Paper Program Instead of Hymnal
  • miacoyne
    Could someone please help or direct me on
    making paper program (worship aid, I like to call it Libellus)? Our schola is asked to sing Requiem Mass in Nov.8th Saturday. My priest expects to have complete paper program with readings. I never made one before. I'm pretty desperate. Is there a course on paper program for Mass 101? If it's not, could someone post here step by step kind of thing for beginners? I know it's a lot to ask, but maybe those experts can contribute and share their ideas, even just some parts to help the beginners. I think this would help lots of new directors.

First of all, can you download all the readings from somewhere? Do you type the texts and the translation of the chants or is there any website I can copy them from, (like 'In paradisum', 'Reqiem Aeternam')?

Thanks,
    Mia
  • Carl DCarl D
    This can get a little tricky, but here's some things that have helped me.

For Bible readings, the problem is that our Bible is copyrighted, so it's not legal to post it on-line. That said, it is often possible to find readings posted if you take a snippet of the reading, and do a Google search with quote marks around it. I have an electronic Bible that I've purchased, and on occasion have pulled stuff from that. I don't have it with me right now, though, it's at home.

For translations, the trick that's worked the best for me is to take a snippet of the Latin (NOT the first line - that's the name which will show up all over the place) and do a Google search on that. So for instance, for Conditor Alme Siderum, try:
    "qui condolens interitu" english

That happens to be the first line of the second verse. By using "english" on the same line, I'm hoping that the page will have another column labeled "English Translation" or something. It works surprisingly well.

Things to watch out for:
    * There are several different kinds of translations. Some intended to be sung to the same melody, some intended to be more accurate. Some come from ... who knows where. If you can connect with someone who knows a little Latin, they can help guide you a bit.
    * It's common for verses to be added, missing, or reordered. So make sure that you get the verses and translations the same as what you're going to actually sing. Sometimes this can take quite a bit of searching.

Google can be a great friend - it's a good investment to spend some time reading the instructions on how to do more advanced searches.

Sometimes I've tried to translate by going this route:
    1. Chant in Latin
    2. Find where that is in the Latin Vulgate bible (Google: site:vatican.va "latin words here" )
    3. Find the same verses in the Douay-Rheims Bible (www.drbo.org)
    4. Check to see what corresponds to those verses in our modern Bible
    I have to say that this is a lot of work and isn't often worth the trouble. It has helped when I'm trying to translate a Gospel Acclamation or something. But it can be a nice way to double-check if you're suspicious about a translation.

Carl
  • Mia,
    The website of Una Voce of Orange County (CA) has the Propers and Lections for the EF in side-by-side Latin and English translation posted; the link for the Commemoration of All Faithful Departed is http://uvoc.org/Holy_Souls/Holy_Souls.html. These are pdfs, but you should be able to click-drag-copy-paste the texts into another document if you also need to have hymns and other texts in the document.

My work parish (Anglo-Catholic) produces a Sunday bulletin that is 11x17, trifolded, in Word, in which all the texts except hymns found in The Hymnal 1940 are printed (I also use Catholic hymns from other sources with melodic lines and block verses prepared in Sibelius), plus translations of anthems and motets in languages other than English (we sing a great deal of Latin, some French, a little German occasionally). I can post one of those documents here if it would help you.
  • priorstf
    Hi Mia -
    A couple of questions for you:
    1) Will this be an OF or EF Mass? If OF, in Latin or English?
    2) Does the priest expect the entire Mass in the Libellus (excellent term - we use it as well)?

English language "official" translations can be found at the USCCB New American Bible website. The USCCB permissions page says that for a one-time use you don't have to request permission, though you should include the citation.

Translations are available for many common Latin hymns at cpdl.org (In Paradisum, Requiem Aeternam) and wikipedia (In Paradisum, Requiem Aeternam). Do check them over for the occasional oddity and/or misspelling. A Latin dictionary is a handy tool, whether online at the Notre Dame University Latin dictionary site or a good hardcopy one on your desk.

