GC not European, but Universal
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think one of the problems here, in addressing the original question, is that (IN GENERAL- and I know the following is a gross generalization) liberals and conservatives have a very different intellectual framework for understanding culture, especially comparative cultural studies.
    Conservatives tend to have a cultural viewpoint that liberals would call "Eurocentric." People who have this point of view generally wouldn't describe it that way.
    Liberals tend to have a cultural viewpoint that conservatives would call "relativistic." People who have this point of view generally wouldn't describe it that way.
    (BTW- Those viewpoints are not exclusive to those labels, there are plenty of Eurocentric liberals and vice versa. Also, "Eurocentric" is not a perfect term, but there is not a better one that I know of. Try not to get wrapped up in "but I'm not European.")

In fact, the way people tend to describe their own viewpoint is, "the way things really are" or "facts." That's because whichever viewpoint you have (and there are others, those two are just the most common), every new piece of information that comes in is processed through the lens you already have in place, and your interpretation of that new data becomes another bit of reinforcement to your own viewpoint.

Someone with a relativistic understanding of culture would never claim that one genre of music, even one as grand and glorious as Gregorian Chant, is "universal." The relativistic viewpoint (which is the default, "correct" understanding as taught by liberal arts universities in the US) would see such a claim as, at best, misguided, and at worst, racist.

Someone with a Eurocentric viewpoint (which was the default, "correct" understanding of a classical education in Western Europe and Upper-class U.S.) views the logic and aesthetics of Western art and culture as the pinnacle of human intellectual achievement, the standard by which other cultural endeavors should be measured. Gregorian chant, being the basis of ALL styles of Western art music, is thus the universal, primordial music- the URmusic. All music begins with Gregorian chant, finds it's highest expression of purity in Bach, matures in wisdom with Beethoven, and completely falls apart under Schoenberg and his heirs. This is the story of Western music. And for the Eurocentric classicist, this is the story of music, period.

The idea that GC is somehow outside of all that, or that one's opinions about it's universality are independent of that same one's cultural reference point, is an illusion and a red herring. Even the OFFICIAL One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church (that is, the Pope and etc.) recognize other Rites, with other musics, from the East. Before the schism, all (well, most) of Christendom was united in communion, but celebrating very different (all valid) Rites, all with different musics. The Roman Rite IS NOT UNIVERSAL. The Roman Rite is true. The Roman Rite is good. The Roman Rite may even be perfect. But it is not even universal within the official church which celebrates it. There is not one single universal Rite which all should celebrate. Therefore the music of the Roman Rite (Gregorian Chant) is also not universal.

However, here in the West, the Roman Rite seems very universal. Indeed, historically speaking, the Roman Rite is the proper liturgy of the Western world. Therefore its music, Gregorian chant, is properly the ur-music of the Western world. If your reference point is primarily Western culture, then it's no wonder that Gregorian chant seems universal. Even moreso if you view relativism with suspicion (as most classical thinkers do).

The only reason that I think this is worth hammering away at as I have done is this:
    Liberal relativism is the dominant intellectual framework for college-educated adults in the U.S., even more so if you're looking at those with music training. It is also the dominant viewpoint for Catholic laity.
    Many of the conservatives who are working towards a liturgical and theological renewal within the Church dismiss relativism as a poison and a folly, and celebrate that those who hold this view in the Church are aging hippies who will inflict On Eagle's Wing upon us all only once more- in their not-a-minute-too-soon funerals.
    But dismissing the viewpoint, or seeking to trample it out, is a mistake. It drives away many sincere and faithful hearts, and leaves generations without a Church they can call home.

But there is a still more excellent way. I have advocated two or three times within this thread for a third viewpoint- a "self-aware Eurocentrism" perhaps, or an "enlightened classicism." The people we're talking to, and about, (for the most part) are not tribal Africans in need of an inculturated liturgy. They are not pre-Columbian natives. The parishes that need (NEED) the resources, knowledge, and philosophy of the CMAA are filled with the children of Western culture. In fact, relativism itself is a uniquely Western viewpoint. We do not need to challenge their understanding of comparative religious studies, we do not need to do and say thing which will get us branded as Eurocentric racists. What we need to do is give these people their own culture back. We need to help them understand that everything about how they live and think and believe in things is rooted in the Church that built Europe. The Roman Rite, and Gregorian Chant, and the Latin language, and classical theology- these are the rightful property of all the people mumbling along to "Gather Us In." We can champion these things, and bring along the progressives, the liberals, the relativists, without making claims about transcendent culture, or indulging in historical revisionism, or engaging in cultural imperialism, or otherwise looking (from a liberal's perspective) like ignorant, self-important, snobby racists.
  • chonakchonak
    I hope the relativists have enough self-awareness to realize that relativism is itself a cultural product and not able to claim objectivity.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Me too.
  • francis
    OK...

This is a link from Wiki on one of the types of Eastern Ancient music. Doug got me started down this path.

