Unusual motion in tenths in COMMUNIO for 2nd Sunday of Advent
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The NOH organ accompaniment for the 2nd Sunday of Advent COMMUNION has "tenths" motion that I have never seen in all 3,000 pages (except for here).

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Not just tenths.

(la-ti)SOL LA(do) (do)TI DO
  • Word-painting? 'Jerusalem, arise!' Plus the fact that one always goes UP to Jerusalem, UP to the altar of God...double or triple word painting? The parts are also going up together, rather than the usual/preferred oblique or contrary motion--wouldn't want to be contrary as we go up to the Holy City/the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, but together, not in unison but in harmony.

"And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths."
  • DougS
    Several of my students analyzed this chant (without accompaniment) this semester and in their short papers they *all* independently remarked on the "text painting" of the rising line. It doesn't surprise me that the accompaniment supports it so strongly.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It doesn't surprise me that the chant melody rises, since that is the prevailing nature of Gregorian chant; however, the "ancient style" in the overall accompaniment of moving first inversion triads is a nice touch.