Patri seems to be omitted in the Mass of Palm Sunday, but retained in the Offices.

The presence of the GP is not an accident, I think, since the same appendix omits the GP when it presents the psalms for the Sacred Triduum starting with Matins of Maundy Thursday (Ps. 68 on p. 28*). This is in keeping with the rubric for the Offices of the Triduum (Liber, p. 625).
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • So, in the Ordinary Form, is the Gloria Patri to be sung for the Introit on Palm Sunday, or not? In the Extraordinary Form, it is not sung.
    Thanked by 1aldrich
  • Protasius
    The Gloria Patri is partially retained in the office: it is omitted in the Invitatory psalm and the prolix responsories of matins and in the breve responsories of the little hours, the psalms retain it.
    There seems to have been a change on this through Rubricarum instructum (1960), but I am not sure.
    Thanked by 1aldrich