Spanish Hymnals with More Traditional Music
  • TCJ
    I'm quickly growing tired of the hymnals that I have to use for the Spanish Mass (Flor y Canto and another one which name I forget). Not only is the music so secular (for the most part), but most of the Mass settings are worthless with changed words, refrain Glorias and awful music. Plus, to make matters worse, one of the hymnals is the temporary kind which means changing numbers, swapped hymns, and the slow but sure removal of the more sane hymns in favor of secularized stuff.

In light of the above situation, I am about to start a search for a decent Spanish hymnal, though to date I have not heard of anything good. Granted, I've not really searched of yet either. Does anyone know of a decent one available? Not only would it save me headaches and make the Mass so much more reverent, but it would also save the parish money in the long run instead of having to purchase disposable hymnals every few months. Also, the pastor has a policy of "staying within the hymnal", so using an outside source for, say, Latin chants (Adoro Te, etc.) isn't much of an option (assuming I could even get anyone to sing that).

Any help would be appreciated. I've already seen the work on the Spanish Gloria HERE, which looks promising.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I have been looking for a couple of years and discovered nothing, but am still looking. Anyone have suggestions?
  • Kathy
    Jeff,

I don't mind Flor y Canto for hymns. It's not impossible to find truly excellent texts and Psalm settings. There's plenty of liberation theology, but some really great things, such as Dios no quiere, Quiero decir que si, Como estrella en claro cielo.

Would it be possible to talk your pastor into accepting "outside the hymnal" Mass settings, since the people don't use the hymnal very often for these?
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    this is a ... very difficult area indeed
  • ldknutson
    I'm told that the IVE Seminary has a very nice spanish hymnal that they are thinking about publishing - IVE Press. Contact them with your interest in this project!
    http://www.ivepress.org/
  • Erik P
    The Simple Spanish Propers modelled after The Simple English Propers would be very helpful. Good translations, simple gregorian formulas, nice-clear typesetting, etc.
  • mhjell
    Dumb question ... what hymnals are used in Mexico, the rest of Latin America, and Spain?
  • Not a dumb question. One parish I contacted in Spain wrote back: The Graduale Romanum.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • mantoniomantonio
    In my travels through Mexico, I have never seen a hymnal used in a parish. The people tend to sing the same songs over and over again. This isn't to say that there aren't some parishes who use hymnals; I have just never seen one.
    In Spain they also use the Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, send me a message. I have about 50 that I am not using.
    In the community of consecrated women where I live, we are taking a lot of songs from the CLN plus translating songs from French, Italian, and English to make our own Spanish and Latin hymnbook. Several other communities I know are also doing this.
    There is definitely a lack of good music editors in Mexico; Fernando Gil commented on this in the thread Sacred Music Down in Mexico.
    Thanked by 2benedictgal eft94530
  • I've mostly used Flor y Canto, editions 1 & 2. I think you have to use both editions just to get a handful of decent material.
    Cantoral Liturgico Nacional is very similar to FyC. I think I referred to it once as the Flor y Canto Beta. To be fair, there are some chants included in it.
    El Himnario is a Methodist (I think) hymnal in Spanish. Some Spanish versions of hymns just sound very awkward to me (Praise to the Lord & Alleluia Sing to Jesus come to mind), so I'd use it with caution if your Spanish-speaking parishioners are at all picky not just about language, but about style.
    Cantos del Pueblo de Dios, by WLP, is in my opinion better than FyC, but it's still not great.

The more you have, the more you have to choose from. If you take the 5 best hymns and the best mass setting from each of these mediocre hymnals, you still end up with a repertoire of 20 hymns and 4 mass settings that are at least usable.
  • benedictgal
    There might be some small ray of hope in that GIA will be releasing its own Spanish-language book. I have seen the previews and they look rather interesting. One of the songs included in the book is "Now the Green Blade Rises.". In my research I also learned that they code a few pieces from "Flor y Canto" were translated into English. I was also surprised to learn that GIA will also include a Spanish-language version of the ICEL chants. I have guarded optimism about this particular endeavor, given the fact that, as I understand it, GIA will be using "Gather Comprehensive" as its base.

