Polyphony: 20th-21st Centuries, Noteworthy Mass Ordinaries
  • Pes
    This is a thread for discussion of noteworthy works of sacred polyphony written in the 20th-21st centuries. Over time, this thread will no doubt become too large. May I suggest that we start this thread as a thread devoted to general considerations and recommendations. Particular composers will eventually merit separate discussion topics. If we stay relatively organized, finding things will be easier. Many thanks. I look forward to this discussion, and thanks to Isaac, who first proposed it.

Update 11/29/07: Let's focus initially on noteworthy Mass Ordinaries (with/without propers) and reserve motets for another thread.
  • Isaac
    Hello Hello!

Isaac is here!

Thanks for the ice breaking ceremony Pes. I was hoping to see Jeff Herbert here sooner. Yes, forums are like theses statements. Narrow them down into categories and we'll stay organized. Dear Jeff (Tucker)...Thank you! Well we best start somewhere and I am thinking if what we need is a forum description (kind of like what you started) so that we don't drift away. Also, Jeff, if you're eavesdropping (haha) is it possible to create sub-discussion boards? under these?

Isaac.
  • Isaac
    Okay, considering that no one has joined in and I am tired of waiting. I'd like to discuss this.

What is the best Catholic liturgical setting in the vernacular you've ever heard in recent times. I am talking about fine music so no Sister this or that. Perhaps we could start on something recent. What do you think of Macmillan's Mass for Westminster Cathedral?

Isaac.
  • One of my favorites is Schenk's Modal Mass. Regrettably it has a responsorial Gloria, but I think the work is a great example of what the pope has been asking for.

moconnor
  • rich_enough
    Poulenc's Mass in G is gorgeous, although very difficult to sing and so out of reach for most choirs.

Sam Schmitt
  • Nice forum, nice topics, particularly this one. Hi, Mike. Birds of a feather....
    I think there's more in the question to ponder before the answers that are "at the ready."
    Item: Discarding the implications of "best" (in that such responses will be subjective,) the next criteria applied are "liturgical," then "polyphonic," then "vernacular."
    But keep Benedict's/Mahrt's mantra "paradigm of beauty" rolling while I spin.
    Liturgical, for me, simply means that it possesses certain attributes that work to elicit "participatio" whether "actuosa" or "actuoso." It, therefore, should not purvey attributes that obviously call forth attention unto itself as an artistic endeavor, or to the virtuosity of its performers/performance. I freely admit that these are not lines easily drawn or to be seen by all.
    Polyphonic, in light of all recent harkenings from the Vatican, means an adherence and respect for compositional attributes such as counterpoint, melodic/motivic equanimity, independence and interdependence of same among voicings, modality and/or tonality, etc., as represented classically by Victoria, Pierluigi da Palestrina, Hassler, Lassus, Morales et al perhaps all the way from Rome to the Venetians (Gabriellis, Monteverdi) and to England (Byrd, Tallis.) Obviously the awakenings of homophony and tonality are present in this "Roman" ideal; but are in lesser measure than true polyphony. So, one has to dismiss from discussion all that reflects latter musical development or traditions, whether Baroque counterpoint, Orthodox homophony or Haydn/Schubertian classicism. Okay, so far?
    Vernacular, that's easy: not sung in Latin.
    Haven't heard the McMillan, will look up. Also the Schenk. I generally love Poulenc, but I believe that must be in Latin, yes? Like his famous Gloria?
    Elsewhere I've posted my affection for a lovely little setting that humbly meets the criteria I've outlined above: Rev. John Schiavone's Missa breva "Holy Family Mass," which is permanently out of print from OCP. Subsequent settings by Schiavone haven't come close to the compact elegance of this little gem.
    But I think, as the tide is turning, that this question of finding beautifully crafted, polyphonic ordinaries in the vernacular will garner major interest, just as CMAA is ground zero for the resurgence of interest in the actual employment of chant in "real time" parishes here in the US.
    I eagerly await more responses.
  • Charles, great to see you here! I'm looking forward to some good discussions on music.

