Music is "depressing"
  • As I've mentioned in a few other threads I've begun, I am 6 months into directing the music program at a parish that is not exactly cooperative to my efforts. Here's my biggest question just now: how do we help retrain appetites so people actually can recognize music that is prayerful, sacred and beautiful?

The former "director" used keyboard midi files and, from what I understand, had a highly upbeat/contemporary style. I try to select meaningful, classic hymns from "Worship" and from the WLP missalette (making use of what's in the pews currently), but am finding out more and more how very attached the people here are to the "Gather" music. And I'm talking all ages.

I spoke with a lady this morning who runs a business and therefore hears comments from many parishioners, and she said the overwhelming complaint she gets is, "The music is so sad. We leave Mass depressed."

And I'm sitting here thinking, "How can you find something like 'Lift High the Cross' depressing?!"

The only thing I can equate it to is a generation raised on candy. So much so that that's all the taste they have left -- real food no longer means anything to them. They've also been hoodwinked into the mentality that a "good" Mass means how good *I feel* walking out of it.

I never anticipated such emotional stubbornness. I'm trying to approach it prudently, prayerfully, and with a willingness to take baby steps toward improvement, but some moments (and days!) I feel absolutely frustrated at the all-powerful reign of emotion and opinion. And I've realized that my concept of a baby step and a baby step to a community like this are two differently-sized things.
  • Mike R
    I wonder whether starting with classic hymns played with contemporary instrumentation would be a good first step. Hymns like "Come Down, O Love Divine" and "All Creatures of Our God And King" can sound pretty good with piano and strings.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Fascinating. And probably very familiar to lots of people here.

Two questions come to mind… first, do you have the support of your pastor? What does he say about this? Could he support through catechesis efforts? And second, are there multiple Mass times at your parish? Would there be an opportunity to provide different styles for different Mass times? (Not that that would be ideal at all, but it might be the only way at this point to make any progress whatsoever.)

Looking forward to the thoughtful comments that this thread is sure to inspire. Thanks for sharing this, Claire.
  • I can sympathize, Claire. We started the missal chants and that's the most common complaint I get. Do you ever sing the Our father or preface dialogues? I have found that a good reply is to ask "well, we chant the Our Father and the preface dialogue, do they sound like a funeral dirge to you? No? well that is music, like the missal chants, is not trying to entertain us or make us feel good, but to unite us in simple, sung prayer." Hang in there and be patient!
  • I'm glad you brought this up. This is a hugely important issue. I'm not sure that I have the answer really. It was pretty clear in the 1960s and 1970s that the upbeat contemporary music didn't match the liturgy. One had to go. Over time and in many places, the liturgy adapted to accommodate the music, and you can tell this from the way people comport themselves in general. Eventually over time, many people have gotten used to this. They want hopped up music to take the "edge" out of the Mass text and to provide a kind of buffer between themselves at the real action on the altar.

I've seen this again and again. When people say that they want toe-tapping, upbeat, contemporary music, they are really saying: "we need music that will permit us to avoid serious thought about the actual meaning of the liturgy and otherwise make the sacrament easier to deal with."

This poses a serious problem for those of us who believe that the Roman Rite ought to be permitted to speak for itself. The truth is that many people don't want this to happen, and this precisely why they want to cover it up with every manner of musical distraction, among other accoutrements. Sacred music makes the truth of the liturgy more clear, and this is a major reason why people might resist it. The faith makes them uncomfortable. Church makes them uncomfortable. Religion and all that it demands makes them uncomfortable.

This is especially true among a generation of older people who think that if we let the faith speak for itself, the young people will leave in droves. So they want to give to religion to the kids the same way we might give heart medication to dogs. We cover up the pill in something yummy so that they will swallow it without noticing. We might call it the "spoonful of sugar" approach to liturgy.

The problem is that eventually all you are really giving people is sugar and no substance. When the substance inadvertantly pops up from time to time, people get scared and depressed and think something has gone very wrong.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass closer to a funeral or a wedding?
  • So what's wrong with being depressed? They ARE sinners, after all. And if it were not for the Sacrifice on the Cross, they'd really have something to be depressed about. I bet they want a crucifix with Jesus' arms reaching out to them (instead of, you know, him hanging from them) with a skylight right above is so it's all lit pretty. (Seriously, I saw that once.)
  • miacoyne
    I don't know this is helpful, but I'll share a small story that happened last week.