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ANCJAPAN/MUSIC.HTM

Well, this may be shocking to you, but here goes:

Been there, done that… WAS ONE. Let me explain:

I have over the years come to understand that spirituality (not religion) is one of the most influential if not the most single influential aspect of how man creates and enhances a musical form based on the simple harmonic species, and how music is unspeakably intertwined with the spirituality in which is was conceived.

What I am trying to say is based upon my lifetime of reading, studies, formation, observance, listenings, practices, analyzations, all linked to my own experience in other spiritual forms before I became fully formed into my Catholic faith, and then more importantly, as I became immersed in it.

For numerous years (after I finally emerged from 'the force') I did a lot of studying on spiritual practices including shamanism, witchcraft, masonry, (including the great white brotherhood, gnosticism, rosicrucianism, babylonianism, new age spirituality, mormonism) eastern Vedic spirituality (Hinduism), mantras, creation spirituality, goddess worship, earth worship, the formation and spirituality of mandalas as spiritual floating cities, Buddhism, satanism, Aztec spirituality, Incan, American Indian, magic, magick, (black and white), sorcery, divination, alchemy, and more.

I know now that music is not separable from its spiritual roots. When a music, especially ritual music is confected (composed), it conjures (for lack of a better word) an ethos which invokes certain spirits that are aligned with its practices, rites, and is channeled or focused through its priests, priestesses and practitioners (including its composers and musicians).

The world has been engulfed in the swirl of everything under the Sun (including a lot of those spiritualities mentioned above, none of which are of Christ). This is why the Catholic Church entered into a significant period of confusion and loss of identity in the last 100 years or more. This is why Catholicism has been on the decline in the past forty years. 60 percent of Catholics no longer attend church and a larger percentage don't even believe that Christ is present in the Eucharist - body, blood and divinity. Some and maybe many who entered the seminary were not catechized and many rejected the faith wholesale. The fruit of that is easy to see this day and age where diocese after diocese is going bankrupt over law suits. "Guidelines" were put in place to help 'steer' the cause of music in the liturgy. Were they good? Were they theologically solid? Did they hold to the patrimony that sacred music always held in high esteem? Mostly not.

Popes wrote letters and encyclicals warning of erroneous doctrine surrounding her sacred practices, rites and spirituality. Did we listen? Did we heed the warning? Mostly not. How many of us have read the encyclical on Modernism?

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10pasce.htm

Now the church (B16 and his conclave) are now in an all out battle to protect and warn against music that is alien to its rite, (rock, folk, jazz, pop, etc.) styles that are conceived and nurtured in other spiritualities. When musicians attempt to fuse music of other rites or spiritualities to the rite of The Church, a clash occurs. This occurs on a subconscious level, unbeknown by most prelates, musicians and especially the innocent followers of the Faith who sit in the pew. This 'fusion' creates an ethos that produces a negative effect, much like a conflict or collision in the spiritual realm. The first and most obvious fruit is division. And where has this collision obviously occurred? Well, for one, in the music. It has been a grave error to adapt and to buy into a wholesale adoption of other musical forms into the Roman rite. It has been a spiritual disaster.

Adam wrote:

What we need to do is give these people their own culture back. We need to help them understand that everything about how they live and think and believe in things is rooted in the Church that built Europe. The Roman Rite, and Gregorian Chant, and the Latin language, and classical theology- these are the rightful property of all the people mumbling along to "Gather Us In." We can champion these things, and bring along the progressives, the liberals, the relativists, without making claims about transcendent culture, or indulging in historical revisionism, or engaging in cultural imperialism, or otherwise looking (from a liberal's perspective) like ignorant, self-important, snobby racists.

What we need to do...

Many things about how the people live and think and believe is not rooted in the Church that built Europe. They are built on other spiritualities, not of Christ. The mumbling people are the ones who do not know how to speak clearly, because they have not been taught, they have not had a shepherd, they have been left forsaken by their own Church and do not even know their faith. That is why most Catholics no longer attend the Mass. That is why most of them don't even believe that they are receiving the body and blood of Christ when they come forward for communion.

We, who do try to live as Roman Catholics, are devoted to living out our faith as fully as we can. We are not out to change a liberal's perspective and argue him in. We are, however, out to convert his heart… his intellect will eventually follow along.

So as a spiritual force, Gregorian Chant is one of the penultimate expressions of our two thousand year old Faith. If we simply lived out what was handed down to us, and sang the song, (instead of playing the Beatles and Peter, Paul and Mary) and lived the truth of our faith, and brought it to others, there would not be the "con-fusion" that has occurred even within the walls of our own Church. GC above all, focuses a spiritual force, a force of angelic power that cannot be seen but is certainly perceived. The kingdom of darkness hates it. It is the Song of Christ Himself... The Song of the Lamb.

What we need to do...

is to be only concerned with what Christ told us to do. He didn't care about what others thought about him. He told us the world would not understand us and that we would be dragged into the courts for what we believe. He told us some of us would be put to death on account of it. He died because of what He said.

