Practices from Traditional Mass not allowed in Novus Ordo : what are they?
  • miacoyne
    Well, I'm not a liturgist, but I love both Traditional Mass and Novus Ordo. Our Holy Father emphasizes 'continuity of tradition' in Novus Ordo. Latin, Goregorian chant, even facing East for the celebrant can still be done (or rather encouraged) in NO. (and kneeling and tongue at the communion)
    In another thread, silent canon has been disputed as forbidden in NO, what else are forbidden in NO by the Church that have been practiced and kept in Traditional Mass until now? (Not those practices that are stopped by the people who either misunderstood or because of their tastes, nor even by good patoral reasons) Of course the prayers of the celebrant are condensed (?) and different.
    I'd like to know what these practices are, since my schola is singing mostly for NO and working to make Mass in this area become more reverant and sacred, and find appropriate stepping-stones in reaching this goal. ( although it might take a few generations.)
  • CharlesW
    Homilies are encouraged now, and in the past they were up to the discretion of the priest. I don't know that they are mandated anywhere, but they are almost always present. I remember when they were rarely given.

The silent canon was an aberration to begin with, even being forbidden in the early days of the church. It is like making the sign of the cross from left to right, instead of right to left. One of the popes (Innocent III I think) even forbade that practice. Kneeling, for example, originated after the Black Death when Europeans became more penitential. The Council of Nicea commanded us to stand with the risen Christ during the canon. People have a tendency to follow fads and do as they please. Over time, those illicit practices become the norm.

Remember also that some practices in the "Traditional Mass" only go back as far as Trent. I don't look to the "Traditional Mass" as a standard to conform to, since it was in ways a radical departure from then current traditional practices. Practices are merely practices, and they do change from time to time. However, it is a worthy goal you and your schola are working to accomplish.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Mark P.
    If one slavishly follows the rubrics from the Novus Ordo:
    1. The Sanctus is to be sung by all.
    2. The Alleluia sung to the proper melodies in the Graduale Romanum is likewise suppressed as this is supposed to be sung (in theory) by everyone.
  • "with the option of singing various parts (Introit, Gradual, etc.) not always the first preference in the rubrics."

Could you site your source for that, please? I have seen arguments that said the choice was equal between them, which I do not agree with, but do not recall where it is not the first preference, aside from the RESP PSALM.
  • So far all that's been mention here are tendencies, encouragements, discouragements, conventions, etc. This is not what the question asked. Mia wants to know very specifically, as the title says, " Practices from Traditional Mass not allowed in Novus Ordo"
  • miacoyne
    Thank you all, but as Jeffrey mentioned above, I'd like to know what is NOT allowed, not what is added. (from EF to OF)
  • BruceL
    Prayers at the foot of the altar, although I suppose those are technically "before Mass". Big changes in the offertory prayers (Suscipe, Sancte Trinitas, etc.), although I suppose one could just add them to the NO silently.
  • The question is an excellent one. The more I look into this, the less i see that it explicitly prohibited. I'm not going to take down the comments earlier in this thread but I will say to any possible googlers that they are filled with misleading information. I'm not going to take time to go through them point by point. if the authors insist that I do, I would rather pull the posts.
  • Mark P.
    "with the option of singing various parts (Introit, Gradual, etc.) not always the first preference in the rubrics."

According to the GIRM, I'm wrong (happily so I might add). See http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/current/GIRM.pdf
  • CharlesW
    And you wonder why most musicians and the people are thoroughly confused. I follow the Ordo for the Southeastern United States. If it says do something, I do it. It if doesn't, I don't. Keep in mind also, that half or better of many congregations have never seen a "Traditional Mass." That kind of makes it hard to compare the two.

To the best of my knowledge, the prayers at the foot of the altar and the entrance rite appear very different from what I remember as a child. The Sanctus is no longer divided into two parts and everything stops while it is sung. The after mass prayers to St. Michael and the last gospel, as we used to call it, disappeared in 1965 in my part of the country. These are the major differences I remember.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    With the exception of two days, the genuflection during the Creed.
  • I, too, am having a hard time saying what is expressly prohibited...
    Statements claiming things like, "We all know this doesn't/shouldn't happen in the OF" or "this was an 'aberration' in the EF and so automatically is to be considered forbidden in the OF" are NOT the same thing as some part of the EF being explicitly forbidden in the OF.

