Congregational Mass Cards for New Missal
  • francis
    Yes... thank you AE!

Two in one day... square notes version and modern notation... what an organization!
  • CharlesW
    Very nice! I had copied the ones from ICEL/USCCB, but these are much better.
  • jpal
    Is anyone publishing (officially or unofficially) versions of the Ordinary with editorial markings (dots, episemas, etc.)? Or is that not a good idea?

I ask because I'm working on a pew card for our parish, including music for the ordinary with some editorial markings. It's one 11x17 sheet of cardstock, folded in half to make four pages. For the first time in parish history, we are not renewing our subscription missallete, so we need all the revised responses as well as music (our diocese is permitting Gloria/Sanctus/Mem acc in September, but we won't have a new hymnal until October).

I've attached a draft, and would appreciate any comments, particularly regarding the edited chants.

http://seas1.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/new_translation-pew_card.pdf

Jon
  • jpal - It looks VERY good! I wish someone though would take something like yours and or the one from MAGNIFICAT and simply insert the words INTROIT, GRADUAL, (TRACT, SEQUENCE), OFFERTORY and COMMUNION with little instruction, in red, that this is were such the "Proper Chants" should normally be sung. I realize space is at a premium. However, here is a golden opportunity for a little education and to get the "foot" in the door!
  • BenBen
    Wow, Jon. Great job!

The only thing I see is an interesting translation of offerte vobis pacem:

† Let us offer each other the sing of peace.

Also, for the prayer over the offerings, maybe it would be nice to put in something like this. It's often how I've seen it done:

...through Christ our lord.
    Amen.

:)
  • BenBen
    Jon, what program did you typeset your worship aid with?
  • jpal - Just one additional thought. Maybe the size of the musical portions (the staves, etc.), could be reduced just very slightly so as to allow a little more space for things like the Proper Chant titles. I thing that they would still be quite readable especially for us older folks. Just a side thought - does anyone remember the days when V. for Versicle and R. for Response were used instead of Priest and People?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just FYI, the Vatican II Hymnal does have added rhythmic marks in a way I think people will appreciate (very subtle).

Review copies of the Hymnal should be available next week. Please stay posted !!! I am excited.
  • francis
    jpal

very cool!

you have one wrong note in the gloria intonation.

great work!
  • Heath
    jpal, one more wrong note I spotted in the Gloria: penultimate measure--"God" should be la, not sol.

Looks very good overall!
  • jpal
    Thank you for the comments, they are most helpful!

Abbot: Yes, space is the big issue. I would love to add in the places where the propers are sung. Actually, at my parish it's not a problem, since they are already accustomed to having propers. I think you are correct about reducing the size of (some of) the chants. It will take some experimentation to find the perfect balance.

benyanke: I put this together in Pages on my Mac at work. The chants I did in Gregorio. I would be happy to post the *.pages file for anyone who would like to steal it!

francis & Heath: Thanks for catching those notes! I'll definitely fix it before it goes out...

Jeffrey: We are looking at your hymnal as a possibility for our parish (to replace the Glory & Praise which has been there for 35 years....). I suppose I should check your markings against mine and make sure I have the same thing!

I would still like feedback on the markings I do have, if anyone thinks something is out of place.

Jon