Is the Schola to be incensed? (TLM)
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    J+M+J

My parish (TLM only) has run into a ceremonial pickle. I'm part of our parish's Schola and, according to the pronouncements of Pope St. Pius X in Tra Le Sollecitudini, we are vested in Cassock and Surplice (though we chant exclusively from the choir loft). The question we've run into is the following: In accord with St. Pius X, the liturgical Schola is considered to be a clerical/ministerial role in the same manner as serving at the altar (even when the Schola is comprised entirely of laymen). The rubrics of the Mass direct the Thurifer to incense the various servers in the sanctuary, by virtue of the clerical role that they too are exercising. However, I cannot find any such rubric for the Schola. Fortescue/O'Connell in the latest edition of the Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described explicitly states that any ceremonies due to a liturgical choir (bows, incensations, etc.) are only to be made when the choir is situated in the sanctuary and only when it is comprised of actual clerics.

Can someone explain to me why lay servers are incensed and not lay Scholas, even when both are equally clerical functions? Citations for reasons would be most appreciated! Thank you kindly!

God bless,
    Joshua
  • Interesting question. I have no citations but surely physical proximity plays into it. How would it done if the schola is in the rear loft?

For what it's worth, at St. Paul's in Cambridge at the 11 a.m. solemn OF Mass those serving in the sanctuary receive the incensing first, then the schola (seated to the right of the altar), and then the congregation.
  • Liam
    Randolph

I am glad we were able to intervene to save the name of the schola, btw....
  • Richard R.
    "Can someone explain to me why lay servers are incensed and not lay Scholas, even when both are equally clerical functions?"

I admit this is a source of some confusion, and I think proximity to the sanctuary "choir" (collection of clerics not directly involved in the Mass being celebrated)does incline some scholas to accept (expect) incensation on a par with servers. (This has happened only once in my experience, at an FSSP Mass, when the schola sat behind the choir. The next time, we were moved a discrete distance from the choir, probably to avoid just such confusion.)

But I think your premise is essentially mistaken. Neither is a clerical function per se, otherwise we would be called clerics. Nor do I think the schola fulfills the same sort of liturgical function as the servers, whose various roles are spelled out in the rubrics, and who serve more directly in the sanctuary (rather than just being near by). Myself, I am quite satisfied to get my incense along with the congregation.
  • jgirodjgirod
    The rules for incensation are quite complex; basically the higher clerics (bishops, monsignors) are incensed individually and lower clerics collectively (3 strokes towards the whole group), "intermediate" ones either individually or collectively — that would depend on their number and on how high they are in the absolute (priests, deacons, minor orders). When there are several bishops, even the priests attending mass in the stall could be collectively. Otherwise priests will be individually and deacons collectively, and so on.
    Ordinarily the only persons present in the choir are laymen acting as clerics and the servants are incensed, then the congregation. If the congregation is, the schola, if it is in the stall, should be incensed before. Now if the schola is in the loft, we can consider it is incensed along with the congregation.
    In any case you take it from St Pius X that members of the schola perform a clerical/ministerial role and that's fine with me, but it is a lower function than the altar servants who perform the function of the minor orders while there is no "cantor" order (or may be should it be instituted ;-) ?)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Only if the priest demands that they sing "On Eagles' Wings". (sorry, couldn't resist). No need to add a real answer to what's been said.
  • mahrt
    Before the thirteenth century, cantor was an order; some say it was eliminated to reduce the number of orders to seven.
  • IanWIanW
    It's about as bad an idea as putting lilies by the schola.
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Thank you all for your comments.

Richard R: My premise is not mistaken, sir. The functions of chanting the liturgical propers and serving at the altar are indeed clerical roles. The Church simply allows laymen to assume these roles, but they do not lose their clerical character in doing so (hence the use of clerical attire such as Cassock and Surplice and the exclusivity of men being admitted to these functions.) This is not open for debate.

Jgirod: The singing of the liturgical propers (while not constituting its own Minor Order) is a duty that was exercised by all levels of Minor and Major Orders. It's a function that is assumed by everyone enjoying the privilege of entrance into the clerical state. The Church has allowed lay *men* to assume this role, but it is to be done in such a manner that is in imitation of its inherent clerical character.

Anywho, it would seem that the Schola is granted ceremonial acknowledgement (bows, incensations, etc.) only when they are located in the sanctuary (which is the proper place for all scholas). If they located in a choir loft, the incensation of the faithful constitutes an incensation of the Schola simultaneously.

Thanks, folks!
  • Chrism
    Regarding pseudo-clerical vs. congregational, although a dreadful rabbit hole, I found this audio interesting.
  • Richard R.
    Torquemada: "hence the use of clerical attire such as Cassock and Surplice and the exclusivity of men being admitted to these functions.

