Music is "depressing"
  • BruceL
    Folks, where is the consideration of acoustic? I could give you a variety of tempos, but they would depend more than anything on acoustic. Legato all the time is great, but not so much in seven seconds of reverberation. More marcato/tenuto style is okay in seven seconds, but not in three...or even one or two or none!
  • francis
    i have no comment on tempo of hymns (or any piece of music for that fact), except to say that i have never performed anything the same way twice in my entire career even when i tried my darndest to do so. tis the great mystery of being human and is further proof that only a machine can repeat a performance with such exactitude. it'd be like telling van gogh to paint another starry night-exactly like his first one. what's the point?

i will never play it like you and vice versa even if we try. no two snowflakes are exactly alike either. however, i do know a lot of flakes that all seem exactly alike to me.
  • miacoyne
    Claire,

Maybe you could start a small schola to sing Gregorian chant on Saturday Mass or quiet Sunday morning Mass if you have one? (Since I would think those are Masses with a smaller group of people, maybe this can be part of your baby step? starting it with some parts of the Mass.) I know this involves more time, but in my experience I found more and more people appreciating Gregorian chant this way. We have experienced changes in parishes we sing (which are mostly contemporary music parishes) We are a small schola, but we all experience the power of Gregorian chant. I just got another email from someone I don't know thanking for Gregorian chant our schola sang. And the former associate priest is also offering to do EF Mass on some Saturdays. To my surprise our pastor is willing to have it. I'm sure there are people in your parish who are quietly waiting to pray with the highest liturgical music that the Church kept over centuries in her liturgy.
  • francis
    was just watching

Aarnoud de Groen performing Johann Sebastian Bach's Fugue in a-minor, BWV 543 on the organ of Bethlehemkerk, The Hague

(am presently learning it myself).

One of his commenters said this:

Mozart and Beethoven belong to the world. Bach belongs to God. It is the most level-headed music there is.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    (A somewhat minor aside: I found upon coming there that the people all sing "We lift them up to the Lord" with an incorrect melody progression. It can be both amusing and bothersome at the same time... =)

Having grown up in Philadelphia, I discovered this geographic variant as an undergraduate in Pittsburgh. It seems that the tone used for this particular response in much of western PA (and who knows where else) is closer on the simple (ferial) response in Latin, while the one I grew up with in Philadelphia (that is, the one printed in the outgoing Sacramentary) is closer to the solemn tone (minus the quilisma).
  • Claire H
    SkirpR, that is interesting. I'm not sure if what they do here falls into one of those specifications, or is simply their own variation...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hi Francis,

...imagine the Masses we would have had from [a Catholic JSB].

A truly alarming speculation, since one would have to suppose they would be radically different from the Masses he actually wrote (or else they would only be heard regularly by pilgrims to Dresden): unison with theorbo chords and a congregational refrain! Seriously, what good have the cantata cycles done for Lutheranism? And what good has Haydn done for American parish churches?
  • francis
    Richard

Exactly.

Our Human Goodness, even at its best, is oftentimes, sadly, a stunning shroud that we insist on putting over the naked truth.

That is why WE have a much better solution about the best music for the Mass than what the Church sanctions herself.

Why do we prefer the polyphony of men and angels and the clanging cymbals when God just wants love singing through our simple voice?
  • BruceL
    (A somewhat minor aside: I found upon coming there that the people all sing "We lift them up to the Lord" with an incorrect melody progression. It can be both amusing and bothersome at the same time... =)

Having grown up in Philadelphia, I discovered this geographic variant as an undergraduate in Pittsburgh. It seems that the tone used for this particular response in much of western PA (and who knows where else) is closer on the simple (ferial) response in Latin, while the one I grew up with in Philadelphia (that is, the one printed in the outgoing Sacramentary) is closer to the solemn tone (minus the quilisma).

I'm so glad I'm not crazy! Keep in mind, I grew up in WV near PA, and this was the variant we always used at our choir Mass. I was a newly minted Catholic, so I didn't know the tones. Imagine my surprise to find it different elsewhere! Very neat.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This sort of thing (the regional melodic variation being discussed) REALLY makes me want to spend a few years doing serious musicological research into congregational practices across the U.S.
    I bet one would find all sorts of interesting things:
    -regional tempo preferences
    -repertoire breakdown
    -participation in congregational singing: variation by demographics and style
    -the real impact of Reform2 as well as other liturgical "movements"/trends
    -the fact that no parish that does "Be Not Afraid" sings the rhythm as written
  • BruceL
    Adam...yes, agreed...it would be a nice thing to be able to write a grant for that!
  • marajoymarajoy
    I have observed that the "We lift them up to the Lord" variant might be as a result of it being printed DIFFERENTLY in the various "missalettes" than in the Roman Missal!
  • francis
    Adam

We were rehearsing BNA last night, and I changed the rhythms to be all eighth/dotted quarters throughout. That is the most unsingable piece of $%^&*() I have ever seen.
  • francis
    Well, yall don't have to worry... we have a new Preface Dialogue now.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah- I don't know what he was thinking.
    Everyone sings it eighth/dotted-quarter. Why don't they just print the stupid thing that way?