I am interested in what the Spaniards have done with music. I hope that the "Kikos" have not totally influenced it.
  • benedictgal
    Gustavo.I received a complimentary copy of the third edition of "Flor y Canto" from OCP. About a week after I received it, OCP contacted me to seek my opinion of the book. I do. It think that the customer service representative was ready for my comments.

I told her that while I was grateful to have received the book, there were too many issues that would render it unsuitable for me to use. While they finally got rid of the illicit, paraphrased version of the Gloria (Gloria al Senor, marked "Tradicional"), there were a few settings of the Agnus Dei that added needless tropes.

As far as the songs are concerned, they have gone from bad to worse. Many of the pieces are set to music that is the opposite of sacred (I got hold of some of the audio).

I felt bad for the poor customer service representative who had to take down my feedback. She offered to have the director of Hispanic Ministry, Pedro Rubalcava, call me. I had spoken to him before about the bilingual setting of the Exultet that he had composed and my concern that we should not be splitting texts into different languages. I also told him that the Churchbwould be better served if we had a book of Spanish Chant. He said that no one had ever told him that. He has yet to call me again. I am not holding my breath.

Before the OCP representative and I hung up, she made it a point to tell me that the USCCB had approved the book. This greatly disheartened me, given the fact that the BCDW may not have really examined the book as thoroughly as I believe it should have. Maybe I should just send this to the Congregation for Divine Worship as they are concerned more about music than the USCCB seems to be.
  • I am new to this forum, but certainly not new to music, or even Spanish music. I have for the greater portion of my life, worked in both Spanish and English music. I studied organ performance, as well as learned several different Spanish instruments, and have never, ever seen a hymnal to the degree that you guys are looking for. I have a vast and very large collection of spanish hymnals, and not just the Flor y Cantos and Cantos del pueblo de Dios. There are hymnals that are complete with hymns that are translated from English into Spanish, such as Praise to the Lord the almighty, Holy Holy Holy (Nicaea), etc.... but they are protestant hymnals, and if you wish to use them, you will have to examine the theology of some of the hymns, as they have the protestant twist that may get you into trouble with a very well minded Spanish priest, who is paying attention.

On a side note: to the poster above, just a heads up, the Cantos del Pueblo de Dios, is even more liberal and charismatic resource, than Flor y Canto. They have a larger content of the charistmatic music that is not in Flor y Canto, so I definitely wouldn't call Cantos del Pueblo de Dios by WLP/JS Paluch, a better resource by any means. Most especially not in line with the thinking of great sacred music.

We have to examine why it will be an uphill battle to find a great Spanish resource. If we look at the churches in latin america, you probably could count on your hands, the churches that boast grand pipe organs, or even an electronic organ at all. This comes from my own first hand experience. When I was in Puerto Rico, my homeland, I was at the cathedral in the Condado, and was expecting to hear that pipe organ play, as the procession of the Archbishop processed in, and to my shock, it never even sounded. What sounded was the Cuatro, flutes, and a few other instruments, to the sound of the cultural music of PR. This is the same scenario of music found even in Peru, as my wife is from Peru. Most Peruvians think the "piano" is actually the organ. They have no idea what the difference is. I have had this conversation, as I tried to educate many of the people I have encountered in the Spanish communities, as to what an Organ is, and what a piano is. So to even think that they would know the calibre or quality of music, which we are trying to attain, or reinstate in our English culture in the US, is an uphill battle.

Spain for hymnals???? no, hardly. In fact the Catholic Church in Spain, over the last few years, has been suffering with even lower attendance than over here in the US. When I was in Spain for a time, you could see the many under utilized organs, and churches that were plain empty. Over the last few years, the Charismatic movement has been very big, and sacred music is slowly taking an even further backseat to the more modern music. It is almost as if Spain is trying to catch up to Latin America in a sense. I played for an Easter Sunday mass in a church in Palma de Mallorca back in 94, and would you all guess what the Gloria, the pastor gave me was???? Guess>???? The battle of hymn of the Republic,,,, that infamous Gloria that is even used over here in the US as a "Gloria" Later on as I matured in sacred music, I thought back to that time when I played there, and thought OMG, I can't believe that was the high piece of the mass, and that in Spain of all places, I heard or even played the Battle hymn of the Republic. I thought Spain was this great conservative, high mass, Organ only kind of country, and found out to my dismay, that it is not. In fact a lot of the Charismatic music that has come out of Latin America, originated where??? Spain!!!

