Gloria on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Quick question here (another one of my "liturgy 101" questions): The Feast of the Immaculate Conception is on December 8th, and therefore is invariably during Advent. So, is the Gloria sung at that Mass, or not?
  • It is a Solemnity, a bit higher than a Feast. To be sure about such things, though, one needs to consult the Ordo for the particular Diocese. There is usually one in every Sacristy, but sometimes not - because the priest thinks he knows it all, or the liturgist controls everything. Infact, the Ordo calls for the Gloria AND the Credo.
  • dad29
    Safe rule: ALL Holy Days of Obligation get a Gloria and a Credo, both in OF and EF.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Liam
    Yes.

Also any patronal, dedication or titular solemnity in Advent (and Lent).

(Also St Joseph and Annunciation in Lent.)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    Yes. All feasts and solemnities have a Gloria. Solemnities also have a Creed.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • mahrt
    The OF also permits the Gloria and Creed on days celebrated with particular solemnity. We always sing a Gloria at a wedding, even tough the book does not call for it.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Actually, I've read the newest Missale Romanum does include the Gloria for weddings.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, that's how it looks in the OCR'd Missale Romanum file (downloaded from the Ste-Cecile schola).

Along with the propers for Masses "In celebratione matrimonii" are rubrics to
    - omit the penitential rite
    - include the Gloria
    - omit the embolism "Libera nos" after the Pater noster, and proceed to the nuptial blessing
    - omit the prayer "Domine Jesu Christe" and proceed to the "Pax Domini".
  • Thank you, all. Rushing to prepare this mass that I was assigned at the last moment....bi-lingual....no time. This is a great help. Deo Gratias.
  • ghmus7
    Yes, when in doubt always look at the diocesan ordo.