I don't know of a "Libellus CI" course on line yet, but that's not a bad idea. I'm attaching our Libellus from last night's Vespers service to give you an idea of how we do it. I have the advantage of being a curriculum developer so I have FrameMaker software to help. MS Word can do a fine job itself; all you need to do is set up a basic format and go.

Let me know if there are specific things you're seeking. We might team up on some solutions.
  • G
    I don't know how elementary you need, but I recently helped someone who didn't know that she could go into a word processing program and change the orientation to "landscape" and format it to make 2 or 3 columns.
    Often legal size paper in three columns works pretty well for programs, on one side,
    Pg 5 -- Pg 6-- Pg 1
    on the reverse,
    Pg 2-- Pg 3-- Pg 4.
    You can literally "cut and paste" to insert music if you have hard copies but not a music printing program.
    Also, don't get your heart set on art work until you know how much room you can spare, after you've put in all the text.
    And fonts or typefaces with serifs are easier to read, especially in small sizes.
    Sorry if all that was insulting, it was helpful to this woman.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • miacoyne
    G. It was very helpful. I really don't know much about computer stuff. (I guess I didn't want to know too much.)
    I have lots of info. now (Thank you so much. I really really appreciate them.) I will be trying one at a time. Is Sibelius worth getting for someone doesn't really write music?

The Mass is not EF. It's in English with chants. We will sing Ordinaries in Latin, and Introit and In Paradisum at the end. This is all we can do and handle in our parish. (I even have to put translation for Agnus Dei for our parish people. Most of them don't even know what it means. But I still love them.)
    This is a good opportunity for us to introduce and educate our parish people about Sacred music. One of our priest loves chants, although he is not trained in this area. Hopefully someday he can get trained.

Thank you so much for all the info. Now it's time for me to get back to work.
    Mia
  • miacoyne
    So many great websites and even great art work! I just need to put them together. I didn't know there were so many resources and they are free to download! This is very excciting. (I don't need to be down anymore from reading all the bad things about MaCain situation.)
    Thanks,
    Mia
  • a1437053a1437053
    To all: (especially Steve, whose Pentecost images were astonishing!)

Where can I find more images to use? I especially like the images on MusicaSacra's flickr account.
  • The images here were great but now they are gone. I wish someone had captured them.
  • Jeffrey,

Almost all of the same images are available through this site:
    http://www.thecatholiclibrary.org/gallery/lineart/

That site is much more tedious to use, having, if memory serves, a strange shopping cart system that one must use in order to get the original full-size images.

However, in navigating through the InIlloTempore.com site, I just found that you can still access the line art here:
    http://inillotempore.com/blog/images/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=LineArt

Perhaps someone should mirror all of these images on another site, just to be sure that they are preserved for online download? Honestly, I have found Flickr equally annoying to use for downloading images as all these other sites; maybe someone with the web space and the know-how can put them online in a simple format, where you can download them easily without having to navigate different pages to get to a full-sized image for download.
  • francis
    Here is another place I found some images on that site.

http://inillotempore.com/blog/images/gallery/albums.php
  • I have found this useful at times....

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/m/master/zunk_fl/sculptur/3/03cecili.html

This is one page, look through the site....and I see they are adding music - Frescobaldi!
  • Grace Church in Newark (Episcopal) produces a service leaflet that includes the entire text of the liturgy with all congregational music EXCEPT the hymns and the creed. The is printed on folded 11x14 sheets, and each page is, therefore, 11 x 7. It is duplicated on a Risograph. For samples, go to www.gracechurchinnewark.org.

We find the newcomers who have difficulty finding texts in the Prayer Book and service music in the hymnal have little difficulty finding hymns, and the creed is pasted inside the back cover of the hymnal.

Bruce Ford
  • TBL
    For more line art-- I'm in the process of pulling images from various freely available scanned documents online (actually, some of the pdfs are from the Musica Sacra site); I'd be happy to provide them all for the Musica Sacra flickr page when I'm through.

In the meantime, some of the images are here. I've tried to remove those that duplicate images on the previously mentioned flickr and inillotempore sites; might have missed some though. I'm cleaning up the images a bit as well, but if anything looks useful feel free to download (click the thumbnail, then the small icon next to the picture's filename).
  • a1437053a1437053
    WOW WOW WOW!