Sorry for the long post on this, but I am very, very familiar with the question and route that you guys are asking, and it simply is rare or unheard of, to find resources that even come close to what we are trying to do with reforming music to a more sacred tone. It's like asking where the great pipe organs of Africa are?!?! those people would just laugh us out of their country, as their music and culture is not of big pipe organs, sacred song. It's a cultural thing.

Good luck on the search, if you come up with anything, please pass it along. I would be curious to see some progress being made, but with the realization that we have a long ways to go just in English music, I want to pick my battles one at a time.

Michael
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze eft94530
  • (duplicate post)
  • mantoniomantonio
    Thanks to everyone for your valuable insights!
    I noticed that the 1994 version of the Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional is available for download on this site: http://musikliturgik.blogspot.com/2010/07/cantoral-liturgico-nacional-de-espana.html Cantoral completo, 1994 edition
    Finale versions of the files plus MIDI files: http://www.musicaliturgica.com/cancioneroliturgico/
    If anyone is still interested in a hard copy of either the 1982 or the 1994 edition, just send me a message. (The two editions are slightly different, although I haven't done an in-depth comparison. I just noticed that a few songs I like from the 1982 edition are not in the 1994 edition.) I will be going to the United States in May or July and can send them by post while I'm there.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Maureen
    Given the amazing depth of Spanish-language sacred poetry, I'm astonished that people would want to translate English hymns at all.

I realize that not all Spanish-language poems with religious themes are suitable for congregational liturgical use, and I realize that vocabulary (and sometimes grammar) has changed a lot between times and countries (especially in Latin America, land of a thousand different vocabulary sets). But I can't believe a publishing house can't find at least 200 or so suitable hymn texts that are by Spanish-language Catholic authors, and set them to suitable Spanish-heritage and/or Church Latin-heritage tunes.

Heck, you could probably have suitable texts restricted only to canonized saints, and still wind up with several thousand. There's so much great sacred poetry out there! It's a Spanish-language specialty, I swear!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Maureen
    The other thing I can't figure out is why Catholic hymnal publishers (and particularly ones doing Spanish hymnals) don't have more hymns for saints.

I mean, I thought we were Catholic and got to have some Catholic celebratory fun sometimes, but noooooo.
  • Maureen, would you happen to know of Spanish-language sacred poetry that's in the public domain? Or a site where the suitable texts are hosted? I seriously doubt the publishers are going to take up this cause, so it seems like it will have to be a grassroots development.

benedictgal, sorry to hear the most recent FyC is even worse than the previous ones. But now I know. The USCCB made a mistake in approving that book. But that topic deserves its own book.

MichaelM, Cantos DPDD has fewer songs, some of which are, if not in text then in style of music, slightly more suitable than the majority of songs in FyC, but again this is just IMO. Both hymnals are certainly cut from the same cloth and are not very good. I also thought Spain was this conservative, very Catholic nation. Then I met musicians and other people who have lived there. Spain now is NOT the Spain of Tomas Luis de Victoria. But that topic also deserves (and probably has) its own book.

My parents are Cuban. I speak Spanish. I was raised going to Spanish mass. I got into music, then sacred music. When I look back, I tell you, it's really a shame. There's tremendous potential for Spanish sacred music. It's currently being wasted. It causes me emotional discomfort when I perform the current rep for Spanish masses. Even when performed artistically, sensitively, and with proper decorum, almost all of it falls short.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • aldrich
    I am also researching Spanish sacred music in the Philippines, and there are lots of them here, but apparently underutilised and easily forgotten. Some have persisted, such as the No mas amor que el tuyo (the Filipino hymn to the Sacred Heart), the Nacio, nacio, pastores (one of the many versions in the Spanish-speaking world), and others. A month ago, an elderly lady handed me copies of two Spanish motets for Communion (Venid, venid and Jesus amante). I have yet to hear them properly, but when she sang them, they were sacred.

I don't understand why there seems to be a dearth in Spanish traditional hymns and sacred music. My devotionary lists at least five of these hymns (some I know, some I know not), and I am sure every devotionary I will encounter will have a different repertoire. There is even an entire book (a copy of which I possess) for Spanish liturgical music composed by Marcelo Adonay, ranging from gozos for different novenas (in honour of the different patron saints venerated by the Filipinos) to chanted rosaries and Passion rosaries, from regal Masses (Missae regiae) to grand orchestral Masses. A second volume is even underway.

