Practices from Traditional Mass not allowed in Novus Ordo : what are they?
  • Wow, Mia. You opened up a topic that has fascinated me a long time, thanks!
    Consider the track record of so-called experts claiming that Latin is not allowed or marginalized, that ad orientem worship is forbidden, that one must not kneel to receive Communion, that chant belongs to the pre-conciliar age, etc., etc. In an effort to sift through what can and can't be done, your question is an excellent one.

About the SILENT CANON, which affects our work as musicians trying to implement more chant and polyphony as repeatedly and currently asked by the Church, my hunch thus far is that the claim that the silent/sotto voce canon is forbidden might be the result of liturgists' interpretations, rather than an actual prohibition. I have spent time I really don't have looking into this because I am concerned that this type of interpretation is really unjust liturgical tyranny. Like I mentioned above, liturgical elites use wrong or unclear information to bully out practices they don't prefer but which are nonetheless not forbidden ALL THE TIME. Especially when long-standing customs come into the picture (and I mean centuries or more old, not one or two generations) we need to be very careful we are passing along info accurately, and not inadvertently regurgitating incorrect or partially correct positions.

So where do we go for info? I have found the CMAA's position on things and liturgical praxis to be consistent with authoritative sources. Beyond CMAA, while it is clear that translations from the Latin and agendas mixed in these translations present a constant hurdle, I still think Roman documents are our surest way to go at this time.

That is, if one wants to be certain. And I think we must be certain before accusing people of doing the wrong thing, like accusing people of doing the "wrong" thing by singing a split Sanctus. To have the opinion that something is imprudent or inadvisable is one thing, but I think we'd all better be sure before accusing people of deliberate disobedience.
  • Liam, I am not trying to choose one camp or the other, but I do see your point. It feels weird to me to have a motet or organ piece played during the canon, as is done at the EF (FSSP) parish where I work. The 5-6 times a year that we have a polyphonic Ordinary, it feels weird to sing a split Sanctus when I know the Gregorian which preceded the polyphonic is not split. But I have to ask myself, is my objection grounded in what is really wrong, in what I prefer, or in what I have been conditioned to think while working and being brought up in the OF?

In the case of something with such a (truly) long tradition, I tread more carefully.
    In the case of claiming something as forbidden if it is not, I tread even more carefully.

For the record, I still think orchestral masses present a problem. But I honor great compositions, and also honor the fact that they are not prohibited in themselves. And I see the distinction in suitability between a Haydn mass, or a Gounod or a Rossini. And sometimes works within the greater opus of a single composer.

It is the problem of knocking people about for nothing that bothers me, what I referred to above as "liturgical tyranny". If we don't question what has been handed to us, we might be guilty of doing this, intentionally or no.

That's why Mia's question is so important. It helps with untangling that which is truly not allowed from that which is preferred- or not.
  • Whew, I need to be done with this today. I wish no offense to anyone if I don't respond today, but I am I pooped from thinking about this. And I still have my mega document project, and chorister rehearsal, and chant course prep, and a chorister placement audition to get to today. Did I mention that, being pregnant and all, I'm supposed to find time to rest every day? What is this concept, ANYWAY? :)

Yeah, I must really be a nerd. Thanks for the on-line support group, folks.
  • Liam
    MA

Just remember that the canon being prayed aloud does not prevent the Sanctus-Benedictus from being sung beforehand. It might be less economical, timewise (raising the issue of the tail wagging the dog in this regard), but this is not an either/or situation except for people hellbent on reading it that way.
  • Just remember that the canon being prayed aloud does not prevent the Sanctus-Benedictus from being sung beforehand. It might be less economical, timewise (raising the issue of the tail wagging the dog in this regard), but this is not an either/or situation except for people hellbent on reading it that way.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in one of the relevant documents (Tra le Sollecitudini? Musicam Sacram?) there's a prohibition on making the priest wait around and put the Mass on hold while you do a performance piece.
  • CharlesW
    "That's why Mia's question is so important. It helps with untangling that which is truly not allowed from that which is preferred- or not."