We are no different from Him if we are truly his followers. So we will continue to lead the unknowing into knowing the Faith, consecrate the host and give his body and blood out to those who will believe in Him and receive him. We will sing the chant, and rant the rant, and those who have been 'GATHERED IN' had better GET IN the Barque of Peter or be swallowed in the waves.

“Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of ‘touching’ a man’s heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it.” -G.K. Chesterton
  • The idea that GC is somehow outside of all that, or that one's opinions about it's universality are independent of that same one's cultural reference point, is an illusion and a red herring. Even the OFFICIAL One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church (that is, the Pope and etc.) recognize other Rites, with other musics, from the East. Before the schism, all (well, most) of Christendom was united in communion, but celebrating very different (all valid) Rites, all with different musics. The Roman Rite IS NOT UNIVERSAL. The Roman Rite is true. The Roman Rite is good. The Roman Rite may even be perfect. But it is not even universal within the official church which celebrates it. There is not one single universal Rite which all should celebrate. Therefore the music of the Roman Rite (Gregorian Chant) is also not universal.

Adam, each of your itemized statements can be allowed as being sufficient and true.
    However, I think you may not have recognized the gorilla in the room- "Gregorian" chant, even post-Charlemagne, remains the singular form of musical worship expression as declared by tradition, the magisterium and the canon as being "universal" to those who celebrate the Roman Rite. That reality exists despite variances between Gallican, Ambrosian, Sarum, or other branches of the central vine, or despite its recollection, reminiscense and recovery by the monks of Solemnes of which disputation over particulars of practice will remain ad infinitum. The issue, as I understand it, centers upon whether an integral attribute of the Roman Rite, "Gregorian" chant, should be universally acknowledged as such by adherents to that particular rite.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Not recognized it?
    Friend Charles- that's been (at least half of) my entire point.

One need not view Gregorian Chant as Universal (from a cultural studies or musicological perspective) in order to proclaim wholeheartedly that it is universal to the Roman Rite.

I think if you go back and read my posts, you'll find that what you say I'm not saying, I really am saying.
    Or else, I really, really need to be more clear in my writing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Francis:
    There is a lot in your most recent post that I'd like to respond to when it's not so late at night.
    But this in particular bothered me:

It is the Song of Christ Himself... The Song of the Lamb.

What we need to do...

is to be only concerned with what Christ told us to do.

Gregorian chant is not the song of Jesus. And Jesus was not really particular about worship styles, liturgical practice, or musical genres. You can (and probably will) extrapolate some logic about how Christ gave us the Church, which has mandated GC and all that. Okay, fine. But when you frame your thoughts this way ("Christ commanded us to worship this way, to sing these songs, to speak in Latin, to celebrate the Roman Rite," or whatever) you are seriously undermining the validity of the tradition, because you make it so easy to dismiss.
  • francis
    Well Adam, I guess our perspectives are just different. I see GC as an 'anointed' form of music given to us by Christ through the Holy Spirit who operates in and through his members who are filled with the Holy Spirit, and I take it you don't. I guess we will have to leave it at that. Good debating this with you, however. I have come to know you a whole lot better, and for that I am grateful.

"My head hurts..." F.N.Koerber

By the way... do you 'like' to sing GC? I never asked that!
  • My bad, Adam. I'm still reeling from Intensive Ecstacy....
  • miacoyne
    For some of us, GC and Liturgy are not separable, and nor the Liturgy and our faith. When it settles in the bone, it's not easy to explain it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    By the way... do you 'like' to sing GC?

Very much.
  • DougS
    I think a central component of Adam's point is that while GC can be considered truly and authentically Catholic (i.e., "universal" in one sense), it isn't "universal" in other ways.The word "universal" means different things in different contexts, and it is helpful to tease out these meanings, whatever those may be. Otherwise we are talking past each other--one person thinking we are talking about X, another about Y.
  • francis
    I think I have exhausted the ways in which to try to explain its universality. My main point was that it is not Eurocentric as many claim, but it truly is a form that has been developed over many cultures, geographic and ethnic and over many centuries. We have gone 115 entries on this one... and like I said above, my head hurts.
  • miacoyne
    "The word "universal" means different things in different contexts, "

The quote in the orginal post has been diviated by some and brought GC in a different context. I found it pretty irrelevant.

"we are talking past each other--one person thinking we are talking about X, another about Y"

Certainly it happened. (although we learned somethings while talking past, especially interesting talk about the scales. I thank you to Francis for the fascinating explanations, sorry for the headaches though.)

BTW, for those who are still not convinced about GC as universal in Roman Liturgy, the followings might help. (although most of people already know them.)

[Tra le Sollecitudini]
    ...Gregorian Chant, which is, consequently the Chant proper to the Roman Church, the only chant she has inherited from the ancient fathers, which she has jealously guarded for centuries in her liturgical codices, which she directly proposes to the faithful as her own, which she prescribes exclusively for some parts of the liturgy, and which the most recent studies have so happily restored to their integrity and purity.

