Comparison of Hymn Tunes used in WORSHIP IV (GIA Publications)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    GIA Worship IV Index of Hymn Tunes

Vatican II Hymnal Index of Hymn Tunes

St. Michael Hymnal Index of Hymn Tunes

Adoremus Hymnal Index of Hymn Tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNRZU6Td-Cw

---

As we've discussed in the past on this forum, a HYMN consists of both TEXT and MELODY. It is very common for hymn texts to be "married" to multiple melodies — an example would be "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus," which is frequently sung to either CROSS OF JESUS or STUTTGART. (more) Folks in England seem (perhaps) more aware of this, as they don't even bother putting texts under the tunes in their hymnbooks. The reason is because they tend to "mix and match" hymn texts and tunes constantly (which can be very nice, when done with care). That being said, I've always found it a little deceptive when a hymnal has 600-700 hymns . . . yet a minuscule amount of hymn TUNES. I like as many good, solid, sturdy, traditional tunes as possible. I don't like seeing 3, 4, or 5 texts for each hymn tune. Others will disagree.

---

I recently looked at the HYMN TUNE INDEX for GIA's Worship IV. I would have expected that Worship IV would have 2-3 times as many traditional hymn tunes as the Vatican II Hymnal.

Well, I guess that shows what I know!

It turns out that the V2H actually has more traditional hymn tunes than Worship IV. From what I can tell, ADOREMUS and ST. MICHAEL's do not compare unfavorably to Worship IV in this regard.
  • Since the new Worship is really the old Ritual Song in disguise, I'm not surprised.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Would you please point out either (a) the hymn tunes in Worship IV that are NOT traditional tunes or (b) the ones that are traditional - whichever is more convenient for you. It would be nice to have a similar list for St. Michael and Adoremus, too.

Also, I wonder just what the meaning of "traditional" is in this context. It seems as if there might be some variance of opinion unless one is willing to be more precise. For example, how does one categorize a newly composed hymn tune in what one might call a "traditional style" - is it traditional or non-traditional?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Would you please point out either (a) the hymn tunes in Worship IV that are NOT traditional tunes or (b) the ones that are traditional - whichever is more convenient for you. It would be nice to have a similar list for St. Michael and Adoremus, too.

CHGiffen, I am not a hymn expert (so correct me if I am wrong), but my understanding is that most of our traditional hymn tunes come from German Chorales or the Anglican tradition.

Obviously, tunes (melodies) written in modern styles are going to differ, in terms of tonality, melodic shape, leaps in the melody, use of chromaticism, etc.

In general, I would consider the majority of hymn tunes in the NEW ENGLISH HYMNAL and/or HYMNS ANCIENT AND MODERN as using more "traditional" tunes. Perhaps others will disagree.

There seem to be a massive amount of hymn tunes listed in Worship IV —— such as "GATHER US IN" (836), "BALM IN GILEAD" (646), "HERE I AM, LORD" (783), "SOMEBODY'S KNOCKIN' (462) —— that would not be considered "traditional" tunes.

---
    A FEW ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS FOR CONSIDERATION:

I cannot even tell exactly which "tune" many of the hymn tunes in the index of Worship IV reference --- for instance, HEALER OF OUR EVERY ILL (965) is probably the song called "Healer of our every ill" by Marty Haugen in RitualSong, yet this tune name is not listed in the back of RitualSong . . . perhaps because it is not a traditional tune? Not sure . . .

By the way, on a different subject, I would love to see modern composers start composing modern hymn tunes which are NOT parodies of German Chorales. Or, if composer choose to parody the old style, it would be wonderful if they could stick to that style. But in that case, it might be better to simply use the traditional tunes. Just a few thoughts.
  • GavinGavin
    Wikipedia: "There Is A Balm in Gilead" is a traditional United States African American spiritual.

