Silent Canon in Ordinary Form
  • Chrism
    Two points:

1) "The CMAA’s purpose is the advancement of musica sacra in keeping with the norms established by competent ecclesiastical authority."

2) The voice used in reading the canon has nothing to do with musica sacra.
  • mahrt
    The observance of rubrics at a papal Mass is not a good precedent for practice elsewhere, simply because the Pope is the one person who does not have to abide by the GIRM; the regulation of the Roman liturgy is the sole purview of the Roman Pontiff. I think this Pope would be loath to take advantage of such a loophole, but theoretically it is there.

It is said that the voice used in reading the canon has nothing to do with musica sacra. This is not quite true, because in singing a choral Mass, the Sanctus and Benedictus take considerable time. To be able to say the canon sotto voce during the Sanctus is an economy of time and attention.

This is a very practical matter, because in some places, the choral Sanctus is not permitted--not because the GIRM seems to rule it out, but because the celebrant views it as delaying the Mass. Unfortunately, Westminster Cathedral does not usually sing the Sanctus from the choral Mass they are singing. The congregation always sings the Creed (and they sing it very well, and at a pretty quick tempo.) This leaves the Choral Mass about half sung, since the Credo is by far the longest movement.

I would contend that if the fostering of the Treasury of sacred Music includes polyphony, and that a substantial part of that repertory is Mass Ordinaries, and that the five-movement Mass Ordinary is an integral piece, not just scattered pieces to be selected from at will, then the performance of the entire Mass Ordinary should really be taken seriously.
  • Thank you Dr. Mahrt. Do you have experience in or a view on the permissibility of the silent canon in the ordinary form? Have you seen this done in various places? Is there a way that it can be defended?
  • CharlesW
    I think one of the things posters most often accuse the NPM folks of, is not following the rules. Do we want to be open to the same charge being thrown back at us? It also seems true that some folks so pine for the EF mass, they want to make the OF into as close a copy of it as possible. They are different. We should respect the integrity of both forms of mass.
  • I'm not convinced, CtB, of your claim that folks want the OF copying the EF. But I chalk that up to the verb "copy." I rather think many emulate the solemnity, dignity and reverence that is self-evident in a well-performed (as opposed to the pre-conciliar "gas and go") EF.
    Our parish finally has a vicar fluent in liturgical Latin (says his Office thusly.) So, now that we know he'll be with us for at least of couple of years, he's agreed to petition the pastor for a once per month OF in Latin, save the lessons and Gospel/Homily, ad orientem, full voiced. (We'll even chant the lessons/gradual/tract.) Only then will we get a sense of whether the OF in the Church's mother tongue will resonate in the hearts of our folks. I don't know if this will actually come about, been lobbying for about four years now for a Latin OF (regardless of the promulgation of SP.)
    But if the turnout is hearty and steady, the Latin OF need not be considered transitory or dying, in my estimation.
  • CharlesW
    I don't think the OF is transitory or dying. It is the form of the mass currently in use, whether in English or Latin. Some may not like it, but that's what it is. Granted, some in authority could do a much better job of seeing that the rubrics are enforced. But even if the OF is in Latin and celebrated with due solemnity and dignity, there is that contingent that will never consider it good enough.

Congratulations on the vicar. You are fortunate, indeed.
  • I am certain that I heard a radio broadcast of Pope Benedict celebrating Mass in the Ordinary Form with a choral Sanctus punctuated by a break for the audible consecration and then continued with the choral Benedictus. This Mass was for the anniversary of the Swiss guard a number of years ago.
  • mahrt
    The example of the Pope's Mass at Westminster Cathedral not only included a Gospel procession into the nave and the pulpit, but this was accompanied by a Gregorian alleluia sung only be the choir (something seemingly not permitted by GIRM). There is a technicality: the Pope can dispense from any obligation of the GIRM, and we cannot.

There is a slight problem with the Sanctus and the audible canon. Our practice is to sing the entire Sanctus and then the priest sings the entire canon. Some find this singing of the Sanctus to be too long. But there is another issue: the Benedictus was composed to be sung after the consecration, and there is often quite a change in tone; as one of my choir said of the Benedictus of the Byrd Masses: "When you hear the Benedictus, you know that something has happened.

I have sometimes been told that the Sanctus "holds up the Mass." Conceptually, this is incorrect; the Sanctus is a part of the Mass; there is a good question of how long it should be, but the Sanctus is integral to the Mass and is not holding it up, just as the sermon does not hold up the Mass.
  • dad29
    Seems to me that Dr. Mahrt's resolution is sensible; sing the Sanctus, then pray the Canon.

