Are all the English Chant books on this website automatically licit?
  • This will seem an odd question, but, as with the Responsorial/Gradual distinction, it does not seem obvious to the non-professional.

Are all the English Chant books on musicasacra.com automatically licit, or does my pastor need to get permission from the diocesan curia?

It's true that some bishops have an unbelievably hands-off approach, but let's assume we are talking about a diocese that is seeking order and unity in worship.
  • For minor propers (entrance, offertory, communion), the answer is yes, and the reason is that they are all from holy scripture and there is no official or mandated translation of the sung propers.

The Psalm between readings is more complicated and confusing.
  • That's a helpful answer, Jeff, and thanks. I have in fact downloaded nearly all the English chant books for Advent through Epiphany to study so that will make more sense.

I do NOT know how you do what you do, but is there a way that could be indicated on the site? I mean, I know you have so much extra time.
  • I believe that Jeffrey has described himself before as "a blogger on a coffee break". Though I think he certainly deserves more credit than that!