Our bulletin will have great new images for our Teen/Confirmation announcements!

Gratias!
  • priorstf
    Thanks so very much TBL! Beautiful job and nicely supplements the ever-expanding MS collection.
  • hartleymartin
    Reviving on old thread topic here.

I produce my own mass leaflets. However, they are almost never for a Sunday mass but for various feasts and solemnities which fall during the week. Campion College in Sydney, Australia has a sung mass every Tuesday, which is conducted by our Schola Director. I take care of sung masses which do not fall on Tuesdays

A couple of examples of my work attached include the Feast of St Lawrence, and One that I am doing for the Assumption, (tomorrow morning).

As much as possible I try to put everything on a single A4-sheed (St Lawrence), but when this isn't possible due to the length of the readings or for some other reason, I go to 2x A4 sheets and include as much of the ordinary as I can.

In due course, I may produce an in-house "kyriale" or some sort of "Order of Sung Mass" Leaflet.

If this were for a Parish Church, I would probably go with two sheets on a Sunday and the back page(s) would be notices or some general advertising about the parish (mass times, etc)

Most parishes these days tend to publish a separate newsletter/bulliten.

I create mass leaflets because I detest projection screens or TV screens inside churches. They distract one's attention from the sanctuary, and in any case there are church documents which specifically prohibit projection screens of any sort for any purpose.
  • rmerkel
    We use the Kyriale from Solesmes and provide Sunday Missals for those who don't have them. Most people, at least in my experience, prefer holding a book in the liturgy than bits of paper - a book is easier to take seriously than flimsy laminated cards or folded sheets. The cost is also cheaper in the long run and far better for the environment too.
  • hartleymartin
    I am seriously considering to produce my own Hymnal which will contain only public doman/creative commons stuff. But I need to know the proper conditions for it all before I do so.
  • Anything from PBEH is PD or CC3 and can be used.

The most reliable way is to use major protestant hymnals to research music copyright. Let the do the work for you.

Copyright hymn melodies (only) can be used if you have OneLicense. Tim there is VERY helpful to people who want to conform to the law and support paying musicians.
  • hartleymartin
    This will be a holiday project for me, I am sure.

PBEH? CC3? - Creative Commons 3.0? What is PBEH? The trouble is that the 2010 ICEL chant mass is copyrighted, and I would definitely want to include this in a hymnal.
  • hartleymartin
    I would probably work on a new collection of easy organ music along the lines of Novello's "Village Organist" series, targeted at people who play piano/keyboard and attempting to revive the organ music tradition.
  • mahrt
    I produce a leaflet, using three folded 8 1/2 x 14 sheets. In Word, tables provide a flexible way to set parallel columns of Latin and English. These leaflets are made general enough that they can be used from year to year.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • chonakchonak
    PBEH = "Parish Book of English Hymns", the project of public-domain and Creative Commons English hymns edited by Noel.
  • DanielCDanielC
    I think a beautiful hymnal, something like the Vatican II Hymnal, is the way to go. Paper isn't as nice and paper programs when I've done them always seem to end up wrinkled and left in all the pews.
  • Any luck finding some of those old line art galleries?
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks for pointing out the PBEH! Although for the Australian context, there are quite a few hymns that I wouldn't include and several more which I would add (hopefully they are public domain).

At the small chapel where I do mass, the mass leaflets are dutifully returned to the table at the door. I should hold onto them for liturgies for next year. I keep publishing the names of the pieces that I play as postludes, so I guess that I am stuck with playing Corrente Italiana every feast of St Lawrence!
  • chonakchonak
    CMAA's collection of line art is available. For future use, I've added this link to the bottom of the "literature" page on our website.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • And also very ably edited by Jonathan Eason, who taught me a lot in the process, and both of us under Jeffrey "the >•<" Tucker!<br />
    There are many hymns in the PBEH I would eliminate if I were building a hymnal, so be comfortable with your thinking!
  • Daniel,

A hymnal is forever, but a weekly bulletin lets you mold the liturgy weekly. Bulletins are meant to be thrown away, but they serve a valuable purpose.