As to the Benedictus, the good Dr. implies that the "Benedictus after the Consecration" is best due to the nature of the music. Seems to me that one could do the same thing; after the Consecration start the Ben., and when it's finished, the priest resumes the Canon. It doesn't fit the "norm" but then, that's the way the music was written; one suspects that--like other 'norms'--this one is modifiable.
  • Sure, let the tail wag the dog. Liturgy made the servant of music, a musician's dream! Feh.

Please note that this is one of the key conceptual differences in the musical structure of the old and new forms of the rite. In the old form, the Benedict was always done in the proper place, as the last half of the Sanctus immediately before the Canon. It was simply said by the priest; you wouldn't hear it or notice it. The problem is that people who hear the choir spin out some five-minute Sanctus and Benedictus think they are listening to the liturgy, when in reality the liturgical Sanctus was over ages ago and now they are only listening to a part of the para-liturgy, sometimes closely and sometimes only distantly related to the action of the Mass. This is the same reason why people get confused at seeing the priest walk over and sit down in the middle of the Gloria -- shouldn't he be standing for this glorious hymn of praise? Oh, wait, he already finished the "hymn of praise" and is now just biding his time for the choir to catch up so that he can get a word in edgewise.

For all the bad press that "active participation in the liturgy" gets, I think it is important to observe that one of the key insights of the reformers was that we are not merely talking about stressing "active participation in the liturgy," we are talking about stressing "active participation in the liturgy." Active participation in the para-liturgy is all well and good -- sing along from your Jubilate Deos and so forth -- but from a theological standpoint the action in which the congregation is called to participate, in a way proper to their station, should be the same action in which the priest is participating. When this fundamental connection breaks down, then you wind up with the spectacle of a sort of sacred opera or oratorio going on in the nave, with the priest butting in from time to time to provide, as J. Ratzinger said, "a kind of periodic recitative" with his chants. In that sort of atmosphere, of course, it hardly makes a whit of difference whether you perform vivisection on the Sanctus to excise its second half and move it, from the position before the Canon which it had occupied for a millennium or more, to someplace where the Church had never contemplated putting it.

That might have been fine in the old Mass -- well, it was not fine, but the increasing chasm between the liturgy and the para-liturgy meant that considerations of musical convenience and aesthetic taste (dramatic music, "you know that something has happened") were allowed to trump the natural and sensible form of the liturgy -- but it is quite certainly not acceptable today. The liturgy that the people are listening to, and hopefully singing, is the same liturgy that is going on at the altar. One may or may not agree with the trope that "active participation means listening attentively," but even if it is true, then we must recognize that one of the chief components of the reform was that when the people are listening intently, actively participating, it ought to be the liturgy in which they are participating. No more sacred oratorios while the priest carries out the "mysteries" by himself on his own schedule. (And that's why the Church calls them "mysteries," right? Because they must be sufficiently obscured from the people as to remain "mysterious"?).

People scoff when the reformers say that the people should be more engaged in the action of the Mass, and rightly so when this is misunderstood as implying that most people should be carrying things around, proclaiming things from the ambo, and handling the sacred species. The reform, indeed, does not mean that the people must be singing to be participating. What it means is that when they are participating, be it by singing or by prayerful listening, it should be in the same thing the priest is doing as their leader and representative, and not in something he "really" finished five minutes before, unbeknownst to everyone else.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    MarkThompson,

You have shared your thoughts candidly. I would welcome an opportunity to share a few more, if I may.

Oh, wait, he already finished the "hymn of praise" and is now just biding his time for the choir to catch up so that he can get a word in edgewise.

There is a long history of how the priest in the Western Rite came to pray (at the altar) certain prayers in a low voice, sometimes while the choir sings the same prayer. The Gloria & Credo are two examples (in the Extraordinary Form). This practice and its history are both exceedingly beautiful. Fortescue, among others, treats this in depth. That being said, the Reforms following the Second Vatican Council did alter some of these things.

At this time, I would merely point out that, from what I am told, several of the Eastern Rites take this "displacement" (viz. the priest saying prayers completely independently of the deacon & congregation) to a much more radical level than anything the West ever saw.

Perhaps those who are more well versed in the Eastern Rites could elaborate on this.