And these do not include the countless cantorals that abound in colonial parishes in the archipelago.
  • TCJ
    It's been over a year since I originally posted this and everyone is still asking questions and no answers to be found except a snippet here and there, it seems. Fortunately (for me) I no longer have to work with Spanish hymns, so the problem is not mine anymore, but I hope those who still have to do this can find something decent in the future.
  • ryandryand
    I have little to offer in the realm of hymns, but for the ordinary, you could use these:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/6631/accompaniments-for-spanish-ordinaries#Item_1
    Not my translations or accompaniments ... just my transcription of Fr. Spencer's work, combined with NOH and VII Hymnal accompaniments. The Gloria is not completed yet, but is on my list of projects ... along with the other chant mass that Fr. Spencer has set to Spanish text.
  • I have found some Spanish hymnals. These were published by the Methodist Church and the Presbytarian Church. However, they are out of print. I too am getting frustrated with the small pickings. However, I have found a website that has translated old hymns which are pretty good. Here is the link... http://www.himnosevangelicos.com/ this will help for a while. Blessings
  • Good news! Cokesbury has 2 hymnals in Spanish. At $20 a piece they are a steal! They are called Mil Voces. Rejoice!
  • PennyPenny
    I use the Diocesis de Ponce Cantoral. You can download PDFs of individual hymns.

Here's Padre Jose Bevilacqua's site compiling his various compositions including Mass settings, psalmody, and choral works. Padre Bevilacqua is an Argentinian priest of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament.
  • benedictgal
    Bump, as we really need some solid resources.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    GIA's Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song

It has a lot of the folk, the goofy, the mariachi, and the sacro-pop.

BUT

It also has:
    - plainchant Mass settings in Latin, Spanish, and English.
    - Traditional English and Spanish hymns, translated into Spanish and English
  • We've had a lot of wonderful response from our bilingual hymnal Oramos Cantando/We Pray in Song.

I'm happy to send complimentary copies (within reason) for review and comments to anybody interested.

Matt

mattm@giamusic.com
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • I have a complimentary copy of Oramos Cantando/We Pray in Song that I received a while ago for evaluation. It is indeed a very nice hymnal as just about everything is bilingual and most of the traditional English language hymns are also translated.

I only have two issues with this hymnal.
    1. Some of the translations seem a bit forced. Mainly due to the fact that the same sentence in one language usually has a different number of syllables in the other language. Of course it also depends on exactly how you translate it.

2. Since this book contains the "goofy" music as well as the decent hymns, I'm afraid that if I (the organist) or the current music director were to leave, my church would probably not look for another organist. Instead, they would take the first person with some musical experience (most commonly, guitar). Then they would gravitate back towards the "goofy" music, which is usually easier to play.

I hope that second issue didn't come off in a negative way.

Also, I am trying to put together a small hymnal of decent or re-written Spanish hymns and I am thinking about translating some of the traditional English hymns as well. It may take some time since there needs to be at least a few hundred hymns for it to be effective. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions for this project, I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • benedictgal
    I have to agree with the above assessment, Matt. While there are some good things, I cannot really recommend this book to my parish because our music ministers will gravitate towards the bad.

Why GIA insists on promoting bad music like that produced by non-Catholic composers (who do not understand basic Catholic sacramental theology-Marty Haugen) and "catholic" composers (who are more interested in pushing their own agenda rather than Church teaching-David Haas) is beyond me. It is BAD enough to have to endure this drek in English. Must we subjected to additional punishment in Spanish?

The same also holds true for the Spanish music chosen from OCP. It is certainly BAD enough to have to deal with this stuff in one language. It is twice as bad to have to put up with it in two languages.

Insofar as the psalms are concerned, why could you have not worked with the beautiful Gelineau tones? These are far superior.

I am preparing a review of the bilingual GIA book for my liturgical blog. I really wanted to find something useful in it, but, it is too much of the same.

It seems to me that GIA is moving further and further away from its namesake, paying less attention to the beauty of Gregorian music and more towards the saccharine pop that OCP is offering.