That's what I am asking, too. If we don't accept the authority of the bishops to regulate liturgy, and reject their authority as expressed in GIRM, what are we supposed to do? Do we mix and match between the EF and OF to get the sounds and period pieces that are pleasing to our ears? Even I know that mixing the two rites is forbidden, because I have read that prohibition. I am willing to follow the rules, when I can figure out what they are.
  • Liam
    Technically, the Sanctus-Benedictus in the OF is a priest & people part: if it's delegated to the choir, still the priest is not "waiting" to do his bit, but his participation in this part is being done.
  • miacoyne
    Charles W, There is no mixing. We are trying to understand the instrcution as faithfully as we can with proper understanding and tradition. I believe GIRM is written for people who have knowledge in our inherited tradition, yes even going back before Trent, but inherited. THe interpretaion of the instruction requries more than just reading the words and translation of GIRM, especially when there apprears to be a noticeable conflict between the tradition and the recent instruction. If we are not careful, we might easily be throwing out what have been sacred and would be sacred in our liturgy, and our next generation can be deprived of those sacredness, not because of the Church's instruction, but because of the false interpretaion and the abuse by the whims of 'liturgists.' as seen in the last 40 years. Thanks to those people, many people believed and still believe that Latin and Gregorian chant are forbidden when actually vernacular and some limited non liturgical hymns are allowed.

People who didn't have any chance to experience sacredness of the silent canon, like Gregorian chant and Latin, it probably hard to defend it and its beauty and sacredness. It may apprear to be very 'unpractical.'

Mary Ann, thank you. I'm learning so much.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One also wonders about what is encouraged, not just what is allowed.

The R2 people like to point out that, while "other suitable songs" might be allowed, Gregorian Propers are encouraged and preferred.

While a silent canon may be allowed, it seems an audible one is at least encouraged and possibly preferred in the OF.

At the same time....

While one thing (Gregorian Propers, for example) are encouraged and preferred (especially on normal celebrations of Mass on average Sundays in regular parishes), taking advantage of the other options (Polyphonic Propers, for example) seems to be both good and also encouraged (particularly in special places like Cathedrals or Oratories, at special celebrations, on special feast days, or in a gathering of special people).

and so therefore, perhaps:

While an audible canon and a non-split Sanctus, sung by the congregation without the help of a full orchestra, is encouraged and preferred for normal celebrations of Mass on average Sundays in regular parishes, taking advantage of the rich tradition of orchestral mass settings is also good and encouraged at a special place like a Cathedral, at a celebration in the context of a colloquium on traditional sacred music, in a gathering of musicians who are able to participate in a fully-orchestrated choral mass setting (just, you know, for example).

For goodness sakes- if the smart folks here can't find a definitive answer on the Silent Canon and attendant issues, perhaps the answer is something like:
    Don't try to convince everyone to go home and do orchestral Masses with Split Sancti and silent Canons at their parishes, but feel free to carry on with your with what you are doing.
  • Adam, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
  • CharlesW
    On many of these things the clergy make the decisions, and rarely ask for our input. I just wish they would be a little clearer as to what the church actually wants. I am no fan of the EF or silent canons. However, I would like for the OF parish where I work to have the best music possible.
  • It seems that the silent Canon was not a certainty in the first Roman Ordo:

"Et accedente pontifice ad altare, dextra laevaque circumdant altare, et simul cum illo canonem dicunt, tenentes oblatas in manibus, non super altare, ut vox pontificis valentius audiatur; et simul consecrant corpus et sanguinem Domini: sed tantum pontifex facit super altare crucem dextra laevaque."

While this is from the supplement (and was probably not in the original), and while it also is an instance of concelebration (and therefore not characteristic of every Sunday), it would seem that OR II, the Carolingian recension, would fall into the same category as the above quote: adaptation.
    Also, I'm still not convinced that OR I presuppose a silent Canon. My Latin's rusty, but does "solus" in the rubric "quem dum expleverint, surgit pontifex solus et intrat in canonem" refer to both "surgit" and "intrat"? Could it possibly mean that the Pope alone says the prayer, not that he says it silently? I really don't know.

The Ordo of St. Amand says:

"On Christmas day, the Epiphany, the Holy Sabbath, Easter day, Easter Monday, Ascension day, Whitsunday, and the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, the bishops stand behind the pontiff with bowed heads, and the presbyters on their right and left, and each one holds a corporal in his hand; two loaves are then given to each of them by the archdeacon, and the pontiff says the canon so that he can be heard by them; and they hallow the loaves which they hold, just as the pontiff hallows those on the altar."

I realize these are moments of concelebration.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JT:
    Thank you!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    With all this confusion and speculation, why doesn't a concerned party simply write to the Congregation for Divine Worship for clarification? I have seen people elsewhere online post CDW's replies to letters asking questions of far less importance and confusion than this one.