The are two different forms, yes. And yet, Mia's question remains. We don't hear about probing the differences between the two forms expressed in the way she asked her question. It is much easier to ask what is forbidden in the EF that is allowed in the OF... Great question, Mia.
  • Mark P, I am also glad you were wrong about some of the propers in the GIRM. :) Might I suggest you edit your first post so that others aren't confused?
  • One that I'm not sure is expressly forbidden, as a matter of fact, I haven't actually read anything about it at all:

In the NO funeral Mass, why do we no longer sing "dona eis requiem" instead of "miserere nobis?" Was it just left out of the official books, and if so is not allowed in the NO?
  • The Agnus would be a good example I think.

The split Sanctus is not a good example.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Mary Ann, I'm glad I asked. And the answer means a lot to me.

Charles W, I agree that
    "People have a tendency to follow fads and do as they please."
    I think that's why the Church needs reform to put us back to the right track.
    It's not the Church who keeps changing the rules, but it's us who keep creating 'fads' or abuses that causes truobles.

I'd like to know where I can find more info on this,
    "The Council of Nicea commanded us to stand with the risen Christ during the canon."

Is it like the change of 'we believe' to I believe' of 'Credo?' The first council used 'We believe', because of the good reason in that historical context. But after that, we have a long standing tradition of saying 'I believe,' instead of 'we.' And instead of chaning 'I believe' in EF, the Church is changing "we' to "I' in NO starting next year. And whether one agrees or not, we Roman Catholics will be following the Church's decision. This will also unify the prayer between EF and OF, whether it's in Latin or vernacular.
    Kneeling is a gesture in Roman Rite, a sgin of reverance and humility that has been kept and approved by Holy Fathers much longer than standing, especially during consecration and communion, and Our Pope Benedict even goes further to express it in the example of 'Kneeling and on the tongue only' at the communion in his Masses. Our Lord had to kneel and carry His cross on this earth before he rose, and I cannot claim that I am standing with risen Christ on this earth without kneeling and carrying my cross first on this earth.
  • chonakchonak
    * Psalm 42 at the foot of the altar is not in the OF
    * Multiple collects (sometimes found in the EF) are not permitted in the OF (GIRM 54)
    * Sequence "Dies Irae" removed from funeral Masses, transferred to Office for the Dead
    * Quiet canon not permitted in the OF (GIRM 32)
    * Split canon (oops, I mean split Sanctus/Benedictus) not permitted in the OF
    * Canon during Sanctus not permitted (GIRM 32, 78)
    * "Dona eis requiem" suppressed from Agnus Dei in funeral Masses
    * Last Gospel is suppressed
  • * Split canon not permitted in the OF

But this is a common practice all over the world, esp. in Germany. It happens at Papal Masses. Goes on all over the country in the U.S. -- something is wrong with this claim. I don't need to add that vast amounts of choral repertoire presume a "split" sanctus.
  • If in the OF the canon is not to be split, where in the GIRM is that specifically spelled out? Or has it just been presumed?

It doesn't make sense to me that the Church today would uphold sacred polyphony as being second only to chant, and then suppress this practice.
  • CharlesW
    Mia, this is from NewAdvent, among other sources. Canon 20 from the Council of Nicea says,

"Canon 20: On Sundays and during the Paschal season prayers should be said standing."

This is still the practice in Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches. Kneeling is an innovation introduced during late medieval times, as best I can tell. The Roman Church in the west stood for centuries longer than it has knelt.