Mark, this is a very longstanding practice, and I imagine that those who love the (ancient) Eastern Rites would not be happy about changes in this area.

I am curious to know if your (strong) criticism also applies to their Rites? Their Rites are (like the Western Rite) very ancient & venerable.

People scoff when the reformers say that the people should be more engaged in the action of the Mass

Perhaps it would be helpful to specify which "people" scoff at this idea. I've never known anyone who is serious about the sacred liturgy to scoff at this idea. If they do, then they are just plain ignorant.
  • dad29
    In the old form, the Benedict was always done in the proper place, as the last half of the Sanctus immediately before the Canon. It was simply said by the priest; you wouldn't hear it or notice it.

Really?

So what you're telling us is either: 1) the period from Palestrina through 1969 was not part of "always" or: 2) that the Popes during that entire time (save Paul VI) were unable to fathom "actuosa participatio".

My. That's quite a claim!

Your thesis is grounded in ultra-utilitarianism. The Easterns, who arguably preserve much more 'ancient' rites than do the Romans, would be confused by your assertions. It's likely that even the Cistercians would be, too.
  • Mark, not sure why the choir singing a text displaced in time from the priest reading the same text is inconsistent with both being fully the liturgy.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'm still catching up on this thread… but with regards to the discussion on "active participation," I'd remind folks that there was a really interesting dissertation on the subject (by Walter W. Whitehouse) discussed over at the Café this past summer.
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I have no beef with praying at different times with the priest. I have no problems with the priests sitting down. Yeah, it looks weird, but I also have heard from many of them that they are meditating on the text being sung, etc. They- and the people- don't mind the extended prayers every now and then.
    To call this layering of time when prayers are doubled a para liturgy is a bit tricky, and possibly insulting to the choir and the faithful if one is suggesting that once the priest has finished his recitation, the same texts sung by choir and/or faithful somehow don't matter. Surely this is not back door clericalism?

Why single out the Sanctus, anyway? In EF sung masses lots of prayers are said by the celebrant and sung by the choir and/or faithful.

Seeing as the Council clearly upholds polyphonic repertoire- by name- and knowing that a large part of that
    repertoire consists of polyphonic ordinaries, it follows that the Sanctus/Benedictus is also upheld. Otherwise, it might look like some of the reformers were a little bit hasty. Considering the treatment of the propers, I wonder about hastiness in general... I am grateful we are going through a period of reflection and some corrective action, where questions as to the fruits of specific liturgical reforms are more and more welcome.
  • CharlesW
    The silent canon is an abuse that has been condemned from the earliest days. It has been an issue in both the western and eastern churches. Why, I don't know. I have heard "creeping clericalism" for years, but whether that is the appeal behind it is beyond me. I agree that some glorious music has been composed in the west that complements it beautifully. However, the silent canon was enough of a liturgical abuse that the emperor Justinian condemned it in his own day. I sometimes believe there are no new abuses, just the same ones institutionalized again and again.
  • So, if the silent canon is a liturgical abuse found in the EF (and elsewhere) and the pope is encouraging more celebrations of mass in the EF in Summorum... is the pope encouraging the expansion a liturgical abuse? Somehow that doesn't make sense.
    Maybe our chief liturgist doesn't view a silent canon as a liturgical abuse?

And maybe the terms 'silent' and 'sotto voce' do not mean the same thing?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I had read the first volume of Whitehouse's dissertation earlier, and today I downloaded and speed-read the second volume. It's an amazing work.
  • CharlesW
    Things change over time. Yesterday's abuse becomes today's sacred tradition, if it is done often enough.
  • Well, not to press on a point too much, but if some abuses become accepted over hundreds of years (like the organ used in sacred liturgy, for example) it's not properly called an abuse any longer but rather a custom or tradition.
  • CharlesW
    But isn't it a scary thought that some of the things none of us like today, may be enshrined by the next century?
  • Indeed! I guess that's why things are subjected to 'the test of time'.
    Which brings us back to the idea of layering prayers.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The silent canon is an abuse that has been condemned from the earliest days.

Again, since we seem to be voicing our thoughts on this issue, I feel compelled to give my opinion, as well. In no sense can the silent Canon in the EF be thought of as an abuse. Fortescue does mention that there was an Emperor who did not care for this practice, but that hardly makes it an abuse. Thank you, CarlesW and others, for the opportunity to share views on this issue.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • CharlesW
    For whatever reason, this subject tends to periodically come up on the forum under a topic like, "Let's make the OF like the EF."