My sense from tracking this post is that partisans of either viewpoint might be worried that the response would not be what they want to hear! As for me, for the last few years I have had the opportunity to conduct an orchestral OF Mass (with an audible canon) about once a year, and we choose to perform the Benedictus attacca after the Sanctus. Once or twice, with settings where the Benedictus was drawn out (and maybe my solo quartet was not up to par!) I have subsituted chant for the Benedictus, again immediately following the Sanctus. Ultimately I don't think that parish would be comfortable with the idea of a silent canon - however it would be nice to have some official word from Rome - just so we as musicians know what our options are.
  • Just based on past experience with such queries, my strong feeling here is that the answer would come along the lines of: the audible canon is what is presumed in the norms and pastoral practice but this does not exclude the possibility of a canon said sotto voce depending on circumstances.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If that is indeed the response we get, then great! Use it - or don't. I'm sorry if I don't understand the confusion and drama around the issue.
  • I don't get the drama either. At the colloq, we had a Mass with a soft canon, and some antagonistic lay bloggers went bonkers. This is the source of the "controversy." But it probably isn't an issue. Several liturgist/theologians I respect have a ho hum attitude toward the whole thing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    [[Uninformed opinion warning]]

Laying aside the fact that some bloggers will complain no matter what you do, and some people are scared of the (largely imagined, I imagine) political/theological/ecclesiastical implications of traditional liturgy...

Perhaps the following concern could be raised about the Colloq's OF silent canon:

Besides the central purpose of liturgy (glorification of God, etc) is the purpose of liturgies (and the specifics of their execution) at the colloquium primarily for:
    1. the spiritual edification of those gathered?
    2. an example of what those gathered could go home and work towards in their own parishes?

The answer to that question may imply certain practices over others, especially in an OF Mass.
  • miacoyne
    Adam,
    my answers

1. varies according to individuals, one may edified more from more utilitarian practices for artificially oriented community, for others because the practice is more reverent toward God, (and internal participation also can be a mean to form a community in Mass) and more close to the Church's traditional practice we have.

2. And example at the Colloquium may not be what you will do at your parish. Once one experiences beautiful litrugy at the Colloquium, when she/he goes back, s/he has to adjust according to the situation of his/her parish.

It's not all about what we should do and what we should not do, it's also about why.

(Last year, our schola was invited to sing at the Basilica with Archibishop for a special Mass. When the liturgists there saw Introit in the proposed music list, they told me now to do it, it wasn't even in Latin, it was in English, because they said they haven't heard it last 20 - 30 years. So we did it before the Mass. It made me feel pretty sad, because it is a part of the Mass, why we have to sing ig as a prelude? Doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure this kind of adjusment have to be made in many parishes where sacred musicians work.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was really just conjecturing. I don't have a dog in this fight because, like JT, I don't see what the big deal is about. I just like to help people think clearly about their issues.
  • miacoyne
    Adam, I appreciate your questions and effort to help. They certainly help me to think more and learn more. My answer wasn't to criticize you or anything like that. If I gave you that impression, I apologize. I also agree with what you said before, like JT. But the answers seem to be not quite simple.

And the drama is not just about what we should do and what we should not do, it's also about why.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I guess I don't understand the need of sacred musicians to worry *too* much about the why. I understand it's important to question in order to understand and grow in any area - especially matters of faith - but it seems futile to overdo it in this particular situation.

The deeper question now for me, is why ask why? (lol)

I'm pretty sure I understand the logic and convictions of those who prefer an inaudible canon in general, and I respect that viewpoint even if it's not my personal preference. As a musician, I thoroughly understand why an inaudible canon would make more sense given tradition with regard to polyphonic or orchestral settings of the Sanctus/Benedictus.

But apart from that, what should it really matter what our personal preferences are? I myself have been trying to rise above experiencing negative reactions to liturgical choices that go against my own individual preferences but are rubrically permitted. The Church, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit has allowed for options in the OF. Even as someone who grew up entirely in the OF, I regret the unfortunate abuses that sprung from people with agendas taking this license far beyond what was intended. In the *long* run, however, I believe that choice in liturgy (within prescribed boundaries) is a good thing, but requiring much prayerful care in use.

Personal preference (of priests or musicians) is in fact the problem with choice. One must honestly choose the option that will truly best serve to direct the prayer of the majority of your congregation and guard against over-advocating your own preference. In this particular case, congregations accustomed to an inaudible canon may be distracted from prayer by hearing the priest proclaim it aloud just as much as congregations accustomed to hearing the canon proclaimed aloud may be distracted from prayer by music or silence in its place.