On these grounds Gregorian Chant has always been regarded as the suprememodel for sacred music, so that it is fully legitimate to lay down thefollowing rule: the more closely a composition for church approaches in its movement, inspiration and savor the Gregorian form, the more sacred and liturgical it becomes; and the more out of harmony it is with that supreme model, the less worthy it is of the temple.

"Both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI have reiterated his insistence on the primacy of Gregorian Chant and the value of the traditional Roman polyphony in the liturgy of the Church. On November 22, 2003, the anniversary of Pius X’s Motu Proprio, Pope John Paul II said, “With regard to compositions of liturgical music, I make my own the general rule that St Pius X formulated in these words: 'The more closely a composition for church approaches in its movement, inspiration and savour the Gregorian melodic form, the more sacred and liturgical it becomes; and the more out of harmony it is with that supreme model, the less worthy it is of the temple.’” On June 24, 2006, Pope Benedict XVI spoke in similar terms: “An authentic renewal of sacred music can only happen in the wake of the great tradition of the past, of Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony.”
    http://vultus.stblogs.org/

"The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given first place in liturgical services." (Section 116, the Second Vatican Council, in its Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy)

Are the Church Fathers proclaiming certain 'cultural triumphalism' in their writings and the Church's documents?

If you love someone so much, wouldn't you want to find out what s/he desires the most? If you love God and His Church, wouldn't you want to find out what She desires the most for her liturgy and trust what She desires the most is also pleasing to God most, and what pleasing to God also sanctifies us the most.
    I hope we pray Gregorian chant with trust and love of His Church and humility to God who gave us those blessings. So singing Gregorian chant becomes truly "Singing is for those who love," as St. Augustine says.

(would it also help if I tell you that this is posted by someone with slanted eyes and live on kimchi, which I am very proud of?)
  • francis
    I just want to clarify the labelling of someone a "fundmentalist Catholic" since that is what I was labelled earlier in this thread.

"Every day new sects are created and what Saint Paul says about human trickery comes true, with cunning which tries to draw those into error (cf Eph 4, 14). Having a clear faith, based on the Creed of the Church, is often labelled today as a fundamentalism. Whereas, relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and “swept along by every wind of teaching”, looks like the only attitude (acceptable) to today’s standards. We are moving towards a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognise anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires." -

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Homily of the Dean of the College of Cardinals, at the Mass for the Election of the Roman Pontiff, 2005.

By the way... I am also a Papist.
  • chonakchonak
    I don't like the use of labels such as "fundamentalist" either: they tend to convey bogeyman images. On the other hand, I haven't been able to find where anyone applied the phrase "fundamentalist Catholic" to Francis. Was it in this thread or some other?
  • Catica Nova Publications has on its website, originally appearing in Columbia Magazine, the article ‘The West’s One True Music’ by Dr. Timothy McDonnell.

While this discussion was going on but before I read this article, I thought that perhaps one could say that even if Gregorian Chant was not originally universal, it became so.
  • CharlesW
    Everything Catholic is not Roman, and all chant is not Gregorian. There is a tendency among some of its proponents to make exaggerated claims for its preeminence. But it truly is only "universal" within the Roman Rite - or at least it is supposed to be. Unfortunately, it is dead as a doornail in most of the U.S. Roman Rite for any practical purpose. That's the real problem.
  • francis
    I would say that there is more than one universal music (with a smal 'u'. Beethoven is also universal as Doug put forward. Everyone on the globe can relate to Beethovens music. I agree wholeheartedly.

But when it comes to sacred music, GC is debatedly uncontested. After all, Roman Catholics represent 1/6 of the population of the entire globe. (actually, recent statistics have proven that it is now more than 1/6). There is no other single organization as large as the RC Church. Whose universe is larger than that?
  • I think we are using universal in different ways.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Cardinal Mahony and all, is an expression of the Church in its fullness—the same with the Latin Church or any of the Eastern Churches. We all know none of these are the entirety of the Church.

For Gregorian Chant to be universal, we need not tarnish the dignity, or universality, of any other ecclesiastical music tradition.

(I do not know that I am expressing the same idea as is francis, but that is my intent. Furthermore, I think it is possible that we are all in agreement.)
  • francis
    Chonak:

The entry was changed. I will refrain from putting a name to the entry, so as not to embarrass the person, but this is how it orginally was posted:

francis: We all admire your devotion Gregorian chant. But you can love it and defend it and champion it (and liturgical orthopraxis, and the primacy of the Roman Rite, and all the other things you believe in) without thinking and sounding like a horsey-blinded fundamentalist or a person whose never taken a sociology class.

This should be an example to everyone who posts anything on the internet. Never post anything you don't want to remain public forever.

And... I will defend the Church and liturgical orthopraxis and the primacy of the Roman Rite and all other things I believe in to my dying breath.

Thank you very much...

