Some thoughts on the piano (take them or leave them)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here are some thoughts some may find interesting:

ARTICLE: Thoughts on the piano

It also addresses St. Pius X:

“The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy or frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like.”

“It will also be fitting that singers while singing in church wear the ecclesiastical habit and surplice, and that they be hidden behind gratings when the choir is excessively open to the public gaze.”
  • "It will also be fitting that singers while singing in church wear the ecclesiastical habit and surplice ..."

Luckily, "women, being incapable of exercising such office, cannot be admitted to form part of the choir," so we'll never have to worry about how ladies might look in a cassock and surplice.

Right?
  • tlelyo
    Jeff, I definitely disagree good sir. While I love everything that CCWatershed, Musica Sacra, the Chant Cafe, and the like have been doing in renewing the heart of liturgical worship in the Church, I find myself always seeking out a "Both-and" approach to the question of music. So, here we go:

Ok, for one, you say the piano is "too sentimental" - can you elaborate?

Second, the examples you give are examples of musical pieces of a specific genre, played in a specific way that I would agree would not be suitable for the liturgy. Basically I have issue with your examples since I would advocate for the use of piano via the genre of "worship music" (which I know is another topic that has many times been put down by these forums on the basis of "musical form" that somehow objectively is "emotive" and "profane" - which I disagree about)

Further, in my own opinion, I believe the Organ is equally an emotive and sentimental instrument. Music, by its nature, is emotive - it's what man does to express himself when words are not enough, so while I will agree that an extreme and frenzied emotion ought not be triggered via music at mass - I would argue that the liturgy itself is full of "emotion" and ought to give rise to a degree of emotion by its very nature. I often am moved by a beautiful choirs expression of worship or a skilled organists gift at the liturgy. CCWatershed musical pieces often leave a great impression on me because of its beauty.

I guess my point is, this idea of "sentimentality" regarding the piano (and worship music for that matter) does not give justice to the potential the instrument has to offer the liturgy. The organ - if played incorrectly can be equally distracting, offensive, and emotive as any other instrument. I absolutely agree with the Pope's and the Church Councils that give it pride of place when executed well, however I do not wish to stand by and see other instruments like the piano tossed aside either. I'm looking for the Catholic "both-and" - can't we all just get along ;-) Thanks Jeff!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Mark, I believe legislation on women in choir was changed by Pius XII --- however, I don't think that (de facto) means the writings of Pius X are without value. Would you agree?

Tom, the only reason I included excerpts of my playing was to (hopefully) show that I am familiar with the piano and its capabilities.

When I speak of the piano, I'm speaking of an instrument I love tremendously.

However, all "emotions" are not created equal --- the Roman Rite is dignified, clear (to the point), and STARK (one might even say "Roman). The way, for instance, the prayers are composed is ... truly amazing, and fills with a completely different kind of emotion than I feel when listening to the Brahms-Paganini variations played by Wilhelm Backhaus.

I would be grateful to hear others' thoughts on this.
  • Despite rumors and behaviors to the contrary, He is indeed risen, Alleluia. (Don't ask.)

To your point, dear Jeff, I believe it's a non-starter. Needlessly provocative, particularly at this time of the year.
  • GavinGavin
    If someone holds the organ to be an unemotive instrument, I should hate to hear that person play it.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • Liam
    No nasty emails. Just simple disagreement.

Pius X's prohibition no longer binds. (And his prohibition re women was a dead letter almost as soon as the ink was dry, as indults were quickly and widely given that functionally erased it.)

And, I have certainly encountered showmen/showwomen organists in liturgy.

Moreover, there is modern sacred music that is composed that specifically contemplates piano instead of organ accompaniment, and it's not all "contempo" in style.

To me, this kind of question in the abstract is just a non-starter.
  • Kathy
    Why not give better reasons for the difference between piano and organ? (I agree with others that "emotive" is an unuseful category here.)

The pipe organ sings its music in the same way the human voice does, with a rising column of air. The breath must be shaped and controlled until it is musical.

The piano is percussive. Note that the legislation cited above groups the piano with percussion instruments.

Jeffrey, if you're going to be "provocative," why not dig deeper for your reasons for holding your positions? Otherwise, it's just an argument.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T7WujWrn7c&feature=related

The church organ is not associated with popular music, so when an organ appears in popular music and is played in a style close to that of church organist, it adds reverence to popular music, but it still remains as popular music.

The piano, harmonica and other instruments can be played by a master and made to sound religious. However, people who lack imagination....and those who have too much...will think bar when those instruments are played.