Except that, since Pius XII, and probably before, singing of liturgical chant, or music standing therefore, has not been reserved exclusively to men. But I note you are not debating this, so never mind.
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Richard R.

We are not speaking of simply providing choral pieces for the Mass. Rather I am speaking of the liturgical propers, and not motets or even the Ordinary of the Mass, the latter being traditionally a congregational role. If you could point out where Pius XII permits women to sing the liturgical propers of the Mass, I'd very much appreciate it. With the rare exception of nuns within their convents, men assume the role exclusively of chanting the liturgical propers.

... and yes, the clerical character of a liturgical schola is not a subject found in the realm of opinions.
  • Pius XII admitted the singing of polyphonic settings of the propers, so by allowing choirs including women and girls, seems clear he envisioned women singing the liturgical propers of the Mass. You don't need to look beyond the 4 corners of De musica sacra et sacra liturgia.
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Arthur Connick,

I see no contradiction in Pope Pius XII's directives. Polyphony most certainly does not necessitate the use of women. Here Pius XII reaffirms the role of a liturgical schola as being proper to the those entered into the clerical state:

"93. A - Clerics present at a liturgical ceremony in the manner, and form prescribed by the rubrics, who fulfill the role of sacred or minor ministers or sing in the choir or schola cantorum, exercise a liturgical ministry which is direct, and proper to them by virtue of their ordination or elevation to the clerical state."

Here he makes mention of this role being a function to be carried out by men whenever possible:

"93. C - Therefore, laity of the male sex, whether boys, young men, or adults, when appointed by competent ecclesiastical authority to serve at the altar or to perform the sacred music, and when they fulfill this office in the manner, and form prescribed by the rubrics, exercise a liturgical ministry which is direct, though delegated. If they are singers, they must be a part of the choir or schola cantorum."

Lastly, the admittance of women into a choir is done out of necessity and, when this is done, they are not be located in the sanctuary, i.e. the proper location of the liturgical choir.

"100. Wherever such a choir cannot be organized, a choir of the faithful, either mixed or consisting only of women or girls, can be permitted. But such a choir should take its place outside the sanctuary or Communion rail. The men should be separated from the women or girls so that anything unbecoming may be avoided."
  • Torquemada, I also see no contradictions among the provisions of De musica sacra, but nevertheless understand them differently. The rubrics of the Mass assume a choir of clerics within the Sanctuary between the altar and the nave. Laymen may be admitted as members of this choir, acting as substitutes for clerics for which reason they must be male. A choir singing from the loft is outside the Sanctuary and hence not "fulfilling this office in the manner and form prescribed by the rubrics". Therefore it need not consist of males. The key polarities here are clergy/laity and Sanctuary/nave, whereas the polarity male/female is derivative of the other two.

Outside of the Sanctuary, the only singing role reserved for men is "bass".
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Hello, Mr. Connick. I understand your train of thought, but I think you're approaching the subject backwards. A liturgical schola assumes a clerical character not by virtue of its place within the sanctuary, but by virtue of its function. This function is not altered in any way by simply a change of location within the body of the Church. The U.S. is fairly unique in that its churches, even those spared the iconoclastic fury of the mid 20th century, are utterly devoid of a proper "choir". In addition, the practice of having a liturgical schola in the choir loft has been in vogue since at least the 18th century. I see no reason as to why we are to assume St. Pius X was ignorant of this ubiquitous practice when he issued his Motu Proprio in 1903 (which makes no distinction between a schola in a loft or in the sanctuary.) Regardless, a choir situated in a choir within the sanctuary is a rubrical manifestation of the schola's clerical character, but not its cause.
  • It seems to me that a man needs ordination at some level to be correctly considered a cleric. And, as you mention, only clerics are to be incensed, rightly marking the distinction between a layman and a cleric. It would be rather poor form for men in a schola to assume a status they in fact do not have.

If there is no rubric for the schola to be incensed, doesn't that fact alone point to an answer? Doesn't that indicate that the role of server and schola member are not equally clerical functions?
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Hello, Ms. Wilson. The preceding posts of this thread answer your comments in their entirety. The roles of serving at the altar and being part of a liturgical schola are inherently clerical *functions*. The perennial practice of the Church and the documents of Pope St. Pius X and Pius XII are abundantly clear on this fact.