I may have never taken a class in sociology, but it might be wise for everyone here to read the Forum Etiquette Guidelines. It's kinda like sociology 101... (It is a link that is revealed to you every time you are going to post to this forum.)

Let me remind us all of the first point:

1. Be Polite

This is the most important guideline. We will not tolerate any abusive, insulting, hostile, or threatening posts about anything or anyone. We will quite swiftly delete any such post and ban the offending user. Using only all capital letters in your posts is considered extremely rude by every "netiquette" standard we've ever seen. It is akin to shouting at people.

and also this...

4. Avoid Flames

Every now and then, you may be tempted to add fuel to a heated topic by escalating the anger. Think twice and check yourself. In the event your post is not pulled, it will remain available for everyone to see, for a long time.

and this...

5. Do Not Defame

Members may not level insinuations of heresy, bad faith, or criminality against members; members should also avoid such inflammatory language against non-members.

So I will put myself up as an example of all of the above so that we may all learn what not to do, and so that in charity, I will eventually win this person fully to the Church's way of thinking.

I would also remind all the members of CMAA that we should never participate in this kind of base discourse. For the most part, I think the members here are quite good at holding their own without lowering themselves to making personal attacks, and I laud you all for that. It is one of the reasons I am proud to be a member of this organization, and this forum.

(I should'a been a lawyer... I would have made a lot more money than being a RC music director)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was the one who posted that horsey-blinded stuff.
    I didn't know it had been changed/edited/censored.

I feel like my point has been totally misunderstand. (This is underscored by mia's at least twice insistence about "those of you who remain unconvinced that GC is universal to the Roman Rite.... I've said over and over that it is exactly that- universal to the Roman Rite.)

I consider Francis (and just about everyone here) a friend. I don't think he is a horsey-blinded fundamentalist (or a racist, or a cultural imperialist). My big point is in all of my going on and on was:
    1. There are legitimate and widespread views concerning sociology and comparative cultures among a particular class of people which would stand in opposition to the idea that GC is "Universal."
    2. It is possible to have those views (ie. "be a liberal") and still be a devout and faithful Roman Catholic.
    3. The voicing of certain opinions in certain ways will be viewed by those people as suspect: Eurocentric, imperialist, etc.
    4. It does damage to the worthy cause of increasing the use of Gregorian Chant in its native environment (the Roman Rite) to not understand how liberals will hear and understand certain viewpoints, and to go about voicing an opinion in such a way that will get the voicer dismissed in the eyes and minds of the people most needing to hear what that person has to say.
    5. The merits of our tradition can and should be championed in a way that is sensitive to the ways that liberals and progressives (and other people not predisposed to value tradition) think and understand things. In fact, it is imperative
    that we do so, otherwise we are (almost literally) preaching to the choir.
  • francis
    Adam:

I was trying to keep you anonymous. I also thought you had probably changed the content of your post. Was it deleted?

Yes, and Adam will always be my friend! We are in the publishing business together! How's that for Universal!
  • miacoyne
    (This is underscored by mia's at least twice insistence about "those of you who remain unconvinced that GC is universal to the Roman Rite...

Adam, I'm not sure you are included here. It's your opinion.
    I simply reminded others here and myself that why Francis and some are here take GC as universal , especially since we have a mixed group here. I stated my faith in Church's teachings as my ideal although I'm in parishes where I can't speak of those without limitation. I believe this forum is a place you can share ideals and Church's teachings which are imperative for the Reform of the Reform. (of course, we know in missionary lands, the process of bringing the Church's tradition of the Liturgy takes much longer) You and I may have differences in how to go about, but I want to make clear that I would not point at one person as not taking GC in first place in the liturgy. If you think you are, that's not mine. (if you want to talk about this further in a personal manner, it would be better to do so in whispers for other readers.) Yes, in our schola, we share info. and faith on Church's teachings, but we do also respect different stages of parishes and individuals.
  • Francis, every year I put to my students this question, "Is music the universal language?" Some try to answer in the affirmative but by the end of the discussion, we generally come around to these facts:

1. Music IS a means of communication
    2. Like language it can only communicate between those who understand it
    3. As in languages there are those who are very adept with it and can understand its finer nuances. There are also those who can only understand simple commands and statements
    4. Like a language, it has dialects and patois that are understood by small communities
    5. Like a language, it can be misunderstood

As much as I love Beethoven, it takes a rudimentary understanding of Western musical conventions to even begin to like him. Conversely, Westerners rarely understand even the basics of the musical expression of Japanese theater music where percussion instruments provide the emotional underpinnings (and no it's not intuitive at all).
  • francis
    MO

These are astute observations on the part of yourself and your students. However, this seems to limit music to only a human innovation as a tool of communication. I would submit to you things that go beyond this reality.

Music IS a means of communication

Absolutely. But music does not just communicate with humanity, it also communicates with the spiritual realm. It not only communicates with it, but it influences it in significant ways.