Much as Paul Ford's posting yesterday of a well arranged setting which sounds Irish Folk. Many people would enjoy it. But it is a popular folk style. It would get attention by many people and it would be requested next year.

The restriction placed upon the choice of music for the EF eliminate this problem.

Popular music styles add pop culture and all that go with it to the liturgy, church is a place to get away from all of that and try to be better than what many of us are.

Surrounding yourself in liturgy....
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I'm honestly not trying to start an argument (not kidding).

I would gently suggest that, if we as musicians cannot even put forth the idea that the piano should not be used at Mass without being considered "provocative," this is a problem.

I also believe that Dr. Mahrt said plainly at Colloquium XX that the piano is not appropriate for Mass, but his comments were not taken as "provocative" (not that I'm saying I can speak with his eloquence, etc.).

I don't play the piano at Mass because I don't consider the piano a sacred instrument: not because I dislike the piano.
  • Kathy
    Jeffrey, I haven't heard anyone in the above discussion suggesting that you don't like the piano. That's totally beside the point. Dr. Mahrt gives reasons, most importantly that the church is not a concert hall. There's a time and a place for each thing. It's a compelling point.

Where are your compelling points?!
  • When making a comparison between piano and organ, it's helpful to revisit the official instrument of the church: the human voice.

In a part of video I found (but can't at the moment find) two music profs in Indiana explain how an organ works. These two explained how the different sound "colors" are made. They also said that the organ is well suited to lead congregational singing is that it has the power to fill the space. More importantly, the way in which the sound is made closely resembles the way the human voice works.

In a chant workshop by Scott Turkington I attended, the topic of the piano came up. This is not verbatim, but, essentially, he said that the piano creates sound by the striking of a string, and then the sound starts to die. I also remember him saying that a good piano player is able to provide the illusion that the sound is not dying. Singing should not have these qualities.

When compared to the organ, the inherent qualities of sound production and unless it's in a small space, the piano doesn't have the power to fill a room filled with people, unless it has electronic amplification.

These are reasons that the organ would be chosen over piano, and they are not related to taste or emotion.

-Mark
  • miacoyne
    I played piano for all my life and still teach it . I love Beethoven, Chopin , Mozart...Jazz on the piano. What would you play on the piano in the liturgy?
  • Well the MacDowell certainly brought back memories. It was one of the pieces programmed on my first recital given many years before Jeff was born. He probably played it better. Fortunately, recording equipment was not as common back then as now.

As much as I agree with those who dislike the piano in a liturgical setting, as Kathy suggests Jeff's position deserves a more thoughtful argument. Besides reasons given above by Mark, much of the liturgical music published today with piano accompaniment is simply not well written for the instrument. The counter argument, of course, is that with so many parishes in dire financial straits the piano seems an attractive option. Perhaps one argument for the inclusion of chants in the new missal is that people will rediscover the power of unaccompanied singing. Or am I just dreaming?
  • GavinGavin
    I don't use the piano in liturgy (as a rule), but this is out of my own lack of skill at the instrument. I would have no more ethical problem, given the ability, with a Chopin Prelude at liturgy than with the same form written by Bach. (Not to mention Well-Tempered Clavier...) Or perhaps the music of Debussy, which has at times a modality and "savor" reminiscent of Gregorian chant.

The argument that the organ is a "religious" instrument doesn't help much. I recall from last summer studying improvisation with one of the Dutch masters, a student of both Cor Kee and Jean Langlais, who criticized a student's attempts with, "That was too ecclesiastical! It says nothing! If you play like that, your church will rightfully replace you with a fool holding a guitar!" There is indeed a religious style of organ playing - and it sucks.

Last month I had a widow say to me prior to her husband's funeral that he loved the music of J.S. Bach, "but I don't know that I want his wish fulfilled. Bach's organ music is all so dirge-like and depressing!" I told her that she is patently wrong and only an inferior organist makes Bach sound like a dirge, and then played the C Minor Fantasy and a Clavierubung chorale at the funeral - to her great delight!

I propose that both the piano and organ should be played in such a manner that neither sounds inappropriate alongside the other at liturgy. But that is NOT to say that piano ballads are a suitable form for music at liturgy, and I would strongly dispute the piano's suitability for leading congregational song altogether.
  • Kathy
    I guess the other side of my unease with this particular post is the awareness that most of our colleagues have just now gone through the spiritual/physical/mental/musical marathon that is Holy Week, and some of them, for any number of reasons, have used the piano in their liturgies. I don't think now is the time to be a purist about instrumentation, of all things.
  • I have to admit that I love going to baseball games that where they play organ music. I don't think of the organ as uniquely sacred. I also like to attend organ recitals, so I don't think of the piano as more of a performance instrument than the organ. True, I've never heard an organ played at a cocktail bar, but I don't associate the piano with lounge singers and tip jars.

