Philosophical discussion
  • Kathy
    MaryAnn,

Since you work in an EF parish, of course your big questions are whether to sing one Gregorian ordinary or another. When I plan EF Masses, my concerns are similar to yours (though at a much lower level of execution on the polyphony--your choir is outstanding!) In most OF parishes, despite the best efforts of Rice, Tucker, etc., there are 3-5 hymns sung per Mass per weekend. In my setting, I make a minimum of 12 hymn decisions, in three languages, per weekend. Triple all of that for a multiplex parish gig like Charles'. Talking about hymns is not a "distraction," it's a help. Why are these helpful threads constantly being diverted?

About the original question: in the early 90s I took a series of liturgy classes. One of the teachers showed a chart in which the emotional content of the different aspects of the Mass was shown by the length of a bar in a graph. Moments in the Mass with a low level of dynamism had a short bar, moments with a high level of dynamism had a long bar. The Alleluia and the Amen had the longest bars. In some big Cathedral Masses, I have heard this sort of graphic design played out with volume levels. For those long bar moments, here comes the timpani!

I don't think this is an authentic High Church tradition, but more of a High-Church-Does-Broadway style. The music documents over the centuries have constantly tugged liturgical music away from showmanship. The Broadway musical is our era's opera, as it were.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    One of the teachers showed a chart in which the emotional content of the different aspects of the Mass was shown by the length of a bar in a graph. Moments in the Mass with a low level of dynamism had a short bar, moments with a high level of dynamism had a long bar. The Alleluia and the Amen had the longest bars.

Funny that, in fully chanted Masses or "high-church" Masses (with timpani), I've never found the Alleluia or Amen to be particularly emotional moments for me. (Except for perhaps Easter for the Alleluia which hasn't been heard in weeks.) My strongest "jubilant" emotion (as influenced by music) usually seems to be at the Gloria. My strongest "reflective" emotion usually happens around Communion (or interestingly, in the time leading up to it if many of the dialogues and priest's parts are sung).

I wonder what everyone's experiences are with this?