We have a new priest from Anglican church in the parish where our schola sings. He sang the Preface (with the preceding dialogues) in the most beautiful way I ever heard (except Fr. Kirby last year at the Colloquium.). After his heavenly singing with all his heart and mind and voice, I heard the congregation singing Sanctus in the most prayful way also. You can tell the whole congregation was moved. I was truly in heaven with the joy of tears. The priest, chant, Holy Mass...something we can't ever forget in our life.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • JT's comment nails it: I've actually cross-posted it on FB.
  • Liam
    First thing: you won't find a durable working answer if your perspective towards their perspective comes from a place of condescension. You have to change that (the good new is, it's the one thing that is completely within your control - stubborness is a two-way street here!).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Blaise
    If you have a supportive pastor, may I suggest an introductory (before you start delving into heavier material) Latin Mass which is not depressing? And the introductory motet (at least the one which comes on my CD sung by the Westminister Cathedral Choir), I think, was written for All Saints' Day, so, with the support of the pastor, you could prolly use it as a prelude to the opening hymn or introit (actually, I think it is the introit).

How about Tomas Luis de Victoria's "Missa O Quam Gloriosum"? While I am not a music major or director, I do not think this setting of the Holy Mass of the Latin Church is in a minor key, and it most certainly seems to sound "glorious" to me.

Educate the faithful, yes, but perhaps we can meet them in the middle somehow (insomuch as not giving them something "depressing", at least not immediately)? Then you could try some of the above tactics, such as using strings for some well known pieces, like "All Creatures of Our God and King" or something.
  • Paul, you are right, and there are plenty of bright and energetic chants too. But what this consumer demand seeks is not that. What it seeks is the bubble gum gospel sound, the feel-good stuff you hear on the radio. No matter how brightly and energetically you sing sacred music, it will never be that. If you have people in the pews with an aversion to prayer and don't want to think about God, we have a fundamental problem. Again, I don't have the answer to this issue except to say that it is something we've inherited and must overcome.
  • "If you have people in the pews with an aversion to prayer and don't want to think about God"
    I don't think I would dare to say that, myself. I can't know what's in people's hearts, but it seems logical that if people didn't want to pray and think about God, they wouldn't go to a place where all you do is pray and think about God. Even if they're just going to fulfill their obligation, they still feel obligated. But that and the 10 commandments is about all they think God expects of them.

The problem is in how they think about God. There's an idea, imported from Protestantism (also found in modern American neo-paganism) of God as your best friend. Which, yeah, He is, but people don't maintain the relationship; they don't treat God like they treat their friends. My wife is my best friend; I treat her lovingly, which leads her to treat me more lovingly, which inspires me to be better to her, in a feedback loop. If one of us quit doing that, it would make the whole enterprise much harder, and the quality of everything we do together would suffer. I take her needs and desires seriously. Now, God is not going to change. But we did. The Church got rid of that scary old guilt-riddled pre-V2 culture. "Our" God (forgive the collectivism) would never hurt us. We're in the Church, so we're not going to Hell. He wouldn't ask us to risk social disapproval, net alone martyrdom. He won't stop loving us, so we can stop loving HIm. "Our" God is good-time Charlie, fun to hang with, who'll buy us a drink if we're broke, but we don't have to reciprocate. We've trivialized the notion of Deity.And a bubblegum God is best praised with bubblegum music. Say "Lord Lord" and the Skittle-dropping unicorn will jump the rainbow and lay His head in your lap. It's not that people don't want a relationship with God; it's that they don't want to be changed by God.
    They don't want an awesome God with awesome music, because awe is life-changing.
  • This seemed illustrative of both Jeffreys' larger observations.

THE CUSTODIAN

Sometimes I think I have lived
    My whole life like that old janitor
    Who locked up after the rabbi
    And patrolled the synagogue at night.

He never learned the Hebrew prayers,
    Which he hummed under his breath
    As he folded the soiled tallises
    And stacked the skullcaps into piles.

He opened the Holy Ark by hand
    And dusted off the sacred scrolls,
    O Lord, which he never opened,
    And cut the light behind the organ.

He ignored the Eternal Lamp
    (Woe to the worker who unplugged it!),
    As he vacuumed the House of Prayer
    Muddied by the congregation.