From my own readings, it appears that the mass in the west varied from place to place. Trent codified it and imposed a standard form of mass on everyone except the eastern churches. That lasted until Vatican II when the mass was again substantially revised. I think it important to remember that what many consider "tradition" is the mass and practices imposed by the Council of Trent. The Church existed for 1500 years before Trent and Trent didn't always follow apostolic or early church laws and practices.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • miacoyne
    So basically it's the silent canon, it may not be done? Maybe they are for practical reasons? First ,there are 4 Eucharistic Prayers. If it's silent we wouldn't know which one he is doing. (In EF, there's only one, so no problem with that.) Second, must be pretty awkaward to do silent canon if he is facing the congregation. Plus it's a bit strange if he is allowed to show what he is doing, but not supposed to be heard? And, at the same time, if the celebrant faces East, which our Holy Father actually encourages, the loud canon has to be pretty loud for the congregation to hear.
    Thridly, it's easier to start 'Mortem tuam..'
    It's pretty complicated because the Mass parts and gestures are so conncted to each other, and It seems one allowed change invites another change.
    In Holy Mass, many things are hidden under veils. It seemed that the efforts try to uncover these veils have caused troubles and confusions. No matter what, our Lord is still hidden in Mass, and our senses still fail, but only by our faith we know it's HIm at the communion.
    When I attended NO in English only, I thought I understood what's going on in Mass. But it's when I started to attend Traditional Mass, I realized how little I knew about Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and started to gain its deeper meaning which gave me better appreciation of Novus Ordo Mass.
    Whenever I hear 'Aspergese me,' like this morning, my tears run down. How beautiful. It reminds me of His washing away my original sin and invitation to be His own. How merciful He is. I guess the Sprinkle rite is also suppressed in NO, except on Sundays in Easter season?
  • miacoyne
    Charles W. thank you for the info. I'll look into that. (very interesting)

So you think the right way is to stand during consecration and Vatican II corrected? ("That lasted until Vatican II when the mass was again substantially revised." quote from your post above)
    The reason I kneel is already explained above. Sign of reverance and humility, and the Holy Father's example for us. Also notice I don't call Tridentine Mass, but Traditional Mass, because the Traditional Mass is not just from Trent. If the Trent didn't accept the right practice, it's not for me to judge. The Church would have corrected it. Vatican council didn't make standing as 'norm' at all during consecration. Only the US bishops made standing as 'standard' at the communion. (Father Z has a good explanation about this.)
    But there are US bishops who try to follow our Holy Father's example, and I hope those who didn't know, watch Papal Masses where the kneelers are brought out.
    I'm not a Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox. I try to follow the instruction of the current Roman Church. There might be something confusing parts in the instructions, and I try to understand them, for which this thread is about.
    I don't believe Vatican II ever instructed to stand during consecration on any Sundays or weekdays.
  • CharlesW
    Mia, I had forgotten about sprinkling. I only see that during Easter season, too.
  • CharlesW
    I don't think Vatican II commanded anyone to stand or kneel. I have seen instructions from the U.S. Bishops on kneeling at certain times, but don't remember Vatican II mentioning the subject.

The eastern churches, which don't accept any councils after the first seven as ecumenical, view Trent as a local church council called by the west to address Protestantism - never a problem in the east. The east was concerned with Muslims, not Protestants. Since the east considers Nicea to be a significantly higher level authority than Trent, it wouldn't have accepted any changes created by Trent. It has, consequently, followed the mandate of Nicea to stand on Sundays and during Easter.
  • miacoyne
    But it's maybe suppressed, not prohibited. I believe they are not the same. My question in this thread is the latter. Sorry for the off topic. I just remembered how beautiful it was this morning. The begining and ending parts are suppresed. I guess this makes the Mass short. Novus Ordo became shorter and louder, but I found that "continuity of tradition' of our Holy Father's phrase is not just nostalgic expression, but something concrete, and of course the same "Spirit of the Liturgy" remains between Traditional Mass and Novus Ordo. There are two forms but they are both the same Holy Mass of Roman Rite.
  • Can we please stop dispensing misinformation here? Yes, I'm talking to you CharlesW. If you don't know what you are talking about, stop talking. The Sprinkling rite is not suppressed; it can be used every Sunday just as in the EF. And in Easter, it is not Asperges. It is Vidi Aquam. Please!
  • CharlesW
    I didn't say it was suppressed, just that I haven't seen it in my local church outside of Easter. I think you have confused parts of my post with Mia's.
  • chonakchonak
    * Split canon not permitted in the OF

Jeffrey responded:
    But this is a common practice all over the world, esp. in Germany. It happens at Papal Masses. Goes on all over the country in the U.S. -- something is wrong with this claim. I don't need to add that vast amounts of choral repertoire presume a "split" sanctus.

