A tip about making corrections
  • chonakchonak
    As a long-time writer on public internet forums -- since the late '80s, I think [correction: 1991] -- I'd like to offer a little advice. Maybe it'll be useful to people who get caught up in arguments more often than they'd like.

Sometimes it is helpful to go easy on people who express some erroneous opinion. Often you can leave the matter there without trying to correct the person's mistake, especially if the correction would tend to distract people from the topic of discussion.

Now, correcting errors of fact is more worthwhile; but correcting people's errors of opinion is often not so urgent. Even if the other person is trying to argue against you, you don't have to participate in some back-and-forth exchange.

In short, you can trust the readers to understand the merits of your view, and sort things out, and in the process they'll recognize how prudent and forbearing you are.

I hope this helps!
  • marajoymarajoy
    The internet existed in the 80s?!?!?!
  • chonakchonak
    Even earlier. Services such as e-mail started back in the '70s; discussion forums ("Usenet") started around 1980. The web started in 1992.