From what I read, it appears that the silent canon was considered an abuse until the seventh century. It began to appear more often in the western mass after that time.

However, I think there is another issue here. Did Vatican II in its reforms, consider it a flaw or incorrect practice that should be removed from the liturgy? Of course, to those who look to the 1962 mass as a standard to imitate, the answer would be clear. To those who don't accept that mass as any kind of standard, the removal of the silent canon is a necessary correction to an earlier erroneous practice.

Granted, in large churches before the invention of amplification, the canon would have been perceived as silent for any practical purpose.
  • dad29
    Also, in monasteries where several Masses were celebrated at one time, the 'silent Canon' would be very practical. Not necessary, but certainly practical. Similarly, in countries where Catholics were persecuted (think England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales), "quiet celebrations" were the rule (unless one was possessed of a large castle).

Those are 'practical', of course, not "normative." But if Fortescue found only one objector....

For that matter, why is there an "issue" with a choral rendition of the Sanctus and Benedictus, having the priest wait a bit to say the Canon? It might extend the length of the Mass by a grand total of 10 minutes (or less). So?
  • CharlesW
    Better the music than than an extended sermon, that's for sure. ;-) There would be no issue in the EF, but the OF is not structured that way. The Sanctus and Benedictus don't exist as separate entities anymore. I am one of those folks who has no desire to turn the OF into the EF. I expend my efforts on getting better music into the OF, not remaking the OF into something else.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Silent canon:

Group one - think about "Row, row, row your boat..."
    Group two - wait three seconds, then think about "Row, row, row your boat..."
    Group three - wait six seconds, then think about "Row, row, row your boat..."
    Et cetera

*Ducks*

Sorry, I simply could not resist.
    Thanked by 2Andrew_Malton Kathy
  • CharlesW
    He-he-he! :-)
  • Liam
    The advent of the silent canon was rationalized after the fact. Long after the fact. It was resisted for many centuries. It became practical at the time when the popular vernacular and the sacred tongue were becoming distinct from each other - then, as eminent churches once again got larger in succeeding centuries, there was little practical sense in proclaiming aloud a long, tedious prayer that could neither be heard distinctly nor understood well. It has no good place in the OF.
  • CharlesW
    Well said, Liam! Although I must admit, I like CHGiffen's silent canon. :-)
  • From what I read, it appears that the silent canon was considered an abuse until the seventh century. It began to appear more often in the western mass after that time.

I'm not sure what the writer is reading, but the legitimacy of the silent canon is confirmed by a millennial, immemorial Tradition of the Church, so it hardly makes sense to refer to it as an abuse. Another reference (by another poster) to the Emperor Justinian refers, I assume, to his decision of 26 March 565 about prayers recited aloud. There isn't sufficient evidence to indicate that the Emperor was referring to the Canon of the Mass and scholars like Edmund Bishop and Louis Bouyer (who have studied the original Greek document and not a late Latin translation) support such a view. Furthermore the testimonies of Pope Innocent I (5th c.) and the Nestorian Narsai (6th c.) of the Syrian Church both witness to the silent canon as an already long-standing practice, which they uphold and do not censure.

However, I think there is another issue here. Did Vatican II in its reforms, consider it a flaw or incorrect practice that should be removed from the liturgy? Of course, to those who look to the 1962 mass as a standard to imitate, the answer would be clear. To those who don't accept that mass as any kind of standard, the removal of the silent canon is a necessary correction to an earlier erroneous practice.

I'm not aware that Vatican II had anything to say about changing the way in which the Canon of the Mass was prayed. The "1962 mass" (sic) is simply the one Mass of the Roman Rite (excepting variants of various religious orders) in the state to which it had organically developed over 2,000 years on the eve of the II Vatican Council. It was not a "standard to imitate," as the immemorial Mass is inimitable, but the only Mass to which the Fathers of the Council could have envisioned moderate reforms, to wit: "there must be no innovations unless the good of the Church genuinely and certainly requires them; and care must be taken that any new forms adopted should in some way grow organically from forms already existing." (SC 23) The Council did also state that "at the proper times all should observe a reverent silence." (SC 30) It would be hard to imagine in 1963 a more proper time for silence in the liturgy than during the Canon of the Mass, which is the Holy of Holies of the sacred temple of the Liturgy.

