Communion Chant/Hymn/Song
  • Claire H
    My pastor asked me to specifically investigate the acceptability of briefly chanting the Communion antiphon (I usually do it from the SEP, with just a Glory Be and no other verses since our "choirs" here don't have the ability to join in...yet ;) and then following it with other seasonal/Eucharistic hymns/songs for the remainder of the Communion procession and into the purification of the vessels. Basically, he wants to make sure that, according to directives, it's okay to use both the proper chant and other music the way we are right now. I told him that to my knowledge, it's perfectly fine, but promised to double check with you knowledgeable people here. :)
  • Claire, depends upon who you ask. I've been "stuffing" propers/hymns for five years now, didn't ask permission.
    I think not asking is a very positive approach. And that the pastor asked you to initiate this, how can you go wrong?
  • Claire H
    To clarify, bringing in the SEP (although just part of it) was something that I started doing, but that he likes and supports. He also likes the concept of working toward using the full version including the chanted psalm (he's a big lover of the Psalms). He just asked me to be sure there isn't anything incorrect about using both the proper text and other music back-to-back.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Since your pastor likes the Psalms so much, I think that, as soon as you have even one or two choir members capable of chanting the Psalm verses with you, then the two or three of you would do well to begin chanting them, too. That way, you'll all feel that the right thing is being done, and the rest of your choir will soon follow suit, so that the whole choir can chant the Psalm verses.

In the meantime, following an abbreviated Communion Antiphon and Glory Be with appropriate music for Communion will be just fine.