Great! (Right, I meant a split Sanctus.) How can I confirm that this is in fact done? The example of papal Masses would help. (Written reports are enough for me, but of course video is even better.) I went looking at the Holy Father's 2009 Pentecost Mass (Haydn Mass at St Peter's) in hope of finding an example, but it didn't happen in that case.
  • miacoyne
    Sorry about the off topic on Asperges me.
    Charles W, I would truly appreciate if you help me and others to focus on the orginal question of this thread on what is not permitted according to current Roman Church, not according to what you remember, or what your local church does. That can be a topic for another thread. Thank you.
  • CharlesW
    It would be wonderful if a side-by-side comparison of the two masses could be found. Then we could compare them. I have not seen such a comparison. Have you? Without having access to such, it seems we are all relying on our memories. Surely, someone somewhere has made a study of the two and compared the differences.
  • chonakchonak
    CharlesW wrote:
    Since the east considers Nicea to be a significantly higher level authority than Trent, it wouldn't have accepted any changes created by Trent.

Does this accurately represent the teaching of any of the Catholic Eastern Churches? Can anyone point to some source supporting it? It's possible that there may be a bit of mythology mixed in here. After all, the Council contains doctrinal standards of universal application (even if they were formulated in the language of Western theology).

What would be the point of diminishing the Council's authority, anyway? The liturgical prescriptions were not intended as binding on the Eastern Churches (which mostly had not come into full communion yet) and they were implemented afterward by Pope St. Pius V through the publication of the Missale Romanum, not Eastern books. (Liturgical latinization wasn't due to the Council.)
  • miacoyne
    Charles W. My question is not even about the differences between the two forms. Please read the title of the thread and the first post. I thought I made it clear. (maybe it's my poor English, I should post it in Korean? :-)

Jeffrey, thanks. I'm so glad to know that Sprinkle rite is not suppressed on ordinary Sundays.

Is the term 'suppressed' interchangeable with 'prohibited' when we talk about Church's instructions?

In Chonaks' list (thank you fopr the nice list),

"Psalm 42 at the foot of the altar is not in the OF"

Does this mean it is suppressed?

Also, "Last Gospel is suppressed." does this mean it is prohibited in Novus Ordo, or not required because it is not listed just as the psalm 42?
  • CharlesW
    Some of the Byzantine churches reunited with Rome by treaty. Those treaties specify that the the eastern Catholic churches are required to accept only the first seven councils as ecumenical. And you are correct, that the liturgical parts of Trent would have been irrelevant to the east. You would likely find the doctrinal parts from Trent referenced in eastern writings elsewhere, but likely not codified in one place. The east delights in being rather disorganized, I have noticed.

My point, which I did not state well or clearly, is that many seem to call practices resulting from Trent, "tradition," while I would say they are not. The church existed before Trent, and Trent made changes to some ancient "traditional" liturgical practices. Just as some seem to maintain that the church began with Vatican II, some seem to hold that it didn't exist in any other form before Trent. This is where I get out the soapbox and cry, "Bring back the sequences!" ;-) Also, keep in mind that while I am not a Latin, I do work with them. I feel obligated to follow their liturgical and musical rules as best I can. OF course, figuring out those rules can be an experience in frustration.

As I asked in a previous post, has anyone made a written side-by-side comparison of the EF and NO masses. It would be interesting, and possibly revealing, to compare the two line-by-line and liturgical practice-by-practice. When I think about it, I can't be sure what is different? I saw my last EF mass in 1988.
  • When I think about it, I can't be sure what is different

Thank you.
  • chonak, this is so common that the Pope actually writes about it in detail.
  • miacoyne
    If I may, i will start Charles W question in a new thread. It may be interesting for some, but I found it is confusing to others who are engaged in the topic of this thread.
    The new thread can also be a good place to discuss what the Roman Catholics uphold as "tradition," and compare the differences between the Trent and Eastern churches teachings.
  • CharlesW
    No need to start a new thread, but since you already have, O.K. I am more interested in comparing the two forms of mass in the west than comparing east with west. Resources, anyone? Where do we begin and where are the written comparisons?
  • "Some of the Byzantine churches reunited with Rome by treaty. Those treaties specify that the the eastern Catholic churches are required to accept only the first seven councils as ecumenical."

Whoa, this is news to me. It can't be true, can it? Vatican I doesn't apply to Eastern Rite Catholics? Evidence, please!
  • "The silent canon was an aberration to begin with, even being forbidden in the early days of the church."

When was it forbidden? In any case, a universal 'aberration' in Western rites (Roman, Ambrosian, etc.) since long before Trent. In the Eastern rites, too, most of the anaphora (and several other prayers) is prayed silently by priest while the choir sings something else. At least the Russians do so, both Orthodox and Greek Catholic. In the traditional Roman rite it has been still said loudly enough so that the concelebrants can hear in those rare cases when such is taking place (ordinations, etc.), also after Trent.