If GIA really wanted to do something that would benefit the Church, it should look at composing Trilingual propers so that the faithful can actually be exposed to what we should have been using in the first place.

Organist27, I do hope that your hymnal fares well. I would certainly be among the first to get hold of it.
  • benedictgal
    Adam, lest we forget that Fr. Matthew Specer was, as I understand it, the FIRST ONE to incorporate the ICEL chants in to Spanish. We are still using his compositions at my parish. I just wish he could have continued to do more. :(
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jani
    We recently formed a Spanish choir; I'm really trying to steer them towards the music they are familiar with, but they don't seem to have a core group of old standbys, so to speak, that they rely on. They would sing OCP' s translated hymns, but I think if people want a Spanish mass with Spanish music, that music shouldn't be an after-thought translation of an.
  • ronkrisman
    Organist27, thank you for your comments. As you rightly pointed out, Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song is a bilingual (English and Spanish) hymnal, so it does not really fit the title of this discussion. From its inception OC/WPiS was designed to be bilingual, especially geared to the growing number of parishes in the USA that have a significant number of "anglos" and Latinos as parishioners, that want to have one book in the pews, that desire a more unified repertoire for its all-English and all-Spanish liturgical celebrations, and that usually have more bilingual celebrations than the few per year that many parishes have for special celebrations (the Triduum celebrations, for instance).

I do not understand your first issue about translations. When it comes to ritual music, the translations are from approved liturgical books. So the syllabic length of texts can vary (sometimes widely) between the English and the Spanish. A melodic phrase composed to serve both Spanish and English texts will often need ad libitum slurs and ties, as the example below illustrates.

As to the translations of metrical hymns, in OC/WPiS the same meter and rhyme scheme is usually found in both the English and Spanish texts. If the original text is the English one, the Spanish text often cannot incorporate every one of the images of the original English, if for no other reason than the fact that it usually takes about 50 percent more syllables to say literally in Spanish what is said in English.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ronkrisman
    Jani, if your opinion about translations ruled the day, we would not be able to sing Adoro te devote or Tantum ergo in any language but Latin; and we could not sing "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty" in any language but German. In fact, no translation whatever could ever be used since translations are always "afterthoughts."

Sorry, but I think you stereotype Latinos when you write that they should not sing translations of things originally in English or another language. They are just as happy to sing a Spanish translation of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" as Anglos and Croatians are to sing an English or Croatian translation of "Pescador de Hombres."

And you should probably have a discussion with benedictgal. It sounds as if the things you want your choir to sing because they are familiar OCP fare are the same things benedictgal wants to avoid because they are familiar OCP fare.
  • francis
    we would not be able to sing Adoro te devote or Tantum ergo in any language but Latin
    yes
  • chonakchonak
    They are just as happy to sing a Spanish translation of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name" as Anglos and Croatians are to sing an English or Croatian translation of "Pescador de Hombres."

I guess Fr. K intends that as meaning that English-speakers and Croatians are quite happy to sing it. To me it means "not very happy". Presenting "Pescador" is pandering to a low level of musical taste.

Surely the Spanish version of "Holy God" must have attained more acceptance than 1979's "Pescador". There have been Spanish translations of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name"/"Grosser Gott, Wir Loben Dich" over 100 years. And that's not even counting the stylistic differences between the two songs.

It would be a fine thing to look for newly composed Spanish-language hymns suitable for use at Mass, rather than rely too much on recycled products from the English-language music publishers.

We can't count on them. Isn't "Pan de Vida" grammatically incoherent Spanish ("poder es servir"), still uncorrected after all these years?
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • Jani
    Fr. Krisman, I hardly think it's any more stereotypical for Mexican transplants to want to sing music they are familiar with, than it is for them desiring American priests to say mass in the Spanish language. If they want a Spanish mass, it should be a Spanish mass. In addition, the whole point of the group was for them to sing what they wanted. I am simply the one who is helping them learn to sing what and when- the order of mass and so on.
  • ronkrisman
    There have been Spanish translations of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name"/"Grosser Gott, Wir Loben Dich" over 100 years. And that's not even counting the stylistic differences between them.

References, please. And if you can actually locate one, is the meter 7 8 7 8 77?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I am so glad Fr. Krisman is on this forum.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Adam Wood
  • benedictgal
    The content is disappointing. Furthermore, just because something is "familiar", that does not make it good.