On the plus side, it does allow the following to happen (really):

Parishioner: Hey- you like some of that old Catholic music, right?
    Me: Absolutely! Some of it's even appropriate for liturgy.
    Parishioner: I really like "Be Not Afraid."
    Me: I know what you mean.
    Parishioner: ...
    Me: It's a good song. Too bad we can't do it.
    Parishioner: Really? Why not?
    Me: Well... you can't sing it unless you already know it. And we're probably the only two people here who know it.
    Parishioner: We do new stuff all the time.
    Me: Yeah- but you can't learn that song.
    Parishioner: What do you mean?
    Me: How do you think it goes?
    Parishioner: um... mm.. (singing) You shall Crossssss the bar-rennn deserrrrt, but you shaaaal nnnot diiiiiieof thirst.
    Me: Right exactly. Except it's written like this: (singing) yushl craaaaaaaaws thebarennnnnnn dsrtt. butchuu shall. not. die......ofthrst
    Parishioner: Really?
    Me: Yeah- here- look at it.
    Parishioner: hmmm....
    Me: You try to teach that song to a bunch of people who don't already all know how it goes (the same wrong way), you end up with one third trying to sing it as written, one third trying to sing it like they think they remember it from 20 years ago, and the last third mumbling along completely confused. It's terrible. Trust me- I know.
    Parishioner: Oh well....
    Me: Yeah...
    Parishioner: ....
    Me: ....
    Parishioner: Do you know City of God?
  • BenBen
    Re: BNA

Seriously: listen to it. That's some crazy rhythms.
  • I love double dotted notes, especially in French overtures.

But seriously, what were they thinking?
  • "Everyone sings it eighth/dotted-quarter. Why don't they just print the stupid thing that way?"
    Indeed. Not everyone learns their Catholic hymnody through oral tradition. I'm constantly being stymied and confused by the difference between what's in the missalette and what is being performed.
    And yes, that tune sounds like a drone afflicted with spasms.
  • And yes, that tune sounds like a drone afflicted with spasms.

which is why I insist on performing it the way it's written.
  • Maureen
    Re: "Be Not Afraid", there is no such thing as "tempo as written" for that song, because the thing has been published with at least three substantially different versions of the melody (not to mention the lyrics changes). I've been singing in choirs long enough to remember all the different ways they've marked that puppy up with syncopations. The weirder they try to make it, the more like the Platonic ideal of "Be Not Afraid" that the congregation sings it.

(Well, actually most people are singing it as it was first distributed to them, when it apparently was published in a semi-sensible manner.)

Some composers should have the syncopation stick taken away from them, and then they should be hit with it. It's nothing but an insulting waste of choir time to do all this unnecessary and unartistic messing around with a perfectly good beat, especially since they wouldn't have to do it if they'd just wrestle some natural-sounding scansion into their lyrics. Like most professional songwriters routinely do, but which contemporary hymnwriters are apparently just too good for. Professionals should be paid for their craft first, their art close behind it, and their lazy excuses never -- much less have all these alternate editions running around.

Faugh. Yes, it bothers me a lot, especially since I expect to have to learn at least five more phrasings of that song before people stake it to the ground in a crossroads, burn it, and scatter the ashes to the four winds.

UPDATE: Honestly, I'm okay with the song, but I'm just up-to-here with futzing around with phrasing. The Eighties and Nineties were some kind of long national nightmare of hymnal publishing. At least when all we got were the words and guitar chords in the late Seventies, you just did it however your director said and you didn't have to pay extra when they changed interpretation on you.
  • I hope Liam or another long-toothed lion will cover my back on this one-
    Don't go down this road with BNA or the other early stuff. I played bass for the SLJ at NPM Chicago and when they did stuff in the East Bay area back in the day.
    You have to understand that way back then, all five of those guys were NOT anywhere near being "trained musicians" much less composers. In the case of BNA Dufford was just trying to approximate what he thought the rhythmic declamation was in his head; he just blew it, and then put it into a copyright. It's not worth discussing. Then Foley went off on a compositional sabbatical to learn the basics and bring them back into the group. And actually, I think that took away their inspiration for a while. Fuggedaboudit.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    and then put it into a copyright.