"I think it important to remember that what many consider "tradition" is the mass and practices imposed by the Council of Trent."

As far as the Missal is concerned, the Trent imposed almost nothing new. The Tridentine Missal is that of the Roman Curia as it was before the Trent, and an experienced priest now could take a plenary Missal of the 13th century and (apart from new feasts) celebrate Mass. True, the Tridentine Missal was imposed everywhere where they didn' t have their own pre-1370 liturgical books, so the latter could still be used. The spreading of the Missal of Roman Curia started already in 13th c. by Franciscans, and again in 15th c. by Benedictines, having installed one of the first printing presses in Subiaco.

"some seem to hold that it didn't exist in any other form before Trent. This is where I get out the soapbox and cry, "Bring back the sequences!" ;-)"

The fathers of Trent are pleading innocence ;-). The Mass of the Roman Curia never had those 'lost' sequences in the first place. Just look into a Franciscan Gradual of 13th century: 3 or 4 sequences, that' s it. You want culprits? 1. Gutenberg with his 'devilish' machine. 2. Luther and Co. The local traditions were wiped out by the protestants. Later, the missionaries educated and sent by the Propaganda came with the only Missal and Breviary they ever knew.
  • dad29
    Sequence "Dies Irae" removed from funeral Masses,
    Yes and no. The term "alia aptus" will allow the Dies Irae as an Offertory or Communion voluntary, too. It's in the rubrics.
  • Adding to Mr Chonak's list: EF triple Domine, non sum dignus said "once only" in the OF (Roman Missal)
  • miacoyne
    "In the earliest times Mass was celebrated in the Holy Grave, where the folded cloth was found, because Christians knew that the Eucharsit is primarily a representation, not of the Last Supper on Holy Thursday , but of the Lord’s death and Resurrection. Today in the church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, ...only a few people present at a Mass...the priest stays with the people in the anteroom until Creed. For the sacrifical part of the Mass, he enters the grave chamber. There he alone and invisible. The altar is is the niche in which the body of Jesus lay .."(from Heresy of Formlessness by Martin Mosebach, P.88).
    This is also well supported in J. Jungmman’s book, The Mass of the Roman Rite, that “the silent canon appears as early as in the first Roman ordo, where, after the mention of the Sanctus-chant, the rubric continues, Quem dum expleverint, surgit pontifex solus et intrat in canone. It continues that in the second Roman ordo, which represent a late Carolngian revision of the first, the rubric cited above is reworded as follows: surgit solus pontifex et tacite intrat in canonem. That the caonon, was a holy of holies which the priest alone could tread, was a concepts that was continually developed and consolidated. Other reasons for silent reciting the canon pointed in the same direction; the sacred words must not be profaned, lest we call down God’s punishment upon our heads.” (PP. 104 -105)

I found that silent canon has the most striking meaning and the origin even from the early church. It's hard to imagine that Vatican II forbid the sacred silent canon we have kept from the beginning. If it is truly forbidden in NO, it seems that the effort to make the canon audible actually diminishes the true meaning of the Holy Sacrifice and the Eucharist that has been kept from the beginning until now. If silent canon is a wrong practice and something that has to be corrected, why the Church is not correcting it in EF?
  • CharlesW
    Not being a chant diva of means, I actually have to work and don't sit around sipping wine and studying the essence and energies of ancient neumes - a nice thought, though, were such possible. ;-) Therefore my posting time can be limited, depending on the day of the week.

Andris Amolins, the silent canon was forbidden in the Emperor Justinian's Novella 137.

"Justinian I (527-565), dated AD 565, which legislates: “Moreover, we order all bishops and presbyters to say the prayers used in the the divine oblation and holy baptism not inaudibly, but in a voice that can be be heard by the faithful people, so that the souls of those who listen may be moved to greater compunction and raise up glorification to the Lord God...” Then Justinian paraphrases in support of his views 1 Cor 14:15-17 about how can one say “Amen” to your thanksgiving if the other person does not know what you are saying? For you may give thanks well enough but the other person is not built up. Then Rom 10:10: “For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved” — implying thereby that one must know what it is the mouth is saying in order to believe it with the heart and be saved. The Novella concludes: “Hence it is fitting that the prayers in the holy oblation and the other prayers be offered by the most holy bishops and presbyters in an audible tone to Our Lord Jesus Christ Our God, with the Father and the Holy Spirit...” Justinian ends by threatening compulsion and sanctions for non-compliance with his decree — proof positive that he was combatting an existing abuse and ordering a return to what he still considered the true tradition."

