Plainsong Propers (1964)
  • I'm starting a separate discussion topic for this so as not to derail Adam Wood's thread. (Attached are the first few pages of volume one.)

Plainsong Propers
    Sisters of the Most Precious Blood (O'Fallon, Missouri) with acknowledgement to Dom Ermin Vitry, OSB
    Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Sequence, Tract, Offertory, Communion
    English (modern)
    Plainchant (reduced forms of melodies from the Graduale Romanum)
    Complete Cycle
    EF
    Copyright 1964-1966 (6 paperbound volumes)

Note the obvious parallel with the SEP project. These volumes are copyrighted. If you search for "Plainsong Propers" you'll find some copies available.
  • Heath
    Arthur, these look wonderful! Too bad they are copyrighted . . . doomed to dwell in obscurity, it seems.
  • Maybe the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood would give permission for CMAA to host scanned copy for free download.
  • chonakchonak
    Any chance the copyright might have lapsed due to non-renewal?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    neat.
  • This appears to be an unfortunate collection.
  • Xavier, perhaps you should tell us why so we can all learn? Its should surely be compared against the songs with non-liturgical texts sung in perhaps 95% of parishes today?
  • Gather is...an unfortunate collection.
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    It was published one-year too late to require renewal.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    When I visit this thread I keep getting a warning from my antivirus software of the sort:

Internet Communication Shield has blocked access to an internet site

The following item has been detected:

Category: being accessed

Internet Communication Shield blocks access to internet sites known to be related to spyware.

If you still want to access this potentially malicious site, you will need to temporarily turn off the Internet Communication Shield. ...

Can someone please tell me what is going on? It doesn't happen on every thread, just a few (including this), and it doesn't seem to impede anything else that I'm doing. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this before.
  • I believe that technically it would still be under copyright protection but that is only relevant if the actual plaintiffs would object.
  • Webroot Spysweeper appears to be the problem. Got it?
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, CHG, it has to do with Xavier's gray avatar: it's stored on a web site that, according to the anti-virus firms, is notorious for spreading trojans. If you don't see the avatar, then perhaps it's being blocked on your PC by your security software.
  • Xavier please fix this.
  • Jeffrey, I wonder if you called them tomorrow [636-240-6010] that they might be happy to give permission with suitable acknowledgements. How'd you get permission for the Gregorian Missal?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for the clarification ... I had already traced the problem to Xavier's avatar. I guess I'll just live with the message (since it is a benign annoyance).
  • I second the scanned copies idea, with permissions of course.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would very much like to see this collection available on the CMAA server.

What can be done to facilitate this?
  • IanWIanW
    Did Xavier ever say why he thought this an "unfortunate collection"? Unfortunate as to its timing and reception, or in its use today?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Folks, I had a dream about this collection last night (not kidding). I hope it can be released. I really do. I think it is important.
  • I've been off and on looking at and singing this sample since it was posted. I know my choir would greatly benefit from this resource, but neither I nor my parish can afford it right now. I too feel it's very important.
  • Reviving this old thread. Did anyone find out if this could be pursued? I do have most of these and they are just wonderful. It would be lovely to have this resource to share. I think the propers are simple enough for children's choirs.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    if anyone can figure it out, ms.com is open to host
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I finally obtained copies, and they are wonderful. I wish I had time to pursue the permissions.
  • Did you see that the Sisters of the Precious Blood reissued some of their old cds and now have a Plainsong Ordinaries for sale? http://cpps-ofallon.org/ways-to-give/pray/ I wonder what they are like? I think the Sister in charge of the music cds might be the one to contact....I'm just too chicken to ask!
  • Sister Luella Dames, CPPS, who reads this blog occasionally, is the Director of Music for the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood in O'Fallon, Missouri. She knew and worked with both Msgr. Martin B. Hellriegel, who was their Chaplain, and Dom Irmin Vitry, OSB, who was their Director of Music for many years. Do contact Sr. Luella, she's a wonderful person and a very well-trained sacred musician. She is a wealth of information about the liturgical movement and the part that Msgr. Hellriegel and Dom Vitry played in it!
  • JenniferGM
    I remember talking with her on the phone many years ago. I had read a biography on Msgr. Hellriegel, came upon one copy of the Plainsong Propers and wanted more regarding the Sisters and Hellriegel's influence. In her opinion Dom Ermin Vitry was more influential on the Order. She highly recommended his works on music.
  • BGP
    It seems with all of the english propers now availiable, that there is still lots of interest in additional collections.

I am hesatant to bring this up but....

I live in close proximity to Mt. Saviour monastary near Elmira NY. They use english propers with what I think (not sure) are their own adaptations of Gregorian melodys (done in the mid 60s most likely). Would there be interest in my looking into these, if they are willing to share them and they are their compositions?