I wonder what benchmark Fr. Krishna and company used for this book. I daresay that they seemed to have ignored this important one from Sacramentum Caritatis:

Liturgical song

42. In the ars celebrandi, liturgical song has a pre-eminent place. (126) Saint Augustine rightly says in a famous sermon that "the new man sings a new song. Singing is an expression of joy and, if we consider the matter, an expression of love" (127). The People of God assembled for the liturgy sings the praises of God. In the course of her two-thousand-year history, the Church has created, and still creates, music and songs which represent a rich patrimony of faith and love. This heritage must not be lost. Certainly as far as the liturgy is concerned, we cannot say that one song is as good as another. Generic improvisation or the introduction of musical genres which fail to respect the meaning of the liturgy should be avoided. As an element of the liturgy, song should be well integrated into the overall celebration (128). Consequently everything -- texts, music, execution -- ought to correspond to the meaning of the mystery being celebrated, the structure of the rite and the liturgical seasons (129). Finally, while respecting various styles and different and highly praiseworthy traditions, I desire, in accordance with the request advanced by the Synod Fathers, that Gregorian chant be suitably esteemed and employed (130) as the chant proper to the Roman liturgy (131).

A lot of what was selected from the Spanish language side as well as some from the English, certainly "fail to respect the meaning of the liturgy" and these "should be avoided." Was there really a need to rehash theologically and spiritual weak stuff from Marty Haugen and David Haas, and "Pescador de Hombres"? These are fair questions that GIA would rather not answer.

SC 42 is a solid benchmark that I will use when posting my review.
  • Jani, the reason "they don't seem to have a core group of old standbys" is because most of the Spanish "church music" in use today has been written since the mid 1900's and new songs keep on being published, so every generation seems to have their own definition of "traditional" songs. From what I have seen, there have been no hymnals that really support or contain any ACTUAL Traditional Spanish language liturgical music.

The main issue that I believe this discussion is based on (and definitely one of my biggest problems as a church musician in a bilingual church) is, in the United States, there is really no solid source of good quality liturgical music in Spanish. In English, while there are many songs of lower and lower quality these days, there is still a huge amount of traditional music for choir and organ that one can find.

I know there exist quality liturgical in Spanish, I just don't understand why everyone seems to think this Folky, Ranchy, Guitar music is what "Hispanics are used to". This is not our church tradition. If you take a trip to Mexico, you will find that just about every church contains a pipe organ and is often used to accompany polyphonic choirs.

As if that wasn't bad enough, in the OCP hymnals, most of the English hymns that have been translated into Spanish, have been really "dumbed down". Same with the psalms and mass parts, with many of the harmonies being eliminated and having only the melody left.

I really hate to say this, but this is actually a bit insulting. I doubt this is what they intended at all but, many of us feel that it is as if they are saying "Hispanics obviously don't have the skills to use an organ or SATB choir. Let's just give them songs with three chords max and a melody to sing. Oops, can't forget the 3\4 meter to make it polka-ish."

I don't want to change everybody's mind so they agree polyphony and organ liturgical music is better. I just want a choice. Which we do not have at the moment. Not in Spanish.
  • Jani
    I don't know what they sing in Mexico and I certainly don't mean to denigrate what they do sing. My point is that I am trying to give this choir what it wants, and while I said they would be willing (because they really want to sing!) to sing "I Am the Bread of Life" or whatever transposed, none of them have actually proposed doing so.

I live in a Mexican-rich part of my state - one of our mission parishes is 100% Mexican and they unashamedly sing "Folky, Ranchy, Guitar.." music. The choir in my parish, however, doesn't seem to want to do that - their idea, not mine. I presumed this thread was to help people like us.

It really isn't helpful to try and join a conversation and continually get slammed and labeled. My experiences in my parish are what they are, and I guess whatever that makes me, well so be it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I know there exist quality liturgical in Spanish, I just don't understand why everyone seems to think this Folky, Ranch(y)-ero, Guitar music is what "Hispanics are used to". This is not our church tradition. If you take a trip to Mexico, you will find that just about every church contains a pipe organ and is often used to accompany polyphonic choirs.

