Revised Grail Psalms
  • Can someone please clarify what exactly occurred as far as the revision of the Grail Psalter?
    From what I gathered, GIA "owns" these texts now...but I am very confused.
    Does an independent composer/choir director wising to set the texts to their own tone/music need to gain licensing rights for these texts?
    Does simply purchasing the psalter come with any reproduction rights?
    What about all of the texts available on CCWatershed, for example, are they in compliance with all of this corporate red tape?
    Even though the USCCB uses the NABRE for the Lectionary, is this resource obsolete as far as psalms are concerned? Help?!
  • Ok...I may have answered my own question:

http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/GrailLicense.cfm

From the site:
    "Composers are free to set the RGP at will, and may use their settings indefinitely within their own ecclesial communities, provided that no revenue is derived from such use. If any fees are attached to the sharing of a composer’s work, standard royalties will apply. Composers are free to submit settings of the RGP to any publisher of their choosing. If that publisher chooses to accept the work, standard music industry procedures apply."
  • I definitely agree that the system of "owning" the psalms sounds shady, but it's been my experience that they were very helpful when it came to publication. For example, the antiphons at www.communionantiphons.org use the RGP for the psalm verses, and when I emailed GIA and described the project and request permission, they were quick to grant it at no charge, since I wasn't profiting from the settings.
  • BenBen
    Hmm... What constitutes an "ecclesial community?" Wouldn't that be the entire universal church? :P
  • francis
    Now Ben... you are looking for loopholes! (Can I use that one? It is a good one!)
  • What does it mean in the beginning of the RGP where Antonio Card. Canizares Llovera writes it is "to be used in all future liturgical books."
    Is the Lectionary one of these "liturgical books"?
  • Yes, and so are the ritual books like the Rite of Marriage, Baptism, etc. I believe they would (most importantly) be used in any revision of the Liturgy of the Hours, as well.
  • BenBen
    @francis,

Sure, feel free to use it. :) I can't claim it as mine though. I'm not sure where I saw it, but I think it might have been somewhere on this board.

@naupegos

I wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't be.