I'm not sure what's not "traditional" about the style of Gather Us In. The form is the common AABA' of most chorales. The meter is intended to serve the poetic text (well, I wouldn't call the text poetic, but you get my meaning!). A few points make it stand out from other, more well-established hymn tunes: its composition by the author of the text, its dorian mode (surely we aren't going to exclude modal melodies??), that silly interlude at the end, the time signature, it is plainly written as a monophonic melody (although, while commonly found in four parts, the Lutheran chorales were originally conceived of as monophonic songs). I don't know if any of these are enough to warrant it being classed as a "non-traditional" hymntune. A good hymntune? No, but neither is ODE TO JOY. I'd argue both are "traditional" in genre.

I propose that many wish to determine what is and is not "traditional" based on personal taste. I view this as intellectual dishonesty and spiritual bullying.

Now how do I draw the line? There is clearly a difference between EIN FESTE BURG and "Here I am, Lord" which Jeff is noticing. The difference is difficult to articulate indeed! Let me state some properties I see "traditional hymn tunes" as having:
    - Not requiring instrumental accompaniment to sing effectively
    - Tonal melody, well-constructed by the rules of classic composition
    - Simple regular meter
    - Simple rhythm
    - Rests are inserted by the singing community
    Of course, a "traditional hymn tune" is generally agreed as being harmonized in four parts and better accompanied on the organ - although I caution this is more a convention than an observable property of the tune itself.

I'd further propose that there is a spectrum of "traditionalness", if you will: ST ANNE is clearly "traditional". The Vaughan Williams tunes fail on at least one each of these. The Lutheran Chorales, in their original form, had syncopations and shifting meters. Somewhat less "traditional". "Awesome God" - requires accompaniment, has a tonal but not well-constructed melody, the rhythm is not at all simple, and the melody relies upon the written rests. NOT "traditional"!

I do not wish to propose "traditional" as a substitute for or aid to good musical judgment. Like Jeff, I want new tunes which abandon the "traditional" style while preserving the ease of participation, flexibility, nobility, and beauty of the "traditional" style hymns. I haven't seen any.

And let me say I agree completely with Jeff's main point in this thread: the Vatican II Hymnal is far superior to any offering of major Catholic publishers in its tune content's quality and quantity.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Among other composing activities, I happen to write hymn tunes. Whether any of my settings might be called "traditional" is for others to declare. With Christmas just around the corner (and falling on a Sunday), I offer my tune "McShane" (77. 77. 77) set to the words "Sing, O sing this blessed morn" (found in The Hymnal 1940):

Sing, O sing this blessed morn

A more elaborate hymn-anthem setting is available at CPDL.

Also fitting the season is my tune "Corde Natus" (87. 87. 87. 77 or 87. 87. D), with descant:

Tune: Corde Natus

I composed this tune for the text "Of the Father's love begotten":

Of the Father's love begotten

At CPDL, you will also find my tunes "Rasmus" (setting the text "Let thy Blood in mercy poured"), "Crucified" (two harmonizations, setting "Kind Maker of the world" and "O come and mourn with me awhile"), and "Arisen" (setting "The strife is o'er").

Use as you wish.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Other sources for hymn tunes that I would call "Traditional" (along with German Chorales and Anglican sources):
    -Other European, particularly French (PICARDY) and Italian (the tune usually associated with O Sanctissima, despite it's German name in V2H, is actually Italian)
    -British Isle folk songs (from whence come many Anglican hymns: ST. COLUMBA, SLAINE)
    -Gregorian hymns from the Divine Office
    -Hymns and Sequences in a chant style, but which are not part of the "official" "canon."
    -various American sources... notably the Shape Note tradition (BOURBON and HOLY MANNA), which (more than, say, Black Gospel) continued the European understanding of tunes as separate from text. (It's worth noting that many American protestant traditions trace their spiritual roots back to Anglicanism, by way of the Puritans and other similar groups).

I am also very cautious about JMO's attempt at defining/deciding "Traditional" too narrowly. You might not like HOLY MANNA, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say it isn't "Traditional."

I think Gavin's descriptive list is probably a good start for something better than "I know it when I hear it" or "Traditional is stuff I like."
  • As others here have mentioned, whether a hymn tune might be classified as “traditional” can depend on a number of factors.