I tend to agree that I'd prefer not to have piano played at mass. Even played softly, it is too percussive for my taste. The big problem for me is what happens when a choir or congregation is not keeping rhythm or gettting off key and the player ups the volume. A piano played fortissimo (sorry for the oxymoron) is unendurable during mass, and it seems to me that a piano is always played fortissimo either for the reason just mentioned or because its sound can't carry in a big church otherwise. When an organ is played more loudly, the sound isn't so percussive, jarring, and distracting.

I kind of disagree about the timing issue. Except for Good Friday, which I was able to program, there was piano at every service during Holy Week. The pounding away on the piano all week definitely compromised the experience for me, at least. I think that everyone on the site realizes that you can please all of the people some of the time OR some of the people all of the time. It shouldn't be news that some people don't like piano in church, and the reasons, whatever they are, aren't ad hominem. Clearly, people have should be accorded the time to be proud of their work (yes, even those who used piano), but one's pride in work shouldn't rest on the persupposition that everyone in the congregation liked everything that was done.
  • Thank you, Kathy, for "getting" the more subtle point of my response to Jeff.
    Jeff, my use of the term "provocative" was modified by the adjective "needless." I simply would ask you, what with all that is going on in the world, in the church, in our parishes, in our daily lives (you with a beautiful new baby girl)...why in name of all that is holy would one want to throw up this particular standard and see who salutes it?
    I am concerned that our fraternal fellowship already is suffering from internecine squabbles that continue to reflect negatively and needlessly upon possible "converts" to the cause.
    The truths that are spoken from the heart in these discussions need not be censored, or tampered with. But their tone and temper ought to be considered before opening the window and letting them out into the world.
    But if we continue to use words like assassin's bullets, we will soon form a circular firing squad. A shame, that.
    Now, should someone desire to take me to task for my "Rodney King" capitulation attitude, first take note: For the first time in forty one years I am considering leaving service to the church due to such needless provocation. There is no joy in disclosing that, only the challenge to each of us (mostly for me, the man in the mirror) to account for what we do in support of one another, our missio.
    Now, what were we talking about? Ah, the piano.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Charles,

I thank you for your thoughts.

In general, I try to stay away from issues like these.

However, in this case, I merely shared my heartfelt belief, and personal experiences.

May I please ask you (in all sincerity): what is so wrong with doing this?

I shall change the title of the post.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Charles,

I thank you for your thoughts, and I am asking you to please forgive me.

If I "messed up" by using insensitive language ... well, it is not the first time I've made a mistake.
  • j13rice
    So, based on the instruction Pius X, I would assume you would agree that any use of the timpani would also be excluded from liturgy, including, for instance, music from the Viennese Mass tradition.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    j13rice,

I believe Pius X allowed orchestral Masses with the Bishop's permission, but I think Pius XII allowed greater freedom in this area.

Perhaps others (wiser than I) can comment on this.

