supporting the Sacred Music Program at FUS
  • JamJam
    (I know my other thread about this got axed with good reason--it was about rumours--but this is completely different.)

Anyone here have any experience with the Sacred Music program at Franciscan University of Steubenville? Met Dr. Weber or Dr. Keenan at Colloquium? etc.?

If you do, you'll know what an excellent program it is. If you've met either professor who help run it you'll know how amazingly hard they work to make it as beautiful as it is. This program was instrumental in bringing the Latin Mass to campus and to introducing generations of faithful Catholics, in subtle, small ways, to Sacred Music like what the CMAA supports. I bet I have this program to thank for the time when I saw the PBC for sale in the Franciscan bookstore, wedged between guitar books for Jesus rock. I was a small part of this program for a period of two years, where I *almost* came away with a Sacred Music minor... I was one class short, and couldn't really delay my graduation in order to grab it. (It was, of all things, a Gregorian chant class. I probably could have passed the finals if I took 'em, and I can read Gregorian Chant notation, but so it goes.)

This program is a small one, however. but it's been growing. I swear the Schola Cantorum Franciscana is, like, semi-pro now.

I was just wondering if CMAA members might be more interested in it, or maybe if people had kids they wanted to send somewhere for music they would want to hear about it. There's gotta be ways to partner up with it or make connections or... I don't even know. When I'm older and salaried and raising kids and whatever I might give money to it, personally, but I'm a recent graduate living from week to week on paychecks from a part-time job in a foreign country.

Just wondering if this crowd had much interaction with the program. I did a quick forum search and only found a few mentions of it (and a lot of them were by me when I was currently in the program or shortly before I joined.)

p.s. oh yeah, and is the colloquium gonna be in Pittsburgh a lot? Because sponsoring kids from this program to go to it (I knew one kid who really wanted to go but couldn't afford. I actually offered to pay for him myself 'cause I had a decent income at the time, but things happened and I don't think he ended up able to go anyway) might be a good kind of partnership.