Christmas Matins
  • I'm the choir director and organist at a parish and we're having an EF Midnight Mass on Christmas. We'd like to start with Christmas Matins (Monastic Breviary) with the chanting of the Gospel, readings, Te Deum, etc. but I haven't had much luck finding good music for the service. Any suggestions on where I could find such things?
  • Sacristan, most, if not all, of Christmas Matins seems to be in the Liber (pp 368-92) for the Roman Breviary. For the Monastic, isn't there a special separate book for the night offices, Nocturnale or some such?

The Liber includes Matins for a very few important feasts like this. The popular motet text "O Magnum Mysterium" is one of the responsories. The whole service looks like a tremendous amount of material. I wonder how long the whole thing lasts?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Are you looking for something different from what is in the Liber Usualis, beginning on p. 368?
  • I'm mostly wondering if readers on here might have recommendations for different settings of the Invitatories, Antiphons, etc. There's a lot out there, it's mostly difficult narrowing things down, or finding things in the vernacular. There are, of course, the well-known settings of O Magnum Mysterium one of which we're planning on doing (probably the setting by Victoria).
  • George Malcolm (of Westminster Cathedral fame) wrote a full set of the Mattins Responsories for Christmas. They are published by Kevin Mayhew. Simple SATB + org and very effective. It might be nice to break up the the chant a bit.
  • Simon
    Our choir sang Christmas matins regularly back in the 1980s and early 1990s here in Amsterdam before moving to our present location where there was no time to fit the service in on Christmas eve. It's a lengthy service - about two hours if the service is chanted. Opting for polyphonic responsories, for example, will make the service even longer. One could opt for singing 1 nocturn instead of three (as we plan to do for Epiphany next month) - eventually choosing the readings and responsories as one sees appropriate. (The readings for the first nocturn have an own festive melody - not in LU - which I should be able to look up and forward if you wish them.)
  • Re. the George Malcolm responsories:
    They are published by Mayhew in a collection called 'Christus natus est' and which is referred to, rather bizarrely, as 'a choral suite for Christmas'.
    In fact it is 8 resposories in Latin.
  • 2 hours of chant is a bad thing? BTW why would you look for things in the vernacular in an EF setting?