I tried to be careful to say that I agree with St. Pius X on certain issues: I don't believe I made the (false) claim that 100% of legislation for 1903 is still valid in 2011. Especially, in light of Vatican II.
  • miacoyne
    JMO, I thank you for the post. It's a good time for me to review and think about how we can improve next year without feeling being criticized. (He is risen, we have hope.) We now have lots of options after Vatican II, it's good to remember the intrinsic nature of the sacred music and what the Church Fathers say about the liturgical music and try to understand the mind of the Church.
    Happy Easter!
  • Jeff,
    You have said nothing requiring an apology. I'm fine with your advancing the content of your deeply held feelings and beliefs, which are in ideal concert with the mind of the church, but, as Liam rightly points out, at odds with successive legislation.
    My point remains, which figurative battles ought we expend our corporate energies upon that will encourage folks to peek into our tent, maybe then stick a hand or foot in, and finally their head, heart and whole body?
    Since it was mentioned in this thread, I'll cite whether it is everyone's interest to appropriate a characterization of Dr. Ford's setting of the Easter Sequence in order to advance a polemical point? Last I checked, he's in our boat with us, chatting with JT in the galley cafe on vimeo.
    j13rice's bone of contention now lies on the top of a lot of other bones we could forensically disagree over, but why?
    If I'm at church, and there's a piano, I want Phillip Ahberg not Jerry Lee Lewis at the keyboard. If there's an organ, I want my organist at the console, not Virgil Fox. (Though that would be quite a feat for ol' VF.)
    Peace, out
    C
  • The organ IS the most fitting instrument for Christian liturgy, and the Council said so (not that papal or conciliar 'say sos' ever carry much weight with those who don't wish to be bothered with them.
    I agree totally with Jeff. Also with Gavin's first succinct entry above.
    We all know that the organ was banned for centuries and forgotten in the west because it was associated with the Roman circus spectacles.
    Times change - in XIX. century Italy organs commonly were fitted with drums and cymbals and played what amounted to circus musica all through mass.
    Yes, Gavin, there is an ecclesiastical style, though certain rather chic types would disparage it. If one attended certain events of the AGO one would wonder why what one is hearing was being played in a church - even if it were only a recital.
    Pianos are by their nature concert and drawing room instruments whose wondrous literature is not appropriate (nor conceived to be) for the sacred rites of the Christian religion. (That also goes for bongo drums, thumping double basses, combos, and all those laughable 'instruments' that can't make their fake sounds unless they are plugged in to an electrical outlet - while we stumble over yards of ugly cords. (And the just noticed pun is intended.)
    Jeff has nothing for which to apologise.
    And, for Charles in CenCA --- Surrexit Christus! Alleluia!
  • miacoyne
    What do you mean by battle, our boat... purists..and such. I wish we can stop labeling and talking as if we are not all in the same boat. Aren't we all trying and trying to help each other to make a better choice when it is available ?
  • j13rice
    It was my understanding that your reasoning for not using piano in the liturgy was because it was percussive and overly emotive. I don't understand by your logic how you can say the piano would be inappropriate, whereas a timpani would. I have to agree with Charles... why even raise this... it's not an issue, but a moot point. The Church clearly admits the piano. When used appropriately ("Lead Me, Lord" by Will Todd immediately comes to mind) the piano is perfectly suited to the liturgy.
  • CharlesW
    "I am concerned that our fraternal fellowship already is suffering from internecine squabbles that continue to reflect negatively and needlessly upon possible "converts" to the cause."

I have to agree with Mellow Charles from CA - isn't everyone there mellow? If all of CMAA were as extreme and right-wing crazy as this forum gets at times, I would quit sending in my annual dues check.

"But if we continue to use words like assassin's bullets, we will soon form a circular firing squad."

Charles, you can't have the circular firing squad. The Byzantine Catholic Church of America invented it, and has a patent on it. ;-)

I would agree that I prefer organ for liturgy, and so does my congregation. When our mighty Schantz was down for 3 weeks during painting and renovations, I played a top-of-the-line Roland piano. The congregation kept asking when the organ would be returned to service. The first Sunday afterward, the comment I received most often was, "It's good to have the organ back." I think that says something for promoting the instrument to the congregation. When the people have an attachment to the organ, they become its chief advocates.
  • (sigh)
    Mia, for the record "I" never uttered the word "purists."
    "Battle." A contest of wills of certain duration. You want to chant, I want to chant, CMAA wants to chant. Tom Lelyo wants to attract others to chant who use guitars as accompanimental instruments. Do you want to engage Tom in battle over the issue of the suitability of guitars, or engage him as a companion in order to enter into dialogue which will persuade him towards the wiser path?
    "Boat" The Barque of Peter, that boat.
    Maybe you can't see it, Mia, but I am not doing the labeling in these here parts. Sorry 'bout that.
  • The piano and guitar have gained preference because
    they maintain the reverb an suspension of sound in a carpeted room
    much better than a pipe organ.
  • miacoyne
    Charles, I didn't say who said what. As I said, we are all in the same boat, not my boat and your boat, and it's not about what you want and I want. Also I don't believe it's up to us when a church musician makes certain choices. As a pianist who played lots of contemporary music in the past, I would not have learned about sacred music if there weren't post like this about the Church's documents and the Church Father's writings. I had to search and still searching. If we don't discuss them here, I don't know where else. I found most of other blogs don't mention about the Church's teachings, but mostly their opinions and tastes.
  • TCJ
    I agree whole-heartedly with JMO on this one. Get rid of the piano and use the organ.

I once read that the instrument that gives the most glory to God is the human voice. After that, instruments that most closely resemble the human voice, which is why organ, some other wind instruments, and bowed instruments are appropriate. Instruments such as guitars (strummed), pianos (hammering strings), and drums (banging on objects) do not come close to resembling the voice. Also, as otherwise stated, the organ has been said to be the primary instrument of worship in the Catholic Church. Furthermore, there is the mention that other instruments cannot properly accompany singing. I know this to be true as I once had to play a piano at Mass when the power breaker tripped and the organ would not work. I had to play that thing as loud as possible just so it could be heard. They also used a piano at the chrism Mass for my diocese and I couldn't even hear it.