I generally agree with how Adam has addressed this in his above post, using the word “traditional” to include German chorales, tunes from the English tradition, other European influences (e.g. French, Italian, British Isle etc.) chant hymnody, and Early American tunes.

Using these parameters, here’s what I discovered: Of the 341 tunes listed in the Tune Index of Worship IV, a conservative estimate is that at least 200 could be classified as traditional. Of the tunes that can be dated, almost all of these were composed pre-1900, with a few early-20th century pieces (e.g. hymn tunes by Vaughan Williams).

The Vatican II Hymnal Tune Index lists 130 entries. If one uses the above criteria, it turns out that Worship IV actually has more traditional hymn tunes than the Vatican II hymnal.
  • CharlesW
    Ritual Song, which my church is still using, does have a decent selection of traditional hymns. My objections to it are based both on the well-known hymns left out, and the mostly wretched psalms. I haven't seen Worship IV, but it sounds like it would be similar.
  • Charles,

The hymns in RitualSong were about 50% organ-based, and 50% piano-based. The hymns in Worship IV are about 80% organ-based, and 20% piano-based.

The psalter in Worship IV is much more developed than RitualSong. Worship IV has the Lectionary refrains for all the Sunday responsorial psalms (I think at least 75-85% were retained from Worship III). A new feature is that each refrain can be paired with either Gelineau or Guimont psalm-tone verses.

In addition, the separate psalter section in the front of Worship IV has many other settings usable for the Liturgy of the Hours, Sacramental celebrations, Processional Chants, and Alternate Responsorial Psalm settings.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Fr. Jim, it would be interesting if you could, perhaps, list 10-15 traditional hymn TUNES that are in Worship IV but not in the V2H. From the comparison I did, it seemed (much to my surprise) that the V2H has more traditional hymn TUNES than Worship IV. You're right that it does rest on one's criterion in this assessment; for instance, I don't think the V2H contains many (if any?) early American tunes.

Another major difference between GIA and the V2H is that the V2H keeps more traditional language, as has been discussed. Just like the ADOREMUS and the ST. MICHAEL's, the V2H keeps much more traditional language (even "thees and thous") than do the GIA publications, which frequently alter the texts. Working at a major Cathedral for four years, the constant changes and alterations to the hymn language by RitualSong drove me batty. From what I could tell, many of the changes had to do with so-called "inclusive" language and efforts to copyright the texts.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks. I need to look at a copy of Worship IV.
  • JMO,

Thanks for your good and honest questions.

I took a quick look at the Hymn Tune Indices of both the Vatican II hymnal and Worship IV. In answer to your first question, here are a dozen hymn tunes in Worship IV (that some might call “Traditional”) that aren’t in the Vatican II hymnal. (I just started at the beginning of the alphabet, listing those of which I was sure, and stopped when I reached a dozen.):

ABERYSTWYTH (Joseph Parry, 1841-1903)
    ALL SAINTS (German, 1698)
    AR HYD Y NOS (Welsh)
    AZMON (Carl Glaser, 1784-1829)
    BEATUS VIR (Slovak, 16th c.)
    COENA DOMINI (Arthur Sullivan, 1842-1900)
    CORONATION (Oliver Holden, 1765-1844)
    DARWALL’S 148th (John Darwall, 1731-1789)
    DETROIT (Kentucky Harmony, 1820)
    FESTAL SONG (William H. Walter, 1825-1893)
    FOUNDATION (1832)
    GAUDEAMUS PARITER (Johann Horn, c. 1495-1547)

Your questions about alteration of hymn texts are good ones, and not all will agree on the various philosophies used by different hymnal editors.

That being said, even though I was one of the five general editors for Worship IV, we did not usually deal with text alteration questions. There was a separate editorial committee for texts. So I’m not especially qualified to answer all the text questions in detail. Here’s what the Preface to Worship IV states about this: “Each text has undergone the scrutiny of a newly formed English Text Review Committee. Hymns having more than a century of use were compared to their original versions as well as to their versions in contemporary hymnals. Some previously omitted verses were added, some original wording was restored, and other edits were made according to the best judgment of the committee. Alterations made to copyrighted texts were done with permission.”

