Rating the Roman Missal
  • BenBen
    So... does anyone know if the one from The Catholic Truth Society is also the same as the one in the US? What is different about the UK edition?

I'm going to be doing some more MC work soon, and having a copy at home would be very nice for me.

That CTS study edition looks quite nice, although Magnificat's is pretty nice too.
  • chonakchonak
    The UK edition would have some calendar differences: different holy days of obligation, some saints' days added/omitted, some patronal observances celebrated at a different rank. Also, it would follow British spelling.
  • quilisma
    I should be receiving the CTS interim "missal" in the next few days. Will let you know what's in it....
  • I ordered the interim Missal and then, promptly gave it to my parochial vicar. I may have to borrow it back.
  • BenBen
    This may be a stupid question, but again, I hope to get either a chapel edition or a study edition for usage at home looking over the texts/rubrics of the Mass. So comes the question:

Are the pagings the same for every missal (I'm speaking of the US editions only, of course)? In other words, will the same content be always be on the same page number, even if my parish has the Magnificat missal, and I have the MTF missal?
    I want to be able to check for page numbers at home, and assume they'll be the same when I get down to church.

I hope this makes sense.
  • francis
    o wow

is the church on the same page?

very interesting thought realized through the book of the Mass!

who has the dope?
  • The paging should be the same, I think. Cost-wise, I would probably invest my money in the Magnificat. You will get more value for your dollar as opposed to buying the MTF version. Don't get me wrong. The MTF is beautiful, but, it is very expensive.

I am going to order the CTS study edition, myself, simply because it is beautiful. I think I might order an extra one and give it to my parochial vicar so that he can use it as the Book of the Chair, since they will no longer be publishing such a book.
  • francis
    but what about the wlp which has claimed to RESET the ICEL chant into something (which mr gottapraynsing says is so... don't really know... haven't seen it with my own eyes...) beautiful ... and worthy of being called an engraving? However, the weird spacing of notes in the ICEL rendition isn't too difficult to outdo IMHO.
  • BenBen
    @ BenedictGal

Thanks for the assistance. I'll probably go for the Magnificat Chapel Edition. I was just using MTF as an example. That's waaaaaay to expensive for me!

I thought about getting the Catholic Books chapel edition, but I'm really sick of their style of artwork:
    It just doesn't appeal to me. I've spent way too much time with a similar piece of artwork held in front of my face during the collect! IDK... It just doesn't sit right with me. That's why I really think the the CTS and Magnificat missals look so wonderful. LTP also has a very nice cover, but some interesting art on the inside. It's nice, but... idk...

I also really like the CTS versions, but isn't it slightly different than the US versions?