The article by Fr. Robert Taft, rather prominent in Eastern Catholic Circles and in Rome, also states:

"Despite Justinian’s legislation, from the 8th century on the Byzantine liturgical commentaries and manuscripts witness to the abandonment of the earlier tradition. Already in the earliest Byzantine liturgical manuscript, Barberini Gr. 336 from around 750, the Divine Liturgy has rubrics instructing that prayers be recited secretly. Around 1085-1095, chapter 39 of the Byzantine liturgical commentary known as the Protheoria confirms not only that Justinian’s battle had been lost, but that the silent anaphora was giving rise to perplexity and discontent among the faithful: “some of the congregation are puzzled and ask: “What is all that? What is the priest whispering to himself. And they want to know what the prayers are.”

The same degenerative process is observable in the West. Around AD 750, Ordo Romanus I, 88, already witnesses to the silent canon, and by the 9th c. we already see a clear distinction between the Preface, which is sung, and the postsanctus, beginning with the Te igitur, often preceded by the title Canon Missae or Canon Actionis, which the celebrant recited silently. "

I believe the silent canon was condemned, but eventually became the norm in some churches. Some Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic churches, including my own, do say the canon or anaphora aloud.
  • Mia, while doing some research on another topic (read: huge document project), I came across a document that answers your question with specific detail. Caution: I post this without knowing if more recent norms have come to pass. However, I have not seen lists like this in any other document, so I find it very interesting. It indicates what specifically was meant to be changed from the older form of Mass to the newer form.

http://adoremus.org/Interoecumenici.html

This is a link to the document, "Inter oecumenici",
    Instruction on implementing liturgical norms
    Consilium (of Sacred Congregation of Rites) - September 26, 1964

Under section I, Ordo Missae, for example, we find the following list of changes below. FORUM READERS PLEASE NOTE letter "f", which has been the subject of debate on these forums for some time... the silent canon in the OF. From this document, it would appear that NOT ALL of the canon is indicated to be sung or read allowed... Perhaps someone has more recent info that forbids any part of the canon being silent, but this document only calls for the END of the canon to be sung or read aloud. Not even the consecration is called to be sung or read aloud. Very interesting.

48. Until reform of the entire Ordo Missae, the points that follow are to be observed:
    a. The celebrant is not to say privately those parts of the Proper sung or recited by the choir or the congregation.

b. The celebrant may sing or recite the parts of the Ordinary together with the congregation or choir.

c. In the prayers at the foot of the altar at the beginning of Mass Psalm 42 is omitted. All the prayers at the foot of the altar are omitted whenever there is another liturgical rite immediately preceding.

d. In solemn Mass the subdeacon does not hold the paten but leaves it on the altar.

e. In sung Masses the secret prayer or prayer over the gifts is sung and in other Masses recited aloud.

f. The doxology at the end of the canon, from Per ipsum through Per omnia saecula saeculorum. R. Amen, is to be sung or recited aloud. Throughout the whole doxology the celebrant slightly elevates the chalice with the host, omitting the signs of the cross, and genuflects at the end after the Amen response by the people.

g. In recited Masses the congregation may recite the Lord's Prayer in the vernacular along with the celebrant; in sung Masses the people may sing it in Latin along with the celebrant and, should the territorial ecclesiastical authority have so decreed, also in the vernacular, using melodies approved by the same authority.

h. The embolism after the Lord's Prayer shall be sung or recited aloud.

i. The formulary for distributing holy communion is to be, Corpus Christi. As he says these words, the celebrant holds the host slightly above the ciborium and shows it to the communicant, who responds: Amen, then receives communion from the celebrant, the sign of the cross with the host being omitted.

j. The last gospel is omitted; the Leonine Prayers are suppressed.

k. It is lawful to celebrate a sung Mass with only a deacon assisting.

l. It is lawful, when necessary, for bishops to celebrate a sung Mass following the form used by priests.
  • Liam
    The 1964 document governed the interim Missal (1965-70); it was superseded in many respects by the "reform of the entire Ordo Missae" that the preamble of 48 refers to...such as the provision of the GIRM about the presidential texts, the specific rubric in the reformed Missal requiring the words of consecration to be said in a clear and distinct voice (whence you get the practice of priests slowing down and using a somewhat more proclamatory voice, et cet.).
  • CharlesW
    A question. Would all here accept GIRM as being the governing document for the celebration of the OF in the United States?
  • CharlesW, the GIRM is by no means comprehensive. In some places, the translation makes no sense. It provides a framework but it would be very wrong, even absurd, to believe that it is the whole rubrical document of the Roman Rite.