To "those who don't accept that mass as any kind of standard," I recommend that they read or re-read then-Cardinal Ratzinger's The Spirit of the Liturgy and other liturgical writings about the fabricated nature of the "new Mass" and Summorum Pontificum and ask themselves whether or not they are thinking with the Church.

Dom Prosper Guéranger, the great Abbot of Solesmes, in his work On the Holy Mass, elucidates in a beautiful way the meaning of silence at the most solemn moment of the Mass:

After these words, commences the Canon, that mysterious prayer in the midst of which heaven bows down to earth, and God descends unto us. The voice of the Priest is no longer heard: yea, even at the Altar, all is silence. It was thus, says the Book of Wisdom, in the quiet of silence, and while the night was in the midst of her course, that the Almighty Word came down from his royal throne (Wisd. xviii. 14, 15). Let us await him in a like silence, and respectfully fix our eyes on what the Priest does in the holy place.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    If my memory serves, Cardinal Ratzinger has reminded us, "The Council did not reform the Liturgy: it ordered its revision."
  • It was explained to me by a traditional priest that the reason we have a silent canon is that "holy things are veiled". A sung canon completely destroys this, at least in the West.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Mendes
  • Liam, while I want to consider your assertions, using the term 'tedious' to describe a prayer millions of fellow Catholics join their hearts to kind of chips away at your credibility.
    Citations and or sources would also help.
    Pedro, thanks for yours. Interesting.
  • CharlesW
    Get thee to an EF mass if that is your cup of tea. The OF is now the standard, and will never be the EF. It wasn't designed to be. Does it need improvement? Yes, musically it often does. I do find the understandable canon a vast improvement over the congregation nodding off with their rosaries. I am old enough to remember that, btw.
  • I understand the OF is currently predominant. That's not the question.
    Is or was the silent canon truly an abuse?
    Caricatures, anecdotes and personal memories vary widely. Some people remember congregations praying fervently from their missals, others remember differently.

I would hope for sources to confidently accompany such assertions.
    Otherwise ones claim may look like it's mainly based on their own preferences and decades old memories. That may be interesting, but it does not make for compelling, fact-based discussion.
  • CharlesW
    I agree with Liam, in that some of the practices in the EF mass were rationalized after the fact. One can quote Guéranger, and others, who glorified and justified practices that were abuses and accretions in their own times. The mass came out of the Western Roman Empire, and was affected and corrupted by the complete collapse of civilization. The Dark Ages and the Renaissance added accretions and excesses as well. The accumulation of these over the centuries, caused a council of the Church at Vatican II to find it necessary to correct and revise the mass. Granted, the intentions of the Council have often been applied to the point of ridiculous extremes. However, the mass was neither perfect nor sublime, or the Council would not have seen a need to revise it. To assert that something is not an abuse because it is included in the EF mass, doesn't make sense to me.
  • "However, the mass was neither perfect nor sublime, or the Council would not have seen a need to revise it. "

???

Other reasons aside, they believed the Mass needed revision because they wanted to connect with people in the modern era, not because it may or may not have been perfect of sublime.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    I think they wanted to revise it because it had been too influenced by the world which produced it. Also, a succession of popes had routinely tinkered with it over the centuries. Even Trent made revisions to the mass, some more extensive than those of Vatican II. To find a time when it was not being tinkered with in some fashion, would be the exception. Would Pope Gregory even recognize the mass of more recent centuries? I wonder.
  • Liam
    MaryCarr

My use of tedious was a reference to the work a priest would have had to do in that evolving context. My apologies for the equivocation.
  • CharlesW
    The EF mass is unquestionably beautiful. Did it survive unaltered and uncontaminated by the world from Roman times? Hardly. It's truly beautiful, but seemingly more influenced by the Renaissance than the Roman Empire. I am glad it has survived for those who desire it. Preservation of all the rites is something I strongly support. As to whether or not it is relevant to people today, is something they themselves must decide.
  • In the Order of Mass as printed in the previous Roman Missal (2nd edition), there was a rubric printed under the Sanctus that stated:

In all Masses the priest may say the eucharistic prayer in an audible voice.

Thus, it was permissible during the time of the previous Roman Missal to say the Eucharistic Prayer quietly in the Ordinary Form.

This rubric is deleted from the current 3rd edition.
  • Fr. G, how interesting. Was that rubric deleted in the Latin original of the 3rd edition?
    Was it ever included in the Latin original? I ask becuase I have heard of things found in translation that were not mentioned in the original Latin rubrics, and vice versa.
    Is it possible that such a rubric was included as a means of clarifying a continued tradition, and that it was not thought necessary to place it in the current translation?