From a professional standpoint, you have this wonderful instrument that's massive, impressive, that has (oftentimes) been built just for that church and you want to replace it with a cheap instrument that isn't suitable for the job. And people wonder why organists are rare! Why should anyone learn these days when organs are being taken out of churches and replaced with pianos? Besides that one time that I had to use the piano, I never touched the thing. When people asked me, I simply refused. On a personal level, I find it highly insulting that an organist is asked to leave the organ alone and play a piano.
  • Kathy
    It's a very helpful thing to point to an ideal, to say it's the ideal, to say WHY it's the ideal. It's also helpful to say how certain things are (currently) legislated for the liturgy.

I just feel we've had far too many years of liturgists saying "you can't do this or that." You can't chant, you can't adore the Blessed Sacrament at Mass--people are always forbidding things because of their own preferences and ideals.
  • CharlesW
    Kathy, as has often been noted, the difference between a liturgist and a terrorist is that you can reason with the terrorist.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    How about this amazing thing? The Roland does five harpsichords, two organs, a fortepiano, and a celeste! All sound very beautiful.

I would far prefer this to the digital Clavinova that is so common in churches today. With all those gazillion sounds, they seem to be an occasion of sin for the keyboardist who sits down in front of them.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    By the way, whatever issues or arguments people have should pretty much go away after viewing this
  • miacoyne
    It is very beautiful and humbling. Thank you so much for sharing it, Jeffrey.
  • I have owned and used a Roland Harpsichord for years....the two organ settings are perfect for chant and continuo work. When the newest version came out I was able to find a buyer for mine and he bought a new one as well, but with business being as it is, I was unable to purchase a new one for use.....look forward to having another one soon, as it is is compact, that it can be used to place a choir in the building where it should be!
  • Erik P
  • You mean like the descending thirds in The Autumn Leaves?

That sort of answers it....if the notes on the piano totally fail to bring to mind any secular/popular music....sure.
  • Erik P
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I believe I've finally found a liturgically appropriate PIANO PIECE.

(kidding, of course, as I often am! ... to the consternation of many ...)
  • TCJ
    I've often played the piano-based hymns on the piano (in the basement) of the church and then made medleys of them with other pieces. My latest masterpiece was some funeral hymn (can't remember what it was, but it was sappy) and Georgy Girl. They fit together perfectly!

Every time I play one of those it's another reminder of why I don't like the piano for liturgical use.
  • definitely during Offertory or Communion.
  • Erik P
  • Liam
    And, apropos the human voice in liturgy, I prefer an acoustic piano to a synthensized organ.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    The piano does not belong in liturgy. For centuries only wealthy churches had pipe organs and others had to use reed organs or nothing at all.

No Pontiff has ever said, "If there is no organ, a piano is acceptable." Including our present piano=playing Pontiff.

The invention of the modern pipeless organs brings organ music to all churches. Pipe organ...snobbery....does not serve the organ well. Anyone on this list who has never ever played anything but a pipe organ, please chime in here. Now....never ever played a Hammond, Rodgers, Baldwin, Allen....speak up.

I'm ready to hear from all of you.

Bueller? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?
    Over on the pipe organ list people complain because orchestras do not program works that use the organ enough.

And then another guy posts that he's mad because the orchestra in Salt Lake City has programmed music that features the organ as soloist and he's mad because they are doing it in the concert hall instead of moving the entire orchestra and its audience across the street to the Tabernacle and using the great pipe organ they have there....

Organists, and I say this admitting that both my wife and I are organists, almost NEVER have to pay for the instruments they play. So instead of being grateful they complain, complain and complain!
  • Charles in CenCA
    Noel, we have been quite happy with our digital Rodgers for over a decade. We will enjoy its contribution to our presentation of the Mozart REQUIEM with complete orchestra this Thursday. Pray that the conductor may do all involved justice and with respect and verve.
    I once convinced Maynard Klein of Ann Arbor to let me play the organ continuo on the Mozart at a rehearsal at Interlochen, he'd never had an organist before with the orchestra.

When it was over he exclaimed, "It was wonderful! I never heard you once!"

Before 1938 all bad organs in the world were pipe organs.

Today there are bad pipe organs AND bad pipeless organs. I like to play only the good ones of either kind.
  • francis
    Piano... I love the piano... is it appropriate for liturgy? No! Keep them out of the church.

Organ... always perfect and appropriate.

Voice, even better... a cappella can't be beat. Period.