Paschal Mystery at my parish marked by crime
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Dear CMAA friends and colleagues,

It is with deep regret that I share the news that my parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Wyandotte MI, was victim to the crime of theft when someone made off with the night drop bag containing the collection (in the amount of many thousands of dollars in cash and checks) immediately following the "Rezurekcja" Mass yesterday, one of the most important celebrations for OLMC, steeped in Polish traditions.

You can read more about the story here. They incorrectly report that the theft took place after the 7:30 PM Mass, a typo I'm sure. It was after the 7:30 AM Mass.

It is easy to be angry about this, but what is sad is that someone would be either desperate or depraved enough to commit such a crime. We do know that the man who did this must have been very familiar with the way things are done, and with the labyrinthine layout of the sacristies behind the sanctuary and altars.

I ask your prayers for the welfare of the thief's soul, which is of course now in very grave danger, and also for the prayers of our Pastor and parishioners as we struggle with the impact of this horrible and senseless crime.
  • marajoymarajoy
    also a reminder of one of the several reasons that you should never put cash in the collection basket...
  • DougS
    Someone stole our weekly collection from a regular mass a couple of months ago, and community members--not all parishioners or even Catholics, I might add--made up the difference and more. It is an inconvenience to cancel the checks, but a lot of the money can be recovered that way, too.
  • CharlesW
    Our parish has the ushers bring offerings forward, then immediately put collections in bank bags, and take them to a safe in the sacristy. It's sad that we can't be more trusting, but that's the way it is.
  • chonakchonak
    A parish here in Massachusetts was robbed similarly a few weeks ago when (according to the newspapers) a pastor left the safe unlocked. To his relief, the miscreant repented and returned the bag a few days later.

The approach at CharlesW's parish sounds safer.
  • Dear David,
    I am heartened and edified by the Christian witness of your prayer for the thief. I think we daily face situations where we can choose to be Dysmas or Gestes. You have chosen the path of the One whom they flanked on their own crosses.
    I know we've had differences in the past, but you still chose to see Christ in the thief fleeing the church door. Amen.