Not for him the heavenly choir music
    Or the bearded sermon handed down
    From the lectern, though stars squinted
    Through the stained-glass windows.

Every now and then he’d sigh
    And stare up at the domed ceiling
    As if he had heard something auspicious,
    But it was only the wind in the trees.

He picked a prayer book off the floor
    And carried it down to the basement,
    Where he chewed on a sandwich
    And listened to a ballgame on the radio.

-Edward Hirsch

The Living Fire: New and Selected Poems (2010)
  • Steve Reich: Beethoven was a great, great composer, whom I admire enormously. But for me, music history basically begins with Gregorian chant then goes to the end of 1750 with the death of Johann Sebastian Bach. Then it goes on without me paying much attention until Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Bartok and so on. The entire classical and Romantic period is filled with geniuses that I don't listen to and from whom I've learned absolutely nothing.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15419743,00.html

This seems appropriate for this discussion.
  • Gee, FNJ, I hope you didn't count out the Russians cause I needs my Prokofiev! I think also the "collectors" such as VW, Holst, Smetana, Dvorak et al brought a great deal to the banquet.
    And how do manage to vote Wolfie off the island circa 1750? Or the other B, the big German guy who wrote a "requiem?"
  • I believe it was Reich voting people off the island.
  • lol
  • Liam
    And let's not forget folks like Dom Guéranger, whose work was in some important ways influenced by the currents of his own time.
  • Claire,

First of all - don't lose hope!
    I (and venture to say, many others here) have a similar situation, and I am encouraged by all of the responses and help given here.

Sometimes, I like to think of my job as venturing into "missionary territory." And honestly, that's what it is! We are dealing with a generation of people who 1. have little to no music education, and 2. little to no Catechizing. This creates a very challenging situation in which to "evangelize."

It is especially frustrating when you realize you are dealing with people who are not only uneducated, but have also never truly heard beautiful music. I could not believe that most of my choir members [let alone the average parishioner] had zero knowledge of some of the most "well-known" chants (Ubi Caritas or Adore Te Devote), let alone a Palestrina Mass. And forget about experiencing those things live. In other words, it is a huge challenge to convince people of the wonders of something they are "not missing" in the first place! It provides a small glimpse into how the early (and current) Christian missionaries must have felt bringing the Gospel Truth burning in their hearts to those without a clue. Therefore, it is those of us who have experienced the absolute beauty, transcendence and truth of such music that bear the responsibility of sharing this with everyone else, despite its rejection by some. When people say they "don't feel moved" by "classical" music or chant and would rather hear euphemistic feel-good folk songs, I would beg the question, "have you ever truly experienced good and beautiful music?" There is no way you can NOT BE MOVED by any hearing of Renaissance polyphony or even good classic hymns (which I like to refer to as a "gateway drug" into the earlier repertoire of the Church). No one enters the Sistine Chapel and rolls their eyes. There is TRUTH (not to mention awe and wonder of God's majesty) to be found in AESTHETIC BEAUTY.

Although I agree with the "spoonful of sugar" analogy, I tend to think the problem lies not so much in a diet of candy, but rather, a diet of sustaining (albeit) bland staples that people have grown "accustomed" to. They have grown so used to eating the same foods every day, and are living just fine, so there is little motivation to reach beyond this mediocre fare. Some may say that chant and "classical" music are acquired tastes, but I feel once someone gets a taste of this sweet, seemingly exotic desert (well-crafted, of course, as this can make or break its reception), they will come back for more. Think about it: for most of us, we had a "first encounter," and wanted more. [Unless of course you were one of the fortunate few born into this tradition.] I shudder to think that if I had not had gradual exposure and nourishment throughout my academic career, I too might still be singing the praises of guitar-driven folk ballads.

So Claire - (sorry for being long-winded) continue to persevere and press on with what you are doing! You will encounter opposition, but so did every saint, martyr, doctor of the Church, etc. Press on!
    Remember "For in fire gold is tested, and the chosen, in the crucible of humiliation." -Sirach 5
  • Reich wrote it, it was way beyond my level of thought and understanding!
  • ghmus7
    Mr. Tucker, your comments are very insightful.

I wonder if some catechisis might help. Perhaps a note in the parish bulletin-

"Recently at ....... parish, you may have noticed that we have been incorporating changes in the music as Mass. We are trying to mould our music into a more faithful response to what the church asks of us in the liturgy. (here include short quote form a document?)
    Sometimes,at first being faithful to what the church ask of us can be difficult. But, we are promised that is we are faithful, God will bring good fruit from our efforts. Thank you for for your patience!"

