Chanting the Gospel at Missa Cantata--necessary?
  • My Tridentine Mass community is wanting to start doing more Sung Masses, but our priest isn't the greatest singer. We were wondering if it is permitted to have a Sung Mass without the priest chanting the Epistle or the Gospel, and instead just having them be read. I have seen it done before at my old parish, but I wasn't sure if anybody knew the rules definitively one way or another.
  • dad29
    FWIW, the Epistle may be read, not chanted.

OTOH, the Gospel must be sung (unless infirmity prevents same, usual conditions,...)

There is no rule that the singing must be excellent, or even good, by the way.
  • WJA
    As I have counseled a holy priest who struggles within singing: "Recto tono is your friend." Anyone can sing recto tono.
  • dad29,

Where do you get this from? I'm not being antagonistic, just curious to know the rubrical support. I can think of a number of situations where it would help to be able to tell a priest, "You need to chant the Gospel, but you can just read the Epistle."
  • I think that it helps to keep in mind that chanting was not to make the Gospel sound beautiful. It was necessary to carry the sound of the words throughout the church building. Singing using the recited one, especially by a schola, builds the confidence of the singers. And I have seen permanent deacons who thought that they could not sing attempt recto tono and, having listened to recordings, find themselves beginning to sing more than just the one note and being very excited!

Good point, WJA!
  • dvalerio
    > Where do you get this from?

Codex Rubricarum § 514: In sung Masses, i.e. without ordained ministers, the celebrant must observe all things prescribed in the paragraph above [about what is to be sung in a Solemn Mass], and he must furthermore sing the parts that belong to the ordained ministers. The Epistle may be sung by a lector. If it is not, it suffices that it be read without chant by the celebrant himself, who may as well sing it as usual.

[My translation; I apologise for errors and mistakes.]
  • dad29
    Thanx, dvalerio....

I didn't have a reference except my memory as altar boy for ~10 years. The priest chose never to chant the Epistle, but always the Gospel.
  • Thanks for the exact reference!