I get the impression that the original question was simply one of musical merit, but I'm glad you raised the issue of functionality. I find that I listen to liturgical texts differently in different settings. In the concert hall, I'm quite happy to listen for music-text relationships, formal plans, and even musical subtexts. OTOH during the Mass, I find things like musical imagery a little distracting. I'm after a more spiritual experience there and sometimes simple-but-elegant works the best. So, while I get a little bored with Palestrina in concert, I love his music in the liturgy, which is its natural environment. I've never experienced Poulenc in the liturgy, but I'll bet that I will feel that it is a bit much to absorb there.

BTW nice design on this forum.

moconnor
  • GavinGavin
    What exactly is meant by "polyphony" when we talk the 20th/21st century? The term is tossed around a lot, but I usually consider "polyphony" as a genre (not as a musical technique) as having ended at the Baroque period.
  • Hey, sorry it took me so long to get on here... a bit busy lately, but finally saw the notice of the forum up on NLM.

I think you can say that there is 20th century "polyphony", since the technique results in compositions that bear much in common with their 16th and 17th century "classic" counterparts. It is not a technique that is used much in "serious" (art music) music, but does occasionally arise. I'm thinking, at least recently, of composers like Arvo Paart who use the technique as a way of recalling the historical context of 17th century polyphony. For the liturgical composer, the sheer volume of available polyphonic settings from the classical period of polyphony seriously reduce the need or incentive to write new settings. New settings will come with new texts.
  • rich_enough
    Sorry about that - I missed the stipulation of a vernacular setting.

I've always found David Hurd's "New Plainsong" to work very well. It is singable without being obvious or "sing-songy", is rhythmically subtle and varied, and stands up well to frequent repetition. The accompaniments are nice as well. It's in Worship III and (I believe) the Hymnal 1982.

Healy Willan's unison settings (e.g. have many of the same qualities, though they are more "conventional" in harmony and rhythm.

I'm not certain that these pieces qualify as great music (as the Macmillan might) but I have found them to be very serviceable over the years.

Sam Schmitt
  • rich_enough
    Oh, well, this is supposed to be a discussion of polyphony - and both of the pieces I mention are for unison voices. I'll let others take over now!

Sam Schmitt
  • Gavin, your question is well taken. Polyphony is a genre in both senses of your understanding. In the musicological sense (chime in, Mike, if I don't nuance this well) the form evolved from the High Renaissance rubrics of voice movement, etc. into a hybrid period bridged by Monteverdi and the early Baroque (false term) opera composers. The principle watermark was the clear intent to codify tonality over modality in harmonic constructs in the early "baroque." Polyphonic characteristics never have really gone away since the 16th century. The architecture just got bigger, more complex, more ornamented, grander. Periodically, the classical techniques (primarily deigning a capella choral rendition) enjoy neo-renaissances of their own via composers like Stanford, Vaughn-Williams and Bruckner in the Romantic era, and in our own era, Lauridsen, William Hawley and Tavener. Oddly, I wouldn't place Pärt with two feet into the modern polyphony practicioner bin, though with many of early works (I love his 60's vintage "Solfeggio!") emulate classic traits.
    Of course, one needs to consider the translation of some Proper and devotional texts (ie. Sicut Cervus) from Latin into a vernacular, such as one done by Fr. Eugene Lindusky in the 70's with mixed success. But I would pause before composing or auditioning strict Roman polyphony settings of the ordinaries IN ENGLISH! Yeah, it's been done. Anybody using 'em you know?
    I think Chironomo's last statement is very insightful. But, again, one needs to consider what will constitute "new texts" as revisions of translations are promulgated.
  • BTW, Mike, I know I've shared this with you before, maybe over lunch in DC:
    Worst concert ever?
    Enduring the Sistine Chapel Choir (live in my hometown during Lent, late 80's, under the ham-fisted Bertolucci) sing the entire Palestrina catalogue settings of the Song of Songs.
    The Horror, the Horror.....oh the humanity.....you get the picture.
    Glad to hear B16's placed Grau in a position as operative to revamp/repopulate the whole choir. Hope the Rossini Home for Retired Buffa's and Tenors has rooms.
  • Charles, that does sound like a nightmare. I think I mentioned that my students laughed when they heard the Sistine choir at the end of the "Out of Darkness" episode from the Man and Music Series. Let's hope the Spirit has had enough of the warbling and "manly" chanting.