Or words to that effect
  • How I wish that such a strategy would play out so simply. But I believe we live in a social and political climate that is typified by this catch-all word, "gridlock." Folks nowadays seem to immediately gravitate to extremes, even with issues such as repertoire choices for Mass(es). You'll have the "Saul Alinsky" populists at the left pole who won't budge an inch, even in the face of a whole congregation chanting a Kyrie, and insist that people will only sing "what they know," which actually means "what, I, the people's champion knows." That boils down to a ubiquitous list of usual "suspects." On the other hand you find a quieter, yet fervant bunch who secretly confess to a DM that they love the reintegration of the "old chants" (SEP!) but feel isolated or ostracized from each other and the vast middle of PIPs, and the last thing they want to do is bother Father. And then, in the middle, are the Mary Jane Ballou crew, the immovable throng of the disinterested who prefer just to watch and tolerate whatever latest innovation or improvement the "experts" run up the flagpole at Mass. Bulletin announcements are for the extremes, proof of a tyranny they wish would go away, and for the muddled middle, birdcage lining.
    I again concur with both Tucker and Quick that this doesn't represent a dissatisfaction and disease with "music," but with the essence and attributes of worship itself. People don't know what they want, or better, need from worship. Just change the word "worship" to "government" and we see the same dynamics pasted all over the media daily. I wish that there was a magic pill (there actually is, I'll get to that in a second) that could impart Tucker's wild optimism among all the faithful.
    I think the one action DM's can take that do have a positive effect is to regularly schedule events like "hymn-sings" or "Mass setting sings" where those PIPs who are interested from whatever quarter can get deeper inside the discerning process.
    But moreso, I really believe that liturgical effectiveness ironically lies within each priest-celebrant's ability to provide a clear and unaffected view of how awe-ful (Quick's apt term) worship actually is. Whether the celebrant takes a Jonathan Edward's "fire and brimstone" exhortational style, or a Scott Hahn enthusiastic, beatific approach, is immaterial. People need their noodles shaken and tossed, to realize that heaven is right before them at Mass, not awaiting them in the barcalounger afterwards when they get home to "the game." And they need to know that the magic pill, isn't magic; it's the very Body of the Lord with which they ought to approach with love, and fear and trembling. I dunno....
  • WGS
    Charles in CenCA,

Your mention of "hymn-sing" brought to mind the tradition in various Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, etc. congregations of having a "hymn-sing" scheduled for the fifth Sunday of any month. Of course, the schedule would have to be tempered to accommodate Christmas, Easter, holidays, etc., but it sounds like fun. - especially if there's a pot-luck supper before, after or in-between singing sessions.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • marajoymarajoy
    Is it possible that you are simply playing the hymns too slow? That would most certainly give the impression of "sadness," even in "Lift High."

My personal opinion is that the reason most congregations breathe every 2 bars is that the hymns are too slow (and so the untrained singer has to!), and of course that causes them to think they're depressing.
  • Is it possible that you are simply playing the hymns too slow?

What would be too slow? For example, "Alleluia! sing to Jesus" around quarter = 120 feels about right.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Alleluia, Sing to Jesus at 120bpm?
    Snooze-ville.
    Try it at 138 or so.

Or even better, play it in one at dotted-half in the mid 60s.

(Of course, all that is subject to your building, your organ, and your people...)

"Because I know how much Jesus loves to rock."
    -Steve Martin in A Leap of Faith
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Make that quarter = 108, and then it's about right ... and about 54 seconds per stanza.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Actually....
    Here's the thing I just realized in singing that with a metronome, and thinking about my own experience.

Even 108 isn't too slow... IF YOU STAY THERE.

Assuming you don't get ridiculous (like quarter note = much less than a hundred on that tune), the thing that makes hymns sound draggy and depressing isn't the tempo exactly, but the deceleration over time.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I would play "Alleluia Sing to Jesus" around quarter note=120.
    But let's use the example at hand...what about Lift High?