Because music is rooted in the harmonic species, of which we earlier discussed, its foundation is indeed universal. Lets examine, for example, a rock concert and the phenomena of the mosh or "mash" pit. Just do a google on the subject and spend ten minutes reading about it. Remind you a little of the scene of the prophets of Baal? This is directly incited by musicians (of incredible natural talent) but for the most part not directed by themselves but a spiritual force which they weild, most of them ignorant that they are doing so. Injury and violent death are not uncommon. Is this just a human experience? No, it is very spiritual.

Now let's take the Sanctus which occurs at the central point of every Mass.

Here is the wiki entry:

"The Sanctus (Latin: Holy), sometimes called the Tersanctus (Latin: Thrice Holy), is a hymn from Christian liturgy, forming part of the ordinary of the Mass. In Western Christianity, the Sanctus is sung (or said) as the final words of the Preface of the Eucharistic Prayer, the prayer of consecration of the bread and wine. The preface, which alters according to the season, usually concludes with words describing the praise of the worshippers joining with the angels, who are pictured as praising God with the words of the Sanctus:

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus
    Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
    Pleni sunt caeli et terra gloria tua.
    Hosanna in excelsis.
    Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
    Hosanna in excelsis.[1]
    The first part of the Sanctus is adapted from Isaiah 6:3, which describes the prophet Isaiah's vision of the throne of God surrounded by six-winged, ministering seraphim. A similar representation found in Revelation 4:8 appears to be the basis of the Trisagion, with which the Sanctus should not be confused. In Jewish liturgy, the verse from Isaiah is uttered by the congregation during Kedusha, a prayer said during the cantor's repetition of the Amidah (18 Benedictions) before the opening of the ark:

The priest along with the musicians and the congregation are joined by the spiritual forces of heaven at this very point at every licit Mass. Music is an integral part of this rite.

Now let's consider Igor Stravinsky' premier performance of Les Sacra de Printemps. Simply look it up on wiki- premiere performance and you will read about the most famous mosh that ever occurred on classical music. Take note of what the music is describing... a satanic rite. Coincidental? Highly unlikely.

Like language it can only communicate between those who understand it

By my examples above, you will quickly admit the music rises above human understanding and intellect. It is a natural material science which is directly linked to the supernatural heirarchy of the spiritual realm. The two are inseparable.

3. As in languages there are those who are very adept with it and can understand its finer nuances. There are also those who can only understand simple commands and statements

Most musicians don't even understand its finer nuances when it comes to the spiritual realm. They think it is all controlled and created from their own human power and skill. They don't realize that music is a gift just like painting is a gift. I believe that angelic beings act upon a musician to weild a spiritual power that forever alters one's internal makeup. That includes any and all who are recipients of the music. And if the truth of the harmonic species is what we think it is, then music also has a power to alter the makeup of someone who is deaf, dumb and blind.

4. Like a language, it has dialects and patois that are understood by small communities

Again, because music is primal and spiritual, it is not limited by communal boundaries. Take the phenomena of jazz.

Jazz is a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions. From its early development until the present, jazz has incorporated music from 19th and 20th century American popular music.[1] Its West African pedigree is evident in its use of blue notes, improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation, and the swung note.[2]

The word "jazz" (in early years also spelled "jass") began as a West Coast slang term and was first used to refer to music in Chicago in about 1915.

From its beginnings in the early 20th century jazz has spawned a variety of subgenres: New Orleans Dixieland dating from the early 1910s, big band-style swing from the 1930s and 1940s, bebop from the mid-1940s, a variety of Latin jazz fusions such as Afro-Cuban and Brazilian jazz, free jazz from the 1950s and 1960s, jazz fusion from the 1970s, acid jazz from the 1980s (which added funk and hip-hop influences), and Nujazz in the 1990s. As the music has spread around the world it has drawn on local national and regional musical cultures, its aesthetics being adapted to its varied environments and giving rise to many distinctive styles.

wiki

One origin (primarily spiritual) but one that became universal each with its own dialect, very similar to the phenomena of Catholic chant.

5. Like a language, it can be misunderstood

As much as I love Beethoven, it takes a rudimentary understanding of Western musical conventions to even begin to like him. Conversely, Westerners rarely understand even the basics of the musical expression of Japanese theater music where percussion instruments provide the emotional underpinnings (and no it's not intuitive at all).

Many children who have no grasp of Beethoven on an intellectual plane have an immediate connection on an entirely different level of their subconscience. Just like the mash pit victims they participate on a spiritual plane that has nothing to do with knowledge, geography or independent culture.

So I would put forward that music is primarily a spiritual act which is embelished and magnified by the talent (raw ability) and skill (intellectual understanding and facility) of the musician.

