"The Wisdom of God"--choral piece for Washing of the Feet
  • Heath
    Found a wonderful Byzantine text last year, and quickly set it, with a revision today. Use at your own risk! : )
  • People, don't listen to Heath, do this piece this next Thursday! It's like Part, accessible, transcendent, don't need big forces. I would suggest having the men use "oh"/"ah" rather than a hum if you're light on dudes.
    Bravo Heath!
  • chonakchonak
    It's really lovely, and reminds me of Tavener's Apolytikion for St. Nicholas.

Heath, when you ran Lilypond, did you include the option to generate a MIDI file?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I really wish this had been posted, oh... 48 hrs ago, before I sent my selections to the program lady.
    Ah well.... Every feast day I have to tell myself- "This is not the last Christmas ever. This is not the last Holy Thursday. You can do that piece next year. You don't have to do every great piece ever this year."
    If it turns out I'm wrong about it being my last one, I expect I'll be in either too much pain or too much joy to worry about the songs I didn't get a chance to sing on earth. Let's hope for that joy one. (Speaking of which, I should go to confession before Holy Week gets under way...)
  • JDE
    That is really beautiful. Our Holy Thursday evening is done by combined ensembles, so even if I had seen it a little sooner, it would still have been too late. But I am linking to the file in OneNote for next year's music.

Thanks for this piece!
  • francis
    Heath:

If not too much to ask, can you include a grand staff for rehearsal only?
  • Heath
    Friends, thank you for the kind words! I don't get to compose as often as I'd like, but I certainly enjoy the creative aspect of it . . .

Chonak, I don't have a MIDI handy, I don't believe . . . would you like the .ly file and you could whip one out? (Are you a Lilypond guy?)

Adam, some folks plan out music selections months and months in advance . . . whereas I still haven't decided on a post-communion for Good Friday yet! Or Easter Vigil! : )

Francis, I'm sure I could do a reduction at some point, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon . . . Chonak?
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, Heath, send the Lilypond .ly file, and I can edit it to generate a MIDI file.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Gorgeous, Heath.
  • Heath, we read thru it twice and we noticed the pastor and the finance council standing outside the room. They were transfixed! You bet your boots on this every year begining a week from tonite being offered at our parish.
    I'm like you, a programming enigma! Keeps everyone on their toes.
  • conbrio
    Very nice and manageable for our little group. We're using it for sure this Thursday. Thanks for posting it.
  • Heath
    Selfishly bumping this, as some of you are planning Holy Week services. Me . . . I'm still planning music for this Sunday!
    Thanked by 1Spriggo