Liam, thanks for clarifying. :)
    I am still very open to hearing your sources.
  • dad29
    The mass came out of the Western Roman Empire, and was affected and corrupted by the complete collapse of civilization. The Dark Ages and the Renaissance added accretions and excesses as well. The accumulation of these over the centuries, caused a council of the Church at Vatican II to find it necessary to correct and revise the mass.

"Affected and corrupted"? "Accretions and Excesses"?

What you need is a bit more drama.

The first "revision" of the 1962 Mass was published in 1965. Remember that? It was almost identical with the '62 Rite.

You seem to think that there is a "pure" Roman rite someplace--so long as it's back before the Middle Ages. That line of thinking went out of style with the retirement of R. Weakland and/or the death of Bugnini.
  • CharlesW
    No, a "pure"Roman rite doesn't exist anywhere. There have been too many fingers in that pie. Also, influences from other rites. Elements of the original rite exist, but the mass was affected by many happenings between the fall of Rome and Trent.

Certainly, accretions and duplications were taken out of the mass at Vatican II and afterwards. I personally remember the Last Gospel and prayer to St. Michael disappearing, as well as, a re-write of the Mass for the Dead. We were told at the time, that those were accretions, or in the case of the Mass for the Dead, the black vestments originated during the Black Death. I was very young at the time of Vatican II, so there may have been other things removed I wasn't aware of.

Even the eastern liturgies have had minor changes, although nothing on the scale of changes in the west.

Chant survived over the ages, but it wasn't static, either. We have no idea what it sounded like, only modern suppositions and educated guesses. I have wondered if Pope Gregory the Great had heard Renaissance polyphony, would he have reacted like Mozart at a Metallica concert.

I have a copy of that 1965 missal, btw, and have recently dusted it off to compare with the current version 3. The new translation is closer to the 1965 missal, but the 1965 only had one canon, and it was in Latin. That canon, in English, is not routinely used in most churches in my area. Nationally, I don't know how much it is used.

Over all, I think R3 is a better translation. I have noticed the priests seem to be taking it seriously and following it more closely. The congregation appears more attentive, which is good. All the dire warnings and predictions about it haven't happened.
  • dad29
    The "second" (or "third" Confiteor was recited by the altar-boys immediately prior to Communion; the priest then re-said the "Misereatur" prayer (an absolution).

That was removed by John XXIII when the 1962 Rite was approved; ergo, it does NOT belong in the EF Mass. However, lots of people think otherwise.

By the way, in the same revision, the "Benedicamus Domino" dismissal was reduced from 'every Sunday in Lent' to only a few occasions/year.
  • dad29
    There is a good case to be made for that silent Canon, by the way. The same case that can be made for musicians to just. stop. making. music. once in a while.

Elijah encountered the same in the prophets of Baal. (see 1 Kgs 18) Their worship was a spectacle. They hopped around the altar, slashed themselves with knives and swords, raved and cried aloud to their god. They sought a swift and big response but received none. It was the quiet, patient prayer of Elijah that won the true God’s hearing. Later, at Mount Sinai, the prophet learned first-hand that God is not in the big and loud and swift – not in an earthquake or the fire or the wind – but in the still small voice. (see 1 Kgs 19)

That passage follows another one describing the silence of God while Moses was on the mountain--when the Israelites decided to make the golden calf.

See: https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2018/06/17/small-silent-still/

The above essay was in this morning's email. Later this morning I attended Mass (OF) and also as usual the D.M. had a case of keyboard diarrhea.

On return to the ranch, saw that Rorate Coeli and K. Pluth's Chant Cafe both mentioned a Commonweal essay which also spoke well of 'the silence.'

Hmmmmm.
  • ghmus7
    Dos3n't anyone find it strange and weird that we have two different masses with different rules that don't apply to the other mass!
    For the EF no vernacular hymns and canon said quietly. For the OF the quiet canon is a big no no!
    I recall Pope B arguing for the cross pollinization of the two rites, I think it would be brilliant if they were allowed to influence each other.
  • stulte
    I think it would be brilliant if they were allowed to influence each other.

No, thank you.
  • Ghmus, Stulte,

I'll propose a manner in which the two could influence each other:

the EF could teach the OF what the rite should look like, and the OF could teach the EF something about the virtue of quick obedience to valid instruction by cooperating with EF's advice.