However, from my observations of the hymns in Worship IV, I think I can address a few text points. First, the “thee/thy” constructions in “beloved” and well-known texts were retained (e.g. “Holy God, We Praise Thy Name,” “Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones” etc.) It seems to me that when an older text with “thee/thy” language wasn’t considered especially well-known, then it was sometimes changed to “you/your” unless the rhyme scheme prohibited it.

As far as “inclusive” language, there was no hesitation using male pronouns for God as Father or referring to God as “him” or “his” (“vertical language”) when appropriate. But with “horizontal language” (men/women), an effort was often made to be inclusive, if it was not seen as a disservice to the text.

I do not think that the editors of current or former GIA hymnals made changes to public domain texts in order to copyright the text. In fact, I think this happened only once in Worship IV (“Sing We Now of Christmas” to the tune NOEL NOUVELET) when the text editors basically wrote a new hymn to this text composed by the famous “Anonymous.”! Perhaps some confusion happens in looking at copyright lines in GIA hymnals, and seeing a copyright symbol on an older text, but upon closer examination the copyright refers only to the organ or SATB arrangement.

Finally, I apologize for this lengthy post, but wanted to answer JMO’s questions as thoroughly as I can. Also, I realize that many here at CMAA may not agree with some of these text editing philosophies. But I hope we can at least understand the rationale, and respect each other’s differences.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Father,

I appreciate your Reverence's careful response. However, I am not quite sure what to make of some of it.

For instance, you note (above) that "GAUDEAMUS PARITER" is not in the Vatican II Hymnal.

As a matter of fact, the Vatican II Hymnal DOES have this tune at least once — it is called by the name of AVE VIRGO VIRGINUM.

Or am I wrong?
  • Jeffrey,

I really don't know the answer to your question. Sometimes the same hymn tune has more than one name. If the tune GAUDEAMUS PARITER is also known as AVE VIRGO VIRGINUM, I wasn't aware of that.

Fr. Jim
  • Beautiful singing by the young woman in the video. I would like to get indices of tunes for Ritual Song and Gather Comprehensive 2nd Ed. Why don't GIA and other publishers readily make hymnal indices available in text-searchable PDF format? It would make it so much easier for music liturgists (e.g. cantors and guitarists, like me) on the go who need quick access to song numbers. I am not always lugging around congregational or choir hymnals, or three-volume/3-ring binders with me.
  • ronkrisman
    Richard, as I noted on another thread (concerning the new Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song hymnal) GIA informed me today that the 101-page index from that hymnal will be posted on its website. Perhaps that will lead to the indexes from other hymnals also being posted, who knows?

At first I did not notice the dates on this discussion and thought it had all taken place this afternoon! After reading through everything, I discovered that only your comment, Richard, was made today.

I did want to respond to Jeff's comment, from December 2011, in case no one has addressed this issue in the past 1 1/2 years:
    I cannot even tell exactly which "tune" many of the hymn tunes in the index of Worship IV reference --- for instance, HEALER OF OUR EVERY ILL (965) is probably the song called "Healer of our every ill" by Marty Haugen in RitualSong, yet this tune name is not listed in the back of RitualSong . . . perhaps because it is not a traditional tune? Not sure . . .

It's clear that Jeff created his listing without actually having a copy of Worship IV before him; otherwise, he would have been able to look up no. 965. His question about new tune names is a good one.

I'm afraid this is something forced on GIA by the "hymnal industry," which wants everything done the same way. Hymn tunes must have names, so that all the hymns in a particular hymnal will be listed in the tune index of said hymnal. And so it was some non-Catholic denominational hymnal which first attached a tune name to Schutte's "Here I Am, Lord" or Haugen's "Gather Us In," etc. Those names have spread throughout the industry and GIA felt that it almost had to begin using them because of what is running as a subtext in this entire discussion: being able to determine and compare the musical content of hymnals based upon established tune names.

And so, in the preparation of Worship IV (and, to a lesser extent, Gather 3), composers were asked to come up with tune names for pieces they had written in the past but to which they had not assigned a name. At least the composer would be able to determine the tune name for his or her own creation.