Shrine goes with early implementation
  • The National Shrine today made a big announcement about early implementation, although this morning the only new text was the Memorial Acclamation. Instead of having the organ play it--an expansion of the usual organ introduction--the cantor sang it first, followed by the congregation.

The process was repeated for the Great Amen, although I am not sure why. Perhaps because instead of using the word "Amen," it now says, "Amen."

Okay, that was unfair. I'm still not sure why. The music is always printed in the leaflet.

Now, this may have been something I missed last week because I couldn't tell you the differences in the Glorias without a cheat sheet--knew it more in Latin--and today we chanted the new Gloria but no one mentioned it.as if we all should know it. (Confession time: I was late last week.) For some time, the Shrine has been using a fine planchant setting by John Lee, and that is easily adapted.

We usually chant the Dialogue, etc., so I assume those will be introduced step by step after today.

This is significant only in that Cardinal Wuerl and Msgr. Rossi are working very had to make the Basilica the fact of the Roman Liturgy in the US, which is fine: that's why the building was built. So the new settings will be broadcast on EWTN that way. But the Kyrie is often in Greek, the Agnus Dei almost always in Latin.

That and at least 50 percent of the typical congregation has no idea what the Mass in English really is, exactly.

I have not heard the Corpus Christi Watershed Psalms, but Peter Latona has been using chants that may all be classified as 'not Gelineau," and they have all been notable improvements. I agree with Jeffrey Tucker that I feel--for perhaps no good reason--that there is about to be a flowering of music in parishes. Call it the long ripening fruit of all those World Youth Days and the resonance with young people that the call of two Popes--Duc in Altum!!--has had.