Are the most familar chants sung poorly?
  • Based on what I have heard on Youtube, EWTN, from the Vatican and even at the colloquium, it seems the the popular ordinaries and hymns like Salve Regina always seem to need a bit more attention. These easier syllabic chants are often sung too casually and therefore give a less than stellar impression of the value and beauty of chant. In fact many of these chants now appear in the OCP ,WLP hymnal and will become flagship chants within many parishes. If these are sung poorly , then we cannot expect any interest in the propers.
    Sometimes I find It difficult to make syllabic chants interesting. So we have spent much time with the Missa Orbis Factor, Jesu Dulcis,and Ubi Caritas- far more time than these pieces may seem warrant. The results were wonderful.
    The schola now sings these pieces with a wonderful intimacy rather than a casual familiarity.In fact a member of the congregation said that he could tell by the way we sing that we all understand Latin.
    My question: Where is there guidance and direction for the ordinaries and simpler syllabic hymns? Would the Triplex help? or does this just contain propers? Are there definitive audios?
    Fr. Columba Kelly's style of scoring the English Texts is very helpful too, as he seems to expand liquescents and the oriscus notation by transcribing them into into melodic structure, and he is generous with the episema and the repercussusi.
  • dad29
    It is a puzzlement how a choir could sing the "Et resurrexit" of the Credo with the same "voice" as it sings the "Passus et sepultus est."

For that matter, it is amazing that a choir can dispassionately blat "Et Unam, Sanctam, Catholicam, et Apostolicam Eccelesiam" with no apparent conviction of the truth of those propositions.

Even a merely "I've heard it" knowledge of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis should inspire a more .....ahhhh......lively......take on the "Et resurrexit".

Yes, I think you're right. The syllabic familiar Chants are delivered in a ho-hum--probably because most scholas do not rehearse them (in contrast to your group); they pull them off-the-shelf to fill between the Propers.

For that matter, does the choir's singing of the "Amen" at the end of the Credo really, really, make you believe that THEY believe?
  • dad29 I just reread your comment for inspiration.
  • Kathy
    The most common chants are sung by each separate choir member in the way they each separately learned it (usually poorly) and so you end up with an ununified sound. The most common chants have to be unlearned and relearned at the same time.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I suspect some benefit could come from exposure to folks like Sven Olbash in San Francisco and Jeffrey Morse, as well as the sort of mentoring MACW receives by studying privately with Mahrt, towards not taking for granted mere principles at the expense of artfully exposing a text.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • A well-brought-up problem. We could call it the 'Familiarity Syndrome'. And, it isn't limited to chant. The same thing happens when Lutherans sing 'Ein feste Burg': they sing it, all right; but it is sung with an almost raw primitiveness. The same thing happens when Catholics sing 'Grosser Gott': it is a group cultural expression which lies outside any question of musical aesthetic. It is the same thing that happens when Evangelicals sing, say, 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus': it's singing, alright, but it may not be music to our ears.

Chant is no different. Any chant that a choir or congregation or cantor knows well enought to sing without attention to musical niceties can become victim of the Familiarity Syndrome. It can be Jesu dulcis, Veni Creator, or the offertory Jubilate Deo, or Alleluia, Pascha nostrum. It can be any chant. It becomes something one gets up and 'does', rather than performs in the finest sense of the word. This is partly due to the common and baneful notion that knowing the notes is knowing the music. We all know that notes are nothing but disjunct pitches unless sung by a mind which is consciously making poetry out of them. (For the sake of brevity, I'll stop here, though it would be interesting to develop these misconceptions and unfortunate attitudes.)

I will add, though, the thought that the poor manner of chant performance in MOST situations prior to the recent council contributed to the surprisingly rapid disappearance of chant in the following years. AND, it can happen again! The salvation of chant will be the putting into it of heart, mind, body, and soul, of every individual whose calling it is to be a chanter, and to do so EVERY time one chants. People know when they have something really fine and good - and they turn loose of it not easily.

Melofluent's last line sums it up: EVERY MOMENT one is ministering musically at liturgy must be artfully exposing a text.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Jenny Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jackson, that was my only line! A rarity for me!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • rob
    FWIW, whenever I sense myself falling into mere familiarity with a chant, I've found it helpful to recall how many of them are indulgenced, either under the usual or special conditions (e.g. Credo, Anima Christi, etc. -- if I recall correctly there may be a separate posting on the subject).

While prayerfulness may not necessarily translate into musicality, it's a good start.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • My choir is coming along with chant, although it's a long process. But, like mentioned above, we do tend to take some chants "for granted" and believe once it's learned, that's the end of it. I've begun to take each phrase of the chant apart and have the choir reflect on it prior to singing it. This has resulted in more prayerful chant and a lot less complacency. It's become obvious to the faithful, too, when they hear familiar chant, yet find that "something is different". And, I do believe, that prayerfulness can lead to musicality if one concentrates on the lyrical phrases, and not the actual notes.
  • BenBen
    There's a lot to be said in this discussion. With syllabic chants, you have to be very careful not to let it fall flat and dull. Very easy to do if you don't be careful.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • dad29
    A lot of "flat and dull" can be cured by attention to the Latin accents.
    Thanked by 1Ben