Having Doubts about Myself
  • chonakchonak
    It's sad and painful. Be assured that you're not alone in feeling distress when the music for Mass is not dignified or otherwise not suitable stylistically, or does not even present the text integrally. (Happily for me, the parish where I sing in choir has very respectable music for Mass, but I attend at other churches on Saturdays, and the music at most is mediocre.)

At least we can be consoled by the fact that many abuses of the text will go away when the new Missal translation is implemented. Over time, the dignity of the Missal prayers, showing through the new texts, will have its effect on souls, and that will help to correct other weaknesses in the celebration of Mass.
  • benedictgal
    I hope so. The other issue centers around the fact that my pastor tells us that the Mass is not over until the last note of the recessional (he calls it "sending forth) song is complete. The problem is that the Roman Missal is silent on this issue. It seems to me that we are imposing something on the faithful when Rome does not even mandate anything on the matter.
  • I sat in a meeting where a pastor stated that the OF Mass is not a Latin Mass.

When priests make statements that are not accurate, the seminary and diocese are to be blamed for not educating and re-educating...

The president of the AGO wrote that worship is 80% music. And people wonder why the AGO is often not taken seriously. I wonder if some priests see themselves as teachers and counselors and possibly only see saying Mass as an obligation of the job?
  • BGal, despite the disagreements we had initially, it occured to me to ask whether "the powers that be," including your pastor, would welcome positive, encouraging letters from some of us who are DM's with supportive pastors and diverse music programs?
    I suspect not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Progress can be achieved. One can see that at JDE's thread "Darkness."
    And it needs be said that the "fall back" position of citing Rome, mandates and even the black and white legislation even if you send to someone by registered mail, is just as likely to be dismissed from the get go by hardened and, God forbid, clericalist hearts.
    But it's not impossible unless your efforts are from outside of their bubble/comfort zone. You have to be part of the fold, willing to subsume some of your agenda, and persuade folks from gaining their trust and exposing them to the thousands of positive videos produced by CCW et al, or getting a real shot caller to be willing to attend a CMAA event.
    Peace and blessings to you,
    C
  • JDE
    BGal, echoing what Charles wrote, do read the thread "As Darkness Descends."

There is always hope. However, I had to put my head down and sell hot dogs for a while to be allowed to continue doing chant-by-stealth, and now the chant is moving more into "principium locum," as the document says. Yesterday morning before Mass, two of my men approached me separately and asked, "So when are we going to do more chant?" I was beaming, and my heart was singing. Their rendition of the chant was not perfect by a long shot, but it was enthusiastically sung, and they now have an appetite for more.

There is ALWAYS hope.
  • Yep, don't hold up in the Alamo! ;-) Christian's advice from Germany works. If you go to my parish website, you'll see under ministries, liturgical, music a number of groups. One of them is our resident garage schola of only three gentlemen. I told their story over at Chant Cafe, just look in the archives of my articles.
    I have a schola that sings chant, propers, polyphony, Rice settings weekly.
    When I die, two things will happen:
    1. Noel inherits my vocabulary, for reasons I can't fathom.
    2. The garage schola, not my own choir, will chant the EF Gregorian REQUIEM for the repose of my soul. I want that to be my final gift to my parish, the sheer power and beauty of that particular liturgy.

But, as I've also indicated in many posts and articles, and frankly why I think Jeffrey Tucker keeps me hanging around, is that I also accept with humility that I cannot strip away, of my own volition, authentically good contemporary compositions that I deem worthy for liturgical use, ala the "Adam Wood" approach. I can still play serious classical style guitar better than the young rockers at the Youth Mass, and that will remain a valuable commodity as we move into the future. But I'll also conduct Mozart's REQUIEM this May 5th in a concert presentation. Flexibility gives DM's places to philosophically maneuver and persuade.
    So, if I can be of personal assistance, let me know. "cculbreth (at) tccov (dot) org
  • Maureen
    You know...

If there's anybody in the parish who has a speech impediment, or is mute, or had one of those operations where they put a hole in your throat, or strained their voices cheering at the basketball game, they might not be particularly happy about the idea that they aren't participating in Mass unless they can sing. Without any reference to your situation (because really, it is separate), if you hear that they're not happy, you might want to encourage such a person to speak to Father about it. With any luck, they already have.

(And obviously, all those old ladies with squeaky voices are wasting their time, and so are the kids who can't read the hymns or sing on key.... Illiterate people who don't happen to know the song... Blind people, unless they have Braille hymnals or know the songs by heart... Foreign language speakers... People who don't happen to have enough hymnals in their pew.... Wow, the implications are HUGE. Obviously a lot of people should just stay home and not venture to show their insufficient eyes or throats or brains at church, because they're just going to Hell. Yep, it's becoming clear to me that Judas' whole problem at the Last Supper was that he wouldn't sing contemporary settings of psalms. All that "selling out Jesus to the hierarchy" stuff was just made up, right?)

