• rob
    Does anyone have a setting (even better, through-composed) of the various prayers of the Rosary?

I'd be especially interested in an "Ave Maria" (Latin or English) which might lend itself to singing as a canon, such that it would represent a single decade (e.g. 1+(3x3)) -- I think I could easily enough find a "Pater Noster", "Gloria Patri", or "Salve Regina", etc., to fit the bill.
  • Maureen
    Aristotle Esguerra has a chant Rosary setting over at his page: http://www.cantemusdomino.net/2003/04/30/chanting-the-rosary/

There's also a site called ChanttheRosary.com, by one Richard Poe.
  • francis
    i have an entire orchestral work of the rosary, entitled Mysterium Rosarium.

Completely through composed.

You can email me and we can discuss.

fk
  • At Notre Dame High School in Chattanooga we recorded CD and included the Rosary and sang the Hail Mary (in English) to Tonus Peregrinus. We used tones from a couple of chant rosary pages on the net, including Aristotle's excellent one.

But they were all in English. This is an interesting project, especially the idea of a canon!

Sung it took 41 minutes, but with a canon it cou ld be shorter.
  • rob
    Thanks to all; I'll check the resources suggested.
  • A couple thoughts, Colin Mawby set the Glorious Mysteries. Lovely, very singable and nice for the choir. Also, Craig Kingsbury arranged a beautiful setting using traditional chant modes with Bob Hurd (take a look, it is lovely.) W used to do it at the cathedral here in Portland. Both are published by OCP.
  • Instead of a Sung Rosary per se, I've been in the scenario where we sang various hymns between the decades and had a sung litany to Mary. In many places where people have limited musical ability, this allowed a good participation from both those who were and who were not musically gifted.