I would leave us all with a reference from Aquinas' Summa:

I answer that, As stated above (Article 1), the praise of the voice is necessary in order to arouse man's devotion towards God. Wherefore whatever is useful in conducing to this result is becomingly adopted in the divine praises. Now it is evident that the human soul is moved in various ways according to various melodies of sound, as the Philosopher state (Polit. viii, 5), and also Boethius (De Musica, prologue). Hence the use of music in the divine praises is a salutary institution, that the souls of the faint-hearted may be the more incited to devotion. Wherefore Augustine say (Confess. x, 33): "I am inclined to approve of the usage of singing in the church, that so by the delight of the ears the faint-hearted may rise to the feeling of devotion": and he says of himself (Confess. ix, 6): "I wept in Thy hymns and canticles, touched to the quick by the voices of Thy sweet-attuned Church."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Francis:

Are you suggesting that Gregorian Chant is literally the genre of music sung by the heavenly hosts?
  • Adam: They are multi-lingual.
  • DougS
    "Many children who have no grasp of Beethoven on an intellectual plane have an immediate connection on an entirely different level of their subconscience."

Francis, do you have any evidence for this?
  • francis
    Doug

Yes.

I have five, but they preferred Bach when they were infants. Sorry, Ludwig!

... and you?
  • francis
    Adam

It is my suggestion, (and it has been the universal habit of his children [of the Roman Rite]), but God does liturgy the way he prefers.

Do you think He will have a separate room for us Romans up there?

"In domo Patris mei mansiones multae sunt si quo minus dixissem vobis quia vado parare vobis locum."
    John 14:2
  • DougS
    My son, now 22 months, loves TV theme songs. Does that make them universal too?
  • francis
    O yes!

Lost in Space, Outer Limits, The Twight Zone, are all definitely universal! (now showing my age)
  • CharlesW
    "Do you think He will have a separate room for us Romans up there?"

I hope so! LOL ;-) Then you can define dogmas and legislate to your heart's content.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A man without a religion died, and was surprised (but pleased) to find himself at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asked him what his religion was, and he said, sheepishly, that he had none. "Well, that simply won't do. You must have a religion. Everybody here is very religious." St. Peter saw the worried look on the man's face, so he answered his unasked question with, "Oh don't worry about it- I'll show you around and then you can pick the one that suits you the best."
    Peter escorts the man down a long hallway with many doors, each a different shape and size. He opens one and the man peaks in too find a group of bearded men with their heads covered, chanting in Hebrew. "These are my people!" St. Peter says "Good people- the Jewish people. Very religious. What do you think?" The man seems doubtful.
    St. Peter takes him to the next door, and with a quick warning to stand back, opens the door to find people standing on chairs, shouting, dancing, and throwing snakes at each other. "Pentecostals! Not quite my thing- but very enthusiastic. What do you think?" The man admits he's always had a thing about snakes. "I understand." Peter says, and takes him to the next door. Opening, they find bells tinkling in the background, lots of incense, and droning chants from robed figures sitting around, some in groups, some by themselves. "We put all the Hundus, Budhists and the HAre Krsnas together in here. They fought a little at first, especially when the New Agers started showing up, but we uped the incense and everythings been fine for a while." The man thought this was a good possibility, but wanted to see more.
    There were several more doors, but the man noticed a really big, beautiful one at the end of the hall, and asked if he could see that one. St. Peter tip-toed down the hall towards the door and indicated that the man should do the same. Then he opened the door as quietly as he could. Inside was an enormous church, with an infinitely large back-row pew, where everyone was sitting. "Be very quiet. These are the Roman Catholics, and they think they're the only ones here."
  • francis
    Adam

That one is as old as GC!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What can I say, I love the traditional things.
  • Francis, thank you for taking the time to grab all those definitions, but I'm afraid we will disagree here. Musical style doesn't really cut across culture that well. American popular music is liked in Africa because they can hear the roots, which are based on their own music. We can all be musical "tourists" but there is no music made by man or woman that is heard as universally applicable to anything. I suspect that you want to believe that GC is somehow sanctioned by God, but it's good enough that it is sanctioned by the Church. While missionary churches may find something foreign about it's musical theory, Western ears find it foreign in a temporal sense. I believe that restoring GC to the active life of the Church is extremely important, but I can't and won't try to find some natural or supernatural underpinnings for it. Tradition is good enough for me.
  • francis
    Well, MO, I guess you will never know for sure until time ends!

"Gregorian chant is 'Catholic' because it is universal. When we say that we believe in the 'Catholic' church it is not just universal geographically, but also chronologically. In other words, it is universal in time as well as place. It is everywhere and at every time. I know this is not strictly true of Gregorian chant, but it is just about as true as can be of any other kind of music. When we sing a timeless setting of the Mass to Gregorian chant we cut through all the cultural and trendy forms of music to connect with something outside of time. Here is music which has not only stood the test of time. Here is music which takes us back in time and connects us with all our brothers and sisters down the ages who have also sung these simple words to these simple tunes. 

