Gregorio? How do you use this thing?!
  • I'm trying to figure out how this works? I have a Mac running OSX. I clicked "download" and it brings me to a list of files, which one do I download? Then it tells me I need MacTex? What is this?!?! No graphical interface? How does it print? What IS this thing?!! I just want to write out simple chant notation for my responsorial psalms. Please help!
  • Installing Gregorio can indeed be tricky. But luckily, Richard Chonak provides this wonderful web interface: http://gregorio.gabrielmass.com. See also this thread: http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3733&page=1#Item_0.

Steven
  • Tom--

I HIGHLY recommend Chonak's web interface for using Gregorio. You have to be a pseudo-hacker to download, install and use the app any other way.

This is the responsorial psalm I typeset for this week:

-------

initial-style: 1;
    commentary: Ps 113;
    annotation: GR. VIII;
    %%
    (c4)PRa{i}se(ji) the(g) Lord(hg..) (,) who(g) lifts(fd) up(e) the(f) poor.(g.) (::)

-------

Just copy this code into the box, experiment with it a bit, and I think you'll see how it works.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for the encouragement about the gregorio web interface at gregorio.gabrielmass.com!

To get back to Tom's (tlelyo) initial question: gregorio is a tool that makes chant typesetting possible, but it's not complete by itself. It builds on another typesetting package called "LaTeX", so you'd have to install the Mac version of that software also.

LaTeX was developed starting in 1978 to typeset scientific documents on Unix systems. In that era before Macs and MS-Windows, programs didn't have any graphical interface on the "WYSIWYG" principle. Instead, you would use a plain-text editor to create a text file for your document, process it (that takes a few seconds), and get a file with printable output: nowadays that output consists of a PDF file. LaTeX has been used to typeset whole books, so the possibilities are really quite broad.

But since LaTeX requires a lot of set-up work and has a significant learning curve, I created the web interface mentioned above to handle simple cases. Enjoy!
  • chonak,

I am using your page to typeset an antiphon for vespers which uses a podtus initio debilis. In the instructional pages on the gregorio website, I am told that simply entering a hyphen before the first note of this neume will accomplish what I want, but when I do it ends up producing a simple diminutive liquescent.

So this:

pro(g)ce(-gh)dens(g>)

ends up creating this:

pro(g)ce(hg~)dens(g>).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Treat the hyphen as a letter instead of a neume by placing it outside the parentheses:

pro(g)ce-(gh)dens(g>)