(I don't have the music in front of me, but assuming the first note is a half note, which I think it is,) I would play it about half note = 76?
  • Liam
    Each with quarter note = 132, but felt in one or two, not three or four, respectively.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    132 feels right for Hyfrydol.
    126 feels right for Crucifer.
  • Did I wander into an auction?
    That's exciting!
    You say what? "It's selling hymn tempi."
    Oh, that's depressing. Bye.
    ;-(
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Come, Charles... join the auction.
  • So ... the same hymn ... a million different tempos, from 108-180+bmp.

Very subjective.

And no, my tempo is not snooze-ville.
  • IanWIanW
    Missing variable: Processional or recessional? If the former, slow & majestic, if the latter, fast & scampering (the bar beckons).
  • Kathy
    It's not so much how fast or slow, but how much the bass line moves.
  • But a lot has to do with the people singing. Can they get through a musical phrase (often also a grammatical phrase) without needing a breath? If they/we are to comprehend the text in order to enhance our worship experience, then the music to which the text is set needs to make sense also. Longer hymns in longer meters, like "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name", if taken too slow a breath only takes care of four syllables, except for the most practiced of singers. "Lift High the Cross" makes sense for those first four syllables, and then a short breath.
  • GavinGavin
    A lot of talk about hymns. Not one word about propers.

Here's what I don't get: if the propers are necessary, why invest the capital in traditional hymns vs folk songs? It seems to me it'd be better to replace the Offertory or Communion with the proper chant rather than getting people angry about Hyfrydol - which is not part of the Mass anyway.
  • Steve's point is salient, particularly in light of Claire's mention of CRUCIFER. CRUCIFER's "refrain" is perfectly wed to the text, even with the lengthening of "world" and "adore." However I do think that Steve's point about the syllabic flow is at issue with the verses I can't really put my finger upon, but it's undeniably tied to its Anglican, veddy high church DNA that I could understand how Americans would find "stodgy" or peculiarly British, akin to the almost visceral reaction JERUSALEM elicits from UK congregations.
    Personally, again I offer this isn't about tempi, bass movement or even melody. (ie."Melody," how could one call SUO GAN "depressing" based upon its melody? But I'm sure some folk would gleefully, ignorantly do just that!)
    This whole schmeer is about egotism and a false ecclesiology based upon American exceptionalism. (Did I just say that?) Doesnt' everyone know that Mass, as well as everything else that happens on the planet is about "Me?" So, if "I" say your music is depressing you darn well better jump to it because I said so, end of discussion.
    Yeah, right.
    Okay, marvelous mavens of mighty music, all we're ever gonna sing every doo-dah day is "The King of Glory." Happy now?
  • IanWIanW
    JERUSALEM. Oh Charles, I wish you hadn't said that. It's doing all sorts of things to my cultural receptors. Mmmmm...
  • Well, I wouldn't put Hyfrydol during Offertory or Communion, anyway.
  • Ian, the prosecution rests!

The water is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, I cannot cross oooooooooooooooooooo'er.
  • Blaise
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "hymn-sing"?
  • chonakchonak
    It's a gathering that consists of hymn-singing by the congregation, sometimes with the addition of choir anthems, solo songs, or prayers. It's sort of a precursor of praise-'n'-worship.
  • Kathy
    Or an outgrowth of Lessons-'n'-Carols...
  • Wow, it is something to watch conversation take off! Thank you very much for the encouragement and insight, and even a few laughs. :) Keep it going, please!
  • Claire,

If I may add to this comment list on tempi - I have no idea how you do things, so this is not aimed at your personal style in any way.

I do think it's worth considering not only tempo but touch, phrasing, registration, and so forth when your hymn playing is accused of being 'depressing'. I have had several situations where I deflected such accusations by simply upping the tempo or pulling on the 2 foot level or a mixture in addition to the 8s and 4s. In particular, I think the American school of hymn playing tends to overemphasize legato - largely due to a protestant ethos with generally smaller buildings and drier rooms (cue the wild controversy with that comment!). On the other hand, many excellent musicians that I have worked with (think major archdiocesan and cathedral music directors) have taught me to have a more open touch in hymn playing. I think the result is a brighter sound, with more clarity of rhythm - rather than covering every second with sound, this approach opens up in order to let the rhythmic motion come through. This is true within phrases, and especially in giving a clear upbeat at the end of each measure, leading into the downbeat of the next. With practice, open touch in no way detracts from lyrical playing - after all, this is how organists play Bach and other earlier composers. I tell my students to think of Bach when they play hymns - give a clear sense of rhythm and line to the listener.