It is also universal in place. The simple Gregorian chant tunes and the simple Latin words connect us with all those across the globe who also sing them. Suddenly the trendy praise and worship songs which seemed so relevant and cool seem instead to be fatuous and dull. Gregorian Chant transcends our own cultures and languages and concepts and needs. Through it we are connected with all of our brothers and sisters. The stockbroker in New York and the cattle drover in Nigeria are one. The peasant in the Philippines and the philanthropist in Philadelphia are one. The child, the grandfather, the student the mother are all one in a universal hymn of praise."

Father Dwight Longenecker
  • francis
    another great article on universality

Cantus Universalis: A Glimpse at the Supra-Cultural Value of Gregorian Chant

http://www.faqs.org/periodicals/201007/2082675531.html
  • francis
    "Gregorian Chant and Mozart

Of all the sacred songs, the chant of the monks is the one most deprived of any bodily expression, since it does not make any reference to the feelings that occur in life. It is directly plugged into creation, facing its Creator, whose praises it sings. Gregorian chant remains that celestial hymn and dance closely linked to listening, and listening to the Most High. Mozart too leads us towards that same ultimate point.

"His child's heart vibrated with a fast and lively rhythm, quite different from the rhythm of Gregorian chant. We could even say that the Chant of Solesmes is rhythmically Mozart's rhythm divided by two."16

In fact, Mozart was not insensitive to this timeless music that seems to carry to us the quiet modulations of eternity. He did say at the end of his life that he would have gladly renounced his entire work for the joy of composing the Introit of the Mass of the Dead. This confession is extraordinarily humble, but it would have been a great loss for humanity if it had been carried out. What this shows is that Mozart discovered in Gregorian chant the language of plenitude of the adult man, which is fully reached in the heavens."

Fr. Dominique Bourmaud

For you see, the arguement here is not against me, a humble unknown church musician, but a large part of humanity, whose testimony I only bring to the fore.
  • francis
    There are thousands of testimonies like the few above, and i will gladly provide you with the links and /or content and the credibility of those who wrote them.
  • francis
    Adam said

"But dismissing the viewpoint, or seeking to trample it out, is a mistake. It drives away many sincere and faithful hearts, and leaves generations without a Church they can call home."

In fact, it is The Church and its practices which they themselves refuse to call home. Home has not disappeared; they simply choose to be estranged from it.

It does not drive them away. They are unwilling to engage in a logical discussion or come to agree with an overwhelming majority. In their refusal, their emotions overtake them and then it is their own fault if they run away without listening and weighing reason to a factual or if you prefer, a probable conclusion.

Please present me with the names, credibility and testimonies of those who would argue against the universality of GC, and I will give two to one for each you present. So far I have three of you. Correct me if I am wrong. Adam, Doug and Michael. Do correct me if I am wrong about saying that each of you argues against the universality of GC. So far that totals three.

Are there any others?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Please present me with the names, credibility and testimonies of those who would argue against the universality of GC, and I will give two to one for each you present. So far I have three of you. Correct me if I am wrong. Adam, Doug and MIchael. Are there any others?

This isn't up to a vote.

It's a matter of perspective, and some degree of intellectual honesty would (I hope) cause you to at some point say, "Ah, yes- there are legitimate perspectives other than my own."
    Bringing Mozart into it further reinforces the "Universal, but only to the West" concept.

I feel like you've missed at least my point, and perhaps the point of the other "dissenters" here, and just kept going on and on. I seriously feel like we're having completely different conversations.
  • DougS
    "Because X said so." Has the discussion really devolved into this?
  • francis
    Well, I presented the Church's perspective, and dissenters insisted it was my opinion. So, I politely bow out of "my opinion" and give you others who also back up what the Church puts forward. What more can I say?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Nothing the Church has said directly supports "Gregorian Chant is Universal" anywhere other than within the Roman Rite.
    You're talking about a genre of music.
    The One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church is UNIVERSAL.
    According to the "official" (Roman Catholic) viewpoint, that Church encompasses several Rites with their own musical
    traditions (I'm speaking of the various Eastern Catholic traditions in communion with Rome). To those traditions, Gregorian Chant is foreign
    Depending on your view of things, that Universal Church either did previously or still continues to encompass a number of other traditions (the various Orthodox churches, from the Greeks to the Russians to the Thomas Christians in India and the Tewahado Church in Ethiopia). From the perspective of those traditions, Gregorian Chant is foreign.

Gregorian Chant is native to the Roman Rite. No one here would argue against that.
    It is not native to any other Rites.

Gregorian Chant is the foundational music for Western classical and sacred music.
    Gregorian Chant is not the foundational music of any other classical musical traditions.

Gregorian Chant as we know it today was recreated by French monks steeped in the culture of Western Europe and Classical Roman Catholicism.
    France does not exist anywhere except squarely inside Western Europe.

I feel like we must be talking about two different things.
  • chonakchonak
    Would anybody mind too much if we were to sink this discussion?

It's nowhere near as good as the old "What are you doing on Friday evening?" thread.
  • francis
    I was done with this quite a while back. We agree to disagree. I approve sinking and so it is done.

Thank you all for your comments, time and observations. It has been very interesting and stimulating.