You mean I(dea) P(rison)?

If they own the copyright to the double-dotted half-caffe version, they own the rights to the single dotted double espresso with a twist.

I wrote a song a while ago, which I programmed for my choir.
    During rehearsal, my wife (not a musician) kept telling me I was playing it wrong.
    But it's what I wrote.
    Well, you wrote it wrong.

After rehearsal, we argued some more.
    I played it again.
    The piano part is wrong, she tells me.

More arguing.
    It can't go any other way- the chord progression is inherent to the melody line.
    Nope. You're wrong.
    It's my song!
    Doesn't matter!

Turns out I was wrong.
    When I finally landed on the progression my wife was imagining, but couldn't describe, it was painfully obvious that I was wrong and she was right.

I hope that if I had submitted that piece to a publisher (Jerry G... are you listening?... it's really good!) I would hope that someone, somewhere at the publishing company would have had at least as much musical intuition as my non-musically-trained wife, and either re-written the piano part themselves or called me up and asked me to send in another try.

My fondness for the SLJs and their music aside, I have to conclude:

Just sayin', yo.
  • You have to understand that way back then, all five of those guys were NOT anywhere near being "trained musicians" much less composers.

Then who wrote the organ/piano/keyboard accompaniment, much less do the engraving(s)? Certainly, someone had to have looked at the melody and thought, "... really?".
  • francis
    The only thing I am "afraid" of this side of heaven is THAT DAMN SONG!
  • JC, you have misconstrued what I said, and the comment is pedantic.
    The SLJs had a number of transcribers and arrangers, organists such as the inestimable St. Theophane Hytrek in their corners for years. I didn't say they didn't read nor write music, I said they weren't classicly trained. I've transcribed, along with Prof. Lynn Shurtleff, Bob Fabing SJ songs for decades, sometimes from scribbles and sometimes from recordings. Fabing reads music, he just doesn't possess the faculties to denote it precisely. And sometimes he's bristled when I said to him "really?" Luckily, in most cases he listened to reason. In the words of MIles Davis, "so what?"
    What I tried to say was that Dufford's itty bitty failure with the double dot eighths should not even be mentioned within a light year's difference of a French double dot in Mozart. This BNA rhythmic notation BS has been going on for years, get over it. Don't like the song, don't sing it.
    But for the Lord's sake, stop beating the damn horse about rhythm, it's dead fer cryin' out loud. You wanna kvetch about rhythm, argue over semiology. Yeesh.
  • CharlesW
    I always thought "Whistle a Happy Tune" had deeper theology behind it.
  • you have misconstrued what I said

I don't think so. You said:

all five of those guys were NOT anywhere near being "trained musicians" much less composers

I didn't say they didn't read nor write music

So, if you really know how to read/write music, then you'd really know what it'd sound like on paper.

Don't like the song, don't sing it.

Some of us don't have that luxury.

This BNA rhythmic notation BS has been going on for years, get over it.

I'll get over it when it's published correctly and everyone can agree on the written rhythm!

But for the Lord's sake, stop beating the damn horse about rhythm

I also don't like swearing.

Look, the issue is black and white and it's just annoying. I have a right to voice that, and I don't care if it's BS or beating a dead horse. Get over me not getting over it. You'd think after all these years of complaints they'd actually change it.
  • Okay, do carry on, JC, Francis et al. You know best. (God's on your side.)
    Despite y'all, in the Southern sense, I'm not losing my religion over your peccadillos, you carry on about your slavish adherence and precepts. Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities, JC. Maybe you also extend your admonition to dear Francis, who introduced the condemnatory, offending term to the thread.
    And don't worry, JC, I've been way over you for quite some time. Adios, amigo.
  • Okay, do carry on, JC, Francis et al. You know best. (God's on your side.)

And don't worry, JC, I've been way over you for quite some time. Adios, amigo.

*sigh*

Forum Etiquette Guidelines.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I apologize for bringing it up.
    I was trying to make a joke.

I still think an in-depth musicological study of real Catholic parish life (including the cataloging of these sorts of variations and "house rules") would be fascinating. Not that it's likely to happen.

Carry on with the chanting, please. We all do so much better when we sing more and talk less.
  • These folkies see to have exulted in their own ability to sing catchy tunes without regard to the concept that others would want to sing them and, as a result, by stymied by the difficulty presented by quirky phrasing.

