A choir of 2,000 voices
  • Carl DCarl D
    This is an absolutely fascinating video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eric_whitacre_a_virtual_choir_2_000_voices_strong.html

The "esprit d'corps" that he mentions definitely reminds me of the Colloquium!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Carl, thanks for posting this. I had seen the finished product, but didn't hear the back story. I'd like to show this to my junior high. I just started at a new school, and plan to bombard them with videos and literature that show them that singing is not just for the geeky and feminine. :) I plan to have them singing for Mass and enjoying it by the end of the year.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'd seen the original video too, which was awfully impressive, but it's that back-story that got me thinking about all the stuff that's possible with these new media tools. I tried multi-tracking four part harmony for a practice recording of fauxbordone that I'd composed, and found out how hard this is to do with just AUDIO. Trying to do it with video is much more complex and requires tools and skills WAY beyond what I have.

But the result is just amazing. For the viewers, and also for the participants.

It gets me thinking about the community we create here. People who have never met in real life are forming real connections. It's always interesting to see the discussions before Colloquium: "Should we be wearing our Musicasacra Forum handles on our name tags?" I've loved the expressions of surprise: "So you're THAT Charles? THAT Jeffrey?"

Carl
  • gregpgregp
    I'll never forget getting to meet THE Don Roy in Chicago 2008.