A word of personal opinion here about our duty as Catholics to bring people to the Lord through the Church. I think we have a duty to do this - and we must meet people where they are with respect to liturgy. The danger in this is that some may unnecessarily dumb things down for people and/or never actually challenge them to continue grow once they've entered/rejoined the Church. Nevertheless, I have great personal difficulty disparaging a legal liturgical choice that is truly and honestly made with the goal of ultimately securing the salvation of souls. Of course, for such choices to continue to be made, there should be some evidence that this is actually happening, and the reason not just tossed out as a convenient excuse for the implementation of personal preference. And if there is evidence, such evangelizing requires the patience and humility of those who feel they do not require it.

As in all things, individual growth comes from trying to understand the opposite point of view. Obviously from the facts presented in earlier posts, the audible vs. inaudible canon is something which people (and the Church itself) has gone back and forth on for thousands of years. Surely conditioning also has a part in forming preferences - and this is why the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit to prescribe norms. I suspect it is simply the case that all of our individual consciousnesses/souls have different ways of processing anything - even prayer. Since we are all created in the image and likeness of God, isn't this just another example of the awesomeness and mystery of God?

Despite my previously stated preference for the audible canon at the OF, I've begun singing with a local schola at the EF, and I've tried to enter into that interior participation during the canon as much as possible. I still don't feel I'm praying with as much focus as when I listen and pray along with the audible words spoken by the priest, but I try to be open to it rather than dismiss or reject it outright, because so many people whom I respect (to say nothing of saints through the ages) hold the practice in such high esteem.

Yes, the Church is universal. But maybe rather than use that fact to push for a single "right" way to do things, that's a call for us to open ourselves up to experiencing all the valid options in the appropriate situations.
  • miacoyne
    SkirpR, I agree with you what you said above and glad you are asking why ask why.

One of the reason I ask this question was because there were some posts earlier in the another thread mentioned that silent canon was something that Church should have never have approved. They were stated without any evidences. So I wanted to know. I respect NO rubrics, and I will probably never indicate anything like silent canon in our parish Mass. But at the same time I'd love to see EF Mass celebrated in our parish in the future as our Holy Father publicly indicated a few years ago. (He wishes that EVERY parish celebrates EF as well as NO.) But I cannot imagine having a Mass that has something that is forbidden in another Mass in the same parish. But I find it's not true and that there are good reasons for audible canon in NO.

More important reason for me is I'm in the area where most parishes have Masses with at least a couple of different contemporary groups (my parishes have about 3 Masses with contemporary groups), and almost no Masses with Gregorian chant or/and Propers even in English. The children and youths hardly know what the Mass is about and what our traditions are. It seems many priests are too busy to improve liturgies and educate us.

With my schola singing Gregorian chant and Propers in different parishes as much as we can, I'm in a position where I need to know more facts, such as what is allowed and not allowed, and be able to explain to others often times with why. Music is integral part of the Mass, but music is not the only thing that matters. I found out that if the whole litrugy doens't improbve with the support of priests, our singing doesn't make much difference to the congregation.

The goal of my schola is singing Gregorian chant beautifully, but I also have to help priests and others understand why we are singing Gregorian chant and Propers which most people here even ever heard before.
    I appreciate audible canon in NO, but when I talked to my friends and schola members about the beauty of silent canon in Traditional Mass, they seemed to be amazed. Many things can strengthen our faith community, but being able to appreciate our tradition together can also be a part of sharing our faith. And I'd like to know and learn more about our liturgy, so I can share them with others while I deepen my faith.
  • SkirkR

Unfortunately, many priests have never experienced great music or authentic liturgy. When we, as musicians, fail to understand and be able to explain the split Sanctus/Benedictus we are in a position that is weak, very weak.

We know that it was done because composers wrote music to serve the Mass when said this way.

Yet when a Mass is said this way there are those who question it and...there seem to be no answers.
  • CharlesW
    I think it has always been true that the liturgical abuses of one age, can become tradition in a later age. There is probably no way to prevent this from happening. In the final analysis, we work with what we have, and what church authorities give us.

Mia, do you have the EF mass in your area?
  • pitkiwi
    I believe the celebrant holding his index finger and thumb together is forbidden. I read that the Pope mandated that the priest should rub his finger and thumb together over the paten.