In regard to the rubrics pertaining to incensations, as you know, the altar-boys (fulfilling the clerical role of an ordained Acolyte) are indeed incensed individually. Secondly, as the preceding posts illuminate, a schola *is* incensed when they are situated with their proper place in the sanctuary. However, when they are detached from this proper location, the ceremonial proper to them is omitted. However, the schola's function (a clerical one) remains the same and, hence, these men are to be vested for this function in cassock and surplice in the same manner as an altar-boy.
  • Is the choir incensed when they are not actual clerics? As you referenced, "Fortescue/O'Connell in the latest edition of the Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described explicitly states that any ceremonies due to a liturgical choir (bows, incensations, etc.) are only to be made when the choir is situated in the sanctuary and only when it is comprised of actual clerics."
    Clearly the schola layman is not on par with the role of server layman, as indicated by the incensations mentioned in your above quote (only schola members who are *actual clerics* are incensed). Or am I somehow reading your quote incorrectly?

And I trust you intended no offense, but you may call me "Mrs.", as I am actually married.
  • Chrism
    Torquemada, I just opened O'Connell (1964). Not sure what part you're referring to. Anyone below the rank of priest assisting in choir (regardless of role) is incensed collectively in smaller churches (III, IV, IX, 11e, p. 428, see also 2d, p. 425). This means laymen are to be incensed collectively along with seminarists sitting in choir, whether ordained to the diaconate or subdiaconate or minor orders or tonsured (and thus clergy under the canon law of the time) or not. It is assumed that among those in choir may be those actually engaged in singing (III, VII, I, 7, p. 450, see also ff21).

It would be odd for someone in choir not to be incensed, because they would be the only people at Mass not incensed. The congregation is incensed immediately after. If the schola were situated somewhere in the sanctuary apart from the rest of the choir, it would make sense for the schola to be incensed collectively and separately, just as lay servers sitting on both sides of the sanctuary, or squeezed into odd nooks and crannies, are incensed separately from each other (even though O'Connell does not indicate this).

But the rules for incensing a schola sitting out of place should be the same as for other servers and clergy sitting out of place. Why would this happen? Principally because of lack of seating in a small church, or some other practical or charitable consideration (think, wheelchair). What would probably be done? I've only seen this a couple of times, but I believe priests might get a special swing of the incense if they are sitting in the front pews, and otherwise everyone (deacon and below) would be incensed along with the congregation. If they fill up the whole front pew, though, they might get special swings.

In all the many times I've sung vested in the loft, I've never once received a special swing of the incense, even when singing with vested priests. And even if I did, I don't think anyone would have noticed, because it's not like the thurible has precise aim at 250 feet.

IMO, the big difference between a "clerical" and "congregational" role for laymen at Mass is expectation of behavior.
  • Chrism
    only clerics are to be incensed, rightly marking the distinction between a layman and a cleric

And that's not true. O'Connell (III, IV, IX, 12, p. 428), in addition to discussing the question of laymen vested in cassock and surplice and assisting in choir, and their incensation (above), also shows:

* A king is incensed before the presiding bishop
    * A president, viceroy or governor of a state, immediately after the bishop and his immediate assistants at the throne (i.e., the A.P. and the two assistant deacons).
    * High officials (e.g., a minister of state) after the canons of the church, if the canons are vested, or before the canons if the canons are in choir dress
    * The Lord Mayor (and other officials of this rank) after the prelates and canons, but before the rest of the clergy
    * Lesser officials (who would that be, dog-catcher?) after all the clergy in choir.
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Hello, Mrs. Wilson. No, of course I meant no offense in referring to you as "Ms.". If I am unaware of a lady's marital status, "Ms." is the default.

Yes, upon closer examination and in discussing the issue with several traditional Priests, the rubrics indicate that a schola situated within their proper place (in the sanctuary) is to be incensed. When they are detached from their proper place in the sanctuary, the ceremonial pertaining to a liturgical schola is omitted.
  • So, laymen in the sanctuary are to be inscensed the same as clerics in the sanctuary? I can see where this makes sense, considering that would be the only way for them to be incensed, as Chrism observed. But it does seem to go against the Fortescue passage you mentioned, which clearly excludes men who aren't clerics.
    Don't get me wrong- I have no desire to do anything in the sanctuary at my EF parish.

But I don't understand why women would be excluded from chanting the propers outside the sanctuary, at least under normal circumstances. If a saintly pope made allowance for women singing the liturgical chants, I don't see how they can be justly excluded. But I guess that's another topic.
  • JahazaJahaza
    But it does seem to go against the Fortescue passage you mentioned, which clearly excludes men who aren't clerics.

When you get deep into such a particular rubrical question, you will sometimes find that there is a not a specific "correct" answer. The rules for incensing the choir and others at the offertory is a particularly confusing area. The opinions of the approved authors may vary. In the past, you would solve such a problem by submitting a dubium to the Sacred Congregation of Rites. For various reasons, that's not much done today. One should follow the approved authors and local custom.