In all candor, this is a conversation that cannot come to consensus or any absolute remedy here, or in any regional or global venue. Everything that O27 says above is not inaccurate or incorrect. But I somewhat think it's folly for anyone of any ethnicity or cultural perspective to project what any group is either "used to" or "prefers." The very notion of defining cultural aspects of what constitutes a "Hispanic" or "Latino" demographic itself is a fool's errand. As CMAA is in the "sacred, universal and beautiful" advocacy business, no one here is likely to disagree that some sort of juridical/jurisdictional interest ought to be afforded Spanish language congregations' access to those criteria.
    Of course, in the current climate in which ecclesial focus is elsewhere anywhere but liturgics, and that Papal and other "event" Masses seem to corroborate the in-culturation ethos (Ramirez "Criolla" etc.) it's my contention that the only way out of the "my way or the highway" morass is to think "adelante," or move forward. Move forward in the sense of composers such as Bartlett et al, and not sit in perpetual dispute over looking backwards to "tradicional.....villancico......mariachi.....conjunto.... whatever." Crafting a healthier musical future in this realm and others will likely still require some measure of eclecticism and tolerance, some powerful event Mass exemplars of the polyphonic traditions associated with the western/Spanish hemisphere, and at least a century's worth of patience.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jani, I didn't mean to label you or accuse anyone of being anything. I was really talking about the publishing companies, particularly OCP which has significant influence in many of the churches and chapels I've been to here in the U.S.

Melofluent, I think I see what you are trying to say. I believe we've strayed a bit from the original topic, which was to help locate Spanish liturgical music, not argue about why it's difficult to find.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jani
    I have an idea. Let's bag the vernacular and sing Latin. Problem solved.
  • benedictgal
    I live along the Texas Mexican border. Lamentably, the music is horrid on both sides of the Rio Grande. Sadly, Mariachis are used a lot, even in funeral Masses.

If you were to view the OLG Mass from the Basilica in Mexico City, you will, oddly enough find that Mariachis are not used during the Mass. They show up before, along with the Mexican celebrities who sing to Our Lady of Guadalupe, but, they are NOT a part of the Mass.

What is just as bad is that they also use OCP in Nuevo Laredo.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jani, I would honestly be very much on board with such an idea. I just don't think many people in my parish would go for it.

benedictgal, o.0 they're spreading...
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • benedictgal
    I will be releasing my review of the GIA bilingual book some time this week. Whatever hopes I had that this would be the ideal replacement for OCP are gone. One is just as bad as the other. I really wanted to like and use this book, but, it's got equal parts of bad English music and horrible Spanish music.

I don't think that Fr. Krisman has done due diligence. Hopefully, Adam Bartlett can do something in Spanish. I am tired of music for Spanish-language Masses being relegated to the status of the red-headed stepchild.
    Thanked by 2Jani CHGiffen
  • Jani
    Well 27, since you mentioned it (after I did ;-) ), yesterday at our choir practice I asked the group if they would be amenable to learning O Salutaris for Corpus Christi and even the two just-barely teenagers were all for it. I am slowly, by my own example of reading Spanish then reading the English counterpart to myself, convincing this group that if I can wing Spanish and Latin, they can wing English and Latin. So far so good, actually. :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Jani, the reason "they don't seem to have a core group of old standbys" is because most of the Spanish "church music" in use today has been written since the mid 1900's and new songs keep on being published, so every generation seems to have their own definition of "traditional" songs

This does not seem unique to Spanish.
  • Kathy
    Very important conversation. Rather overdue, pastorally. Perhaps some of the fireworks are due to the fact that fact has outrun theory for so very long.

On the upside, I know a pastor who went and forbade the drums at the Spanish Mass. So there's movement.

Next step would be Abel Marco getting a US-compatible PDF generator...

There's a ton to do in this area, and I'm all for setting the bar high. No language group should be left out of liturgical excellence.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Good call, Kathy, on the Abel Marco.
    But as you indicate, the upside is often limited to one-shot locales.
    I actually think that if Spanish language experts, whether Cortez, Meza, would take a cue from our esteemed, learned friend Pedro D'Aquino, that a sort of genetically authentic "Nueva musica Catolicos" (sp?) would be given time to germinate, grow to fruition and be harvested as a collective, the exact opposite of what happened here and elsewhere in Anglophone and some non-Anglophone regions. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Germany.)