Regarding polyphony, I think the term in this context may mean "multi-part" music that allows for reverent settings of homophonic textures as well. Pärt certainly achieves the "spirit" of polyphony w/o always engaging in it.

moconnor
  • The combination of the Sistine Chapel Choir and American Seminarians in Rome did no one any good....not encouraging when they returned to the US and referred to the SCC as the "Sistine Chapel Screamers".

What's encouraging is that the music they will be singing is going to be heard and will now reflect positively upon all of us and what we are pursuing, even in little towns on this side of the ocean. It's been difficult to justify a program of music when what was heard in the Mother Church was so blatantly...blatant.
  • Pes
    Frank Martin's (d. 1974) Mass for Double Choir has been highly praised. Latin. As always, one needs very accurate singing to render the close dissonances. I haven't heard of this being used in liturgy. He also wrote a Requiem.
  • Isaac
    Aha, Hello everyone, nice to know we are finally chatting. It seems this is getting much larger. So let's just discuss what the heading says. Just as a recap so far:
    Let's open this to unison voices too.
    (please help me make this list grow)

Vernacular Mass settings, of late:
    Macmillan's Mass for Westminster Cathedral (see Hyperion label Compact Disc CDA67219)
    Schenk's Modal Mass
    Requiem by Herbert Howells
    Collegium Regale by Herbert Howells

Latin ordinaries:
    Poulenc's Mass in G
    Frank Martin's Mass in F for Double Choir (see Hyperion Label Compact Disc CDA67017)

and might I add:

Part's Berliner Messe (type Arvo Part, go to cd entitled Te Deum and other sacred works for sample/ ECM Records)
    Part's Missa Syllabica (Virgin Records)
    Ildebrando Pizetti's Requiem (from the same CD as Martin's Mass)
    Missa in simplicitate by Langlais
    Messe Solennelle by Langlais (Hyperion Label Compact Disc CDA66270

A bit of housekeeping:

Dear all, help me compile a list so that we can use it as a what next to listen to record. Can anyone provide links to their suggested music so that we can all appreciate it?

Could we all stay to masses that were meant to be sung liturgically? Once this gets larger, we will move the motets? Let's just stick with ordinaries for the time being (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus & Benedictus, Agnus Dei) and also the propers if they come together with the mass settings.

Also, Dear Pes, yes the Martin Mass is sung at Westminster Cathedral at least once a year me thinks.

Isaac
  • Isaac
    oh...also I forgot to add this, I have not heard it before but apparently there was a mass in honour of our late Holy Father, John Paull II which was composed by John Taverner (the contemporary one, evidently) and was sung at the Juventutem at Koln last WYD. I have never heard it yet. Does anyone know this?

I think it's called Missa in honorem Ioannes Paulus II

Isaac
  • G
    "mass in honour of our late Holy Father, John Paull II which was composed by John Taverner (the contemporary one, evidently) and was sung at the Juventutem at Koln last WYD."

I have some vague recollection that Aristotle might be connected with Juventutem?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Isaac and G:

Indeed I was connected with Juventutem 2005 in that I sang in the Pilgrims' Choir (which was to me very much like the CMAA Colloquium, except it was 14 days on a musical Mount Tabor instead of 7).