MA, thank you thank you thank you. Yours is the one clear and decisive answer. All other speculations on this thread are forgettable.
  • Our GIRM is also a translation, often bordering on a paraphrase, of the actual GIRM of the Missale Romanum, in Latin. If anyone thinks that the Mass, throughout all modern generations, in all corners of the globe, has been said according to absolutely universal norms, they are sadly mistaken. It may have been more-so before Vat. II, but since then, it has been very much a "no holds barred" sporting event.
  • Ok, I'm still not able to pinpoint a specific mandate that the canon be sung or read aloud in Roman documents, which would exclude the possibility of a silent canon.

Granting that the above document, http://adoremus.org/Interoecumenici.html, likely pertained to the transitional '65 missal, as Liam claims, I went to subsequent documents, including the one referenced below. It is Instruction III on Constitution on Liturgy, from the Congregation for Divine Worship. (The one above was Instruction I on Constitution on Liturgy, also from the Congregation for Divine Worship.)

http://adoremus.org/LiturgicaeInstaurationes.html

Liturgicae Instaurationes
    Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship
    Instruction on the orderly carrying out of the Constitution on the Liturgy, September 5, 1970

The only mention of how the canon is to be performed comes in this paragraph. In calling for the canon to be recited, there is no mention of a change to mandatory sung or read aloud performance.

4. The eucharistic prayer more than any other part of the Mass is, by reason of his office, the prayer of the priest alone [22]. Recitation of any part by a lesser minister the assembly, or any individual is forbidden. Such a course conflicts with the hierarchic character of the liturgy in which all are to do all but only those parts belonging to them [23]. The priest alone, therefore, is to recite the entire eucharistic prayer.
  • Next stop, the

General Instruction of the Roman Missal, from
    Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship
    March 27, 1975

http://adoremus.org/GIRM(music).html

If there was a definite change that involved forbidding the earlier practice, it should be here. I still don't find anything conclusive. HOWEVER, I can see where Liam's reference might be coming from. Please find the pertinent paragraphs, 10 and 12, below.

But first, two points-
    1) From the structure of paragraph 10, it is not entirely clear that the canon or eucharistic prayer is included in "the presidential prayers". I see how it could be interpreted this way, but it is not conclusive in itself.
    2) If one is to interpret the canon as being part of the presidential prayers, then one would understand no. 12 to rule out the practice of a silent/sotto voce canon.
    3) To follow precedent, the practice of the silent/sotto voce canon, still allowed in the transitional '65 Missal, would need to be clearly articulated. No such terminology exists, at least not this far.

I have a pretty strong knowledge of the 2002 GIRM, and can't recall anything forbidding the silent canon. But if someone can point to a reference in a Roman document that makes this clear, that would be helpful. I don't have enough Latin background to read the 2002 in Latin, but someone who does could also help solidify this.

10. Among the parts assigned to the priest, the eucharistic prayer is preeminent; it is the high point of the entire celebration. Next are the prayers: the opening prayer or collect, the prayer over the gifts, and the prayer after communion. The priest, presiding over the assembly in the person of Christ, addresses these prayers to God in the name of the entire holy people and all present.[19] Thus there is good reason to call them "the presidential prayers."

and

12. The nature of the presidential prayers demands that they be spoken in a loud and clear voice and that everyone present listen with attention.[21] While the priest is reciting them there should be no other prayer and the organ or other instruments should not be played.
  • Liam
    MA

If the canon is not a presidential prayer, then accompaniment is not forbidden to it. Having been a strenuous opponent of the soundtrack approach to eucharistic prayers, you can perhaps see where my complaint is ruddered on this point. There are consequences to being "creative" in finding apparent silences, and treating these instructions as descriptive, rather than prescriptive. You get the drift. Whatever the solution, it will be a two-edged sword. Be careful in choosing.