Women at the foot of the Cross(roads)
  • Last night Wendy and I returned from a rehearsal preparing for the Mozart Requiem, and about 9:20pm PST my cell rang. Name on the cell read "Mary Ann Carr Wilson," so just as we were lapsing into DVR therapy, I paused the TV and happily answered. MA exchanged warm greetings with both of us. I asked her if Dom (her fourth son) had still to make his entrevous into the world (he and she are in negotiations!) She mentioned she wanted to connect with a few friends as it appeared that their loving family would soon transition to welcoming and caring for a blessed new baby, and she didn't know whether she'd be able to casually "chat" with her CMAA friends for some time. We talked some liturgy talk-how's everything in your parish?- How fortunate some of us are to be making progress- prayers for those who seem distraught, etc. But MA's foremost concern was for peace in Wendy/my hearts over some work issues, and was gladdened that her prayers helped.
    I cannot express how much my life has changed because of the unsolicited, unconditional love offered me by all the women in my life: my wife of almost 38 years, our wonderful, honest, funny and productive daughters, women who have come, stayed and gone in my choirs all my life who became lifelong friends (in the Sirach definition, see this Friday's first lesson), and in the last five years the incredible women of CMAA.
    Are there any stronger witnesses to Christ and His Church that the women of CMAA singing on the planet now? I realized that immediately when I first registered for 06 Colloquium in DC. Though the smile of Mahrt warms the soul, the smile of Turkington compels joy and laughter, the smile of Tucker says "you will know joy," let me tell you the smile of AOZ is a purely sung fiat that lodges in one's heart telling "All things are possible with God." And from then, their ranks became a palette of pure joy and love, increasing in hue and brilliance: MA, KP, G, Jenny, MJB, Susan, Marajoy, June, Janet, MaryMz, Mia, MaryRose, Jessica and all these whom I've met personally at colloquia/intensives. And those herein MSF: BG, Maureen, Brigid et al.
    Where would we be without these, our faithful partners in our apostolate?
    I know GregP will get this: Wendy and I were "returning to earth" after Sunday's Masses and decided to view Peter Jackson's epic remake of "King Kong." Amazing film. But is there a better depiction of how the blustery, ballooned, and buffo traits of the male homo sapiens' inclination towards "being King of the Forest" is brought low by the pure, simple and forgiving love of the beauty that is within a true woman? Maybe not in cinema, save for a few scenes in "The Passion of the Christ." But Jesus was never just "King of the Forest" as we men tend to act out. But how wonderful it is to image the quiet measure of Mary of Nazareth at her Son's side at Cana, the ultimate fiat of her pieta, and then becoming mother of us all, after having accepting God's will at every turn, the undaunted search and then relief when finding her boy "doing My Father's work" amid the Times Square hubbub of the Temple, and lastly a tireless and tender provider of all for the infant, poor and lowly, whom she knew was Lord of all in Bethlehem.
    Thank you MA for the joyful surprise of your call last night. In a world where uncertainty stalks us virtually everywhere, just your name and your voice, along with all those of our beloved women, give us a glimpse of heaven, even if just the size of a seed that surely leads only to peace, grace and joy.
    Magnificat, indeed.
  • Charles, all I can say is, thank you for a beautifully written meditation. I only know you and Wendy "from afar", but I am grateful that you have shared with us from your heart and your spirit, a beautiful part of your world.