John Tavener did have the aforementioned Mass setting premiere at a celebration of the Traditional Latin Mass. (The Pilgrims' Choir did not premiere this work, by the way.) Based on my faulty memory, it is comparable to a Renaissance setting in length. However, the demands on musicianship are rather high; well-trained ears are mandatory to execute the work. Can't find a reference to a recording at the moment.
  • Pes
    Housekeeping:

Isaac, it's great that you're providing a summary list. If you do that periodically, it will be easy to find (and print/use) a tidy list.
  • Isaac
    Let's also add:

Mass in G Minor - Vaughan Williams

Is that all that we can find?
    Isaac
  • ghmus7
    There is a wonderful mass by Alain, hard to find, but quite fine. I have a copy.
    I don't know if the Community mass of Proulx would go into this category - there is quite a lot of polyphony in the new version.
    I know there are other masses of Langlais than the one mentioned.
    Faure "Messe Basse" .
    There is a Franck setting I know (can't recall name)
    Seems to me there would be many more French seting to find, such as Dupre, Vierne (the mass for two choirs is knows, but there must be others)
    Oh: Missa Cum Jubilus by Durufle!!
  • francis
    Hi:

I met some of you in 2005 at the Summer Colloquium. I offered a couple of movements from original polyphonic ordinaries which were brand new at the time, and I would like to make them available to all who wish to use them for free.

Hear an Agnus Dei here: http://www.bizextend.com/soundFiles/mijp5.mp3

If you are interested, I will send scores. I will try to leave a pdf of this movement here.
  • Lou Harrison (1917-2003) is known mostly for his experimental modal music and his works for Gamelan and percussion ensemble, but he composed two Mass settings. One was called Mass for St. Cecilia's Day and consisted of a single melody-line setting of the common of the Mass and propers for St. Cecilia in a modal style with harp or drone accompaniment. The other was a Mass to St. Anthony for chorus and percussion ensemble. I have access to the St. Cecilia piece which was privately printed in a large folio format, and have heard a recording of the St. Anthony setting. I am not sure whether either has been used liturgically, but I think the St. Cecilia one could be used in that manner. Incidentally, Harrison as a boy growing up in Portland learned Gregorian chant from Catholic priests there. The St. Anthony Mass was inspired by the stories he heard of the Spanish missionaries in California attempting to teach the native Americans chant by inviting them to bring their drums to the Church and then slowly trying to wean them off the percussion while in the meantime performing a sort of rhythmicized chant. I believe that in the St. Anthony Mass he was trying to imagine what this interim music might have sounded like.
  • Two votes: Missa in honorem Reginae Pacis, AND Missa in honorem Sancti Josephi, both by Flor Peeters. The first is a two-part ordinary, the second is a three-part.

JP
  • Might I suggest the Missa "Orbis Factor" by Gerald Near. This is a wonderful late 20th century setting of the Mass in Latin. It incorporates the melodies of the Gregorian Mass XI into a wonderful polyphonic texture with an independent organ accompaniment. It does not have a setting of the Credo by the Credo I (authenticus) goes
    well with it.
    It is not unlike Durufle's use of the chant in his Requiem and Missa "Cum Jubilo," but Near has a style all his own.
    Not long, it is well worth learning and in a Church where the Mass XI is sung it will be a rewarding experience to hear those beautiful and familiar melodies woven into a polyphonic texture. Needs a skilled choir, director and accompanist. (not overly long, either).
  • IanWIanW
    Amongst 20th-century Latin-and-Greek settings, Britten's Missa Brevis is worth consideration, especially if you work with children's choirs. It was written for the choristers of Westminster Cathedral, back in George Malcolm's day, and is set for three-part treble chorus and organ. Look it up on YouTube.
  • Chris K.
    ghmus7 --

I'm interested in the Alain Mass you mentioned. Do you have any more info about this? Thanks! (Feel free to contact me via my provided email address.) I'm doing repertoire research for a liturgical ensemble.