I think what turns many people away from hymns and organ music in general is this sense of a muddy wash of sound - much of this is really indistinct playing on the organist's part rather than a fault of the listener. In bridging the gap with more rhythmic sacred songs (even piano music without the bongos is rhythmic in nature - the piano is a percussion instrument) it is critical to show clear metrical organization in organ playing. Bright registration and clear rhythm can be a big help. I have to say, in many cases I have heard hymn playing that I would class as 'muddy' or even 'depressing' - even if I agree with the choice of repertoire.

On a side note, it can be a great discussion and criticism deflecting tool to talk about all of the varied aspects that contribute to the affect of music on the organ - registration, phrasing, tempo, touch, accent, etc. For example, if someone comes up and accuses you of playing depressing music, you can respond: "thank you for letting me know it seemed depressing. I am new here and getting used to the space and instrument - it may help if I change registrations or perhaps open up my touch a bit. Did you know that through the history of organ playing there have been many different levels of touch? In fact, it can be helpful to think of a spectrum, from over-legato all the way to super-staccato. Here, it will be easier if I demonstrate some different touches for you..."

At this point, your accuser will be running for the exit in a panic, and will probably never bother you again. Or, they may actually be interested in learning something. When you start to discuss such technical aspects, it shifts the focus from repertoire to the technique of music making - a very helpful way I've found to divert criticism. Many people are honestly taken aback and made curious by the thought that repertoire is not the only aspect of music making that can affect them. If you want to be especially subversive, you can start to play the folksy songs slower and slower - then counter with a complaint to the complainers. Tell them you think those folk songs are just dragging and depressing - and then demonstrate! If you play this game well, you can rattle their whole worldview of music. They usually don't know enough about music to understand what is going on, and you can use the confusion to make the traditional hymnody seem more exciting than the old stuff. As another tactic, sometimes I'll just use piano for the folk songs about death and sacrifice, as contrasted with triumphal traditional hymnody.

Beat them at their own game!
  • To respond to some of the questions asked above (I can't figure out how to do the quotation boxes; would someone be so kind as to enlighten me?)

1. "Two questions come to mind… first, do you have the support of your pastor? What does he say about this? Could he support through catechesis efforts? "

Yes, the Pastor is overall quite supportive (he hired me), but he is also a first-time pastor and a lot of complaining and negativity can weigh on him (I think I mentioned this in another thread). He is a gentle (not aggressive) leader, which is a good thing, but can also include not taking quite as emphatic a stance on certain things.

2. "And second, are there multiple Mass times at your parish? Would there be an opportunity to provide different styles for different Mass times? (Not that that would be ideal at all, but it might be the only way at this point to make any progress whatsoever.)"

There are multiple Masses, but because we are a small parish continuity between Masses is important, I believe. I can see where this approach might appease some, but honestly I could see it contributing to further division/fragmentation. Right now part of my job description is to select the music so that it is used for all three English Masses.

3. "Do you ever sing the Our father or preface dialogues?"

Our Father, no, but our pastor is an eager chanter of his parts of the Mass, so the dialogues are sung frequently. (A somewhat minor aside: I found upon coming there that the people all sing "We lift them up to the Lord" with an incorrect melody progression. It can be both amusing and bothersome at the same time... =)

4. "Is it possible that you are simply playing the hymns too slow?"

I try not to. I realize that a hymn played too slow can be heavy, and that recessional especially requires a tempo conveying zeal. ;)

5. "I wonder if some catechisis might help. Perhaps a note in the parish bulletin"

I actually wrote a series of "Music Q&A" articles in the bulletin. Not sure how many actually read them, but I did try to provide some positive explanation.

6. "Missing variable: Processional or recessional?"

"Lift High the Cross" (example mentioned) was a recessional.

7. "A lot of talk about hymns. Not one word about propers. Here's what I don't get: if the propers are necessary, why invest the capital in traditional hymns vs folk songs?"

A fast move like eliminating songs/hymns and replacing them with propers would be utterly rejected if done all at once (especially at a place like this). For the time being, we are confined to the hymnals in the pews, so it's been a case of trying to make best use of what is available/possible right now. I've just been very surprised how many classic, theologically and melodically solid hymns -- that I thought anyone and everyone must be at least familiar with -- are apparently foreign to many people here.