(Fortunately, God is gentle with us when we mindlessly say silly things with massive theological and praxis implications. Or so I hope devoutly, because I've said stupid platitudes with horrid implications often enough. Keep a forgiving attitude toward the people giving you heck and the people saying silly things.)
  • IanWIanW
    BG,

Chill, as I believe they say in California [am I right, Charles?]. As liturgical musicians, we aim to serve God, the Church and our fellow worshippers, while participating in the Liturgy that is and includes the ordinary means of our encounter with God. That’s quite a religious, practical and psychological handful. In the context of your cry from the heart, it may pay to focus on two particular issues: the practicalities of your commendable desire to see liturgical music in your parish move closer to the Church’s ideal; and your own experience of the liturgy and musical preparation for it.

Few of us get to worship and work in a parish whose liturgical music reflects the best of tradition. Our task, then, is to influence for the good. This isn’t going to happen if we upset people. There are various good strategies, but they all involve giving people a glimpse of the beauty and practicality of what’s possible, given available resources. We might join or start up a garage schola. We might cooperate with parish musicians who don’t share our vision, but who are willing to work with us for a major festival or other special occasion. What won’t get us anywhere is repeated confrontation. That isn’t to say we shouldn’t be prepared to firmly voice our views in an informed and polite way when the occasion arises. It does mean, though, that we should pick our ground carefully, and acknowledge the practicalities and the good will of others, even where we disagree with them.

On the other hand, we all have to come to terms with what we’re comfortable with, week in week out. I have friends who would share your vision, but who are happy to get involved in other kinds of Church music, either because it goes with the job, or because they want to improve the imperfect. Speaking personally, I long ago realised that I wouldn’t be happy doing that week in, week out, so I don’t. I restrict music-making in my own parish to the once a month when the schola sings, and major festivals. The alternative is to have my weekly experience of the liturgy negatively influenced by music that I believe to be antithetical to it at a very deep level. I would rather have no liturgical music than that. However, because it’s such a personal matter I don’t judge my friends who feel otherwise, and I regret that some have felt it necessary to tell you how you should or should not manage it.
  • benedictgal
    I actually considered serving as a cantor at my parish, but, I could not, in good conscience, sing most of the drek that is used. The sad thing is that no one sings, especially when Spirit and Song is used. When the choir is not there and the parochial vicar celebrates Mass, he chooses traditional hymns and everyone sings.
  • BruceL
    benedictgal,

For what it's worth: this is a good thing to take to prayer, and ask others to pray about. As IanW says, there is never a really ideal situation: there are always trade-offs. It is fair to "opt-out" if things are just too bad in terms of execution or repertoire; on the other hand, if you are dealing with people of good will and have the musicality and professionalism to present a better alternative to the usual diet of sacro-pop, then it would be better to stay around and do what you can. We often do not realize the effect (good or bad) we have on others in any given activity we participate in.

The first year in my job, I started to have some doubts about how things were progressing. So, before anything "big" coming up in the music program (Easter, Christmas, special Vespers, even the children's choir singing a normal Sunday Mass!), I would ask many of the parishioners for prayers. While it's good to ask anyone for this, I especially focused on the kids of the parish, older folks, those with an illness or long-term condition, and those whom I often saw making a visit or praying at Eucharistic Adoration. I believe this has made a real difference in how people perceive what I am trying to do, even if they don't always agree with my choices (which I like to think are as close as possible to the Church's choices, in my given situation!)

So, don't neglect prayer and sacrifice for these intentions, especially in the Lenten season when there are a lot of graces available in this regard. It's obvious that we must have as much professional competence as possible (ongoing lessons, continuing ed, hopefully a college degree in music if we are directing a program and are gainfully employed in it), but we are, after all, musicians working for the Church, so the prayer is crucial as a way of configuring our talents and desires to those of the Lord.
  • catpower
    “The "what should be" never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no "what should be," there is only what is.”
    quoted by Lenny Bruce
  • benedictgal
    I went to the Spanish-language Mass on Saturday evening and again to the English ("youth") Mass the next morning. What saddened me was that there were no Lenten Hymns. The English music was all from Spirit and Song. There was just a huge disconnect between the music and the liturgical season. I told someone that I would love to help as a cantor, but, when I was informed that I would not have a part in selecting the music, I was discouraged. I cannot, in good conscience, sing sub-standard music.