First Weekend with Revised Settings
  • This past Sunday, my dad's parish began using the revised settings at the Mass where I usually sing. I must confess that I got a little lost with the ICEL Gloria, given that I do not read music and I spent most of my time trying to learn the SEP for the 27th Sunday. I resorted to the revised Gloria from "A New Mass for a Congregation". The Sanctus and the Memorial were easy enough. I rehearsed the settings with the congregation. Prior to singing, we read the Gloria together so that they could get comfortable with the words and then we sang each twice so that they faithful could get the hang of it.

When it came time to sing the actual prayers during their appointed time (I forgot to mention that this Mass has no accompaniment), nearly everyone sang. For me, this was an important moment, as we were finally praying the Ordinary (at least singing what we are allowed to sing) in the manner in which it was supposed to have been in the first place. I need to listen to the ICEL Gloria a few more times so that I can get it and teach it. Please know that I believe in chant, but, given my particular situation, I work with what I have.
  • miacoyne
    Hi, benedicgal. Does your parish introduce revised settings all at once? In our parish, Gloria was introduced first for a few weeks with lots of information about the new words in the bulletin as well as announcement from priest after each Mass. And this week, the Sanctus was introduced. In The bulletin , there was a great explanation under the title,' Welcoming the New Translation,' something like that. The priests in the parish worked really hard to educate people about the revised translation. They also gave series of classes on it also over the summer. So my point is that maybe consider introducing one part at a time and stay with it at least for a few weeks,(especially Gloria) so it's easier for the congregation to absorb as well as for the singers.
  • We did it all at once at my dad's parish. In my parish, it will be done all at once this coming Sunday! For me, I consider it an early birthday present!!!

In my case, it was actually quite easy. The Sanctus is a minor change, as is the second option in the Memorial Acclamation. The Gloria is the one that has a little more change to it.
  • miacoyne
    I feel that it's not just about singing the new music and words. The explanation of the changes has to be provided to the congregation and prepare them. This is also a good opportunity to help the congregation to understand the prayers of the Mass. I'm not sure how many people are ready for sudden changes. As you know average Sunday Mass goers are not like people in this forum who have high interest in the details of the Mass. I hope the priests in the parishes help the congregation to prepare for the changes.
  • We only introduced the "Holy" and "Mystery of Faith" (#2). It went OK. But we did not continue the triple, choral "Amen", and that was a problem. Printing the notes in the worship is not the answer, IMHO. The Missal has two options for the Presidential Prayers, just like it has for centuries. The congregation's response follows simple rules:

1. If the Celebrant is chanting back and forth on a major 2nd, AND he ends on the LOWER note, you chant "A-" on that note, then "-men" on that note going back up to the reciting note.

2. If the Celebrant is chanting back and forth on a minor 3rd, no matter which note he ends on (it should be the lower), you chant "Amen" on the upper (reciting) note.

3. If the Celebrant is all over the place, or on just one note, follow suit.

This covers all possibilities. There is nothing worse than printing the wrong notes for the "Amen."

N.B. The congregation/canto/choir should pick up on the tempo of the Celebrant's chant, and continue right on through the "Amen" with no appreciable slowing down.