A few more factors that contribute to the overall challenge of this particular community:

1. They've undergone several changes in pastoral and musical leadership in the span of a few years. This causes them to be very wary, slow to trust those now on the staff because most of us haven't been there very long. This is the kind of parish where you're a newbie unless you grew up here...

2. Although there were individuals having the title of "music director" in the past, for at least a decade or so it seems like direction in this area was actually quite minimal. There were a few small groups of musicians very used to self-sufficiency, picking and doing their own music (mostly from Gather) and no one really telling them what to do or teaching them new things.

3. We have very few musicians. Honestly, among our singers we have only about 4 individuals (3 women and 1 man) who actually read music and have voices strong enough/skilled enough to lead, cantor, or solo. And none of these four have any training/experience of the style needed for chant to be done well. There are others who come sing but have very little vocal ability beyond holding a tune...so any major works would be entirely beyond our resources as they are now.

4. Prior to my coming, there were never practices (except probably for Christmas and Easter). Just trying to get singers to come out once a week to prepare the upcoming Sunday's music has been a hurdle.

5. Up to a few months ago, there was no organ (only a piano and a keyboard). We moved the keyboard out and made space for a small, simple organ donated (it used to be a theater organ, I believe). It's not bad and is a step up just having an organ at all, but naturally doesn't provide many options for settings, etc. I accompany using this instrument, but my voice is my primary instrument so I'm not able to add much "color" via the organ playing (although the above comment made many excellent points on this aspect!).

5. I thought complaints about the music originally centered around implementing use of some simple Latin chant ordinaries (also mentioned in another thread), but it's been more recently that I realized the unrest extended rather strongly beyond that.
  • This was a good and valid point made near the beginning of the thread...

"First thing: you won't find a durable working answer if your perspective towards their perspective comes from a place of condescension. You have to change that (the good new is, it's the one thing that is completely within your control - stubborness is a two-way street here!)."

Apologies if my initial post came across with a condescending spirit. When interacting/dialoguing with the community (including those with opposing stances) I try very hard not to communicate disrespect or condescension. In general, I'm not a person who get frustrated easily... although I suppose here I felt safe letting the guard down and venting a bit on a day when the negativity coming at me seemed to be rather exacerbated. :)
  • francis
    wow noel...

that is an incredible statement to make about an entire era in musical developement... actually, a series of them! saying it very simply, it all became progressively more and more human and less and less divine finding its destination at the opera, bafoonery, sillyness, excesiveness and self indulgence. so much for musica sacra!

i t kind of echoes my own sentiments which i have spoken of in other threads about the classicists and romantics... music that has some kind of vaccuum that does not emote an intellect, sense of direction, or growth and moving forward... seemingly a preoccupation with emotions, feelings, and technical gymnastics that drags along the genius... backwards really. kind of like someone talking a thousand miles a minute with not much to say. for me, their center is not so much in God but more in self. its kind of like sitting in a room where someone has dumped out a bottle of perfume. i cant sit there very long without being overwhelmed with the trauma of it all and to no benefit to the soul. a fabrication made entirely to impress the nose and nothing else. this was the huge error of the enlightenment... it should have been called the coming of darkness, not light.

make no mistake, however... darkness is powerful and can be very enticing and all enveloping. wagner is indeed a cult unto its own. could the fruit of it have been the revolutions and world war? wagner was the music who shaped hitler. (following on platos philosophy that music precedes and shapes culture that follows)

i too learned nothing from anything beyond bach until the arrival of stravinsky and forward. bach is not stuck in an era... he superceded time and style and developed counterpoint to where no one else has ever come close. his art will never be old, sound old or go out of style... it truly was a greAt travesty that he was not a composer in the faith... imagine the Masses we would have had from him. humanity let him down by adopting the superfulous in place of the supernatural and protestantism instead of Catholicism. we failed to carry him into the bossom of the Church and music became fatherless when he died. and if i dare carry that thought to its logical platonic conclusion, that is why the Church is also fatherless and society has lost the sense of fatherhood and family. yes, music can certainly be depressing! but joined to the Mass, it attains the ultimate call to beauty and dispels the greatest darkness, because light will always overcome the darkness and sadness and crying will be no more.

now all that said, can we really be surprised about the silly music having wandered back into the Church and is filling the void? who is to blame? us musicians will have a lot of 'splainin' to do on judgement day.