150 Indispensable Catholic Hymns?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PS @ MarkT-
    I don't think all the long notes in FINLANDIA are liable to be confusingsince they merely have the effect of making the following phrase, like the beginning the the tune, begin on the upbeat.

Obviously my brain isn't wired in concert with everyone else's, but that analysis is informative. The issue of the downbeat rest of an opening phrase being potentially "confusing" is something to be reasonably assessed. In hymn terms, how is the Sibelius different from SALVE FESTA, VICTORY, FESTIVAL CANTICLE etc. all of which have solid territory in hymnals and tradition? Or "Lift up your heats" (O'Connor) or "Let us go to the altar" (Schutte) from the sacropop side, which also are taken up with ease by congregations? And that is what Mark rightly observes that Krisman didn't.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    can't count to five?????

it's really more about how having approximately the same amount of time between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3, and 3 and 4, etc....

I can only speak for my own congregation. Sometimes my people, in their enthusiasm, like the notes so much that they spend more time than is needed with each one.

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    We should really stop making them count to six between verses of Silent Night.
  • True enough, Adam!
    Astonishing, isn't it?, how we have our work cut out for us when trying to teach our choirs to 'hold that note for three full beats' while getting them to hold the one beat note for only one beat. (And, we won't go into the half-beat note for only half a beat.)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    I have horned, helmeted sopranos who are aggressively territorial when it comes to releasing "their" note. It is theirs, and they will not easily let anyone take it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • The horned helmets are frightening enough...
    but it's those spears that are really intimidating!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • perhaps a majority of the remaining English-language hymns were not even written by Catholics.

True, many were written by Anglicans who back then did not know that they were not "Catholics" and believed then just as the Catholics.

Let's stone them.

It gives a second use for stones we used to punish those who ate meat on Fridays and ignored the fast before Commmunion, stones that have sat idle for years.

IF the fast before Communion is reinstated and Meatless Fridays as well, will the punishment be retroactive for those who have done so while it was"legal"?

Is the definition of Mortal Sin sins that disobey the commandments and Venial those that the priests running things have decided to put in place as stumbling blocks. Meatless fridays in Rome over the years? True or false?

They've had centuries to write hymns in English and perfected the art. Over the last 50 years Catholics have destroyed it for Catholics and the entire church. Powerful denomination, no?

Just last evening I had to tell and organist in a Methodist church to just let the pianist accompany Here I Am Lord because he was having major problems understanding how to play the introduction!

He was....relieved.

Why did Catholic priests permit this to happen?

• CharlesW
    Mortal and venial again? Crazy Latins. ROFL.

Methodists play Here I am Lord, She's over there, Lord...? My, how they have fallen of late. They have really come down in the world. ;-)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Frankly, I think it's about time we re-introduced the fuguing tune (and for that matter, it's tamer cousin the repeating tune, example below) and the gallery band.

words: "Jesus shall reign", Isaac Watts; tune: GIBRALTAR, J.B. White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMYtBNADV-A
  • francis
    Hey Noel:

You should WRITE that hymn!

"Let's Stone Them"

The tune name will be STONED
  • As in "Let's all get"?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Get your Dylan together. "Everybody must get ......"
  • francis
    bumping this for final determination of a truly Catholic Hymnal after we have been thinking of this for seven years...

the one I am thinking of includes a significant amount of chant hymns, portions of the kyriale, all the Marian antiphons, etc. BTW... ALL public domain (text and music) please!
  • Kathy
    BTW... ALL public domain (text and music) please!

Francis, just curious, why this particular stipulation?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    @Kathy

No copyright fees or administration of authors, etc.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Chrism
  • francis
    I might add, that I will be contributing my own works to this hymnal, but I will be donating my musical works to the effort... (the only thing I will be selling is the hymnal itself.)