It's like clown and Barney masses (Marajoy, how do you do a ) were different and, like the civil rights movement, which used music to move people, they caught on for a bit.

But, unlike uneducated African Americans who rallied people to their cause by singing quarter notes, these educated leaders in their minds of the faith distorted melodies to personalize them, the Frank Sinatra's of the church. It's always seemed a sort of snotty, thumb your nose style of composition. "It's my song, it doesn't scan, you have to add notes here and there and....

What were they thinking? They let their zeal for the faith as they saw it overcome totally any consideration for the impact of the !@#$ music (insert your own age-appropriate term there...in Englewood, TN it is "Golly, bum!" and I am not kidding you) that they were scribbling on something.

It would be nice to blame it in drugs. "They all must have been high on marijuana when they wrote it." No, I've know composers who wrote under the influence and when they came, cough, cough, out of the haze, it was either brilliant or !@#$.

BUT....they could tell the difference.

Who can recompose We Shall Overcome into the broken down music style of the Catholic 70's.

Yes, I know that Catholics were exulting in beginning to delve into the scriptures and finding gorgeous verbiage....but, !@#$, did they, uneducated in music, have to try and sing it?

Done. Asking Oscar to move over and give me a little more room in the garbage can. "Clank."

"Clank." Wearing the raincoat, there's one last thing. How do we prevent the total destruction of Catholic music from happening again?
  • "These folkies see to have exulted in their own ability to sing catchy tunes without regard to the concept that others would want to sing them "
    Eh, no. The essence of folk is for other people to sing them.
    But we have "star syndrome". Neo-folk artists have certain vocal stylings that they apply to their material. They are things that don't notate well. Even the most accurate lead sheets don't get it all down. And when we try to sing from them, we bog down in the detail. Imagine transcribing a typical pop diva's attempt at the Star-Spangled Banner and then teaching it to people as "the" SSB. It would not fly. which is why we need regularized versions of these things. And if people don't find them appealing because "they don't sound like the original", then maybe we should cop to the fact that the original was musically weak.

As for it "happening again"... the 60s/70s were the only time in Catholic Church music where music was performer-driven. Yes, all the old masters performed. But there's a limit to how much you can ornament a line of polyphony, even singing one-on-a-part. Co-composition occasionally happened (the Allegri Miserere is probably the most famous example), but ultimately, somebody set the notes down first. And with old folk hymns, the oral transmission process rubbed the sharp edges off. With the advent of recordings and semi-star performers, there was "an authoritative version" on record, which soon entered print, which meant that the folk process couldn't effectively iron out the kinks. Now, are we likely to ever have again the "perfect storm" of popular folk performers PLUS a complete change in the language and pattern of the Mass? I don't think so.
  • Folk music is easy to sing because the edges have eben worn down over the years, removing the quirks and foibles, giving us simple melodies.

Folkies is a derogatory term.

Bob Dylan, seen by some as an obnoxious Minnesota Jewish kid started out who singing folk sings, was true to the songs.

Folkies are people who write folk songs. They are like Jumbo Shrimp.
  • francis
    Wow... what the heck is going on here! I think we all blew a fuse somewhere... I am going to go back to the breaker box and reset the switch. Meanwhile, let's all just join together and chant the Ave Maria, since this is Our Lady's feast day. Ready?...
  • Claire H
    Yikes...blew a fuse is right! I never intended for the thread to go in this direction.

If possible, can we please refocus on the issue of the original post?
  • Fabing reads music, he just doesn't possess the faculties to denote it precisely.

It's called basic music skills. He who is unable or unwilling to do learn them would seem to lack the impetus to be a musician and should probably hire someone more talented and educated than himself to....oh. That's what he did.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Claire...

Getting them to sing hymns is a good start - especially if they have become anesthetized to the the 60s, 70s, 80s and subsequent usurping of music at Mass. Perhaps an excellent hymn such as "Lift high the cross" is too unfamiliar to most there (it was, after all, originally an English hymn in the Anglican tradition - nor originally taken up by Catholics until relatively late). If they really aren't into singing hymns in a traditional style - start them out on things many of them are sure to know, such as "Alleluia! sing to Jesus", "Holy God, we praise Thy Name", and Marian hymns such as "Hail Holy Queen" - you get the idea. First, get them singing again with the hymns they heard and sang long ago - then gradually introduce excellent hymns, such as "Lift high..." and "Come down, O Love divine"...

I'm glad you called us back to the original point of this thread, and I wish you all the best luck in getting your people to sing.

Chuck